• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Saiyu

oh....Ubi montreal made it?

Don't tell me I have to buy this as well now just as I was weighing up whether to get FIFA or Fable

Lince

Banned
Solideliquid said:
PC users: Confirm can you use the Xbox 360 controller?

somebody answer this man, I'm playing Crysis Warhead atm with it and the implementation is just beautiful, almost flawless.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
45 minutes til Steam unlock.

Anyone know what the download size is? I won't be able to start the download till I get home tonight, which will probably be somewhere between 6 and 7, and I'd like to play tonight. I usually download very fast from Steam, but my playing time tonight will still depend on how big the download is.

Tr4nce

fc2.jpg

Woohoo! Got my pre-ordered copy today. Can't believe it got released 2 days early here in Holland. Impressions: Game looks nice, gunplay feels good and the tough guys are, well, tough :) Anyway, the atmosphere is great, and the controls feel good. Have only played SP yet, but it's so awesome.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Anyone know what the download size is? I won't be able to start the download till I get home tonight, which will probably be somewhere between 6 and 7, and I'd like to play tonight. I usually download very fast from Steam, but my playing time tonight will still depend on how big the download is.

It says requires 12GB, but I'd guess the download will be ~8gb.

Tom Penny

Kabuki Waq said:
if you prefer dealing with driver issues, upgrading your rig every other year (to get optimal performance) to sitting on your couch with friends infront of an hd tv with 7.1 sound with a ps3 than you have some serious issues :p

Already have a PS3 to play console games. Why would play $10 more for an inferior console version of this game with inferior controls?

Tr4nce said:
fc2.jpg

Woohoo! Got my pre-ordered copy today. Can't believe it got released 2 days early here in Holland. Impressions: Game looks nice, gunplay feels good and the tough guys are, well, tough :) Anyway, the atmosphere is great, and the controls feel good. Have only played SP yet, but it's so awesome.

so looks like a regular case, is the only visible difference a paper map in there?

sTaTIx

burgerdog said:
There is Standard Lefty, ohhh, and gamestop gave me the preorder version even though I didn't preorder, so win!
What does the pre-order Limited Edition look like? Could you post some pics of the case?

Tr4nce

cleveridea said:
so looks like a regular case, is the only visible difference a paper map in there?

Uhm, yeah, I guess. A small paper map. However, I didn't know it was possible to slide in this game. So good. Just press the sprint button and then press circle to slide. Cool. Also, the music and the atmospheric sounds are very nice.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
It says requires 12GB, but I'd guess the download will be ~8gb.

Dammit.

Fable 2 all evening it is, I guess, though hopefully I can still get some FC2 in before going to bed (late). Hopefully auto-downloading comes to Steam at some point. Would be tremendously useful.

madmook

Tr4nce said:
Uhm, yeah, I guess. A small paper map. However, I didn't know it was possible to slide in this game. So good. Just press the sprint button and then press circle to slide. Cool. Also, the music and the atmospheric sounds are very nice.
What is the sprint button? Are the controls customizable?

TaKeRx

O shit, when I went to get the game, the GS clerk gave me a preorder copy. It came with the missions code and the carton looking case. He even asked me if I preordered or not(I didn't).

Rainy Dog

Tr4nce said:
Glad you're enjoying Tr4nce, should have my UK PS3 copy tomorrow. What's the install size?

sTaTIx

TaKeRx said:
O shit, when I went to get the game, the GS clerk gave me a preorder copy. It came with the missions code and the carton looking case. He even asked me if I preordered or not(I didn't).
Could you please describe what the Preorder-Edition case looks like? What extras come with it?

Do you live in the US?

TaKeRx

sTaTIx said:
Could you please describe what the Preorder-Edition case looks like? What extras come with it?

Do you live in the US?

this is what it looks like

c1d80f41.jpg

It's just a carton case(with the real game in it and a code for missions. pretty much it and yea I live in the US

sTaTIx

TaKeRx said:
this is what it looks like

c1d80f41.jpg

It's just a carton case(with the real game in it and a code for missions. pretty much it and yea I live in the US
Damn, I was hoping for a SteelBook or metal case.

Does the box art on the case itself look the same as the outer cardboard Carton?

TaKeRx

sTaTIx said:
Damn, I was hoping for a SteelBook or metal case.

Does the box art on the case itself look the same as the outer cardboard Carton?

no, the front and back of the box is different from the actual case. The map also comes inside the actual case(i don't know if that's also for the non-preorder ones)

Az

Can someone post some more detailed impressions, I am planning on getting the PS3 version today.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
butsomuch said:
Yahoo! Games review by Tom Chick
- 5/5

There have been plenty of shooters with awesome graphics, unique settings, smart AI, open worlds, or fancy physics. But there hasn't been a shooter that has all of these things. Until now. Far Cry 2 is the next step in the evolution of first-person shooters. Like Half-Life before it, this is a game that puts you into a world and does everything in its power to make you forget it's a game...

The overarching concept of Far Cry 2 is to never take you out of the game. You're always looking through your character's eyes. You'll never look down from a third person view, even when you're in a vehicle. Maps aren't separate screens, but actual 3D objects you hold in your virtual hand. Menus are few and far between. The HUD elements like ammo counts and health bars are minimal, and they only come up when you're injured or low on ammo. Even navigating the wide-open world is based on following signs on the road and a portable GPS system you carry with you. The objective of Far Cry 2 as a game is to get out of the way and let you experience the game world. And there is no other game world quite like this one: haunting, spectacular, meditative, explosive, violent, and serene, all at once, and all in a mere shooter.

Nice well written review.

KrawlMan

Hell yeah! I just checked my shipment location on UPS and its only an hour away :D. I'll have the PC version in my hands by tomorrow at the latest.

KrawlMan said:
Hell yeah! I just checked my shipment location on UPS and its only an hour away :D. I'll have the PC version in my hands by tomorrow at the latest.

An hour away? Just pick it up yourself? I hate it when UPS has your package so close by, yet so far...

KrawlMan

Solideliquid said:
An hour away? Just pick it up yourself? I hate it when UPS has your package so close by, yet so far...

I've got work until around 5:30 or so today, and by then I'm pretty sure itll be even closer. If I find out it has arrived in my city (Durham NC) by the time I get off work, I'll consider picking it up.

Kuroyume

Banned
Some multiplayer impressions please... :x

How fun are the weapons to use? They look really shitty from what I've seen. I don't expect high tech military weapons, but I'm wondering if there's anything cool in there.

madmook

Yessssss Steam version downloading now. 3839 mb, if I remember correctly. That's reasonable, thank god for compression.

Tr4nce

AzRim904 said:
Can someone post some more detailed impressions, I am planning on getting the PS3 version today.

What do you want to hear? The framerate is solid, and yes occasionally some pop-up, but it's not disturbing, at least not to me. Guns sound very good, and the atmosphere is really great. Also, the weather system is so great. It's not like GTA where it changes fast, but in the world of FarCry 2, the weather changes very slowly, which feels very realistic. AI has been good so far. I gunned one sucker down, then cleared the rest of the area from bad guys, but then when I decided to walk on, I saw one baddie sitting on the ground, making no noise, and he tried to shoot me, but I took my machete and finished that little bitch off. Awesome. Also got my first trophy, feels so weird to have Trophies on PS3, but at the same time it feels that the PS3 is maturating further and further. Good thing. And the music is very good.

Can anybody confirm whether the 360 version has the same sloppy analog dead zone as the Xbox and 360 versions of Far Cry Instincts?

Zeliard

madmook said:
Yessssss Steam version downloading now. 3839 mb, if I remember correctly. That's reasonable, thank god for compression.

That is very reasonable, especially for a game of FC2's size.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ok so PC or 360? How would this run on my XPS M1530 Laptop?

T8300 Dual Core 2.4 ghz
4 Gigs of RAM
NVidia Geforce 8600M
Vista 32bit

IGN's PC review says the game scales very well so I'm leaning towards PC, also I like the quicksave.

TaKeRx said:

The same thing happened to me! I was stoked! Prior to this happening I went to Circuit City and the idiot clerk wouldn't sell it to me (I went at 1:30) He said I could wait but I said "nope, you just lost my sale!" I realize their ad said by 2pm or whatever, but seriously, come on. So glad I went to Gamestop and got the pre-order edition (also didn't pre-order.) Weee!

EDIT: It seems like Gamestop is handing out pre-order editions for the fuck of it. There's been lots of posts confirming pre-order edition without pre-order. How sweet can life get?! Now I've got to sit here at generic internship and count down the hours until I ravage this beast!

So what's the deal with the map editor? Is it in console version? Also can you really choose out of the 10 characters?

TaKeRx said:
Same thing happened to me. I went to Best Buy first but they didn't have their shipment in so I went across the street to Gamestop and they gave me the Pre-order edition even though I told them I didn't pre-order.

Hellsing321 said:
Same thing happened to me. I went to Best Buy first but they didn't have their shipment in so I went across the street to Gamestop and they gave me the Pre-order edition even though I told them I didn't pre-order.

How GNAR, seriously. Is there even a legit Limited Edition SKU? It's not listed on GSTOP.com...Hopefully these missions don't turn out to be lame-o.

madmook

NameGenerated said:
Ok so PC or 360? How would this run on my XPS M1530 Laptop?

T8300 Dual Core 2.4 ghz
4 Gigs of RAM
NVidia Geforce 8600M
Vista 32bit

IGN's PC review says the game scales very well so I'm leaning towards PC, also I like the quicksave.
I'll let you know how it runs on my laptop that has:

C2D T9300 2.5 ghz
4gb RAM
Geforce 8800M GTS
Vista 64-bit

And I'm curious about the PS3 version because if I like the game enough I'll get that version, too. But if sprint is on L3 like COD4, its a no-buy.

Top Bottom