• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

you guys picking up from gamestop, what was their preorder bonus actually? Limited edition case? Card with codes to enter for free missions? And is the map actually useful ie large and provides lots of detail?

DangerStepp

Going to pick this up after work today from GS. It's going to be tough leveraging out time between this, Fable II and real life but I'm up to the challenge.

Tr4nce said:
Woohoo! It seems that FarCry 2 has officially been released here today in Holland! That means 2 days earlier! Going to get my pre-order now!!! Impressions within 3 hours bitches :lol
Even Europe is getting it before Canadians!

Tom Penny

Tr4nce said:
Well, I think it's safe for me to say that the reviews haven't changed my mind luckily. The only gripes that the reviewers have had are stuff like tough bad guys, sometimes a not so good AI, long travel times and respawning enemies at checkpoints you had cleared of enemies just a while ago and also that repairing your body or cars can be a pain sometimes and not realistic. All of those things are things I can live with it. Yippie. Can't wait for Friday!

Damn it. This game went from a must buy to a mabye. Not too many things annoy me more than that in a shooter.

Zeliard

Endless respawns are indeed annoying, but I think they're much more manageable in a game as huge and open as Far Cry 2, rather than a completely linear game like Call of Duty 4.

Christ, I just started Fable 2 (awesome game) last night, and now Far Cry 2 is out today. I seriously don't know what I'm gonna play tonight. :lol Probably some Fable 2 while FC2 downloads, I guess, and then FC2 when it's installed. At least I beat Dead Space a couple days ago, so I can give that one a break for a little while (though I always feel the urge to go back and play it since the gameplay is so addictive).

They need to stop releasing so many great games in such a short span. We need more good games out during summer.

GQman2121

Banned
I pre-ordered from GS yesterday afternoon when I found out that they're the only place that is offering the extra missions and multiplayer content.

It's apparently a different press of the game because all of the content is right on the disc; down vouchers or anything. Hope they offer it as DLC somewhere down the line so that everyone can get in on it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zeliard said:
Endless respawns are indeed annoying, but I think they're much more manageable in a game as huge and open as Far Cry 2, rather than a completely linear game like Call of Duty 4.
Indeed. Can checkpoints be driven around?

eso76

oh YES YES YES.
they just called me from the store, my copy has arrived !
going to pick it up as soon as i finish work...which could be right about now.

butsomuch

Yahoo! Games review by Tom Chick - 5/5

There have been plenty of shooters with awesome graphics, unique settings, smart AI, open worlds, or fancy physics. But there hasn't been a shooter that has all of these things. Until now. Far Cry 2 is the next step in the evolution of first-person shooters. Like Half-Life before it, this is a game that puts you into a world and does everything in its power to make you forget it's a game...

The overarching concept of Far Cry 2 is to never take you out of the game. You're always looking through your character's eyes. You'll never look down from a third person view, even when you're in a vehicle. Maps aren't separate screens, but actual 3D objects you hold in your virtual hand. Menus are few and far between. The HUD elements like ammo counts and health bars are minimal, and they only come up when you're injured or low on ammo. Even navigating the wide-open world is based on following signs on the road and a portable GPS system you carry with you. The objective of Far Cry 2 as a game is to get out of the way and let you experience the game world. And there is no other game world quite like this one: haunting, spectacular, meditative, explosive, violent, and serene, all at once, and all in a mere shooter.

JBuccCP

If anyone's played multiplayer yet, are online players bullet sponges as well? I can deal with it in sp with dumb enemies but that would fucking annoy me if I put 10 shots into a guy and go down after one shot from a sniper rifle.

Treo360

chubigans said:
Indeed. Can checkpoints be driven around?

Yes, they can for the most part. As for them respawning, it's not like it's wholly unrealistic, remember you are dealing with two warring factions so you'd want them to be re-manned. That's really a minor complaint, and as I've mentioned before you can drive/walk past them. Hell if you have silent weapons and play that way, you can take out a Guard Post and not alert anyone as to your whereabouts.

The checkpoints are the least of this games problems, the bullet sponges on the other hand . . .

ZeroTolerance

A little help here guys:

64 bit Vista Premium
Nvidia 9700m GT
Duo Pro 2.2ghz

and yet i cant run the game, it keeps telling me to update my graphic card drivers however, when i visited the invidia website to get my graphic card drivers, it wasn't listed up there ?

Help please and thanks.

Zeliard

Treo360 said:
The checkpoints are the least of this games problems, the bullet sponges on the other hand . . .

I know I won't have a problem with that, since bullet sponge enemies is a big complaint about STALKER that some people have, and it didn't bother me in that game at all. People complained about it in Crysis, too.

That's why it's a good idea to go for headshots. :p

ZeroTolerance said:
A little help here guys:

64 bit Vista Premium
Nvidia 9700m GT
Duo Pro 2.2ghz

and yet i cant run the game, it keeps telling me to update my graphic card drivers however, when i visited the invidia website to get my graphic card drivers, it wasn't listed up there ?

Help please and thanks.

I dont think there is ever gaurrenteed support for mobile cards. :/

Beaulieu

ZeroTolerance said:
A little help here guys:

64 bit Vista Premium
Nvidia 9700m GT
Duo Pro 2.2ghz

Help please and thanks.

When you launch the game, you have the message telling you to upgrade your drivers, but dont the game runs anyways ? Minimized in your taskbar ?

ZeroTolerance

Beaulieu said:
When you launch the game, you have the message telling you to upgrade your drivers, but dont the game runs anyways ? Minimized in your taskbar ?

Nope. I get a message telling me my graphic card drivers are too old and another telling me that my desktop has not been set to the 32bit mode and then it exits..?

Agent Ironside said:
I dont think there is ever gaurrenteed for mobile cards. :/
Damn..hope this is not so.

Tom Penny

Treo360 said:
Yes, they can for the most part. As for them respawning, it's not like it's wholly unrealistic, remember you are dealing with two warring factions so you'd want them to be re-manned. That's really a minor complaint, and as I've mentioned before you can drive/walk past them. Hell if you have silent weapons and play that way, you can take out a Guard Post and not alert anyone as to your whereabouts.

Ok. Good. As far as bullet sponges goes..that's nothing new after playing Crysis and Stalker like Zeliard said. Is this game in stores today?

Kingpen

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Anyone have both Fable 2 and Far Cry, I'll be picking one up and don't know which one I want.

I'll be picking up Far Cry 2, Fable 2 and Midnight Club LA all today.... All of them sound phenominal

UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH.

Stupid bilingual packaging laws. I guarantee that's why everyone's saying thursday/friday for Canada. I wish publishers would prepare for this kind of stuff.

Picked up the special edition (PC) today in the Netherlands, surprised it was already in stores everywhere. Really like the SE box lol. Will be playing some tomorrow.

Median

BobFromPikeCreek said:
UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH.

Stupid bilingual packaging laws. I guarantee that's why everyone's saying thursday/friday for Canada. I wish publishers would prepare for this kind of stuff.

THE PUBLISHER IS IN FUCKING MONTREAL. I really don't get it, but at least it isn't a full week's delay.

Median said:
THE PUBLISHER IS IN FUCKING MONTREAL. I really don't get it, but at least it isn't a full week's delay.
Ubi Montreal is the developer, not publisher. Still kinda sad that the game made by Canadians is being given to Canadians last.

TaKeRx

JdFoX187 said:
Mine told me "afternoon" here, so that might be the same for you.
hopefully. I want to play this before I get to work. I'll call them up in like an hour to see what they say.

Median

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Ubi Montreal is the developer, not publisher. Still kinda sad that the game made by Canadians is being given to Canadians last.

You'd think that they'd be able to get the French manuals done easily, but apparently not.

I'll get Far Cry 2 for the PC, I think.. Just want to make sure my rig can run it fine:

Athlon X2 5400+@3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD3850 512MB

With all the awesome games coming out in 2 months I'll have to settle for the cheaper version I think :(

Tom Penny said:
If you prefer an X360 controller over mouse and K/B on a PC shooter then you have some serious issues ;)
No not really. I prefer playing single player FPS games with my 360 controller as well. Only when going online I use K/B and mouse.

Tom Penny said:
If you prefer an X360 controller over mouse and K/B on a PC shooter then you have some serious issues ;)

if you prefer dealing with driver issues, upgrading your rig every other year (to get optimal performance) to sitting on your couch with friends infront of an hd tv with 7.1 sound with a ps3 than you have some serious issues :p

So any solid PS3 impressions yet? I've seen a few tidbits of info but looking for something more concrete. I plan to pick this up in a few hours, most likely for PS3, mainly because of controller preferences and overall hardware stability. Also, is it true you get to choose between the 10 characters? That would be very cool but no reviews have mentioned that either...

burgerdog

There's already an update for the 360 version, I'll check to see if the game has southpaw for the guy that asked(not sure if that was answered already.)

Top Bottom