• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
kitch9 said:
I've no issues with the hotfix drivers Che..... The high temps come from the GPU idle bug which cen be fixed by creating a profile a manually editing it to change the idle clock speeds. (Mine is 300mhz gpu, 300mhz mem.) CCC will load your profile after boot and automatically set the new clocks. All ATI drivers have this bug on the 4870x2

How do I manually edit the XMLs?

I have this annoying bug in CCC where the fan speed will keep readjusting themselves back to 27% (i.e., Auto) when I want them spinning at 35% or higher all the time.

JdFoX187 said:
Indeed. Think of it as similar to Halo 3's Forge designs.
No, no. Don't. You can play your maps in player matches with strangers in FC2. Forge "maps" just sat on your hard drive unused because no one wants to go to a website, download your Forge edit, then find enough people to privately invite and play in it.

You can do it all in the game in FC2 and with strangers.

I think quick saving has gotten kind of out of control in games. One method that I like is giving a quick save or two between safehouses so that if you absolutely have to use it you can use it, but its not something you can just spam like crazy.

It just takes so much tension away from the game and FPS games have already gotten fairly simple over the years in terms of difficulty without artificially making it harder by using overly cheapened hard modes.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
If you don't want to Quick Save then, err, don't? I mean no one is forcing you to hit F5 or whatever every few minutes, personally I couldn't do without them, especially when I could be right in the middle of something and end up going out or something.

Zeliard

Quick saving is best in RPGs with overly harsh death penalties (like the ones that consist of a lot of grinding, but then take away EXP if you die - fuck that), or shooters with fun set pieces like Half-Life 2 and F.E.A.R. I abuse quick save when I play F.E.A.R., not because I die a lot, but because there are a lot of sections I enjoy replaying over and over since the combat is so delicious.

I'll try and cut down on it big time for Far Cry 2, if not eliminate it entirely, because I know that'll be more rewarding in that specific game. If it's bound to something, I'm unbinding it.

REV 09

any mp impressions?

Blim seemed to have some issues with the lack of icons showing where the flag carrier was, etc. Also, he mentioned that you can't pick guns up off of dead enemies or off of the map in mp and that weapon loadout is strictly class based. How does this play out? seems a little restrictive for my tastes...but i don't think it would be a deal breaker.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ikuu said:
If you don't want to Quick Save then, err, don't? I mean no one is forcing you to hit F5 or whatever every few minutes, personally I couldn't do without them, especially when I could be right in the middle of something and end up going out or something.
It's not as simple as that, I'm afraid. The reason I'm against Quick Saves is simply because I feel it has an impact on development. When checkpoints are required, the designers generally craft their scenarios with this in mind and you end up with tighter pacing. I actually don't mind quicksaves being dropped on top of such a system, to be honest.

The problem is, a lot of games designed without any sort of checkpoint system end up with unfocused level design. You often end up with long, drawn out encounters or some other akward pacing issue. Checkpoints keep designers in check and push them to look more closely at pacing which, in general, improves the final product.

Now, the issue with something like Far Cry 2 is simply that, as an open ended up experience, checkpoints would be very difficult to implement properly due to the variety of methods the player can use to complete a mission. Still, FC2 is more of a non-linear mission based shooter that shares many of the same issues you'd find in your average sandbox game.

JdFoX187

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
No, no. Don't. You can play your maps in player matches with strangers in FC2. Forge "maps" just sat on your hard drive unused because no one wants to go to a website, download your Forge edit, then find enough people to privately invite and play in it.

You can do it all in the game in FC2 and with strangers.
I'm talking about the distribution of the maps. I agree, Ubisoft is way ahead of Bungle when it comes to implementing the maps in public play. But the download system is similar.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Holy Crap! Look at the Hotfix driver results for ATI cards.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...delivers_up_to_98_Prozent_better_performance/

Edit: Uh oh....

With a HD 4870 the driver is causing problems in Far Cry 2 running on Windows Vista x64 - aberrations and lags prevent the record of useful results. We experienced the same problems with another model of the graphics card. The Radeon HD 4870 X2 on the other hand was running smooth.

So if you've got a single GPU, you might want to avoid this driver.

Raide

JdFoX187 said:
I'm talking about the distribution of the maps. I agree, Ubisoft is way ahead of Bungle when it comes to implementing the maps in public play. But the download system is similar.

Well, for FC2 you will actually upload the entire map. In Halo 3 I thought you only really upload the weapon/item placements etc, since you cannot actually alter the actual map.

Ubi will have servers ready so people can upload their best maps so the community can rate them or you can keep them on your own HDD and players will download when they connect to your game.

JdFoX187

Banned
Raide said:
Well, for FC2 you will actually upload the entire map. In Halo 3 I thought you only really upload the weapon/item placements etc, since you cannot actually alter the actual map.

Ubi will have servers ready so people can upload their best maps so the community can rate them or you can keep them on your own HDD and players will download when they connect to your game.
Forge in Halo 3 was a way to move objects around on the map. But you could save your map, upload it to your fileshare and publish it on Bungle's Web site. There, people could rate it and download it onto their 360s when they signed on.

Raide said:
Forge is simultaneously not as limited as the average user thinks it is, and far more limited than it could have been. But you can do more a lot more than alter weapon placements, especially on the Foundry map.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I just pre-ordered at Gamestop because they are hyping some exclusive gameplay missions that only exist in their version??

What the shit is that about?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, the benchmarks are not looking good on the PC. The average and minimum framerates are quite a bit lower than I would have expected when you consider the visuals being presented. It wouldn't be a problem if you could lock the game at 30 fps maximum (which would allow an even, constant framerate) but I doubt that is an option.

Honestly, the visuals just don't look all that impressive. With the visuals being presented, I would expect a rock solid 60 fps from the game. Then again, I'd be happy with 1360x768 with little to no AA. Perhaps my GTX260 can actually pull off a reasonably stable 60 fps with those settings. I suppose we'll see.

kitch9

Banned
chespace said:
How do I manually edit the XMLs?

I have this annoying bug in CCC where the fan speed will keep readjusting themselves back to 27% (i.e., Auto) when I want them spinning at 35% or higher all the time.

Save a profile in CCC with overdrive enabled. When saving the profile you need to select save all catalyst settings. Then go to
Start>username>appdata>local>ati>ace>profiles folder

You'll will need to enable show hidden files and folders in folder settings in control panel.

Once there you should see your saved profile. Open it in notepad and look for these entries.

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="50700" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="75000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="50000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1050" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1250" />

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="50700" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="75000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="50000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1050" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1250" />

The want 0 values are your 2d clocks and want 1 values are your 3d clocks. Edit the 2d clocks to whatever clocks you wish,but don't go any lower than 300mhz GPU and 300mhz memory as the clocks don't seem to take. Don't mess with the voltages as they won't do anything.

Save it and then select the profile in CCC and the new 2d clocks should take, and will take automatically after boot. My idle temps for the hottest GPU is 58C with this fix, so no need for the manual fan adjustment just leave it on auto.

I have about 6 saved profiles for various settings and they all work flawlessly with this fix.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dark10x said:
Hmm, the benchmarks are not looking good on the PC. The average and minimum framerates are quite a bit lower than I would have expected when you consider the visuals being presented.

The benches are being run with 4x AA and AF, though. Performance looks pretty decent to me.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
thewesker said:
So no one can answer my question regarding the 360 version and the dead zone?

Whatever that launch/close-to-launch Far Cry game was called: Shitty aiming
Far Cry 2: perfect aiming.

chespace

Thanks kitch9, I'll try that tonight.

Here's what I'm looking at for Wed. night. I guess I will use the hotfix.

Not quite 60fps locked, but good enough. Also, they have a better CPU than my 3.4 GHz Q9550.

FC2_Hotfix_1920_DX10.PNG

JdFoX187 said:
Distribution/download in FC2 is much better. You can download maps in game. You don't have to go to the website at all to get maps and play them. If a host chooses a map that you don't have, you download it from them right in the game.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Distribution/download in FC2 is much better. You can download maps in game. If a host chooses a map that you don't have, you download it from them right in the game.
Funny, that's exactly how Halo 3 did it. You only have to go to the website to grab complete stranger's maps.

Zeliard

thewesker said:
Funny, that's exactly how Halo 3 did it. You only have to go to the website to grab complete stranger's maps.

That's the whole point. People you don't know make great things, too. It's amazing a critical feature like this to so long to hit consoles. Back in Quake 1 you could download custom maps automatically as soon as you entered a server with that map, as well as player skins, sounds, and pretty much any sort of models that you don't currently have. That was over a decade ago.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Chiggs said:
Holy Crap! Look at the Hotfix driver results for ATI cards.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...delivers_up_to_98_Prozent_better_performance/

Edit: Uh oh....

So if you've got a single GPU, you might want to avoid this driver.
So my understanding is that if you run the game in DX 10 mode on a 4870x2 there isnt too big a difference if you arent using the hotfix driver. But if you are running dx9 mode, the hotfic apparently unlocks crossfire and doubles the performance? (Which im assuming dx10 was already doing?)

chespace

Sort of begs the question... what's DX10 mode got that DX9 doesn't?

Does it vary on a game by game basis or is it a general DX10 look vs. DX9?

Because if the difference is negligible, I'd rather get the extra 15 fps.

EGM92

chespace said:
Sort of begs the question... what's DX10 mode got that DX9 doesn't?

Does it vary on a game by game basis or is it a general DX10 look vs. DX9?

Because if the difference is negligible, I'd rather get the extra 15 fps.

If it's anything like other games, it probably has better dynamic lighting and thicker / more responsive vegitation, maybe even better textures.

Zeliard said:
That's the whole point. People you don't know make great things, too. It's amazing a critical feature like this to so long to hit consoles. Back in Quake 1 you could download custom maps automatically as soon as you entered a server with that map, as well as player skins, sounds, and pretty much any sort of models that you don't currently have. That was over a decade ago.
When you join a stranger's Halo custom map variant it downloads it instantly, because filesizes for Forge maps are a few Kb. What we're saying is that as it stands Bungie.net is leagues ahead of anything in the console space for browsing player-made content at your leisure. You don't need to have downloaded anything in advance of playing.

Hootie

Alright guys, I know I'll probably get some pretty biased answers, but should I get Fable 2 or this?

Also, will the game be in stores tomorrow or will I have to wait until Wednesday?

Hootie said:
Alright guys, I know I'll probably get some pretty biased answers, but should I get Fable 2 or this?

Also, will the game be in stores tomorrow or will I have to wait until Wednesday?
I've pretty much decided on this, though I also plan on getting Fallout 3 which pretty much offsets any need I'd have for Fable 2 in the coming weeks. Also, I'm a sucker for the setting, especially after seeing how they implement animals and shit.

Hootie

MaritalWheat said:
I've pretty much decided on this, though I also plan on getting Fallout 3 which pretty much offsets any need I'd have for Fable 2 in the coming weeks.

I'm getting Fallout 3, too....why would that offset the need for Fable?

Zeliard

Hootie said:

Those two games have a lot more in common than Far Cry 2 and Fable 2, though. Seems to me like your choice should be between Fable 2 and Fallout 3. Far Cry 2 doesn't have anything in common with them, except for maybe the open exploration.

sTaTIx

Anyone who works at Gamestop who can give us an answer as to whether this game officially comes out on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Hootie

Zeliard said:
Those two games have a lot more in common than Far Cry 2 and Fable 2, though. Seems to me like your choice should be between Fable 2 and Fallout 3. Far Cry 2 doesn't have anything in common with them, except for maybe the open exploration.

Well, contrary to GAF I absolutely loved Oblivion and played it for nearly 200 hours, so Fallout 3 is a must buy for me. Guess I'll wait until Wednesday and pick up Far Cry :D

I've never played the 1st, and I just became interested in Far Cry 2 about....well yesterday actually :lol

It looks like a great, great game though and I don't want to miss out on it.

I'll be able to pick up Fable 2 next week anyway, though with Fallout 3 being released next week I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Hootie said:
Similar style of game--I'd rather get two wholly different high quality games than two similar ones to play too close to each other, and I'm personally more interested in the setting and tone F3 promises to offer.
Edit: Wise choice. :D

Zeliard

Hootie said:
Well, contrary to GAF I absolutely loved Oblivion and played it for nearly 200 hours, so Fallout 3 is a must buy for me. Guess I'll wait until Wednesday and pick up Far Cry :D

I've never played the 1st, and I just became interested in Far Cry 2 about....well yesterday actually :lol

It looks like a great, great game though and I don't want to miss out on it.

I'll be able to pick up Fable 2 next week anyway, though with Fallout 3 being released next week I'll have to wait a bit longer.

I don't quite share your love for Oblivion/Fallout 3, but there are definitely a huge number of solid games coming out. It's understandable someone would want to know what to get. My wallet is starting to get pretty thin. I've already bought Dead Space (seriously, play this game), pre-ordered and paid in full for Far Cry 2, LBP and Left4Dead. May end up snagging Fable 2 tomorrow, since it looks great. And then there's Gears 2 coming up. Sigh.

Top Bottom