• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

So how does the
malaria
thing work?
I take it that you contract it early in the game as part of the story.
But how does it actually affect gameplay?

kaskade

IGN's review is up now. 8.8, the PC version got an 8.9

IGN
Ubisoft Montreal has done some great things with Far Cry 2, the product of putting a gigantic development staff and what must have been a gargantuan budget behind developing a new kind of first-person shooter on a new engine. The formula still needs work in terms of enemy AI, quest structure, and giving the player more to do to fill in all that open space, but as it is, it's still a standout achievement. More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, a title that bears many similarities. Add to the roughly 25 hour single-player campaign a remarkably easy-to-use map creation tool and a full multiplayer suite, and you've got one of the most complete overall gaming packages of the year, as well as one of the most ambitious.

I keep checking the reviews but none of them seem to make mention of the 25fps the PS3 has.
Has anyone been playing the ps3 version yet? Notice any substantial drops?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BruceLeeRoy said:
I keep checking the reviews but none of them seem to make mention of the 25fps the PS3 has.
That was confirmed BS. That original source of that was a random user on a forum that claimed to work for Ubisoft. :\

TTG

Can't wait to pick this one up tomorrow. Looks like Ubisoft Montreal has another great title with some very interesting design ideas and amazing tech.

It's getting really annoying how all these reviews almost completely ignore the multiplayer which is sort of the deciding factor on whether I get this or not.

Zeliard

Stoney Mason said:
It's getting really annoying how all these reviews almost completely ignore the multiplayer which is sort of the deciding factor on whether I get this or not.

Eurogamer talked about it briefly and praised it:

Eurogamer said:
On much safer ground is the multiplayer, thanks to a careful raiding of COD4's encampment, making off with the levelling system and load-outs, while adding the single-player's flammable environment and vehicles. Elsewhere, the level editor is actually more of a full-blown level creator, allowing you to tweak the geography itself, and even telling you how smoothly the finished product will run.

But yeah, they don't go into any real detail, unfortunately.

Stoney Mason said:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170179
Sounds decent, and they claim its 'polished and well-balanced,' but then again its only a preview. Personally I don't really see it standing head to head with something like CoD4 or H3, and though I'd love to be proven wrong, its not the reason I'm buying this anyways!

Guy Legend

Is there one main character to the game or do you choose a character to be? I thought it was the former, but it appears to be the latter...

Edit: fixed

Hootie

Guy Legend said:
Is there one main character to the game or do you choose a character to be? I thought it was the former, but it appears to be the ladder...

lawl

Anyway, I think you just play as one character, unable to edit his appearance.

madmook

cameltoe said:
I believe d2d is starting the download at 12am PST

steam unlocks at 7pm est on the 22nd
That's like the end of the fucking day!!! Then I've gotta wait who knows how long for the goddamn thing to download. Anybody know the filesize?

KrawlMan

madmook said:
That's like the end of the fucking day!!! Then I've gotta wait who knows how long for the goddamn thing to download. Anybody know the filesize?

When the recommended system specs were released (listed in the OP) they mentioned needing ~12 GB of space. Not sure what the final number is though.

Lebron

None of the reviews I've read seem to touch on the multiplayer, what gives? Are they to busy Zebra hunting?

edit:
MaritalWheat said:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170179
Sounds decent, and they claim its 'polished and well-balanced,' but then again its only a preview. Personally I don't really see it standing head to head with something like CoD4 or H3, and though I'd love to be proven wrong, its not the reason I'm buying this anyways!
Ah, thanks for the link. Seems I missed that one.

Guy Legend said:
Is there one main character to the game or do you choose a character to be? I thought it was the former, but it appears to be the latter...

Edit: fixed

There are ten or so characters, you pick one and the rest are in your game as NPCs.

Guy Legend

BobJustBob said:
There are ten or so characters, you pick one and the rest are in your game as NPCs.

That sounds really cool. Some good replay value if your character and interactions change somewhat.

Tr4nce

Well, I think it's safe for me to say that the reviews haven't changed my mind luckily. The only gripes that the reviewers have had are stuff like tough bad guys, sometimes a not so good AI, long travel times and respawning enemies at checkpoints you had cleared of enemies just a while ago and also that repairing your body or cars can be a pain sometimes and not realistic. All of those things are things I can live with it. Yippie. Can't wait for Friday!

Nizz

Earlier today I got the automated phone call from Gamestop telling me the game would be in by tomorrow afternoon but..... Jesus, they got a new voice for the message and god damn! I pick up the phone and this chick is yelling in my ear: " HI, THIS IS AUDRY FROM GAMESTOP TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR GAME.... FAR CRY 2 (FAR CRY 2..2..2..) WILL BE IN THE STORE TOMORROW AFTERNOON! IF YOU HAVE ANY GAMES TO TRADE IN, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... WTF happened to that nice, pleasant soft spoken voice that used to call? The girl sounded like a super perkier version of "Max" who answers the 360 ring of death hotline.... I'm taking the lack of any reviews pointing out framerate differences in the 360/PS3 version as a good thing. The PS3 version sounds like it's on par with the 360 version, which is great. I'll find out tomorrow...

Oozer3993

fps fanatic said:
Earlier today I got the automated phone call from Gamestop telling me the game would be in by tomorrow afternoon but..... Jesus, they got a new voice for the message and god damn! I pick up the phone and this chick is yelling in my ear: " HI, THIS IS AUDRY FROM GAMESTOP TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR GAME.... FAR CRY 2 (FAR CRY 2..2..2..) WILL BE IN THE STORE TOMORROW AFTERNOON! IF YOU HAVE ANY GAMES TO TRADE IN, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... WTF happened to that nice, pleasant soft spoken voice that used to call? The girl sounded like a super perkier version of "Max" who answers the 360 ring of death hotline.... I'm taking the lack of any reviews pointing out framerate differences in the 360/PS3 version as a good thing. The PS3 version sounds like it's on par with the 360 version, which is great. I'll find out tomorrow...

Yeah, I got that call too. Audry sounds like she's hopped up on speed and Demerol.

Zzoram

Valve really needs to update Steam so we can pre-set it to start downloading our pre-ordered games as soon as they unlock. I might not get home until ~7-8pm in the evening, and if I just start the download then, I can't play until Thursday.

sTaTIx

If someone could just get the quickest of glimpses of the back of the PS3 version box, and tell me if it says 1080p (upscaled, not native) is supported, I'd be really grateful.

This question of whether or not I'll actually be able to play the game is killing me.

Oozer3993 said:
Yeah, I got that call too. Audry sounds like she's hopped up on speed and Demerol.

Ah. Someone else in my house answered the phone and I'm no longer curious about the weird look they gave me.

Goldrusher

chubigans said:
That was confirmed BS. That original source of that was a random user on a forum that claimed to work for Ubisoft. :\
So what frame rate does it run at ? Do you have the PS3 version ? How is it ? Make screenshots and videos !

FFS, where are the PS3 impressions ? The game is out, right ?

okrim

Banned
chubigans said:
To be honest it claimed the fps drop only at 25 fps in 'heavies' moments on ps3 and it also said that it's really hard to notice... however my friend who has purchased the game said graphically as good as 360, no tearing or frame rate drops he has seen. The only visible defect are a little pop up of texture and polygons when use the vehicles.

Mohonky

okrim said:
To be honest it claimed the fps drop only at 25 fps in 'heavies' moments on ps3 and it also said that it's really hard to notice... however my friend who has purchased the game said graphically as good as 360, no tearing or frame rate drops he has seen. The only visible defect are a little pop up of texture and polygons when use the vehicles.

You get some pop in of textures in the 360 version too.

Game over all surpasses what I would have thought consoles would be capable of though. Looks amazing.

My only concern is the brightness, it's really weird. I turn off all my dynamic contrasting etc and used DVE to calibrate my tv and for the most part it's done the job as good as I could get. ie with brightness screens before games where it tells you to adjust till 'you just see the logo' it's always spot on without needing to adjust anything, Far Cry 2 in the shadows or buildings however, is really dark. I've had to go to the menu and pump the brightness up to 5 to see anything which is odd as other games like Dead Sapce are perfect. Whe the fuck is up with that?

okrim

Banned
Mohonky said:
You get some pop in of textures in the 360 version too.

Game over all surpasses what I would have thought consoles would be capable of though. Looks amazing.

My only concern is the brightness, it's really weird. I turn off all my dynamic contrasting etc and used DVE to calibrate my tv and for the most part it's done the job as good as I could get. ie with brightness screens before games where it tells you to adjust till 'you just see the logo' it's always spot on without needing to adjust anything, Far Cry 2 in the shadows or buildings however, is really dark. I've had to go to the menu and pump the brightness up to 5 to see anything which is odd as other games like Dead Sapce are perfect. Whe the fuck is up with that?
Well GTA IV on ps3 has the same problem of brightness; I don't know if it's a problem of the tv or a wrong default video setting of the game.

Tr4nce

Woohoo! It seems that FarCry 2 has officially been released here today in Holland! That means 2 days earlier! Going to get my pre-order now!!! Impressions within 3 hours bitches :lol

Treo360

about 15% through and my only complaints thus far are;

Enemies are fucking snipers no matter what weapon they have.

Enemies are bullet sponges unless you use a sniper rifle. A Mp5 at about 4 meters takes approximately 15 rounds (half a clip) to down one. Same with the AR-15 (more like 9 rounds). I could see if they (the A.I.) were heavily armored, but these guys are sporting wife beaters and torn shorts.

Finding the suitcases takes me back to the days of crack down. Addictive!

Also this 30 hour length; Is it because it's so damned pedestrian? Taking buses is cool and at times can help speed up the travel, but I feel the whole Malaria thing is just a cheap way of extending the game.

Treo360 said:
about 15% through and my only complaints thus far are;

Enemies are fucking snipers no matter what weapon they have.

Enemies are bullet sponges unless you use a sniper rifle. A Mp5 at about 4 meters takes approximately 15 rounds (half a clip) to down one. Same with the AR-15 (more like 9 rounds). I could see if they (the A.I.) were heavily armored, but these guys are sporting wife beaters and torn shorts.

Finding the suitcases takes me back to the days of crack down. Addictive!

Also this 30 hour length; Is it because it's so damned pedestrian? Taking buses is cool and at times can help speed up the travel, but I feel the whole Malaria thing is just a cheap way of extending the game.

I thought Malaria thing was just pressing one button to take a pill or something?

Tr4nce said:
Woohoo! It seems that FarCry 2 has officially been released here today in Holland! That means 2 days earlier! Going to get my pre-order now!!! Impressions within 3 hours bitches :lol

damn.. and i was going to buy dead space today... mnn.. what to do.. i think i'm looking forward to dead space more... or buy both.... damn shit fart, too many great games at the end of the year....

Top Bottom