• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
PC gaming wins again.

Zzoram, are you playing it or what? Impressions/screens/benchmarks, stat!

Sandman42

I'm in the GTA and I called my EB. They said tomorrow, or late today. I'm just going to wait until tommorow. I've got Dead Space, Saints Row 2, and Fable 2 to keep me company. Actually, I feel kind of greedy, going out to buy another game when I just bought three others. But, Far Cry 2 looks so good!:D

Zzoram

chespace said:
PC gaming wins again.

Zzoram, are you playing it or what? Impressions/screens/benchmarks, stat!

When you first launch it from Steam, it takes a while because it's background installing. Then it'll try to install .NET 2.0 but found I already have it. Then it tries to install Punkbuster, and I let it.

Zzoram

Tom Penny said:
Is the game unlocked on Steam yet? My activation code doesn't work. WTF.

What are you talking about? If you bought it over Steam, restart Steam, then click the game and choose to install and it'll download it. The first time you run it, it'll background install so wait a minute. Once installed, it asks for the serial code, but you should see it just when right clicking Far Cry 2 in Steam and choosing to view CD key.

So, where the fuck do I find the map editor in the PC version? Is it not in the menus in-game or something, I swear to god I've searched each one.

EGM92

Just uninstalled, and reinstalled, deleted all the files. Now I get a damn black screen, this is such bullshit, I should have picked up a console version.

Zzoram

Okay, I'm in. Set everything to max (some items high, others very high, others ultra high). 1680x1050, no vsync, no AA. If it runs well like that, I'll add 2xAA and see how it goes.

Default resolution is 1366x768, aka 720p HDTV. Default mouse sensitivity is really low, had to push that up a lot.

Chiggs

Gold Member
EGM92 said:
Just uninstalled, and reinstalled, deleted all the files. Now I get a damn black screen, this is such bullshit, I should have picked up a console version.

Oh yeah, I'm waiting for this to be patched.

Zzoram

Okay, I've set everything the way I want it. Now to pick, Easy/Normal/Hardcore/Infamous. I'm leaning towards Hardcore, I want it to be challenging, but not so hard I get stuck.

Zzoram said:
Okay, I've set everything the way I want it. Now to pick, Easy/Normal/Hardcore/Infamous. I'm leaning towards Hardcore, I want it to be challenging, but not so hard I get stuck.

From the streams I've been browsing Hardcore seems the way to go if you have any kind of FPS skill. Infamous looks relentless.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just got 10 min into the ps3 version. what the fuck is this shit ubi soft?

horrible screen tearing, horrible frame rate that barely reaches 30fps and awful hit detection. i was willing to give ubi the benift of the doubt, man who was i kidding.

i assume the 360 version is the best...sigh

edit: does the frame rate get any better at least? i really wana enjoy this game, but 1st impressions are abit meh :(

Mr Spliff

Fellow Canadians won't like this, but I got mine today in Toronto through my hook-up. Everyone esle in GTA should get it tomorrow no problems. I got the pre-order special with the extra 6 missions but I didn't get it at an EB so save your time calling all the chains in Toronto tonight :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Fuck it, I got the PC version. Figured I'm gonna get Dead Space soon as well as GH4 and GoW2 might as well get this one for PC. And my laptop may not run it as well as consoles (we'll see) but my desktop at home will probably destroy this game.

EGM92

Mr Spliff said:
Fellow Canadians won't like this, but I got mine today in Toronto through my hook-up. Everyone esle in GTA should get it tomorrow no problems. I got the pre-order special with the extra 6 missions but I didn't get it at an EB so save your time calling all the chains in Toronto tonight :D

Ehhh I got mine today. Got the extra content as well. I'm in Brampton.

TEH-CJ said:
Just got 10 min into the ps3 version. what the fuck is this shit ubi soft?

horrible screen tearing, horrible frame rate that barely reaches 30fps and awful hit detection. i was willing to give ubi the benift of the doubt, man who was i kidding.

i assume the 360 version is the best...sigh

WUT? i haven't encountered any of those problems at all, and i've played for 45 min-ish

perhaps i need an eye doctor?

f@luS

More than a member.
1360*768, everything to the max setting (i saw ultra high for one or 2 , didnt bother though)

Run 1 DX9 no AA
Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1360x768 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Optimal), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Very High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Very High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 49,32
* Max. Framerate: 66,62
* Min. Framerate: 35,41

RUN 2 : DX10, NO AA.
Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1360x768 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Optimal), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Very High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Very High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 56,35
* Max. Framerate: 84,64
* Min. Framerate: 39,50

Run 3 : DX9 AA*2

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1360x768 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable
Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Optimal), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Very High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Very High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Average Framerate: 45,27
* Max. Framerate: 61,49
* Min. Framerate: 36,74

Run 4 DX10 AA*2

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1360x768 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Optimal), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Very High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Very High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Average Framerate: 54,27
* Max. Framerate: 76,54
* Min. Framerate: 39,69

i guess DX10 is really better. wow

NameGenerated said:
Fuck it, I got the PC version. Figured I'm gonna get Dead Space soon as well as GH4 and GoW2 might as well get this one for PC. And my laptop may not run it as well as consoles (we'll see) but my desktop at home will probably destroy this game.
Who knows about the laptop, this game is not nearly as demanding as it seems.

Hootie

Just picked up the 360 version at Gamestop. I actually got the Pre-Order Edition too but I didn't p/o it; they were all just on the shelf sitting there.

Zzoram

How do I know if I'm set to DX9 or DX10? I'm on Vista, does it default to DX10?

The first enemies died in 1 headshot with the starter pistol on Hardcore, so unless that changes dramatically, I think the enemies are fine. The mouse control feels a tad wobbly though.

Zzoram said:

The first enemies died in 1 headshot with the starter pistol on Hardcore, so unless that changes dramatically, I think the enemies are fine. The mouse control feels a tad wobbly though.
There's an option in the graphics menu, it defaulted DX9 for me on Vista so you'll have to change it manually. But seriously guys, where's the map editor at on the PC version?!

EGM92

Zzoram said:

My Vista defaulted to DX9, even though I have DX10 hardware. Go into options it'll tell you what it's running at under the graphics settings, change it to DX10 from there and restart the game.

EGM92

MaritalWheat said:
There's an option in the graphics menu. But seriously guys, where's the map editor at on the PC version?!

If you're on Vista, go to the Games tab in the startmenu, rightclick on the Farcry 2 icon, and it's listed there as well as the Benchmark tool.

EGM92 said:
If you're on Vista, go to the Games tab in the startmenu, rightclick on the Farcry 2 icon, and it's listed there as well as the Benchmark tool.
Ah, there it is. Lame that its not in-game. Also, the multiplayer is doing nothing for me. SP's great so far though, I love the first person animations, from opening doors to buying shit online.

Zzoram

Ultra High is a scam, it doesn't look obviously better and takes down a lot of framerates.

My settings are Very High overall and Ultra High textures, Vsync ON, 2xAA, and I'm getting better framerate now than with Ultra High overall, Vsync OFF, 0xAA, but it looks better at my current setting.

I might try 4xAA, since 2xAA seemed to have no hit on performance.

I'm E8400 + HD4870 512mb + 4gb RAM + Vista 64 SP1

I don't see an option between DX9 and DX10 anywhere in-game.

f@luS

More than a member.
Zzoram said:
Ultra High is a scam, it doesn't look obviously better and takes down a lot of framerates.

My settings are Very High overall and Ultra High textures, Vsync ON, 2xAA, and I'm getting better framerate now than with Ultra High overall, Vsync OFF, 0xAA, but it looks better at my current setting.

same here, AA*2 has no impact on the benchmark (like 2-5fps max on DX10)

Ultra high is taking a big hit though
* Average Framerate: 36,68
* Max. Framerate: 54,98
* Min. Framerate: 26,58

and with AA*2
* Average Framerate: 32,80
* Max. Framerate: 49,94
* Min. Framerate: 23,45

cant wait for some tweaks to get Ultra high at the cost of very high.

though it runs OK,im glad DX10 is running REALLY better (10+ fps)
ill play 1360*768 aa*2 very high for now, at 55fps average

thatJohann

Got PS3 version. Returning to store now.

horrible piece of shit.
looks like a ps2 game.
bad gamma
bad lighting effects
blurry as hell
not even full screen

waht.the.fuck...

JSnake

HybridXL said:

horrible piece of shit.
looks like a ps2 game.
bad gamma
bad lighting effects
blurry as hell
not even full screen

waht.the.fuck...

n515975573_3711824_1182.jpg

Zzoram said:

Hell throw on 8xAA just for shits and see what happens. :D

Hootie

HybridXL said:

horrible piece of shit.
looks like a ps2 game.
bad gamma
bad lighting effects
blurry as hell
not even full screen

waht.the.fuck...

Uh is the 360 version like this?

HybridXL said:

horrible piece of shit.
looks like a ps2 game.
bad gamma
bad lighting effects
blurry as hell
not even full screen

waht.the.fuck...

Not 720p you mean? I don't get it. Looks like a PS2 game? How?

Barakov

Playing the 360 version. This is game is quite excellent so far. Currently at 8% completion. I have a feeling this one's going to keep me busy for awhile.

thatJohann

ok lemme explalin...

PS3 VERSION HERE:

the moment the game started i thought the colors and gamma were way off. it just looks very grayish and colors look uneven. no, im not talking about the malaria effects.

then the dreaded Vsync. its off. and when i mean off i mean like the screen is splitting in half every 3 seconds with around 25fps framerate.

my tv is 720p, my ps3 is set at 720p yet there is small black bars at top and bottom. not fillin whole screen vertically.

the graphics just look bad. character models look original xbox quality.

weird lighting engine adjusts "real-like" lighting where after looking at really bright spots the bloom turns back down, etc etc, but it makes it difficult to see correctly.

i dont see much jaggies, but the screen is a friggin BLUR. BLUR filter everywhere, just doesn't look ps3 quality.

far cry instincts xbox 360 looks better.

totally disapointed. returning to store later for refund.

anddo0

HybridXL said:
ok lemme explalin...

PS3 VERSION HERE:

the moment the game started i thought the colors and gamma were way off. it just looks very grayish and colors look uneven. no, im not talking about the malaria effects.

then the dreaded Vsync. its off. and when i mean off i mean like the screen is splitting in half every 3 seconds with around 25fps framerate.

my tv is 720p, my ps3 is set at 720p yet there is small black bars at top and bottom. not fillin whole screen vertically.

the graphics just look bad. character models look original xbox quality.

weird lighting engine adjusts "real-like" lighting where after looking at really bright spots the bloom turns back down, etc etc, but it makes it difficult to see correctly.

i dont see much jaggies, but the screen is a friggin BLUR. BLUR filter everywhere, just doesn't look ps3 quality.

far cry instincts xbox 360 looks better.

totally disapointed. returning to store later for refund.

please do jr.. I have no idea what game you're playing.

Zzoram

Wait, where is the benchmark? I don't see it anywhere. If I forgot to add the game to my Games folder in Vista, how do I add it now?

nvm found it in my Steam folders

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Zzoram said:
Wait, where is the benchmark? I don't see it anywhere. If I forgot to add the game to my Games folder in Vista, how do I add it now?
Look in the bin folder, wherever you installed the game.

Somnia

I'll give impressions of the PS3 version tomorrow. I forgot my copy at work when I left and did not feel like driving back up there. (for those wondering I am letting all of my employees check out the 360 version for a week apiece and then giving it to the employee with the best sales over the month of November.)

Top Bottom