• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Nizz

belvedere said:
Long story but basically it comes down to a translated statement from one of the developers someone posted at beyond3d.

The original poster has since refined his comments a bit. It turns out the dev said that under heavy load, the PS3 version is more likely to drop to 25fps than the 360 ver.

Edit:

Here's the quote from the dev

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=48001&page=10
Oh, ok. Thanks for that. A 5fps dip shouldn't even be really noticeable. When talking framerates, even the best of 'em out there dip slightly when there is heavy action going on. On consoles at least. I guess it would be different if I had a good PC. Sounds like the PS3 version is fine though. Regardless, I paid for my copy in full yesterday and will be picking it up next week.

Tr4nce

Hmm, the negative little things mentioned in that review have me worried a bit. Ah, I will get this day one anyway.

sTaTIx

@Dork or @Somnia, I have a quick question about the controls in this game:

When you SPRINT in this game, do you have to click and HOLD DOWN the left-stick-button while pushing forward? Or can you just quickly click the button once while pushing forward (i.e., you don't have to hold it down) like in COD4?

I dislike that it's not possible to set enemies in the map editor. One of the things I was hoping for, but I can understand why they left it out. The rest of the features of the editor however, impressive, over the top, totally GOTY worthy aspect. They thought pretty much about everything, and more, but it's all aimed at the multiplayer.

And I am surprised that the AI hasn't been critiqued badly in that 7/10 review. I had the impression off the grade given that they felt the AI had failed hard.

Somnia

REV 09 said:
how are the controls? someone from the txb forums was saying that the controls were "wonky" and not as smooth as Halo/CoD.

Also, can you post a rundown of the control scheme? thanks

I like the controls personally.

LT: Aim
RT: Fire
LB: Heal yourself/Take your pills (dont wanna say much more than that you have to play)
RB: Grenades
X: Reload
Y: Interact
A: Jump (also quickly switchs your seat to gunner and back to driver in a car...nice little animation)
B: Crouch
dpad: switch weapons
L3: Sprint
R3: switch grenade type

There's different controls for cars,etc. but ya pretty much thats that. Every gun aims different,etc. so who knows maybe they arent using a gun they like. I like the controls, but you have to get use to EVERYTHING being in first person.

sTaTIx

JBuccCP said:
That's closer to what I expected. I think this one can wait until after the big rush of games is over.

I liked that review though, never heard of that site before.
BobFromPikeCreek said:
God damn this is confusing. Now I'm not sure if I want to day one again.
You two are going to base your opinion on ONE review? From a small little no-name website/blog, no less? What happened to all the other reviews, like 5 other reviews that gave the game perfect 10's and 9's?

So far, 5 reviews giving it either a 100% or 90%. ONE SINGLE SOLITARY review gives it a 70%. And it's the one contrarian 70% that sways you???

Somnia

sTaTIx said:
@Dork or @Somnia, I have a quick question about the controls in this game:

When you SPRINT in this game, do you have to click and HOLD DOWN the left-stick-button while pushing forward? Or can you just quickly click the button once while pushing forward (i.e., you don't have to hold it down) like in COD4?

Few posts before yours...but you click once.

DEAD RABBIT said:
And I am surprised that the AI hasn't been critiqued badly in that 7/10 review. I had the impression off the grade given that they felt the AI had failed hard.

I'm going to have to disagree with them...I think the AI is pretty good as I've said in a few posts.

KrawlMan

sTaTIx said:
You two are going to base your opinion on ONE review? From a small little no-name website/blog, no less? What happened to all the other reviews, like 5 other reviews that gave the game perfect 10's and 9's?

So far, 5 reviews giving it either a 100% or 90%. ONE SINGLE SOLITARY review gives it a 70%. And it's the one contrarian 70% that sways you???

The problem right now is that (at least for me), the only review that is readily available to read right now happens to be the one that gave it a 7/10.

I'm still pumped as hell about the game, day 1!

REV 09

Somnia said:
I like the controls personally.

LT: Aim
RT: Fire
LB: Heal yourself/Take your pills (dont wanna say much more than that you have to play)
RB: Grenades
X: Reload
Y: Interact
A: Jump (also quickly switchs your seat to gunner and back to driver in a car...nice little animation)
B: Crouch
dpad: switch weapons
L3: Sprint
R3: switch grenade type

There's different controls for cars,etc. but ya pretty much thats that. Every gun aims different,etc. so who knows maybe they arent using a gun they like. I like the controls, but you have to get use to EVERYTHING being in first person.
nice control scheme. i was worried that they may put aim at R3. i've gotten to where i like aim at LT better in most shooters.

belvedere said:
Here's the quote from the dev

I do not think it normal that transcends both. The PS3 version of this brilliant, is exactly like that of 360, only there is a difference of 5 fps when what has charged at that time is quite heavy. If this is a hit for you, after all the work that there is behind the two versions to make them roughly equal, it is quite disheartening. Moreover, to see if when you play someone tells me that these note 5 to 0 fps difference. Already he goes.

notlolwutpearuw5_4.jpg

j/k I always wanted to use that image

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
http://www.totalpcgaming.com/games/far_cry_2/

This is probably one of the most pretentious reviews I've read in a while. The first couple paragraphs are especially awkward.

It's only a game.

STFU with your dramatic refrain.

And what the fuck does the verdict mean:

Plot a graph; genius times incompetent design. Far Cry 2 is in the top right

Really? You want me to plot a graph in my mind as your IN CONCLUSION?

Still, I worry about the travel times a little bit, but not that much.

I'm REALLY concerned about weapon degradation. That shit needs to go. Now.

Hopefully people will mod/patch it on PC.

well I am not completely convinced about the game, I do fear games that take so long to do missions that it feels like work and I end up never finishing them.

However, I like the look of the game enough to have it preordered. I would recommend people on the fence to preorder just on the off-chance, because it looks like in USA the only way to get the a limited edition (free upgrade) is through ebgames preorder:

Reserve Far Cry 2 and you will automatically be upgraded to receive the FREE Limited Edition upgrade. This is a reservation-only offer. While supplies last.

Pre-Order Edition:

* 6 Bonus Missions (3 hrs of game play)
* Full-Size Fold-Out Map

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=67177

chespace said:

This is probably one of the most pretentious reviews I've read in a while. The first couple paragraphs are especially awkward.

It's only a game.

screenshot_06.jpg

:lol

Zzoram

cleveridea said:
well I am not completely convinced about the game, I do fear games that take so long to do missions that it feels like work and I end up never finishing them.

However, I like the look of the game enough to have it preordered. I would recommend people on the fence to preorder just on the off-chance, because it looks like in USA the only way to get the a limited edition (free upgrade) is through ebgames preorder:

Wait, there are special missions only through EB pre-order? Do Steam pre-orders give us the same missions?

I actually don't mind weapon degradation as a mechanic, provided it is transparent and obvious, and -- more importantly -- that it occurs in a realistic timeframe. If this is like System Shock 2 in that you fire off a clip and the gun falls apart...

Zzoram

Shake Appeal said:
I actually don't mind weapon degradation as a mechanic, provided it is transparent and obvious, and -- more importantly -- that it occurs in a realistic timeframe. If this is like System Shock 2 in that you fire off a clip and the gun falls apart...

It seems to have obvious visual cues. The developer walkthroughs suggest that they look more rusty and muddy as they get more damaged, and will start to jam more often.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
chespace said:
Yeah, Crysis this is not. :lol

screenshot_07.jpg
I don't see how you would have expected that to be the case. There exists no other game on any platform that can match Crysis at this time. They certainly could not replicate the visuals in Crysis on either of the consoles and they likely wanted to avoid taxing PC users so heavily as well. Of course, the map in Far Cry 2 is *MUCH* larger than anything in Crysis (which has each mission broken up into its own individually loaded map). Crysis has fairly large areas, but it is not a seamless game.

That said, I do think Crysis looks pretty ugly unless you are using the highest quality settings (or mostly high). I also think FC2 is pretty variable with some scenes looking rather nice while others come off as fugly.

JBuccCP

sTaTIx said:

I'm a pessimistic person.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
chespace said:

It's only a game.

I assume weapon degradation is more of a factor for guns you pick-up from dead foes. Visual cues like rust will show on the weapon model.

chespace

dark10x said:
I don't see how you would have expected that to be the case. There exists no other game on any platform that can match Crysis at this time. They certainly could not replicate the visuals in Crysis on either of the consoles and they likely wanted to avoid taxing PC users so heavily as well. Of course, the map in Far Cry 2 is *MUCH* larger than anything in Crysis (which has each mission broken up into its own individually loaded map). Crysis has fairly large areas, but it is not a seamless game.

That said, I do think Crysis looks pretty ugly unless you are using the highest quality settings (or mostly high). I also think FC2 is pretty variable with some scenes looking rather nice while others come off as fugly.

I wasn't expecting Crysis level graphics, but that pic is especially jarring, especially given it's from a PC review site and they said in their awfully written review that they have a tip top and you don't stop of the line PC rig.

Truly shitty looking graphics in that pic.

Zzoram said:
Wait, there are special missions only through EB pre-order? Do Steam pre-orders give us the same missions?

if I recall correctly, there is an advert in the Game Informer (owned by gamestop) that describes this limited edition as an exclusive upgrade at gamestop only.

not to say that other companies cant do their own deals but thats the only deal I heard of.

Zzoram

cleveridea said:
if I recall correctly, there is an advert in the Game Informer (owned by gamestop) that describes this limited edition as an exclusive upgrade at gamestop only.

not to say that other companies cant do their own deals but thats the only deal I heard of.

Retailer exclusive missions is a horrible development. Exclusive costumes, or other such meaningless add-ons are fine, but missions? Bah.

chespace

Zzoram said:
Retailer exclusive missions is a horrible development. Exclusive costumes, or other such meaningless add-ons are fine, but missions? Bah.

Yeah, I also got the Steam version. :(

On the positive side, at least my gimped 4870x2 can run the game maxed out. :lol

(I'm getting my new 4870x2 today to see if it's my GPU that's the culprit)

I'm still worried about weapon degradation. Is there a way to at least sit down and clean your guns (like you can in real-life) to keep them from jamming?

I know that whenever I go to the range, I always clean the crap out of the firearms I use.

Somnia

chespace said:
Yeah, I also got the Steam version. :(

On the positive side, at least my gimped 4870x2 can run the game maxed out. :lol

(I'm getting my new 4870x2 today to see if it's my GPU that's the culprit)

I'm still worried about weapon degradation. Is there a way to at least sit down and clean your guns (like you can in real-life) to keep them from jamming?

I know that whenever I go to the range, I always clean the crap out of the firearms I use.

From the weapons I've bought,etc. I've never noticed anything wrong with them...so no idea what they are talking about. Now I have picked up a gun that was laying on the ground and it was rusted as hell and would jam easily. Maybe that's what they were talking about? Otherwise I have no idea what they are even talking about so I do not think it's as big of a factor as they are making it out to be :D

KrawlMan

Somnia said:
From the weapons I've bought,etc. I've never noticed anything wrong with them...so no idea what they are talking about. Now I have picked up a gun that was laying on the ground and it was rusted as hell and would jam easily. Maybe that's what they were talking about? Otherwise I have no idea what they are even talking about so I do not think it's as big of a factor as they are making it out to be :D

Good to hear :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
dork can you get impressions from the Playstation 3 version?
thanks

Kibbles

-Clover said:
Can you build pyramids and the Eiffel tower with the console map editor, or was that PC only?
Yes you can. Everything in the PC Editor is in the Console editors, the only difference is controls, and interface.

Kibbles

Somnia said:
the game looks light years better than that...no idea whats up with that pic

Ditto. Maybe it's a mod someone made for a different game to look like Far Cry 2? lol. No other videos or pics even look close to that.

Raide

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm geting this and Fallout 3 sometime but I have no clue for which system I should buy for.

PS3 or 360???

Well, it depends on how much multiplayer and Map Making you want to do and where all of your friends are. Singleplayer is identical, so it will only really be which version most of your friends have so you can shoot them. :lol

Somnia said:
Now I have picked up a gun that was laying on the ground and it was rusted as hell and would jam easily. Maybe that's what they were talking about?
Maybe I'm alone, but that sounds really cool to me.
Exarchos said:
:O Really?
I've heard them say a couple times that the editor is identical on all platforms, PC or console, outside of interface.

The chat has been useful though. A few guys with the game have told me that custom maps work in player matches, which is awesome. Stuff made in Halo's Forge was pretty much worthless because you could only play it with invited friends, but in Far Cry 2 you can play the stuff you created with strangers, and you can also download and play their stuff.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
The chat has been useful though. A few guys with the game have told me that custom maps work in player matches, which is awesome. Stuff made in Halo's Forge was pretty much worthless because you could only play it with invited friends, but in Far Cry 2 you can play the stuff you created with strangers, and you can also download and play their stuff.
Wait, so you can join a quick match or something and end up on some random guys shitty map totally tilted in his favor? Sounds rad to me. There was a reason for not including random forge variants in Halo's matchmaking...

MaritalWheat said:
Wait, so you can join a quick match or something and end up on some random guys shitty map totally tilted in his favor? Sounds rad to me. There was a reason for not including random forge variants in Halo's matchmaking...
If that's a problem for you, play ranked matches. Those are the 12 official maps only.

JdFoX187

Banned
MaritalWheat said:
I'm waiting on a good reason...Bungie was supposed to have a custom game browser, but they were
un
surprisingly quiet when the game launched.

More options are better. I'm glad FarCry 2 is actually USING its map editor.

Kibbles

MaritalWheat said:
Then play ranked. I'm sure there are options where you can opt not to play on user-created maps in unranked though.

Top Bottom