• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Chiggs said:
Heads-up to ATI owners. That hotfix driver can introduce higher temps and flashing textures in various games. Might want to hold off. Just tried them out on a fresh Vista install and I'm not too thrilled.

yuck, thanks. So, 8.10 everyone for now? ( I have a 4870x2)

Zzoram

Anasui Kishibe said:
yuck, thanks. So, 8.10 everyone for now? ( I have a 4870x2)

8.10 is the best driver for the 4800s at the moment. We'll see if 8.11 is any better my mid November.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Are those getting the console versions getting this on 360 or PS3? I am torn on which version to order.

EGM92

I'm debating picking this up for PC, over the consoles just cause I hate to use gamepads for FPSes. Anyone attempt playing this on a XPS M1530? If so specs? How well does it run? Thanks

Yixian

Banned
EGM92 said:
I'm debating picking this up for PC, over the consoles just cause I hate to use gamepads for FPSes. Anyone attempt playing this on a XPS M1530? If so specs? How well does it run? Thanks

Even if it means a downgrade in graphics, play it on PC, you know it makes sense - shooters and tbh pretty much every game is more immersive on the PC and a mouse always > controller for FPSs.

EGM92

Yixian said:
Even if it means a downgrade in graphics, play it on PC, you know it makes sense - shooters and tbh pretty much every game is more immersive on the PC and a mouse always > controller for FPSs.

I'm a graphics whore, so having it look nice is important to me, I've played a lot of big releases on my laptop and everything ran at great speeds, everything except Crysis (17-24FPS on Med/Low). I want it to look nice and run nice at the same time. Compared to the Crytek engine is the engine in FarCry2 better optimized for todays current hardware?

I do have a gaming rig but when I'm home I don't have much time to be in my office playing games. I game mainly when I have time... at work :p

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I hope these guys put out a Making of Video. They said they went to Africa for loads of research and I'd like to see the photos compared to the game.

kitch9

Banned
chespace said:
ATI ... :(

Do you think my 4870x2 will be okay with FC2 even without this hotfix?

I've no issues with the hotfix drivers Che..... The high temps come from the GPU idle bug which cen be fixed by creating a profile a manually editing it to change the idle clock speeds. (Mine is 300mhz gpu, 300mhz mem.) CCC will load your profile after boot and automatically set the new clocks. All ATI drivers have this bug on the 4870x2

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Would a casual FPS fan enjoy this? I've started to warm up to the genre over the past year and I wondered if it would be worth my time, or if its target to more hardcore players. Also, is the single player experience worth playing?

Yixian

Banned
EGM92 said:
I'm a graphics whore, so having it look nice is important to me, I've played a lot of big releases on my laptop and everything ran at great speeds, everything except Crysis (17-24FPS on Med/Low). I want it to look nice and run nice at the same time. Compared to the Crytek engine is the engine in FarCry2 better optimized for todays current hardware?

I do have a gaming rig but when I'm home I don't have much time to be in my office playing games. I game mainly when I have time... at work :p

Well I know that Far Cry 2 is much less graphically intensive than Crysis, and it'll tax other things like ram and CPU more than the GPU thanks to draw distance and open world streaming etc.

I mean, in all honesty, although this games looks GREAT and on a very high end desktop can look almost Crysis quality, by and large it's not as pretty as Crysis and so it's going to run better on your rig than that monster.

EGM92

Yixian said:
Well I know that Far Cry 2 is much less graphically intensive than Crysis, and it'll tax other things like ram and CPU more than the GPU thanks to draw distance and open world streaming etc.

I mean, in all honesty, although this games looks GREAT and on a very high end desktop can look almost Crysis quality, by and large it's not as pretty as Crysis and so it's going to run better on your rig than that monster.

I'm running a T9300 2.5ghz OC'ed to 2.9ghz, 6GB DDR2 800Mhz, and a 8600M GT running at 600/900mhz.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
EGM92 said:
I'm running a T9300 2.5ghz OC'ed to 2.9ghz, 6GB DDR2 800Mhz, and a 8600M GT running at 600/900mhz.

I wish there were PC specific threads for multiplatform games. You've just hammered at your keyboard and lots of numbers have appeared.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
otake said:
in crysis that building would have collapsed. still, looked interesting. the video has rekindled my interest in the game. I will be reading reviews.
No, it would not have. Crysis doesn't allow destruction on that scale. You were limited to destroying shacks and shanties in Crysis. Anything built from cement or bricks could not be touched. Consider the town in the second mission. None of the major buildings (which are generally smaller than what was shown in that FC2 video) could be destroyed. Crytek designed smaller structures out of individual materials (wood boards, for instance) that were pieced together in such a way that they could easily be destroyed. No material could actually be destroyed, however, just broken apart.

Sooooooooo.... does the 360 version have the horrible dead zone ala Far Cry Instincts Predator? Anyone who's played it knows what I'm talking about.

dark10x

thewesker said:
Sooooooooo.... does the 360 version have the horrible dead zone ala Far Cry Instincts Predator? Anyone who's played it knows what I'm talking about.
Which team within Ubisoft handled Insticts? Was it even the same group?

Raide

McBacon said:
I wish there were PC specific threads for multiplatform games. You've just hammered at your keyboard and lots of numbers have appeared.

Seems like an odd amount of RAM to be supported around a 8600M GT. Not bad for a mobile graphics card but if you want to play FC2 at a decent rate you will need a decent PC.

Zeliard

truly101 said:
Would a casual FPS fan enjoy this? I've started to warm up to the genre over the past year and I wondered if it would be worth my time, or if its target to more hardcore players. Also, is the single player experience worth playing?

From everything I've read/heard/seen about Far Cry 2, it seems very much tailor-made for the more hardcore FPS players, from the unforgiving health system to the entirely open-ended design. Several people have also said that the start of the game is pretty grueling, in trying to get your bearings.

Having said that, I'd still strongly recommend it as it seems to be very different from the vast majority of shooters out there, including Crysis since FC2 seems a lot more open in its freedom of movement and gathering of objectives.

dark10x

Raide said:
Seems like an odd amount of RAM to be supported around a 8600M GT. Not bad for a mobile graphics card but if you want to play FC2 at a decent rate you will need a decent PC.
It seems that, due to the low cost of ram, PC manufacturers are just filling their boxes with gobs of ram. You don't need 6gb of ram. My brother in law just bought a PC with 6gb of ram and an AMD processor that also included some $40 ATI graphics card that can barely run World of Warcraft. A lot of games run worse on that machine than on a 4 year old P4 + Radeon 9700 Pro combo. It's just incredible. A $120 8800GT would allow that machine to run just about anything out there, yet the companies are all about including absolutely awful GPUs.

This is the kind of thing that is really bad for PC gaming as most of the PCs you'll find on shelves that an average consumer might purchase simply can't run any recent games at a decent framerate. If your brand new late-2008 PC can hardly run Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, you know you're in trouble. I've never seen such a massive divide before.

JdFoX187

Banned
Yeah, this is a different team than the one that put Instincts out, I beleive. Ubi Montreal is huge. They have the team working on PoP/AC, the team working on Splinter Cell and the team working on Far Cry 2, at least.

Zzoram

dark10x said:
This is the kind of thing that is really bad for PC gaming as most of the PCs you'll find on shelves that an average consumer might purchase simply can't run any recent games at a decent framerate. If your brand new late-2008 PC can hardly run Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, you know you're in trouble. I've never seen such a massive divide before.

Ya, and we can all blame Intel for devastating PC gaming. Integrated graphics can be single handedly blamed for eliminating the semi-casual hardcore gamer. There are millions of people out there who want to play games, but they don't know what a video card is, and they don't understand why their $1200 PC can't play Doom 3. Nowadays, you're either an enthusiast buying gaming PCs or building your own PC, or you're a casual that can only play flash games and The Sims 2 and Spore.

It makes absolutely no sense that people are buying Q9450/E8500 PCs with 4GB of RAM and Intel Integrated! If the OEM just went down 1 level with the CPU, the difference in money would buy a competent video card.

how long are most of the missions? I plan on playing the console version, where you can only save at safehouses and I have 2 concerns:

1. Dying from enemies I cannot see, and having wasted time I have to repeat from the start (esp if a hard mission)

2. Not being able to save at my convenience, I often get a chance to play like 1/2 or 1 hour at a time and it sounds like I have to book a large chunk of time.

The fact that the PC can save anywhere suggests to me its going to be much harder on console. Also, if i feel I can die any second I tend to not enjoy travelling around and exploring everything.

I think Oblivion had a good system, where you can save anywhere but not around enemies.

I hate games with time limits too, and the
malaria thing sounds like a annoying time limit

If this game wasnt launching around others I wouldn't mind but fallout 3 is a game I dont mind spending huge amounts of time on, similarly Fable II. I tend to only put up with extremely long games with good RPG's because at least I feel like I am progressing.

dark10x

I'm not a fan of quicksaves by any means, but I think it makes some sense in a game like this. You can't really do proper checkpoints in a wide open mission due to the nature of the gameplay.

Sushen

Yixian said:
Tell that to Activision on COD4. Soon, it'll be lucky if you get a pc port with kind of sales figure they get compared to console counterparts.

Zeliard

The PC version does have quicksave, but I think I might try not to use it, at least my first time through. Far Cry 2 seems like the type of game where quicksaving will actually take away from the experience, since the game is all about survival in a large, harsh land with mostly your own wits and tools. Quick saving every few minutes would rob it of some of that, IMO.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sushen said:
Tell that to Activision on COD4. Soon, it'll be lucky if you get a pc port with kind of sales figure they get compared to console counterparts.

No. There isn't really a reason for developers to avoid making a pc port, considering they're not paying licensing fees, and the effort is minimal to put out a decent port. Besides, despite the large gap between sales for CoD4, the pc version still has done pretty well.

botkiller

I did a search of the thread but couldn't find anything on this, even though it's probably been discussed. Will the Xbox 360 version have map sharing, and has anyone seen how it will work?

Raide

botkiller said:
I did a search of the thread but couldn't find anything on this, even though it's probably been discussed. Will the Xbox 360 version have map sharing, and has anyone seen how it will work?

Yes it will but between 360 consoles. Same for PS3 to PS3 owners and PC to PC owners.

Maps will be uploaded to Ubi servers where people can rate and download when they want. If you don't want to upload, people can just download your map direct from you once they connect to your game. The Ubi Server ones will be the main ones to get rated and appear in the Map List of best community stuff.

JdFoX187

Banned
Raide said:
Yes it will but between 360 consoles. Same for PS3 to PS3 owners and PC to PC owners.

Maps will be uploaded to Ubi servers where people can rate and download when they want. If you don't want to upload, people can just download your map direct from you once they connect to your game. The Ubi Server ones will be the main ones to get rated and appear in the Map List of best community stuff.
Indeed. Think of it as similar to Halo 3's Forge designs.

botkiller

Raide said:

Excellent. Thanks.

Raide

Wollan said:
Anything different from the mapmaker seen in FarCry Instincts?

Well, the FCI one was pretty good, so just make advancements and additions to that and you know what to expect. You have much more control over terrain and also objects too. Being able to put down a watchtower and then stick your own ladder on it is great. :lol

Plus the Map Maker in FC2 gives you much more control over the maps you make, so you're not restricted to just making various island shapes. You can make some truly bizarre maps now for FC2. Add to that the Far Cry 2 stuff like weather, day and night etc and you can use them all in your MP maps.

Its great to see Halo and CounterStrike maps appearing already. :D

Top Bottom