• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Tiduz

Eurogaime
HOLY FUCK.
no seriously. this game is awesomely optimized.

my specs are:
E6600 stock speed
2gb ram
vista
MSI Radeon HD4850 512MB

im playing on a HDTV, 1080P
EVERYTHING on verry high
60 fps CONSTANTLY. Holy fuck.

DeadCell

Stopped by two local EB's about an hour ago, both told me it might be in by tomorrow. *sigh*

I live just outside of Toronto by the way, anyone from around here know of any stores that have it yet?

DeadCell said:
Stopped by two local EB's about an hour ago, both told me it might be in by tomorrow. *sigh*

I live just outside of Toronto by the way, anyone from around here know of any stores that have it yet?
Canada got screwed. Everywhere is saying tomorrow or Friday.

DeadCell

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Canada got screwed. Everywhere is saying tomorrow or Friday.
So I've heard... :(

I think it's safe to say that we can all blame the French Canadians on this one.

Although, to their credit, they sure know how to make some killer poutine.
God bless fries, cheese curds, and gravy. <3

MMaRsu

Tiduz said:
HOLY FUCK.
no seriously. this game is awesomely optimized.

my specs are:
E6600 stock speed
2gb ram
vista
MSI Radeon HD4850 512MB

im playing on a HDTV, 1080P
EVERYTHING on verry high
60 fps CONSTANTLY. Holy fuck.

screenshots biatch :p

The Chef

chubigans said:
My PS3 experience so far:

-Got to an enemy camp for the first time. Tried to shoot a barrel with my pistol from a far distance. Not a good idea. Enemy found me and killed me.

-Second time, now I've entered via a ditch, and killed a guy. Then I realized I was stuck in the ditch unless I backtracked. Killed.

-Third time, now I've got a plan. I get the flame thrower and create a diversion by setting a nearby tree on fire. I run in and get blindsided, so I run into a shed...right under the tree. The shed is on fire, and I died.

-This time, I destroyed a barrel which set off a nearby ammo depot and had bullets flying. I set half the camp ablaze, found a jeep with a turret, and killed the rest. Success!

This. Game. Is. Awesome.

Hell yes! :lol
Thanks for that - I cant wait to get PS3 version after work.

DeadCell said:
So I've heard... :(

I think it's safe to say that we can all blame the French Canadians on this one.

Although, to their credit, they sure know how to make some killer poutine.
God bless fries, cheese curds, and gravy. <3
Poutine is awesome. The best part is how disgusted Americans get when you post pictures of it.

got my ps3 version on lunchbreak today.

can't wait to pop it in and try it out, but
i'm taking a massive shit right now.

and poutine looks and sounds absolutely disgusting. i mean i'd still try it because everyone swears by it, but hot damn....yikes.

Zzoram

NameGenerated said:
Arg, still can't decide on PC or 360, how would an 8600m handle this? I wish there was a PC demo out. :(

The 8600m is slower than the desktop 8600GT, so in that case, I'd probably suggest 360. It'll run fine on the PC, but might not run with equally beautiful, unless you've got a low resolution LCD.

Playing the 360 version and this game is gorgeous. Really really great. I'm really surprised how good it is. I was a bit hyped and went with a blind buy, but wow, it's really good so far.

Is anyone else playing on a computer monitor and getting small bars on the top and bottom of the screen?

My monitor is a 22" samsung that is 1280x1050 native ( I think they're adding that resolution with the fall update)

Zzoram

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Poutine is awesome. The best part is how disgusted Americans get when you post pictures of it.

You know you've got something special when Americans are disgusted by your fast food :lol

anddo0

Sick game, just noticed something.

I restarted the game and my start point after the "cease fire" mission is different. I wonder if its randomized.

The dialogue changed too.. The first time he said "you're sick, so if you die too bad".. Second time he says "you're sick you don't have time to screw around"

Nice touch.

Zzoram

SonOfABeep said:
Playing the 360 version and this game is gorgeous. Really really great. I'm really surprised how good it is. I was a bit hyped and went with a blind buy, but wow, it's really good so far.

Is anyone else playing on a computer monitor and getting small bars on the top and bottom of the screen?

My monitor is a 22" samsung that is 1280x1050 native ( I think they're adding that resolution with the fall update)

Are you sure you don't mean 1680x1050, which is the standard resolution of 22" LCD monitors?

I can't wait to take some benchmarks and screenshots tonight. I'll do that in like 2 hours.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
You know you've got something special when Americans are disgusted by your fast food :lol

It's true. I read his post with a disgusted expression. "Who would...." :lol

Zzoram said:
Are you sure you don't mean 1680x1050, which is the standard resolution of 22" LCD monitors?

I can't wait to take some benchmarks and screenshots tonight. I'll do that in like 2 hours.

Yeah, that. I always get confused on the first number. I know it's not quite the right resolution for the 360, right? is that why there's the black bars?

Zzoram

JSnake said:
Will my HD 4850 + Core 2 Duo E8400 tear this game apart at max settings? Res is 1280x720.

At 720p? It'll rape, you have nothing to worry about.

007_far_cry_2_benchmark_test.png

Zzoram

SonOfABeep said:
Yeah, that. I always get confused on the first number. I know it's not quite the right resolution for the 360, right? is that why there's the black bars?

SDTV/CRT monitors are 4:3 aspect ratio. HDTV is 16:9, and LCD monitor is 16:10. The reason for the black bars is the slightly different aspect ratio, so the LCD has extra pixels at the top and bottom that the console isn't normally outputting.

Zzoram

JSnake said:
Was this posted?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/far-cr...rmance-review/

Guru 3D performance test using 17 different graphics cards.

Please fix that link.

nvm I found it:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/far-cry-2-pc-vga-graphics-performance-review/5

Apparently Far Cry 2 HATES the 9800GX2 badly.

Note the Guru3D benchmarks use an E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0GHz, so it might be limiting the 4870x2, but it's much more relevant to the average gamer without a 4.0GHz oc'd Quadcore.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
got my ps3 version on lunchbreak today.

can't wait to pop it in and try it out, but
i'm taking a massive shit right now.

and poutine looks and sounds absolutely disgusting. i mean i'd still try it because everyone swears by it, but hot damn....yikes.

its evil...don't

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Seems this is the first game, I've played, were running in DX10 actually gives a performance boost.

Yesssssssssss! Just got the game!

Call all the EBs around you, Canadians. I decided to call an EB in a mall semi-close to me not expecting much, and they had it. Just got home with it! I even got the pre-order bonuses!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The damn game won't even start properly on my PC. :(

It just switches to a blank window. Eventually, the main menu seems to start up (music is heard and mouse clicking activates "stuff"), but there is no image on the screen (not even in safe mode). I'm using the nVidia beta drivers here, but those were made FOR this game.

Any ideas?

EGM92

Got the game installed. I was running the game went through the intro and had it crash on my system, I started the game in safemode to see what was causing the error, seems it was just a random hardware failure. I go to change the game settings like resolution and such but it won't let me change it even outside of safemode in the game.

Any idea if there's an INI that I could edit? also my game keeps starting up in windowed mode, I HATE THAT. Is there an option within the game to change this? I know there's one within the benchmark tool.

Thanks

bee

dark10x said:

It just switches to a blank window. Eventually, the main menu seems to start up (music is heard and mouse clicking activates "stuff"), but there is no image on the screen (not even in safe mode). I'm using the nVidia beta drivers here, but those were made FOR this game.

Any ideas?

those drivers are bugged in dx9, there's a few workarounds for it, think disabling aero is one of them

Ikuu

Go to user/Documents/My Games/Far Cry 2/GamerProfile.xml and edit that, annoyingly the game goes to Windowed mode whenever you alt tab and there seems to be noway to get it to fix.

S1kkZ

played the game for 4 hours (360): awesome, so good looking. i only did 2 missions, the other time is was just exploring (the oasis area in the lower right is so awesome!).
the only complaint: not enough animals in the world.

oh and ubisoft: please make a LOST first person game with that engine.

EGM92

Ikuu said:
Go to user/Documents/My Games/Far Cry 2/GamerProfile.xml and edit that, annoyingly the game goes to Windowed mode whenever you alt tab and there seems to be noway to get it to fix.

Thanks,

the game freezes whenever I try to change the resolution, happens everytime now, since I tried to run it in safemode.

Ikuu said:
Seems this is the first game, I've played, were running in DX10 actually gives a performance boost.
Hmmm, not my experience. I'm running a Pentium D @ 3 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, and a 4850 and I had everything at very high with 4xAA, ran super smooth in DX9, tried DX10 with same settings and suddenly misplaced colors occured everywhere and whole chunks of screen would simply not appear at moments (total black); went back to DX9 and everything was ultra-smooth again. This game runs extremely well (although not nearly as impressive as Crysis); as for gameplay I've only just begun, but the opening sequence was pretty impressive. Shooting is not quite as fun as I'd anticipated it to be though.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
dark10x said:

Any ideas?

Fuck, if this happens to me tonight, I am seriously going to go on a tear. Seems you aren't the first person to have this happen to so I'm nervous.

Ikuu

Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
4GB RAM
1GB 4870 with a slight OC

Ranch (Small) Very High w/4xAA @ 1680x1050
DX10: 39.80
DX9: 30.60

f@luS

More than a member.
Ikuu said:
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
4GB RAM
1GB 4870 with a slight OC

Ranch (Small) Very High w/4xAA @ 1680x1050
DX10: 39.80
DX9: 30.60
1st game with DX10 perf higher than DX9?

EGM92

Game just gave me 2 BSOD one was random with no writting, the other was during the car ride and it was a SPQH.SYS crash whatever that is. Haven't had a BSOD in Vista in well over a year :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I fixed the black screen issue, but I want to use triple buffering. The game hits 60 fps a lot, but when it drops, it drops all the way to 30 fps due to lack of triple buffering. D3D Overrider causes it to crash. I'd rather not play with v-sync disabled either.

Top Bottom