• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

JdFoX187

Banned
HybridXL said:
far cry instincts xbox 360 looks better.

totally disapointed. returning to store later for refund.
:lol Have you played Instincts? It looks horrible compared to this. IF, and I mean IF, you are even playing the same game as the rest of us, there's obviously something wrong with your TV and/or PS3.

Go ahead and return the game if you feel so bad about it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Somnia said:
I'll give impressions of the PS3 version tomorrow. I forgot my copy at work when I left and did not feel like driving back up there. (for those wondering I am letting all of my employees check out the 360 version for a week apiece and then giving it to the employee with the best sales over the month of November.)

can I work for you?

Erebus

Is the PS3 version of the game as bad as some people describe?

Because none of the reviews I've read mention any significant differences between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version of Far Cry 2.

Zzoram

Ran a benchmark, DX10, Very High overall, Ultra High textures, 1680x1050, 2xAA, Vsync ON, 42FPS avg, 31fps min, 60fps max (vsync)

How do I set DX10 in game? I can't find it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just played a bit...not impressed at all so far. Runs well enough on Ultra High, but graphically it reminds me of Haze, so uhhh yeah. Have only had a few shootouts but the shooting doesn't feel particularly good, with these early weapons anyway. Turned off by the universal ammo boxes. Also wasn't expecting the game to be this linear...

cicatriz

I'm not sure what PS3 version everyone got but either they're all insane, or I got a legitimate copy.

After playing the 360 version almost all day then coming home and putting in my PS3 copy, I can tell you there aren't any major graphical degradations the PS3 suffers from.

I have seen some minor slowdown, but nothing serious (though I haven't caused any major havoc yet). So far tearing hasn't been an issue on my 720p CRT.

I'll post back in a few.

f@luS

More than a member.
Some screens i took, Very high everying, with Ultra high texture. AA*2

888077Screenshot0000.jpg

119035Screenshot0001.jpg

547965Screenshot0002.jpg

571778Screenshot0003.jpg

874730Screenshot0004.jpg

228711Screenshot0005.jpg

399297Screenshot0006.jpg

looks good, like a big pc fps should look. Its no crysis for sure.

I don't like to repeat myself too much, but I'll ask one last time since lots of people are coming home with this game tonight.

Does the 360 version have a giant sloppy deadzone like Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox and the 360? On the 360 they issued a patch to reduce the slop from 35% to 24%, but it was still huge vagina.

Zophar

Picked up the 360 version and poked around in it for an hour. It's very sloooooow. Hopefully it picks up, though I'm sure it will.

Zzoram

chespace said:
I hate all of you.

Zzoram, benchie bench.

* Average Framerate: 45.64
* Max. Framerate: 61.31
* Min. Framerate: 34.35

1680x1050 2xAA Vsync ON DX10 (I can set it DX10 in the benchmark, but can't figure out how in-game)

Very High Overall

Zzoram

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I don't like to repeat myself too much, but I'll ask one last time since lots of people are coming home with this game tonight.

Does the 360 version have a giant sloppy deadzone like Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox and the 360? On the 360 they issued a patch to reduce the slop from 35% to 24%, but it was still huge vagina.

I don't know, but I noticed in the PC version that there is an upgrade tab with upgrades for accuracy. Maybe it wobbles more at the start, and upgrades steady the cursor?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ran another benchmark and DX10 as shown earlier, gives a pretty significant increase. 1680x1050 Very High, with textures at Ultra and 2xAA.

DX9: * Total Frames: 2231, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 43.73
* Max. Framerate: 56.47 (Frame:317, 6.19s)
* Min. Framerate: 35.92 (Frame:1784, 41.81s)

DX10: * Total Frames: 2685, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 52.63
* Max. Framerate: 76.13 (Frame:176, 2.71s)
* Min. Framerate: 39.23 (Frame:1151, 20.84s)

Edit: You enable DX10 in the options under display. Tried Ranch (Long) and again DX10 gives +10FPS on average.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
HybridXL said:
ok lemme explalin...

PS3 VERSION HERE:

the moment the game started i thought the colors and gamma were way off. it just looks very grayish and colors look uneven. no, im not talking about the malaria effects.
Not really.

then the dreaded Vsync. its off. and when i mean off i mean like the screen is splitting in half every 3 seconds with around 25fps framerate.
Vsync is indeed off. Framerate is a smooth 30 even with a ton of fire effects. Believe me, I tried it. :)
my tv is 720p, my ps3 is set at 720p yet there is small black bars at top and bottom. not fillin whole screen vertically.
Works fine for me!

the graphics just look bad. character models look original xbox quality.
Eh, they look OK but it's nothing amazing.

weird lighting engine adjusts "real-like" lighting where after looking at really bright spots the bloom turns back down, etc etc, but it makes it difficult to see correctly.
Turn up the brightness. Helps considerably.
i dont see much jaggies, but the screen is a friggin BLUR. BLUR filter everywhere, just doesn't look ps3 quality.
Completely untrue.

far cry instincts xbox 360 looks better.

Incredibly untrue. And I have played both. :lol

totally disapointed. returning to store later for refund.
Your loss, my friend.

MercuryLS

Banned
Mr Spliff said:
Fellow Canadians won't like this, but I got mine today in Toronto through my hook-up. Everyone esle in GTA should get it tomorrow no problems. I got the pre-order special with the extra 6 missions but I didn't get it at an EB so save your time calling all the chains in Toronto tonight :D

I just walked into Gamestop in Shopper's World Brampton and got mine, no fuss at all. Supposedly the street date is for tomorrow but they got an email saying to sell it as soon as they receive them.

Tom Penny

The only complaint I can muster about the graphics is why such a crappy looking arm and gun models when the environments are spectacular? I honestly cannot believe how good the game runs and looks.

EviLore said:
Just played a bit...not impressed at all so far. Runs well enough on Ultra High, but graphically it reminds me of Haze, so uhhh yeah. Have only had a few shootouts but the shooting doesn't feel particularly good, with these early weapons anyway. Turned off by the universal ammo boxes. Also wasn't expecting the game to be this linear...

Does not compute.

JdFoX187

Banned
MercuryLS said:
So does anyone know where the code for the extra missions is located in the case? I'd like to have access to those missions.
Think they're printed on the disc.

Played a mission or two, up until I go to get ammo for the first time. Pretty fun. But jesus christ Ubi, what is with you and voice acting? Between this and Assassin's Creed, they cannot seem to do voice acting worth a damn. Though, that's the only drawback to the game right now. Everything else is aces. And such a beautiful game too. I'm surprised the 360 is running it so well.

Nobby

I have an e8400, 2gb ram, 512 8800gt and when I switch the game to dx10 in the menu and restart the game it runs so poorly it takes atleast a full minute to play the far cry 2/ubisoft logo and stutters. When it gets to the menu there is a lag with any input or movement. When I play dx9 it runs fine. Anybody else having this problem?

MercuryLS said:
So does anyone know where the code for the extra missions is located in the case? I'd like to have access to those missions.
It should be the little sticker on the front of the cardboard outer sleeve.

cameltoe

Flunkie said:
Wow. The PC version compared to the 360 (and I'm sure PS3) version is like night and day to me. I can enjoy this game now.

:)

yeah, I installed and played the PC version on very high for a bit...then popped in the 360 version...UGLY!!! The opening level is like completely different on the 360...

Az

Just played for about an hour, I am 50-50 on this. I mean its still to early to decide. For some reason I'm just not impressed with the graphics, and the shootouts.

We'll see...

Zeliard

AzRim904 said:
Just played for about an hour, I am 50-50 on this. I mean its still to early to decide. For some reason I'm just not impressed with the graphics, and the shootouts.

We'll see...

Which version are you playing?

anyone else having weird color issues and strange big black boxes all over the screen? like this

FarCry22008-10-2212-58-08-07.jpg

Using a HD 4870 with catalyst 8.8 drivers.

GhostRidah said:
anyone else having weird color issues and strange big black boxes all over the screen? like this

FarCry22008-10-2212-58-08-07.jpg

Using a HD 4870 with catalyst 8.8 drivers.
YES!!! Using 4850 w/ 8.8 here. Are you using DX10? I did and that happened, went back to DX9 and it was all good.

GhostRidah said:
besides those issues does anyone else mouse move super slow? put it on max sensitivity and still pretty slow.
Yes, it is very sluggish, feels like the aiming was designed for a controller.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Chiggs said:
What the hell? Really? They actually did that?

Not universal in the Deus Ex Invisible War sense. Universal in the "Any shotgun dropped gives you shotgun ammo, and any assault rifle dropped gives you assault ammo" sense. Picking up 10 bullets doesn't give you a rocket to fire.

DarkUSS said:
Is the PS3 version of the game as bad as some people describe?

Because none of the reviews I've read mention any significant differences between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version of Far Cry 2.

i own the ps3 version, and i'm very happy with it. i haven't played the 360 version; i chose to go with ps3 over 360 because everyone i know who's buying far cry 2 is ps3 only. i'm starting to think i need my eyes checked though because to me, it looks great. i mean its no gears of war or uncharted, but i still think it looks and runs pretty damn good. the dude with the avatar of himself blowing his ps3 controller mentioned something about black bars on the top of his screen, and i don't have that AT ALL. my tv is native 720p as well, ps3 set to 720p, and it takes up all of my hdtv.

i hate to come across as "fuck your opinion, you don't know shit", because if he isn't happy with it then he isn't happy with it, but i personally think his statements are completely baseless.

GhostRidah said:
Wish I could use dx9 mode, my screen just goes black when I use it.

vista sp1 64
Prbly something with it being 64 then, I'm using 32. If you find a fix for that wonky coloring/black spot shit please update me on here though, if this runs better in DX10 thats how I want to run it, but obviously I can't at the moment because it does that.

Zzoram

Can someone please post a screenshot of how to switch from DX9 to DX10? I can't find it anywhere, and I've been looking hard.

cameltoe

<--idiot!!

Ok ran the benchmark

heres the poop

q6600 (stock) Msi 8800 GT 512MB 2GB Ram

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1920x1080 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Total Frames: 1529, Total Time: 51.02s
Average Framerate: 29.97
Max. Framerate: 46.59 (Frame:241, 6.30s)
Min. Framerate: 20.48 (Frame:1148, 38.38s)

Looks like I need to turn some shit down!!

Zzoram said:
Can someone please post a screenshot of how to switch from DX9 to DX10? I can't find it anywhere, and I've been looking hard.
Menu>Display>Drop down box located a little under the resolution changing box>close out and restart game>tada! Too lazy for screens, sorry, but its literally right there :)

Top Bottom