• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Az

Tr4nce said:
What do you want to hear? The framerate is solid, and yes occasionally some pop-up, but it's not disturbing, at least not to me. Guns sound very good, and the atmosphere is really great. Also, the weather system is so great. It's not like GTA where it changes fast, but in the world of FarCry 2, the weather changes very slowly, which feels very realistic. AI has been good so far. I gunned one sucker down, then cleared the rest of the area from bad guys, but then when I decided to walk on, I saw one baddie sitting on the ground, making no noise, and he tried to shoot me, but I took my machete and finished that little bitch off. Awesome. Also got my first trophy, feels so weird to have Trophies on PS3, but at the same time it feels that the PS3 is maturating further and further. Good thing. And the music is very good.

Nice impressions, just since the GTAIV hype and my total disappointment I am just a bit careful before buying games. Im on a budget.

cluto

Has anyone's order from Amazon shipped yet? The delivery estimate is the 23rd, but the Far Cry 2 page says "in stock on October 24th." I want my damn game.

Hootie

Going to pick up a copy of the 360 version in a little while :D

Just a quick and probably stupid question: can you hunt animals in this game?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
KrawlMan said:
http://www.lionking.org/imgarchive/Act_2/TimonScared.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Timon is actually my gamerpic on live

I'll get the 360 version some time next month when I'm not broke. Too many damn games.

Hootie

Lebron said:

Awesome...is it any fun?

I'd love to get sidetracked once in awhile trying to hunt down a lion with my machete :D

One more question: are there any bolt-action rifles in the game?

Lebron

Hootie said:
Awesome...is it any fun?

I'd love to get sidetracked once in awhile trying to hunt down a lion with my machete :D
Haven't seen a lion before. I've only seen Zebras and Wildebeest, but yeah, it is funny running over one with your vehicle every now and then. Especially when they come out of no where. I haven't actually gone out hunting for any yet

Zeliard

I've heard the animals are sort of rare and relatively obscure in FC2, as far as just stumbling upon them. Any truth to that?

madmook said:
I'll let you know how it runs on my laptop that has:

C2D T9300 2.5 ghz
4gb RAM
Geforce 8800M GTS
Vista 64-bit

And I'm curious about the PS3 version because if I like the game enough I'll get that version, too. But if sprint is on L3 like COD4, its a no-buy.

yep keep us in the loop...my laptop is very similar to yours, cept I have 8600Gt

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Does anyone know where the Journalist goes after your first meeting? I found a Jackel tape and I want to turn it in.

Ok for the PC gamers. I know id want some benchmarks, so here.

First specs.

Q6600 @ 3.6
GTX 260 @ 670/2400
4gb
Vista 32 bit
180.42 Beta's

Max of the maxed. 4AA

EDIT: By simply using the Very High as opposed to the Ultra High, I gain almost 10 full frames, getting it near 60fps avg, didnt notice any quality differences tbh.

71968925sc8.jpg

sTaTIx

Could anyone please quickly test if the PS3 version supports 1080i/p (upscaled) output? This is a critically important concern for me, as my HDTV is slightly older-generation, and does not support 720p signals.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Zeliard said:
I've heard the animals are sort of rare and relatively obscure in FC2, as far as just stumbling upon them. Any truth to that?

They aren't everywhere, sure.

But they do provide a purpose; scaring the shit out of you as they come through the bushes, being a distraction when you're sniping, and showing prescene to people as they will run away from enemies.

Zeliard

McBacon said:
They aren't everywhere, sure.

But they do provide a purpose; scaring the shit out of you as they come through the bushes, being a distraction when you're sniping, and showing prescene to people as they will run away from enemies.

Is it possible to do something like startle one of the animals and have them run off, catching the attention of the human A.I. and distracting them?

Basically I'm thinking something similar to Crysis, where you can shoot down a tree with a silencer and enemies in the vicinity will go investigate the tree (rather than you) because of the noise, and its immediate surroundings. Stuff like that is just awesome to me.

AzRim904 said:
yea i think its time for spoilertags guys...
Agreed.

Also: I downloaded the game on steam but I can not start either the map editor or the full game. Both go to the splash screen and then the process just dies (I watched it in task manager). I've got the newest ATI drivers (not using the hotfix) and I verified the file integrity in steam... not sure what else could be wrong.

I don't want to have to delete and redownload as I went home on my short lunch break to try and mess around for a little bit with the game. Anyone else having these issues?

*EDIT*

Oh yeah, my specs.

Q6600
Asus 4870
4 gb ddr2
sound blaster audigy 2
hard drives
a monitor
some disc spinners
kb + mouse

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Solideliquid said:
PC users: Confirm can you use the Xbox 360 controller?
Well, I picked up the PC version and, while I have not been able to play it yet, neither the manual or packaging mentions the 360 controller in any capacity. It listed keyboard, mouse, and headset as compatible devices and only includes keyboard mappings in the manual. It is not a "Games for Windows" release either (as all GFW releases require 360 pad support). I suppose that chances are good that it will not include support. :(

Fortunately, I think the Pinnacle Game Profiler should be able to help me there as it allows for fantastic configuration of a 360 pad for use with just about anything. Games like Doom 3, FEAR, and HL2 all play flawlessly with a pad using this software (as it allows for significant analog stick tweaking in order to achieve a perfect feel).

Still, I prefer native support so I don't have to mess around prior to playing.

Tom Penny said:
If you prefer an X360 controller over mouse and K/B on a PC shooter then you have some serious issues ;)
A mouse and keyboard is indeed a more accurate scheme, but you have to consider that people playing this game on a PC may not actually be sitting at a desk. I only game in the living room on my plasma display and, as such, lack a particularly comfortable position for mouse and keyboard play. I DO have a padded lapdesk which does allow reasonable Nostromo/Mouse play, but when I want to be more comfortable, I prefer to use a pad. With a single player game, I see no problem with this, as I can play perfectly well on a pad. Furthermore, I actually enjoy having full analog character movement (when supported). It's basically all about comfort. If a game is released on XBOX360 I see no reason why the PC version should not also include controller support. Hell, even PC-only games like Crysis include it.

Kabuki Waq said:
if you prefer dealing with driver issues, upgrading your rig every other year (to get optimal performance) to sitting on your couch with friends infront of an hd tv with 7.1 sound with a ps3 than you have some serious issues :p
Driver issues are rare. As long as you upgrade your drivers (which is really no different than upgrading the firmware on a console) you're fine. It's not as if they release new certified drivers every week either. Upgrading is indeed a bitch, but that's always been the case when you want top performance.

I do, however, use my PC on my couch with my surround system. Best of both worlds FTW! I don't even have to leave my PC in the living room thanks to 75ft cable runs! Couldn't ask for me!

Has anyone tried this on a medium to lower end rig yet? I have a GeForce 9500m on my laptop (essentially the same as a 8600 GT) and am looking to possibly pick it up.

Zeliard

RoyalSimonBoobs said:
Agreed.

Also: I downloaded the game on steam but I can not start either the map editor or the full game. Both go to the splash screen and then the process just dies (I watched it in task manager). I've got the newest ATI drivers (not using the hotfix) and I verified the file integrity in steam... not sure what else could be wrong.

I don't want to have to delete and redownload as I went home on my short lunch break to try and mess around for a little bit with the game. Anyone else having these issues?

Same exact shit happened to me with Crysis Warhead and Steam. I was never able to fix it and had to get my money's worth through other means (where it booted up and worked perfectly fine w/o Steam). Don't be surprised, by the way, if you contact Steam and they just send you to Ubisoft. That's what happened to me. It is a Steam issue, that is a certainty.

I bought FC2 through Steam, with some trepidation, and I'll be pissed if this happens again.

Zzoram

Try to see if it gives you an option to update the game again through Steam, Warhead initially didn't work for me but after a 2nd update, restarting Steam and Windows, it worked fine.

Thank god they changed their game avatar on Steam, that face that was showing up for the pre-order was ass ugly. +1 hype, 40% downloaded. Also, yay for small downloads!!

dark10x

mikekennyb said:
Has anyone tried this on a medium to lower end rig yet? I have a GeForce 9500m on my laptop (essentially the same as a 8600 GT) and am looking to possibly pick it up.
I'd imagine that you'd be better off playing this on a console (if you have one of them) as that graphics chip would likely deliver inferior visuals with slower performance.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My PS3 experience so far:

-Got to an enemy camp for the first time. Tried to shoot a barrel with my pistol from a far distance. Not a good idea. Enemy found me and killed me.

-Second time, now I've entered via a ditch, and killed a guy. Then I realized I was stuck in the ditch unless I backtracked. Killed.

-Third time, now I've got a plan. I get the flame thrower and create a diversion by setting a nearby tree on fire. I run in and get blindsided, so I run into a shed...right under the tree. The shed is on fire, and I died.

-This time, I destroyed a barrel which set off a nearby ammo depot and had bullets flying. I set half the camp ablaze, found a jeep with a turret, and killed the rest. Success!

This. Game. Is. Awesome.

Could anyone please quickly test if the PS3 version supports 1080i/p (upscaled) output? This is a critically important concern for me, as my HDTV is slightly older-generation, and does not support 720p signals.

The back of the box only says 720. I'll check for ya in a bit.

Tr4nce

720p for PS3 too mate. By the way, the night is really good. Tense shit. But man, time goes by so slow in this game. Fuck, it's so immersive. Wow.

chubigans said:
...The back of the box only says 720. I'll check for ya in a bit.

I'd also like to know this as well.

So Xbox360 is 1080P and Ps3 is 720P?

is this correct

Zeliard

Tr4nce said:
720p for PS3 too mate. By the way, the night is really good. Tense shit. But man, time goes by so slow in this game. Fuck, it's so immersive. Wow.

Anyone know what the time passage in the game translates to in the real world?

Zzoram said:
Try to see if it gives you an option to update the game again through Steam, Warhead initially didn't work for me but after a 2nd update, restarting Steam and Windows, it worked fine.
No updates it seems. I also tried installing the newest sound card drivers available and restarting was unsuccessful.

I was able to start the benchmarking program but whenever I try to run a benchmark it crashes, displaying an error saying that the benchmark couldn't be completed. This leads me to assume it is something wrong with the game itself and not steam since I am running these outside of steam. I was able to start a dedicated server though... I just can't join it.

Lunch is pretty much over so I am just going to delete what I've got and redownload. Hopefully things go smoother next time.

dark10x

So Xbox360 is 1080P and Ps3 is720P?

is this correct
Both games are using 1280x720. EVERY game can be upscaled to 1080p on XBOX360 (not native 1080p) while it varies with PS3 games (as developers have to code the support in).

dark10x said:
Both games are using 1280x720. EVERY game can be upscaled to 1080p on XBOX360 (not native 1080p) while it varies with PS3 games (as developers have to code the support in).

Ahh ok. Thanks for the info.

burgerdog

BobFromPikeCreek said:
^ If your user name is a Cosby Show reference, do you know if they actually ever showed what a Bacon Burger Dog is? I've always wanted to see it.

Somewhat late since I was enjoying this beautiful and fun to play game, but no, it's from the Enix rhythm game for the PS1 titled Bust-a-Groove. I think it was called Bust-a-Move in Japan, not entirely sure though. Anyway, I'm impressed at how good this game looks on consoles, PC dudes should be in for a treat(I know it's no Crysis to you guys, but whatever).

Oozer3993

FlashbladeGAF said:
I'd also like to know this as well.

So Xbox360 is 1080P and Ps3 is 720P?

is this correct

IIRC Xbox360 renders everything in 720p and then uses an internal upscaler for 1080i/p. Technically not true 1080 but from what I've heard, the upscaler in the 360 is very good.

Just picked up my Limited Edition copy from GS. A little disappointed that the "exclusive packaging" is just a cardboard sleeve. And for anyone wondering, the 6 bonus missions are downloaded with a code through the game, so no marketplace downloads. There's an option on the main menu for "Additional Content" under which is one for "Promotional Content." I wonder if they're going to have more promotional content at a later date? And there's an option for Exclusive Content that requires that you be connected to Live to access.

EDIT: Fun fact: The 6 GS bonus missions? They're apparently already on the disc. I just unlocked them without being connected to Live.

Zeliard

BladedExpert said:
I think i remember hearing its 6:1.. ill try and find the source...

Pretty cool. It's sort of annoying when time passage in games goes so fast when there's a day/night cycle. It hurts the immersion when it's daytime one minute and nighttime 10 minutes later.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm still waiting for PC impressions, screenshots and benchmark results from Zzoram and Chiggs.

Slackers.

(I can't play this until I get home after work <cry>)

JSnake

My internet picked the perfect time to die and force me to leech off the neighbor's (unprotected) access point. Hooray for downloading a 3GB game off Steam at 90kb/s.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The PC version supports the 360 pad.

From what I've played so far, it's pretty good, feels like a Western designed STALKER, AI is utter wank to be honest, and the enviroments so far feel very empty.

On Normal so far the game has been a piece of piss, throws syrettes at you constantly. I keep throwing nades with Q when I really want to quickswap weapons xD

dark10x

Ikuu said:
The PC version supports the 360 pad.

From what I've played so far, it's pretty good, feels like a Western designed STALKER, AI is utter wank to be honest, and the enviroments so far feel very empty.
Yes, that's great news!

Hopefully the AI isn't as annoying (or in as great of numbers) as STALKER. That absolutely ruined the game for me. Or, if they are in great numbers, I hope the actual shooting mechanics are capable of handling (as they were pretty crap in STALKER).

sTaTIx

chubigans said:
sTaTIx said:
The back of the box only says 720. I'll check for ya in a bit.
Thanks a lot for the help. Do you happen to know the procedure for forcing 1080i/p output in a PS3 game?

Liberty4all

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
IIRC Xbox360 renders everything in 720p and then uses an internal upscaler for 1080i/p. Technically not true 1080 but from what I've heard, the upscaler in the 360 is very good.

Just picked up my Limited Edition copy from GS. A little disappointed that the "exclusive packaging" is just a cardboard sleeve. And for anyone wondering, the 6 bonus missions are downloaded with a code through the game, so no marketplace downloads. There's an option on the main menu for "Additional Content" under which is one for "Promotional Content." I wonder if they're going to have more promotional content at a later date? And there's an option for Exclusive Content that requires that you be connected to Live to access.

EDIT: Fun fact: The 6 GS bonus missions? They're apparently already on the disc. I just unlocked them without being connected to Live.

So I'm assuming that means everyone got the same code, and it will be easily found on Game FAQ's?

Munin

Picked it up a few hours ago (360) but only just now got back home so I could only play a little while. Interestingly enough it seemed as if the game was selling pretty well at my local Gamestop, I noticed a whole bunch of other people running around with copies in their hands.

Anyway, the graphics and atmosphere are breathtaking. No other game can hold a candle to that.

The respawning checkpoints wouldn't be so bad, but every checkpoint fight is a fight to the death. Seriously. I set out for a mission, cross the first checkpoint with bad guys, and just after fighting off three guys, I come out with my health drained, my weapons almost empty, and a lot of sweat on my hands. In a way, it feels nice to have such tense gameplay, but I do fear it will only get frustrating later on (playing on medium).

I don't get the AI complaints - like of the poster above me - because the AI is aggressive as fuck. They'll flank you, they surround you, and they aren't bad at it at all. But what's extremely annoying about it is that even with their regular machine guns they'll spot and hit you from 500m away.

Anyway, it's a beautiful game. Will play more tomorrow.

Wait, the preorder code is an ingame code, not a marketplace code, and doesn't require a download? Thank god. No blocked content for people not getting the game from GS.

Top Bottom