• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Zzoram

MaritalWheat said:
Menu>Display>Drop down box located a little under the resolution changing box>close out and restart game>tada! Too lazy for screens, sorry, but its literally right there :)

I swear it isn't for me. I'm reading some forums, and apparently my Steam might be running in WinXP compatibility mode, which disables the DX9/DX10 selection in Far Cry 2 altogether. I'm going to try removing compatibility mode.

Yup that fixed it. I didn't even know I had Steam.exe set to WinXP compatibility mode.

TaKeRx said:
this is what it looks like

c1d80f41.jpg

It's just a carton case(with the real game in it and a code for missions. pretty much it and yea I live in the US

PS3 has better box art at least, no big red "GameStop Pre-Order Edition" on it.

Flunkie

Banned
cameltoe said:
yeah, I installed and played the PC version on very high for a bit...then popped in the 360 version...UGLY!!! The opening level is like completely different on the 360...
Not just ugly, but the controls are horrendous on the consoles, imo. It just feels like the game was designed first for PC, and then when they transitioned to the consoles, they didn't adapt the controls for dual analog. Sprinting in the PC version and sprinting in the console version are totally different.. and not to mention aiming. Aiming feels awesome on the PC. The dual analog controls for FC2 feels like emulated mouse controls, and it fails hard.

By the way, what do you mean by the opening level is different? Graphics wise, or are you meaning that it's presented differently?

madmook

Did a quick test run with my laptop because some of you scared me with your stories of not being able to even boot up the game. Fortunately, the game started up just fine for me. The little pop-up about old video drivers is annoying, though.

My laptop specs are:
C2D T9300 2.5ghz
4 gigs DDR667 RAM
Geforce 8800M GTS @ stock clocks
Not sure of driver version, its a little bit before the ones that turned on ageia physx
Vista 64-bit w/ SP1

Here are some screens of the area right at the beginning of the game. I literally played a few minutes. I ran at 1280x800, all settings on high, dx9, no vsync and no aa. The in-game fps counter was showing a steady 30-40's. I guess you guys can compare these with the ultra high settings and/or the console graphics.

qowuao.jpg

t6w9dz.jpg

2cf71wg.jpg

2u5582d.jpg

2vjvg55.jpg

2qb7n0p.jpg

295twr6.jpg

4hr4nr.jpg

vd35td.jpg

zkheti.jpg

I will be playing it later tonight with my desktop, which has an AMD X2 5600+ and an ATI HD4850, which has Windows XP.

Flunkie said:
Not just ugly, but the controls are horrendous on the consoles, imo. It just feels like the game was designed first for PC, and then when they transitioned to the consoles, they didn't adapt the controls for dual analog. Sprinting in the PC version and sprinting in the console version are totally different.. and not to mention aiming. Aiming feels awesome on the PC. The dual analog controls for FC2 feels like emulated mouse controls, and it fails hard.

By the way, what do you mean by the opening level is different? Graphics wise, or are you meaning that it's presented differently?
Thats the thing though, it doesn't. Going from CoD4 or Crysis on PC to this on PC--icky. Feels like my cursor is floating through a sea of honey.
Also, yay for you Zzoram! Now if only I figured out why my DX10 is fucked...

I have the following:

E6600
8800gt
4gigs Ram
Vista32
Audigy2

and I play everything at 1280x800

Looking at the responses thus far, I should be able to run this fairly well. Will know tonight as the game wasn't finished downloading via Steam before I had to leave for work...

Zzoram

AgentOtaku said:
I have the following:

E6600
8800gt
4gigs Ram
Vista32
Audigy2

and I play everything at 1280x800

Looking at the responses thus far, I should be able to run this fairly well. Will know tonight as the game wasn't finished downloading via Steam before I had to leave for work...

Ya, at that resolution it'll be smooth as silk.

Oreoleo

Just played this for an hour (Steam) and so far I'm kind of indifferent on it. Of course I barely got out of the tutorial part, and then it seemed like the difficulty shot through the roof as I died twice within 10 minutes (Playing on normal, just beat Dead Space on hard which was a bit of an accomplishment but this took all my new-found hubris right out of me). I think it'll pick up once I get used to the gameplay mechanics though.

Anyway, it seems there's a bit of pop-in a la Crysis. Anyone have any console commands to fix that a little bit? Otherwise this game runs MUCH better than I was expecting. Before I started I turned on 2xAA expecting a chugfest but it's surprisingly smooth.

Also, to mention Crysis again, I keep finding myself sneaking around either wanting to cloak or switch to strength mode to beat stuff up or throw ammo boxes and whatnot. I have to remind myself that that's not the game I'm playing.

Flunkie

Banned
MaritalWheat said:
Thats the thing though, it doesn't. Going from CoD4 or Crysis on PC to this on PC--icky. Feels like my cursor is floating through a sea of honey.
Also, yay for you Zzoram! Now if only I figured out why my DX10 is fucked...
I should've said, "Compared to the crap console controls."

cameltoe

i find the aiming on the pc fine....not floaty at all. On the 360 its pretty bad!

And yes, the level is presented differently. But that could be because I chose a different dude from the one on the PC.

Cool moment:

in the very first level you have to take that first safe house...you need to kill the guards to unlock it. Well, I go sneaking up there and they spot me and open fire. One dude comes after me while the other dude kinda hangs back. I take out the dude coming after me by a tree in some deep foliage. I leave him there and go after the last guy. I take him out and. I go over to the door...umm, locked. WTF! So i start looking around the area, maybe there is another dude hiding....nope. A few minutes pass and I wonder over to the first dude I thought I killed...HES GONE!! FUCKER! So I go looking for him, I mean he cant get far...he's wounded. I cant find the fucker...so I just looking around when I hear a gasp....safe house unlocked!! The little bastard crawled away then died about 7 minutes later!! So fucking cool...

Christ, looking at the screenshots (i've not played the game yet) it just shows how far ahead of the pack crytek is. I remember everyone going apeshit over the technology behind this yet it doesn't even come close.

Flunkie said:
I should've said, "Compared to the crap console controls."
Sheesh, I can't even imagine what PC controls that feel like they were made for console that feel even worse on console feel like. :D
Anyways, anyone else try multiplayer yet? Feelings?

Zeliard

fizzelopeguss said:
Christ, looking at the screenshots (i've not played the game yet) it just shows how far ahead of the pack crytek is. I remember everyone going apeshit over the technology behind this yet it doesn't even come close.

To be fair, nothing comes close to Crysis.

I'm really liking it so far (x360). I personally think the graphics are great. Maybe not mind-blowing, but I'm pretty shocked at the extreme hate in this thread. It looks really good to me in 720p (lower res than a high-end PC sure, but that's always the case).

Also, am I crazy or does your vision "adjust" in darkness and become lighter after a few seconds? Might have been my eyes playing tricks when I had the brightness turned too low, dunno.

Flunkie

Banned
MaritalWheat said:
Sheesh, I can't even imagine what PC controls that feel like they were made for console that feel even worse on console feel like. :D
Anyways, anyone else try multiplayer yet? Feelings?
:lol You'd rather play it on the consoles? ;)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Campster said:
Not universal in the Deus Ex Invisible War sense. Universal in the "Any shotgun dropped gives you shotgun ammo, and any assault rifle dropped gives you assault ammo" sense. Picking up 10 bullets doesn't give you a rocket to fire.

Okay, not great, but this I can live with.

senahorse

Kabuki Waq said:
if you prefer dealing with driver issues, upgrading your rig every other year (to get optimal performance) to sitting on your couch with friends infront of an hd tv with 7.1 sound with a ps3 than you have some serious issues :p

Can this shit end already? With hdmi being able to run at fairly long distances it's a moot point in a lot of cases. I get all the benefits of PC gaming, as well as all the benefits of home theatre and kuro just fine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, any word on if there is a way to lock the framerate at 30 fps on the PC or, even better, enable triple buffering?! The framerate f*cking sucks with v-sync on. It constantly jumps between 30 and 60 fps depending on what I'm looking at due to the lack of triple buffering. I suppose it's more 60 than 30, but still, it's annoying as hell as it makes the control feel like shit when it hits 30.

Also, 360 pad support kind of sucks as the sticks are wayyyyy too sensitive and you can't adjust them. The controls in general feel really bad, to be honest.

chespace

Zeliard said:
To be fair, nothing comes close to Crysis.

THIS x 1000000000

As much as I love the potential of FC2 and the fact that I'll be playing it tonight right after I leave this office, quit talking about Crysis FFS.

I haven't even played Warhead yet, but what I just experienced visually over the last week cannot be replicated via any other videogame.

dark10x -- turn off vsync. You can do it. I know you have it in you to do it. Enjoy the content. Go do enjoy.

Zzoram

The shooting mechanics definitely don't feel as good as they do in Crysis. That said, the game is promising. I just encountered the crazy colour environments that all HD4870 seem to be getting.

Zzoram said:
The shooting mechanics definitely don't feel as good as they do in Crysis. That said, the game is promising. I just encountered the crazy colour environments that all HD4870 seem to be getting.
Does going DX9 fix it for you? :lol if it does, after all the trouble you just went to getting DX10.

MomoPufflet said:
Also, am I crazy or does your vision "adjust" in darkness and become lighter after a few seconds? Might have been my eyes playing tricks when I had the brightness turned too low, dunno.
I would assume that's an HDR effect.

Anyone else here love the devs efforts to "immerse the player" , by that I mean, the extensive POV animation sets, from the Weapon Jams to pulling out rounds and such?

I just think that it looks fantasic, animated well and really adds to the visceralness of it all

Like I love the weapon jam animation when the player tries to clear the chamber for the M4 type weapon

senahorse

dark10x said:
So, any word on if there is a way to lock the framerate at 30 fps on the PC or, even better, enable triple buffering?! The framerate f*cking sucks with v-sync on. It constantly jumps between 30 and 60 fps depending on what I'm looking at due to the lack of triple buffering. I suppose it's more 60 than 30, but still, it's annoying as hell as it makes the control feel like shit when it hits 30.

Also, 360 pad support kind of sucks as the sticks are wayyyyy too sensitive and you can't adjust them. The controls in general feel really bad, to be honest.

What's with this seemingly growing trend of leaving this option out? Unfortunately, forcing vsync through the ATI CCC doesn't work on vista for some reason, well at least not for me.

dark10x

dark10x -- turn off vsync. You can do it. I know you have it in you to do it. Enjoy the content. Go do enjoy.
I simply can't stand tearing. Triple buffering should work, but D3D Overrider causes FC2 to crash when it is loaded. I don't understand why, but that's what occurs. :\

At least it sounds like the console versions suck.

Zzoram

MaritalWheat said:
Does going DX9 fix it for you? :lol if it does, after all the trouble you just went to getting DX10.

I didn't have that issue in DX9. Oh well, I'm keeping it on DX10. Maybe I'll update my catalyst to 8.10 from my 8.9

dark10x said:
I simply can't stand tearing. Triple buffering should work, but D3D Overrider causes FC2 to crash when it is loaded. I don't understand why, but that's what occurs. :\

At least it sounds like the console versions suck.

Dunno....I've just been playing sooo many years on PC with Vsync off, that tearing never bothers me, even when it's on consoles

...unless it's the opening to Prey .....ugh

chespace

Zzoram said:
I didn't have that issue in DX9. Oh well, I'm keeping it on DX10. Maybe I'll update my catalyst to 8.10 from my 8.9

You can't update to the hotfix because you have a single core 4870? That sucks. 8.10 has been good to me in Crysis and you should update to it.

dark10x -- I doubt very much the console versions suck. Sounds like folks had crazy high expectations and wanted Crysis-like graphics on consoles, or were just trolling the PS3 version. There are plenty of people enjoying both versions on consoles so I'm sure it's fine.

AgentOtaku said:
Anyone else here love the devs efforts to "immerse the player" , by that I mean, the extensive POV animation sets, from the Weapon Jams to pulling out rounds and such?

I just think that it looks fantasic, animated well and really adds to the visceralness of it all

Like I love the weapon jam animation when the player tries to clear the chamber for the M4 type weapon

I almost prefer using the shitty found weapons just for the jamming-- so awesome. Little things like having to get out of the cars to fix them, setting shit on fire, etc-- love it.

MomoPufflet said:
I almost prefer using the shitty found weapons just for the jamming-- so awesome. Little things like having to get out of the cars to fix them, setting shit on fire, etc-- love it.

exactly!

...so your weapons rust/deterioate over time yes?

JdFoX187

Banned
chespace said:
dark10x -- I doubt very much the console versions suck. Sounds like folks had crazy high expectations and wanted Crysis-like graphics on consoles, or were just trolling the PS3 version. There are plenty of people enjoying both versions on consoles so I'm sure it's fine.
Yep, I can tell the difference between the PC shots here and what I'm playing on my tv right now. But it's nothing groundbreaking. And seeing PC shots certainly does not make the 360 version look "ugly" by any means. Hyperbole is astounding. The controls are also fine, except with a few problems I had in the opening act. I'm in love with it.

cameltoe

JdFoX187 said:
Yep, I can tell the difference between the PC shots here and what I'm playing on my tv right now. But it's nothing groundbreaking. And seeing PC shots certainly does not make the 360 version look "ugly" by any means. Hyperbole is astounding. The controls are also fine, except with a few problems I had in the opening act. I'm in love with it.

After playing the PC version on ultra high then switching to the 360 version on the same monitor...yeah, looks ugly.

dark10x

OK, I suppose the game defaulted to Ultra High and was jumping between 30 and 60 fps a lot, but after switching to Very High, it's pretty much a rock solid 60 fps. The game actually looks and feels great running at 60. It's a pretty nice looking game.

I've noticed that the grass looks quite different from Crysis in that they've created 3D models for each "blade" similar to MGS4 (though in greater amounts). Crysis used lots of textures on flat polygons with alpha edges. Very different approach. The Crysis method would require more memory when used for such variation, however.

Now, if only I could tweak the 360 pad for a less sensitive right analog stick...

dark10x said:

Uh, that sucks, I honestly can't fathom why every game can't have a menu option for triple buffering because it makes such a massive difference to the gameplay experience and no, tearing is not a solution.

JdFoX187

Banned
cameltoe said:
After playing the PC version on ultra high then switching to the 360 version on the same monitor...yeah, looks ugly.
It doesn't look "ugly." It's still a very impressive looking game on consoles. I'm impressed Ubisoft was able to put it on consoles with such few setbacks in the graphics department.

Brannon

Was playing on a custom map and decided to swim underwater a bit. Lost some health due to near drowning and came up and healed. And he promptly put his arm back in place.

Drowning breaks your arm?

Other than that, this game is ace.

KrawlMan

Brannon said:
Was playing on a custom map and decided to swim underwater a bit. Lost some health due to near drowning and came up and healed. And he promptly put his arm back in place.

Drowning breaks your arm?

Other than that, this game is ace.

:lol thats hilarious

madmook

Oh man, maybe I'm just tired, but after a brief session I'm starting to feel a little dizzy. I get motion sickness from some FPS games (like Marathon and Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA). The screenshake is slight but noticeable when walking, but it cranks up when sprinting. Bah.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Hmmm... anyone know why I can't check the HDR option? Even with AA off, and DX10, I'm apparently forced to use bloom.

Why?

I thought DX10 auto required HDR and that's why we can't uncheck it.

thatJohann

chubigans said:
Not really.

Vsync is indeed off. Framerate is a smooth 30 even with a ton of fire effects. Believe me, I tried it. :)

Works fine for me!

Eh, they look OK but it's nothing amazing.

Turn up the brightness. Helps considerably.

Completely untrue.

Incredibly untrue. And I have played both. :lol

Your loss, my friend.

I guess I got a f'ed up disc. Or all of you are wearing friggin goggles. whatever.

chespace

Downloading now.

Will have impressions and benchmark results later.

Also, how do you take screens?

Top Bottom