• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Kibbles

syllogism said:
You can save anywhere on PC and only in safe houses on consoles.

No, it saves after you beat missions on consoles too.

Also, how do you guys play FPS games on the PS3 controller? I can't stand it.

Nizz

Kibbles said:
No, it saves after you beat missions on consoles too.

With my hands? Honestly, it's not bad at all...

Kibbles

zewone said:
Yep. This game is a huge pain in the ass.

If it had a quick travel system like Oblivion or Fallout 3, I'd probably like it a lot.

Unless it's patched (not likely), I'm going to have to say this game sucks.
It does have quick travel in it :lol

Also, I care way more about the MP and map editor than Single Player.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This is game is freaking nuts. So atmospheric - that lonely, desolate jungle, the floating leaves making you think there are dudes to snipe.

And the save system is kind of like Dead Rising but less in a "fuck I just lost 20 hours of play", and more in a "holy shit its the dead of night, this shitty jeep is throwing its headlamps about 5 feet in front of me, I can't see a thing but I hear sounds everywhere, HOLY SHIT A ZEBRA".

I'm gonna need some new pants.

Stealth

syllogism said:

That, and the texture quality on PC >>>>>>> Consoles. Just watched the trailer for the game on my PS3 and it looked like a mess compared with the gorgeous PC shots.

zewone

Kibbles said:
It does have quick travel in it :lol

Also, I care way more about the MP and map editor than Single Player.
Four bus stops does not equal quick travel.

You should actually try playing the game first.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kibbles said:
Oh really? UT3, CoD4 and especially Resistance wants to have a word with you.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Stealth said:
That, and the texture quality on PC >>>>>>> Consoles. Just watched the trailer for the game on my PS3 and it looked like a mess compared with the gorgeous PC shots.

No fuck that.

If you quick save every few steps you will destroy this game's intense feeling. That brutal nervous tension you feel when you're driving down a dirt road, and you hear a second vehicle engine behind you, you look out the back window and see a jeep careering down the road towards you. The fact that if these dudes end you that you'll be sent back to your last save makes it 100x more frightening.

When you're deep in a gunfight with these bandits you should be bricking yourself, not quick saving each time someone goes down.

By all means play on PC, but I implore you not to use quick save.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
zewone said:
Four bus stops does not equal quick travel.

And fuck that too. Why bother playing a freeroaming game if you're just going to snap your fingers and jump from point to point on the map. You might as well just play a linear game.

UBisoft - Montreal LOVES xbox hardware!! These guys always can show what xbox hardware is capable of..FarCry2 on 360 is simply STUNNING!!

Am i the only one that thinks once the PC version is out that FarCry 2 will be on par with Crysis visually? I mean FarCry2 on the 360 looks damn near as good as Crysis.

I have a cutting edge pc..i play the hell out of Crysis and Crysis Warhead too... ALOT of times playing FarCry2 on my xbox 360 im in just awe at the visuals, the amazon rivers, the landscapes, the far draw distance,etc.

Now once this hits the pc and we can add some narly AA and AF to the game and raise the resolution some..i can really see FarCry2 can honestly go head to head with Crysis Visuals. The physics are there as well ..just like in crysis too!

...this game looks freaking NICE on xbox 360, who ever says the 360 is uncapable of Crysis like visuals are wrong.. the 360 IS capable of it..atleast its capable of getting damn close to it..wow. Dead Space is another game that just looks so sexy on 360.

Oh one more thing..that atmopshere is bar none.. BADASS!!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
2760413560_62000624e9_o.jpg

I dunno about Crysis level, but it can look amazing at times - setting sun, waterfalls, god rays through the trees.

dLMN8R

Mr.Potato Head said:
UBisoft - Montreal LOVES xbox hardware!! These guys always can show what xbox hardware is capable of..FarCry2 on 360 is simply STUNNING!!

Am i the only one that thinks once the PC version is out that FarCry 2 will be on par with Crysis visually? I mean FarCry2 on the 360 looks damn near as good as Crysis.

I have a cutting edge pc..i play the hell out of Crysis and Crysis Warhead too... ALOT of times playing FarCry2 on my xbox 360 im in just awe at the visuals, the amazon rivers, the landscapes, the far draw distance,etc.

Now once this hits the pc and we can add some narly AA and AF to the game and raise the resolution some..i can really see FarCry2 can honestly go head to head with Crysis Visuals. The physics are there as well ..just like in crysis too!

...this game looks freaking NICE on xbox 360, who ever says the 360 is uncapable of Crysis like visuals are wrong.. the 360 IS capable of it..atleast its capable of getting damn close to it..wow. Dead Space is another game that just looks so sexy on 360.

Far Cry 2 is damn beautiful, but I doubt that it would surpass Crysis's High detail setting let alone Very High. Not only do the regular effects not seem to be as impressive, but things like destructible buildings are handled altogether differently in Far Cry 2 as well. Destructible buildings in Far Cry 2 are based on pre-created model-swaps, with debris that simply disappears, while Crysis' is fully destructible with the rubble sticking around for you to walk through after its done.

Same goes with foliage and such too - simply disappears in Far Cry 2, but stays an actual object that you can interact with in Crysis.

Comparing the two games is pretty silly IMO since they're both damn beautiful, but if you absolutely had to compare them, I'm willing to bet that even Far Cry 2 maxed out won't keep up with Crysis on High details.

Oh also, the people in Far Cry 2 look and animate like ass :p

McBacon said:
2760413560_62000624e9_o.jpg

I dunno about Crysis level, but it can look amazing at times - setting sun, waterfalls, god rays through the trees.
I saw that screenshot a long time ago and have never seen anything since to demonstrate that the game actually looks like that today.

zewone

McBacon said:
And fuck that too. Why bother playing a freeroaming game if you're just going to snap your fingers and jump from point to point on the map. You might as well just play a linear game.
After playing Far Cry 2, I have a much greater appreciation of linear games.

KrawlMan

zewone said:
After playing Far Cry 2, I have a much greater appreciation of linear games.

At least from review scores so far, your opinion of the game seems like a bit of an anomaly...here's hoping that future reviews keep it that way.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I have absolutely no problem with linear games.

They tend to be fun at the right times, providing light and shade.

I can see an open world having less intense battles and include a lot of aimless wandering.

That being said, I can not wait to try this out. Setting is awesome and hopefully it shows that an open world can be done right.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
It's PC version all the way for me and I can't wait.

But Crysis graphics... really?

Let's not go there before I start posting screenshots I took last night. :p

okrim

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:

Forgive me but you haven't idea what is it Crysis graphically...the only game graphically so close on console maybe it's main character model in heavy rain, I repeat maybe.

Feindflug

Mr.Potato Head said:

How's the frame-rate? Is there screen tearing?

Tom Penny

Mr.Potato Head said:

I need your eyesight when I play games or I'd like to meet your drug connect .

eshwaaz

syllogism said:

Doesn't the game also prompt you to save after completing objectives? I thought I saw this in a few videos.

As long as the game is balanced for limited saves, I'm fine with it. However, that's usually not the case.

dLMN8R

Tom Penny said:
I need your eyesight when I play games or I'd like to meet your drug connect .
lol yes. While my last post in this thread was about Far Cry 2 on PC, Far Cry 2 on 360 doesn't come anywhere REMOTELY near Crysis :lol

Far Cry 2 approaches just about where Crysis is at Medium detail - give and take a few things. Add in the god rays, but remove the "real" destructibility. Other things like that.

okrim

Banned
dark10x said:
I'll post this again (high quality PS3 footage)...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40852.html?type=
Thank you, I have already seen this video and meh same story: I have notice more tearing than 360 version (when the enemies shots) and a frame rate slightly worse; of course, I'm hard to please, but ubisoft it repeat again: doesn't show anything about ps3 version (or just few video) and why? Because on 360 is better...forgive me, it's no my intention to lame but I hate how ubisoft works on the ps3.

itxaka

Defeatist
KrawlMan said:
At least from review scores so far, your opinion of the game seems like a bit of an anomaly...here's hoping that future reviews keep it that way.

I think that the problem is that there is nothing to check in the jungle. All streams and videos I have seen just show the mission points and between them 5 guys to shoot.

The interesting thing of being in the savana and the possibility of exploring is to find something in there.

I mean, what is fun about walking 20 minutes between trees and shit if there is nothing in there? I can understand going in circles around what you are gonna attack in order to get a good look at it and start the attack from a side that will benefit you, but apart from that there is nothing in there. Maybe some meta quest around the jungle, some special missions, some sidequest hunting (including looking for clues of the whereabouts of the animals, that would be cool)

But of course, maybe all of that is in the game, I only seen videos so I could be mistaken. I will found out in 2 weeks :-/

Also, personal rant. Why the fuck using a sniper in all games is pointless?
Far cry 2 looks awesome for some sniper from 2 km far away, but after the first shoot everyone shoots at you! doesn't matter if you are 3 kms away or hiding, they automatically know where are you. no game has got it right :-(

Kibbles

zewone said:
How the hell am I supposed to do that? I'm going off what I heard from people who have the game and from the developers.

DeathGlobe said:
... No mention of the map editor?
Seiken said:
Oh really? UT3, CoD4 and especially Resistance wants to have a word with you.
I played CoD4 on my cousin's PS3. Ugh. Never again. :lol Sensitivity feels weird, thumbsticks right next to each other... wtf? I really don't like the convex style of the thumbsticks either, feels very awkward.

Wow, that was a gushing review, and addresses several concerns posed in this very thread:

Gamesradar said:
No mission in Far Cry 2 ever dictates how you have to play it. You just get a location and an objective and are allowed to do whatever you want when you get there. And with new weapons and equipment unlockable at your own pace via side-missions, there are no limitations apart from your creativity.

BOLDED FOR EMPHASIS said:
Once you realize that those early punishments are just the game’s way of making you think a little harder about how you approach things, the brilliance of its design starts to emerge. Those random deaths weren’t random; you just hadn’t learned the subtle warning signs. The slow, manual healing system isn’t unfair; it just makes you think about falling back and using cover. Barring the occasional AI glitch, enemies react fast to any possible threat, fanning out to find and flank you before you can get close. They’ll use the jungle as camouflage, they’ll fall back defensively if they can’t find you and if they spot you out in the open, some will even jump into vehicles and try to run you over before you can get a shot off. They’re sharp, aggressive, and when they’re nearby you have to be thinking and adapting constantly. It’s an incredibly exhilarating change from the tired old “Circle-strafe for the win” routine.

The gameworld ain't empty said:
And it’s not just during missions that you have to keep on your toes. The whole, vast, open-world map is littered with militia outposts, meaning that the journeys to and from your objectives are just as eventful as anything that happens when you get there. Whether you travel by car, boat, on foot, by hang-glider or a combination of all, anything can and will happen as you and your environment play an eternal, bullet-strewn game of cat and mouse. Everything feels organic and lived in, especially in the open countryside areas. There’s no hint of repeated design despite the vastness of the wilderness – a stunning achievement.

PC Gamer Review

"The basis of Far Cry 2's story telling: Characters and situations are swapped via a software author, its responding to choices made by you the player. Its something that's been on the cards for some time - mostly in research projects - but this is the first high-profile game to use it.

Its nothing less than a revelation. What makes this procedural storytelling cool isn't that you get to play the game lots of times, and see new things happen, or do things in new ways, Its not even that it gives you stories to share, situations to compare with your friends. Its that the game just works and responds to your successes, failures and fuckups.
If you don't like what a guy is asking you to do, then don't do it... If you really like one of your buddies, you stick with him. When the situations force choices on you... By God, its incredible"

94/100

http://www.farcry2world.com/farcry-2-news_186_Exclusive-PCGamer-Article.html

Real deal Holyfield boyeeeeee!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Agent Ironside said:
PC Gamer Review

"The basis of Far Cry 2's story telling: Characters and situations are swapped via a software author, its responding to choices made by you the player. Its something that's been on the cards for some time - mostly in research projects - but this is the first high-profile game to use it.

Its nothing less than a revelation. What makes this procedural storytelling cool isn't that you get to play the game lots of times, and see new things happen, or do things in new ways, Its not even that it gives you stories to share, situations to compare with your friends. Its that the game just works and responds to your successes, failures and fuckups.
If you don't like what a guy is asking you to do, then don't do it... If you really like one of your buddies, you stick with him. When the situations force choices on you... By God, its incredible"

94/100

http://www.farcry2world.com/farcry-2-news_186_Exclusive-PCGamer-Article.html

Real deal Holyfield boyeeeeee!

Excellent news. Can't wait for next week.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Shake Appeal said:
I think people like us are rare in gaming.

"Whaddya mean I have to walk through all this luscious African savannah??!"
Bwahaha :lol

sammy said:
I'll say :D

as soon as i read that there were long "boring" expanses to travel in F2, my interest was peaked to say the least.
I like for an adventure to feel like an adventure ... the only way to do that is to plop me down into a seamless landscape.
Oddly enough, its the one thing that made me preorder this game.

Is it strange that I was happy to hear LittleBigPlanet was delayed so I could play FarCry next week? :p

Zeliard

This is possibly my single most anticipated game of the gen. And it's so close. Who the fuck needs Little Big Planet next week? Not me!

That gamesradar review made me grin. Judging by that opening paragraph, this is going to be one of those very rare games that feels like it was designed for me from the moment I start playing.

f@luS

More than a member.
is there any benchmark available for pc? i wonder if it ask more than crysis to run @ max details.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
f@luS said:
is there any benchmark available for pc? i wonder if it ask more than crysis to run @ max details.

No, this game will not kill your GPU.

Go back to the last page of the thread for the benchmark results.

On my 4870X2, I expect to get around 60 fps at 1920 x 1200 with 8AA most of the time with dips in the mid 30 fps. :p

Top Bottom