• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

To those that have played Far Cry 2, GamesRadar posted this in their review:

When you first start playing Far Cry 2, you’ll be forgiven for thinking that it absolutely bloody hates you. Gunfire flies from nowhere, peppering you to pieces before you’ve even seen your attacker. Your fragile health bar drops to almost nothing within seconds. There are seemingly-random, one-hit deaths aplenty, and even when you do get a warning, the slow and cumbersome health recovery system means that you often won’t get the time to heal yourself before the final bullet sends you staggering to the ground in a pathetic heap.
Is there truth to that?

Hootie

Wow, I just watched 1 video of this game and I am SOLD.

I didn't even know what the hell this game was, but the gameplay/physics/etc look amazing. I've never played the first, either. It's just by sheer coincidence that I watched a vid on YouTube and now there's $60 more down the drain for me. :lol

Just a random question, but what happens when you die?

Tomcat

The first time you are getting rescued by your buddy. The second load from last save :p
I am getting frustrated with the crossroad/roadblocks AI spawing. Its like i am playing cod4 all over again

Tomcat said:
The first time you are getting rescued by your buddy. The second load from last save :p
I am getting frustrated with the crossroad/roadblocks AI spawing. Its like i am playing cod4 all over again
Can you just go around them?

Somnia

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Can you just go around them?

Yes you could

edit: Regarding the buddy save. It doesn't just happen once...its like once every 24 hours in game or something like that. I don't remember exactly, but it's pretty nice when your buddy saves you and it has this awesome black and white scene with them pulling you out of danger with your eye sight coming in and out and you see them getting shots off while pulling you to safety. You get put in a safer area near where you were.

Zeliard

Somnia said:
Yes you could

edit: Regarding the buddy save. It doesn't just happen once...its like once every 24 hours in game or something like that. I don't remember exactly, but it's pretty nice when your buddy saves you and it has this awesome black and white scene with them pulling you out of danger with your eye sight coming in and out and you see them getting shots off while pulling you to safety. You get put in a safer area near where you were.

How often are you actually fighting alongside a buddy, though?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Those physics videos are AMAZING. How do the consoles pull this off without massive slowdown? Wow.

Reminds me a lot of those physics experiments people were doing with CryEngine 2 and ArmA.

Zzoram

chespace said:
Those physics videos are AMAZING. How do the consoles pull this off without massive slowdown? Wow.

Reminds me a lot of those physics experiments people were doing with CryEngine 2 and ArmA.

Console CPUs are fine, the 360 has a triple core with hyperthreading (pseudo 6 cores), and the PS3 has 7 cores. it's the GPUs that are weak.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys have me hyped up a bit now :lol

The only problem is, even hyped up, there are so many games coming out this week...

Somnia

Y2Kev said:

The only problem is, even hyped up, there are so many games coming out this week...

Tell me about it =( That's one thing I'm worried about for this game. I don't see it being a huge success which is sad because it deserves it big time.

smik

Far Cry 2 is Awesome

download my map now! name: COD4 Shipment. i put alota of time and effort into it and put a little farcry twist to the background but the playing area is a replica of the original, all spawn points are also the same and can be played across all game modes and its perfect for deathmatch and teamdeathmatch. pleadse give it a go and rate it for me, ill will be remaking alot of classic maps from others shooters so stayed tuned

All games should come with Map Editors as the replayability goes through the roof, i was up long at night making maps and having a blast with it.

Map Editors FTW

burgerdog

Why did I come into this thread? I was already super hyped for this game and watching those videos made it worse. And here I was thinking that maybe I'd be okay skipping FC2 since I already have fable 2 and LBP, no chance in hell!

Dizzan said:
About to play far cry one before i jump into 2.

Any good?

It still holds up today...particularly the visuals.

Are you comfortable with the Sci-Fi twist halfway through? ...If so, you should be fine

Y2Kev said:

The only real reason to pick it up right now is that Gamestop has a preorder deal that gives you a map and some extra missions to do. That is what got me to pre-order instead of waiting on it for a few weeks. That and watching some videos last weak that made me remember that my favorite kinds of shooters are these open ones. Only real shame is that the AI for these types of fps games are usually dumb.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Heads-up to ATI owners. That hotfix driver can introduce higher temps and flashing textures in various games. Might want to hold off. Just tried them out on a fresh Vista install and I'm not too thrilled.

Dizzan

MINI Member
AgentOtaku said:
It still holds up today...particularly the visuals.

Are you comfortable with the Sci-Fi twist halfway through? ...If so, you should be fine

Thanks.

I wasn't aware of the twist. The uncharted twist, while annoying, was tolerable so I guess this will be ok.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
Heads-up to ATI owners. That hotfix driver can introduce higher temps and flashing textures in various games. Might want to hold off. Just tried them out on a fresh Vista install and I'm not too thrilled.

So will the official 8.11 next month be the driver that rocks Farcry 2?

Zeliard

Does Steam still let you pre-load games (download/install them before they release, so you can play them the second they unlock)? Or do they only do that with Valve releases? Because it wasn't that way with Crysis Warhead, but I clearly remember pre-loading games through Steam in the past. It was a great feature.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Does Steam still let you pre-load games (download/install them before they release, so you can play them the second they unlock)? Or do they only do that with Valve releases? Because it wasn't that way with Crysis Warhead, but I clearly remember pre-loading games through Steam in the past. It was a great feature.

Generally only Valve games are guaranteed to have that feature. For other companies, it's up to them, but most of them opt not to pre-load.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tomcat said:

UGH...

Can you at least like, blow up the shacks and roadblocks so they can't keep coming?

Dizzan said:
Thanks.

I wasn't aware of the twist. The uncharted twist, while annoying, was tolerable so I guess this will be ok.

The game becomes next to impossible at the very end. Get ready to hate it at that point. The games is terrific besides that.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
The game becomes next to impossible at the very end. Get ready to hate it at that point. The games is terrific besides that.

Yep, I never even got past "The Crater" map ....I said "fuck this shit!" and never finished the game. I was just sooooo pissed off that so much great game design could be thrown out the fucking window with one map and at the very end none the less

Thankfully, I forgave Crytek with Crysis and Warhead

Does anyone know if the PS3 version supports mouse + keyboard. I'll be getting this for PS3 since I don't have a PC that will run it. I just don't like the feel of the DS3 for shooters. If not, I'll live with it and I'll play with the controller anyway.

Zeliard

The only thing that would've made that cooler is if chunks of the building started crumbling.

And check it out @ 48 seconds. One of the guys that flips off the tower on the right lands on top the vehicle. :lol

Zeliard said:
The only thing that would've made that cooler is if chunks of the building started crumbling.

Well hey, I would too, but id also like a playable framerate over crumbling chunks. Looks like ill get it :D

GalacticAE said:
Does anyone know if the PS3 version supports mouse + keyboard. I'll be getting this for PS3 since I don't have a PC that will run it. I just don't like the feel of the DS3 for shooters. If not, I'll live with it and I'll play with the controller anyway.

Nope ....why do people keep asking if there's Keyboard/Mouse support for PS3 shooters? ....besides UTIII, NO GAME has had it and unless the devs go out of their way to declare it, it's safe to assume no game will in the forseeable future

Nizz

GalacticAE said:
Maybe you can try this...

frag-fx.jpg

I've never used it, but I've read reviews were people used to playing on a PC seemed to adapt to this controller well...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Chiggs said:

ATI ... :(

Do you think my 4870x2 will be okay with FC2 even without this hotfix?

Top Bottom