• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

f@luS

More than a member.
ok i have a 4850 i hope to never get below 30fps @ max setting (i play only 1360*768...hdready inside)

Waikis

Has this been posted ?
"
Far Cry 2 hotfix driver;

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=38664

Our sources have just confirmed that Far Cry 2 will be a DirectX 10.1 game. We know that Nvidia has its eye on this game and that it likes it as much as it liked the original Crysis back in October 2007 but they couldn't prevent the developer to put the DirectX 10.1 support.
ATI will shortly release a hotfix driver that should boost the performance of this game of Radeon HD 4870 X2 significantly and we our sources are confident that this driver should be enough to beat Geforce GTX 280 in this game.

The game should launch on Tuesday in North America and of Friday in Europe while some of the press already got their hands on this savanna shooter. DirectX 10.1 support in such a significant title is a great victory for ATI and we wonder if this implementation will give ATI some additional performance over Nvidia’s DirectX 10 supporting GT200 family.
"

Edit:
fixed link

bee

Waikis said:
Has this been posted ?
"
Far Cry 2 hotfix driver;

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...estionID=38664

Our sources have just confirmed that Far Cry 2 will be a DirectX 10.1 game. We know that Nvidia has its eye on this game and that it likes it as much as it liked the original Crysis back in October 2007 but they couldn't prevent the developer to put the DirectX 10.1 support.
ATI will shortly release a hotfix driver that should boost the performance of this game of Radeon HD 4870 X2 significantly and we our sources are confident that this driver should be enough to beat Geforce GTX 280 in this game.

The game should launch on Tuesday in North America and of Friday in Europe while some of the press already got their hands on this savanna shooter. DirectX 10.1 support in such a significant title is a great victory for ATI and we wonder if this implementation will give ATI some additional performance over Nvidia’s DirectX 10 supporting GT200 family.
"

its quite funny though that they need dx 10.1 support for a dual gpu to beat a single gpu. i mean the 4870x2 costs a whole £100 more in the UK than the gtx 280, its hardly surprising it would "win"

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
bee said:
its quite funny though that they need dx 10.1 support for a dual gpu to beat a single gpu. i mean the 4870x2 costs a whole £100 more in the UK than the gtx 280, its hardly surprising it would "win"

One thing I've learned in building a system, is that drivers are EVERYTHING.

That said, I'm glad ATI is on the ball with this game.

Zzoram

bee said:

What's really funny is how scared nVidia is of ATI's monstrous DX10.1 performance boosts, that they try to bribe everyone into not using it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Waikis said:
Has this been posted ?
"
Far Cry 2 hotfix driver;

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=38664

"

Edit:
fixed link

HOLY SHIT! Will Nvidia force them to remove support?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
So I've got Malaria right, and when the symptoms kick in I can hardly see, definitly can't fight, its a bad scene. So I pop a pill, these mothers surpress the symptoms in no time at all, but I look in the pot and its now empty.

Holy shit.

But I know of a place that can trade me some pills for a bunch of passports, get these dudes out of this warzone. Problem; it's half way across fucking Africa. It's seriously on the other side of the map.

Time is of the escense and the longer I take, the more likely the Malaria will strike and I'll be killed, so I kip on a cot for like an hour. Normally I'd sleep till sunrise, because you really don't want to be driving about at night; you can't see shit and its scary as fuck. But! Too bad, I'll set off at 9pm.

Big mistake - the trip there is an absolute nightmare. Every checkpoint is armed to the teeth, absolute frantic gun fights and my shitty, rusty weapons jam up on every clip. I start to drive straight past the checkpoints - no deal. A few seconds later I hear a rumbling of engine behind me, I dart my head around and its a machine-gun mounted jeep, hot on my heels. Fuck.

Seriously, every AK-47 holding African seems to be standing between me and my medicine. Every fight knocks me to my ass, at one point I was cowering behind a smoking vehicle, plunged a pair of pliers into my arm and wrenched out a bullet. I was so close to the medicene, and so close to being killed. My heart was pounding and my brow was sweating.

The last checkpoint before the medicene and every vehicle in this firefight explodes; the grenades weren't a good idea after all. I start to walk through the jungle, surely the Malaria would kick in soon. I find a jeep in a little shed; Hallijueah. I ram it into a tree and it gets wedged between branches: Holy Fuck. So now I'm walking, in the pitch black, through the densest forest.

Finally get to the medicine dude, another fucking fight later, I get the meds and save. I had to stop playing for a while because I was so damn tense.

Holy shit this is an incredible game. Oh, and imagine that same scenario if I quick saved all the way, or just quick travelled to the other side of the map.

Feindflug

McBacon said:
So I've got Malaria right, and when the symptoms kick in I can hardly see, definitly can't fight, its a bad scene. So I pop a pill, these mothers surpress the symptoms in no time at all, but I look in the pot and its now empty.

Holy shit.

But I know of a place that can trade me some pills for a bunch of passports, get these dudes out of this warzone. Problem; it's half way across fucking Africa. It's seriously on the other side of the map.

Time is of the escense and the longer I take, the more likely the Malaria will strike and I'll be killed, so I kip on a cot for like an hour. Normally I'd sleep till sunrise, because you really don't want to be driving about at night; you can't see shit and its scary as fuck. But! Too bad, I'll set off at 9pm.

Big mistake - the trip there is an absolute nightmare. Every checkpoint is armed to the teeth, absolute frantic gun fights and my shitty, rusty weapons jam up on every clip. I start to drive straight past the checkpoints - no deal. A few seconds later I hear a rumbling of engine behind me, I dart my head around and its a machine-gun mounted jeep, hot on my heels. Fuck.

Seriously, every AK-47 holding African seems to be standing between me and my medicine. Every fight knocks me to my ass, at one point I was cowering behind a smoking vehicle, plunged a pair of pliers into my arm and wrenched out a bullet. I was so close to the medicene, and so close to being killed. My heart was pounding and my brow was sweating.

The last checkpoint before the medicene and every vehicle in this firefight explodes; the grenades weren't a good idea after all. I start to walk through the jungle, surely the Malaria would kick in soon. I find a jeep in a little shed; Hallijueah. I ram it into a tree and it gets wedged between branches: Holy Fuck. So now I'm walking, in the pitch black, through the densest forest.

Finally get to the medicine dude, another fucking fight later, I get the meds and save. I had to stop playing for a while because I was so damn tense.

Holy shit this is an incredible game. Oh, and imagine that same scenario if I quick saved all the way, or just quick travelled to the other side of the map.

wow! that sounds really awesome...can you comment on the frame-rate? is it steady? what about screen tearing?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Feindflug said:
wow! that sounds really awesome...can you comment on the frame-rate? is it steady? what about screen tearing?

Framerate has been stable so far, and I havn't noticed any screen tearing. I don't really pay attention to that so much though, so if anyone else has it I'm sure they can help you better.

Feindflug

McBacon said:
Framerate has been stable so far, and I havn't noticed any screen tearing. I don't really pay attention to that so much though, so if anyone else has it I'm sure they can help you better.

Sounds good, thanks man.

After reading through some of the impressions in this thread I caved and just pre-ordered :D And that was going solely on the single player aspect. The awesome looking Map editor is just gravy on an otherwise delicious roast dinner. Bring on next week!!

Tr4nce

Wow, that GamesRadar review is good, it looks at things from a different perspective. GamesRadar gives Far Cry 2 a 9. The review has some beautiful quotes in it, like 'You'll live in this game'. Oh man, can't wait for Thursday/Friday. W00t!!!!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
McBacon said:

Holy shit.

More stories, please.

You are teh winnar of this thred.

Munin

I read on another forum that the day/night cycle doesn't advance on its own...just when you save in a place you can decide the time of day again. Seems pretty stupid. Is it true?

KrawlMan

ElyrionX said:
Any PS3/360 comparisons?

If you are looking for a visual comparison, you can check out the video towards the bottom of the OP.

Gameplay wise they are the pretty much the same. What it really comes down to is which controller you prefer.

kaskade

I'm actually kind of glad the push LBP back a week, now I don't have to make the tough decision between them. Far Cry 2 it is.

ElyrionX

KrawlMan said:
If you are looking for a visual comparison, you can check out the video towards the bottom of the OP.

Gameplay wise they are the pretty much the same. What it really comes down to is which controller you prefer.

Hmm, I've heard the visuals are the same right?

What about the audio?

Treo360

McBacon said:

I tried to look for tearing by spinning around and I can't seem to notice it, unlike that other jungle based game that gets lot O' love here on Gaf by a devout crew. The Frame rate has been solid without any noticeable hiccups. The only complaint I have thus far and it's a really small nit picky one and that is the dithered shadows on some objects (360).

I love the openness in this game. I spent nearly and hour big game hunting some Zebras and Gazelles, before moving on to the next mission.

Nighttime is crazy, I can't see shit and is very tense.

CoilShot

Is it worth buying this on PS3? My PC is very bad for pc gaming considering I only have a 7600 GS AGP Video Card. Or can I run it good with a 7600 GS? :lol

dork

Banned
The AI can be a little stupid sometimes. I was running around trying to get to a mission and I walked by some guys at a guard post. They didn't shoot me so I didn't shoot them. I went up and stood right by the guy, then he opened fire :(.

I loved the poo out of farcry 1. I didn't really read to much into this one, but after playing it i highly recommend it

Alright, all the positive aura around this game has convinced me. Steam pre-purchase completed!
Edit: Any idea how much space it'll take up?

Cj70

Treo360 said:
I tried to look for tearing by spinning around and I can't seem to notice it, unlike that other jungle based game that gets lot O' love here on Gaf by a devout crew. The Frame rate has been solid without any noticeable hiccups. The only complaint I have thus far and it's a really small nit picky one and that is the dithered shadows on some objects (360).

I love the openness in this game. I spent nearly and hour big game hunting some Zebras and Gazelles, before moving on to the next mission.

Is there a torch or do you just wander about in complete darkness? Could always light loads of fires :D

Raziel

that latest trailer was trying a little too hard to force on the cool :lol 'THE FREELANCER,' 'THE SMUGGLER.' reminds me of all those bad movie trailers that introduce their characters as 'THE HITMAN,' 'THE LOAN SHARK,' 'THE DEALER.' thats becoming a really tired shtick. oh well, game still looks good though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
McBacon said:
Malaria meds journey

Woweee!! Man, this game sounds cool as hell, I can't wait until it unlocks on Steam. How does one contract malaria exactly? Is it a random occurrence, or a plot point?

Diseased Yak said:
Woweee!! Man, this game sounds cool as hell, I can't wait until it unlocks on Steam. How does one contract malaria exactly? Is it a random occurrence, or a plot point?

Pretty sure it happens in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Klocker

Treo360 said:

thanks for the impressions....

curious.... gamma/brightness adjustments in (360) menu?

eshwaaz

McBacon said:
(McBacon's crazy impressions)

Great impressions; that does sound amazing. Just to play devil's advocate here, though - what if that scenario had played out exactly the same way, but you were killed right at the last checkpoint. Would your positive feelings still stand?

gillty

Banned
Klocker said:
thanks for the impressions....

curious.... gamma/brightness adjustments in (360) menu?
as soon as you start up the game for the first time before you get into the menu it has you adjust brightness to one of those black-white scales.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
eshwaaz said:
Great impressions; that does sound amazing. Just to play devil's advocate here, though - what if that scenario had played out exactly the same way, but you were killed right at the last checkpoint. Would your positive feelings still stand?

Well, alternativly I could have gone for a kip in a safehouse along the way, but I really didn't want to waste any time. But sure, I would have been frustrated.

I mean the game's structure just sets itself up for these awesome encounters. I also like finding the diamonds, they're always near some bodies or a broken down car. It's like the start of No Country for Old Men.

I'd like to know what weapon layouts other people are using. I've a sniper rifle for my main, an uzi for the side and flamethrower as my special weapon. I scout out places, snipe what I can, uzi the guys who charge at me and if they get up close enough they get flamed. You have 3 weapon types you can carry (along with a machete which is good if you can sneak up on someone). One question I do have is about the reliability upgrades for the weapons. I thought once you buy them you can uptain them allready reliable. The guns I pick up near the weapons shed aren't rusty or anything so why buy a reliability upgrade? Same thing for accuracy upgrades for stuff like sniper rifles, the game has no waver when trying to snipe so what use is it? I'm just saving up for different types of guns to unlock (looking for a silenced weapon next).

But yeah, 6 hours in and still loving it. Some small things:
I woke up on a foggy morning and looked outside this cabin on a mountainous area and forgot about the hanglider. Needless to say I had some relaxing fun with that.

Skiff encounters on the rivers are awesome. There are riverside encampments just like there are in the jungles and savannas.

Someone had mentioned before the diamond searching thing which I'm addicted to. Your radar while looking at the map or in a car will flash and you look around till the light is solid, head in that direction and find a case of diamonds (there are over 200) to use for weapon upgrades.

Driving a buggy alongside an old railroad track and looking over and seeing zebras running alongside of me.:D

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hey, with that Hotfix driver, do I install it over the 8.10's I have now, or do I just uninstall my current driver?

Zeliard

It's going to be hard for me to resist quick saving all the time after so many years of doing so, but I'm gonna try for Far Cry 2 for a more hardcore experience. Thank god for Steam, too. This game for $45 is a steal.

JBuccCP

So, is this Jackal feller really "out there" in world, doing his thing? Like can you just be walking along and happen upon him and "win" the game? Or do you only get the chance to kill him after doing the missions? I ask because I remember reading about how they had to tone down the procedural stuff because a fire got really big and killed him.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dead Rising gave me the most thrills I can remember in a video game, mainly due to the save-in-bathroom feature. I expect FarCry will work the same.

Honestly, how can you expect to have your heart racing and your brow sweating if you have nothing to lose?

JBuccCP said:
So, is this Jackal feller really "out there" in world, doing his thing? Like can you just be walking along and happen upon him and "win" the game? Or do you only get the chance to kill him after doing the missions? I ask because I remember reading about how they had to tone down the procedural stuff because a fire got really big and killed him.

Hah, Id love to know this too.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
JBuccCP said:

As far as I can tell, no. You'll have to do lots of missions to get to him.

I've played this game for over 6 hours, and a lowly 12% complete. I just like living in the world. Waking up to the sunrise, getting in my crappy jeep and going off for adventure.

I also like hunting the wildlife. I wish Ubi would have added a second mode where there are no enemies and you just hunt or take photos of Zebras and Goats. Maybe there'll be a PC mod.

chubigans said:
Dead Rising gave me the most thrills I can remember in a video game, mainly due to the save-in-bathroom feature. I expect FarCry will work the same.

Honestly, how can you expect to have your heart racing and your brow sweating if you have nothing to lose?

Hah, Id love to know this too.

What feature in FC2 is this post referring to?

therapist

Wow , i didnt really like the first far cry all that much, but this looks SICK.

The fact that the console versions also have the map editor is amazinggg , hopefully m$ wont try charging for maps lolz.

See you guys online when it comes out!

artist

Banned
bee said:
Its the same sob story used by ATI fanboys when two G71s (7900s) were finding it difficult to beat a single X1950XTX in some games .. now the tables are flipped .. just wont work. :p

Top Bottom