• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

chespace said:
:lol

Anyway, I had a session where it was just extremely frustrating because I went out on a mission with the wrong loadout of weapons and started using unreliable guns from enemies to compensate halfway through the mission and found myself getting outgunned constantly. So I turned the difficulty down to normal from hardcore.

And yeah, I get about the same framerates whether I'm at 1920 or 1680 so why not play at the highest res possible on my 24"?

What do the difficulty settings dictate, anyway?

How much of a bullet sponge you want to be.

I really think that's the only difference. I hope their gets to be an AI mod for the game to make me fear you when you come in with a flame thrower. I'd like to see enemies run away from me because I've got more firepower than they have in numbers. :D

Vaporak

VictimOfGrief said:
Yes.

I know you're probably like "WTF?" as I was until I figured out how gaming worked on the PC.

So if I'm understanding everything correctly it usually boils down to something like this:

1280x720 (720p comparable to consoles) - CPU bound
1280x1024 - CPU bound
1440x900 - Slightly CPU bound / Slightly GPU Bound
1680x1050 - GPU Bound
1920x1200 - GPU Bound
higher resolutions- GPU Bound

So right now I have a 19" monitor. For optimal gaming I need a 22" monitor to play @ 1680x1050 to make sure most of my gaming experience is coming from my GPU instead of my CPU.

Either way, my point in saying this is that even if you had a 4870 or 4870x2 or GTX280, you'd probably still be seeing about the same framerates on your TV due to the CPU doing most of the work for you.

I'd like to bump in and clarify. Running a higher resolution should never, baring some weird bug, result in a higher frame rate. The best you're going to get it a negligible loss in framerate in a highly CPU limited situation. Also, resolution does not universally dictate whether you are CPU or GPU bound, so using it as some kind of rule is nonsensical.

JSnake

What else would you suggest is going on that's making me get lesser frame rates on a higher-end system and with lower settings to boot?

bee

chespace said:
:lol

Anyway, I had a session where it was just extremely frustrating because I went out on a mission with the wrong loadout of weapons and started using unreliable guns from enemies to compensate halfway through the mission and found myself getting outgunned constantly. So I turned the difficulty down to normal from hardcore.

And yeah, I get about the same framerates whether I'm at 1920 or 1680 so why not play at the highest res possible on my 24"?

What do the difficulty settings dictate, anyway?

i don't really find it too difficult at all on infamous although it can be annoying at times, the jeeps now have higher calibre guns on them and 1 hit takes 3 bars of health of me :s

i just stick to the same guns all the time really, as-35? the best sniper anyway, uzi and a rocket launcher. got the accuracy/reliability mods for all 3, camo suit, marksman bandolier, light assault webbing, large syrette kit and the 3 crates for your guns

haven't had to pick up any shitty enemy guns in the last 5 hours or so

Vaporak said:
I'd like to bump in and clarify. Running a higher resolution should never, baring some weird bug, result in a higher frame rate. The best you're going to get it a negligible loss in framerate in a highly CPU limited situation. Also, resolution does not universally dictate whether you are CPU or GPU bound, so using it as some kind of rule is nonsensical.

Point I was making was getting optimal FPS for your hardware. Playing at his resolution, he is more CPU bound than he is GPU bound. Now with an E8400, that's a 3.0GHz C2D so he should be getting in the 40-50FPS range with a 4850--- however I think the resolution is his limiting factor given his situation.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just had the most awesome thing ever happen in the game so far, had to write it up.

One of my buddies at Mike's Bar gave me a mission to steal something from a police station about 3 miles away. In looking at my map, I could see that taking the river would get me there easy, so down to the docks behind the bar I went, and headed out, going west. Getting past Pala and no enemy in site, I was starting to let me guard down.

Big mistake. I rounded a bend and saw a boat coming my way, 2 guys in it of course. The machinegunner immediately opened fire, I brought out the bolt-action and sniped them both. This alerted a nearby guard shack, which was at the foot of a bridge some distance away. I motored closer and set about picking guys off. About halfway through the fight I could hear an engine coming. It was some dude in the hatchback car.

He comes barreling up, hauling ass, and RAMS into the railing of the bridge, sending his car flipping into the air, right down upon the hut of the guard shack below! Fucking HUGE explosion comes next, following by screams, more secondary explosions, but it wasn't over yet. Suddenly a propane tank goes spinning wildly, on fire, out over the water, straight into my fucking BOAT!

It explodes, sending me to the bottom of the river along with my boat. Omg this game rocks!

Really enjoying this so far. Reminds me a bit of Deus Ex in that the actual shooting mechanic isn't great, but the game itself manages to transcend this. Plus setting things on fire is always good.

However, I would prefer it if you had more of a feel for the two factions - as it is, everyone you meet instantly tries to kill you. It'd be nice if there were more faction areas you could walk around freely as long as you were friends with them.

And yes, the AI is pretty poor.

I guess I can understand why guards immediately gets alerted. I mean, in real life, if you shoot someone from a distance or even at close range, it isn't like there won't be any noise. :lol

Diseased Yak said:
I just had the most awesome thing ever happen in the game so far, had to write it up.

One of my buddies at Mike's Bar gave me a mission to steal something from a police station about 3 miles away. In looking at my map, I could see that taking the river would get me there easy, so down to the docks behind the bar I went, and headed out, going west. Getting past Pala and no enemy in site, I was starting to let me guard down.

Big mistake. I rounded a bend and saw a boat coming my way, 2 guys in it of course. The machinegunner immediately opened fire, I brought out the bolt-action and sniped them both. This alerted a nearby guard shack, which was at the foot of a bridge some distance away. I motored closer and set about picking guys off. About halfway through the fight I could hear an engine coming. It was some dude in the hatchback car.

He comes barreling up, hauling ass, and RAMS into the railing of the bridge, sending his car flipping into the air, right down upon the hut of the guard shack below! Fucking HUGE explosion comes next, following by screams, more secondary explosions, but it wasn't over yet. Suddenly a propane tank goes spinning wildly, on fire, out over the water, straight into my fucking BOAT!

It explodes, sending me to the bottom of the river along with my boat. Omg this game rocks!

So good...

sammy

i'm happy to see other enjoying the game as much as i am ... thought i was on crazy pills or somethin' i know i'm a sucker for exploration, but some folks seemed pretty put off by the game. i just wish the vehicles had analog gas/brake, but otherwise i get by just fine with 'em.

i just have a jeep flip over on an enemy and he was screaming nonstop for 15 min :lol

sniping works for me so far, and the flamethrower goes a long way. but what i find most fun about the game is getting sidetracked by "private property" areas full of baddies to take down. the missions at the oasis areas are really fun and there's always tons of shootout opportunities to be had on the way to your objectives.

I think you should have the option to pass through the guard posts peacefully for the cost of a few diamonds.... It's pulls me out of the game a bit when they just attack on site...

Those of you on the fence seeing these awesome screens and are learning towards buying the game...

If you're buying it for a console, RENT THE GAME.

I was fully ready to immerse myself into the world, but it does so many things wrong, that the positives (graphics, setting, explosions) absolutely cannot redeem what's absolutely crazy messed up with the game (the core gameplay).

VictimOfGrief said:
Yes.

I know you're probably like "WTF?" as I was until I figured out how gaming worked on the PC.

So if I'm understanding everything correctly it usually boils down to something like this:

1280x720 (720p comparable to consoles) - CPU bound
1280x1024 - CPU bound
1440x900 - Slightly CPU bound / Slightly GPU Bound
1680x1050 - GPU Bound
1920x1200 - GPU Bound
higher resolutions- GPU Bound

So right now I have a 19" monitor. For optimal gaming I need a 22" monitor to play @ 1680x1050 to make sure most of my gaming experience is coming from my GPU instead of my CPU.

Either way, my point in saying this is that even if you had a 4870 or 4870x2 or GTX280, you'd probably still be seeing about the same framerates on your TV due to the CPU doing most of the work for you.

This is probably the most incorrect post I've read in a long time. Just because the GPU is not 100% utilized doesn't mean extra stress is placed on the CPU - moving to a higher resolution just so that the GPU can have more to work with does not mean the framerates will go up - in fact they will stay the same, until the resolution gets so high that the GPU has to do more work than it's made for, resulting in eventual dips in frame rate.

Telling a person to get a bigger monitor so he can get better framerates when it fact it won't do anything but stay the same or even dip, is a pretty disgusting thing to do - a deliberate act of telling someone to waste his money on the back of false information. You will never ever see a rise in framerates just because you've given the GPU 'more work'. Obviously you haven't learnt enough about PC gaming.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Bah, game just crashed to the desktop again.

Luckily, I'm spamming the F5. I have 236 megs of saved games from just the past 2 days. :p

I've been going in and manually deleting old saved games in Vista since the in-game save game management system sucks balls.

Still trying to find my favorite loadout combination. So far, I think my favorite is still the bolt action sniper, silent makarov, and PKM or RPG combo -- at least that's what I've had the most success with.

I just did a Mike's Bar mission to blow up a cache at a ranch and my loadout was M79, MP5-SD, and dart rifle. It was pretty good, except I don't have enough ammo for both M79 and dart rifle. Also, the MP5 still feels somewhat underpowered to me if I'm not getting headshots.

I've done the reliability and accuracy upgrade to the dart rifle. Can I also do an ammo upgrade or what?

Zedsdeadbaby said:
This is probably the most incorrect post I've read in a long time. Just because the GPU is not 100% utilized doesn't mean extra stress is placed on the CPU - moving to a higher resolution just so that the GPU can have more to work with does not mean the framerates will go up - in fact they will stay the same, until the resolution gets so high that the GPU has to do more work than it's made for, resulting in eventual dips in frame rate.

Telling a person to get a bigger monitor so he can get better framerates when it fact it won't do anything but stay the same or even dip, is a pretty disgusting thing to do - a deliberate act of telling someone to waste his money on the back of false information. You will never ever see a rise in framerates just because you've given the GPU 'more work'. Obviously you haven't learnt enough about PC gaming.

Never said I was a Zen Master but that's how I understood. So really Jsnake is pretty much stuck then.

Point being is what is taking the load and in his resolution, the CPU is running most of the brunt work rather than the GPU.

So maybe overclocking maybe not--- probably would need to try some more things to optimize his setup.

JSnake

Zedsdeadbaby said:

So, what do you suggest is the problem?

edit: I've already OCed my E8400 to 3.2Ghz. Don't want to go higher since I am on stock HSF and this motherboard was as budget as I could go while still maintaining hardware compatibility.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JSnake said:
So, what do you suggest is the problem?

edit: I've already OCed my E8400 to 3.2Ghz. Don't want to go higher since I am on stock HSF and this motherboard was as budget as I could go while still maintaining hardware compatibility.

4850, 2GB RAM, E8400 at 3.0 yields this.

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=15357 (Copy Paste)
Full comparison again: http://www.guru3d.com/article/far-cry-2-pc-vga-graphics-performance-review/5

(50fps average on 3 runs of the benchmark)

Why don't you give the benchmark a run and see what you get.

thewesker said:
Okay, so I found the diamonds using the diamond tracker. How do I dig them up or whatever? It goes solid green but now what?

when its solid that just means you are pointed the right way, walk that direction and look for a glowing white/gray suitcase. It should also make an audible tone when you are close to it.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
when its solid that just means you are pointed the right way, walk that direction and look for a glowing white/gray suitcase. It should also make an audible tone when you are close to it.
Oh I see, they weren't very descriptive.

So, do you guys thinks I´m going to be able to play at high levels with my config?

Athlon X2 4400+
GF 9600GT
4GB DDR2 800
WinXP 64

My CPU fucking sucks >_>

JSnake

Hazaro said:
What is your rig again?

Is your PSU good enough to handle your rig?
Temps on your 4850 while playing? (RivaTuner)

Core 2 Duo E8400
2GB DDR2 667 RAM
HD 4850
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 x86

My PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-450VX. Correct me if I'm wrong but that should be fine for my 4850. Especially since I'm only running one HDD.

My temps are are around the high 60s low 70s

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Insane Metal said:
So, do you guys thinks I´m going to be able to play at high levels with my config?

Athlon X2 4400+
GF 9600GT
4GB DDR2 800
WinXP 64

My CPU fucking sucks >_>

Check chart:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/far-cry-2-pc-vga-graphics-performance-review/5

JSnake said:
Core 2 Duo E8400
2GB DDR2 667 RAM
HD 4850
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 x86

My PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-450VX. Correct me if I'm wrong but that should be fine for my 4850. Especially since I'm only running one HDD.

My temps are are around the high 60s low 70s

Yeah that's fine. I'm running a 3.8Ghz E7200 and OC'd GTX 260 on my 520W.

Do you settings match these?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/far-cry-2-pc-vga-graphics-performance-review/2

What is the performance difference between DX9 and DX10?

eso76

quick question:

i had just completed a mission, Joseph (or whatever his name is) calls me and tells me he needs my help, because our place is under attack.
I rush to help, when i arrive someone hits me and i'm on the ground, flora comes to rescue, but friggin malaria then instantly puts me to the ground again, and surprise, i'm out of pills.
I wake up in a church, in Pala, and i'm told to bring some document to some guy who can provide more pills.
I believe this is bound to happen at some point, because it apparently unlocks another set of missions, but what do you guys think happened to Joseph ?
Should i go back to some previous savestate, and try and get to Joseph in time or this was going to happen anyway ?

I actually tried once, but took too long to get there and passed out because of malaria again.
Tried again and got killed along the way, flora rescued me again but as soon as she injected me malaria put me back to sleep.

Ledsen

eso76 said:
quick question:

i had just completed a mission, Joseph (or whatever his name is) calls me and tells me he needs my help, because our place is under attack.
I rush to help, when i arrive someone hits me and i'm on the ground, flora comes to rescue, but friggin malaria then instantly puts me to the ground again, and surprise, i'm out of pills.
I wake up in a church, in Pala, and i'm told to bring some document to some guy who can provide more pills.
I believe this is bound to happen at some point, because it apparently unlocks another set of missions, but what do you guys think happened to Joseph ?
Should i go back to some previous savestate, and try and get to Joseph in time or this was going to happen anyway ?

I actually tried once, but took too long to get there and passed out because of malaria again.
Tried again and got killed along the way, flora rescued me again but as soon as she injected me malaria put me back to sleep.

Press start, look under "buddies" and see what it says about him. If he's dead, no biggie, you'll get a new buddie :lol

JSnake

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This may have already been posted, sorry if so. You can change the style of your machete by editing gamerprofile.xml in your Farcry 2 directory and setting the machete line to either 0, 1, or 2.

KrawlMan

Holy hell I fuckin love this game :D The beginning was a little rough, but the more you play the better and more engrossing it gets.

chespace

Just for the hell of it, I decided to try playing FC2 with just 1 core on my 4870x2.

:lol No thanks. With my CPU OC'ed at 3.6GHz and everything set to ultra high in DX10 at 1920x1200, I was getting between 25-30 fps. Certainly playable but it was giving me a headache after awhile.

Bumped it back up to running on 2 cores and I'm at 55-60fps most of the time with dips to the mid 40's when huge explosions and fires occupy my screen. :D

Zzoram

chespace said:
Just for the hell of it, I decided to try playing FC2 with just 1 core on my 4870x2.

:lol No thanks. With my CPU OC'ed at 3.6GHz and everything set to ultra high in DX10 at 1920x1200, I was getting between 25-30 fps. Certainly playable but it was giving me a headache after awhile.

Bumped it back up to running on 2 cores and I'm at 55-60fps most of the time with dips to the mid 40's when huge explosions and fires occupy my screen. :D

It's good that this nVidia logo game didn't cripple crossfire like some others (cough) Crysis (cough).

chespace

Zzoram said:
It's good that this nVidia logo game didn't cripple crossfire like some others (cough) Crysis (cough).

I don't see an Nvidia logo when the game boots up. Are you talking about retail packaging?

And yeah, real shame about Crysis.

On a sour note, I purchased ArmA yesterday from Steam for 30 bucks and only after I downloaded it did I find out that the game has problems running on Vista with anything more than 3 gigs of RAM and a shitload of other issues.

Argh, Bohemia Interactive, I think we're through. Too bad.

Zzoram

chespace said:
I don't see an Nvidia logo when the game boots up. Are you talking about retail packaging?

And yeah, real shame about Crysis.

On a sour note, I purchased ArmA yesterday from Steam for 30 bucks and only after I downloaded it did I find out that the game has problems running on Vista with anything more than 3 gigs of RAM and a shitload of other issues.

Argh, Bohemia Interactive, I think we're through. Too bad.

I always read the Steam forum for the game before I buy it, if it's older, to see how it runs on Vista.

Haunted said:
I agree that the AI is shit. I still like the game. :)

Noooo Josip! ;_;
Josip died for me today too. :'(

I was down to one syrett already when he came to save my ass and I used it after I got back up then he went down and after I finished the last guy there was nothing I could do. I could only make it quick and painless. RIP Josip.

Zzoram

JSnake said:
Any more advice?

I think people aren't comparing specs and benchmarks properly, or are exaggerating.

I have an E8400 with HD4870, 4GB DDR2 RAM:

1680x1050
Very High overall
2xAA
Vsync
DX10 Vista 64 SP1

47fps avg

I found setting the ~4 things that can go higher to Ultra High really KILLS performance. Well, textures only takes off like ~2-3fps, but with everything maxed (some max at high, very high, or ultra high) then I get like ~20something fps avg.

Don't use Ultra High if you're unhappy, but ~40fps avg is usually pretty smooth.

Ledsen

So I just reached Act 2. Fuck, I can't believe there's ANOTHER map as big as the first one, if the game had ended now I would've been fully satisfied. Also, it's SO SO awesome that there's an area in the second map called
Heart of Darkness
:D

And BTW, who is Josip? I don't have him in my game but it sounds like he's everyone's favourite buddy :lol

Zzoram

Ledsen said:
So I just reached Act 2. Fuck, I can't believe there's ANOTHER map as big as the first one, if the game had ended now I would've been fully satisfied. Also, it's SO SO awesome that there's an area in the second map called
Heart of Darkness
:D

And BTW, who is Josip? I don't have him in my game but it sounds like he's everyone's favourite buddy :lol

Your buddies show up in different order, depending upon who you picked to be, I think.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JSnake said:
Any more advice?

Be content with 40fps :lol
You can keep the voltage the same and try to OC further, but you only have 667 RAM. So you'd be overclocking them too.

Why don't you reduce your OC and see how much of an impact it makes? e.g. 3.2 -> 2.8 (At your res you are almost all CPU limited so the decrease should equal the increase if you went from 3.2 to 3.6)

Not really sure here. Remember that these are better judged in relation to each other since everyone's rig is different.

I'll be trying FC2 shortly. :D

Zzoram

I honestly think a lot of people make up their framerates. They find the game running smooth, and they'll annoucnce "zomg I get like 60fps avg yeah!" without doing proper benchmarking. We already know that game reviewers have a tendency to say things like that, without checking the facts.

Anything 40+fps avg for a first person shooter is generally good. Crysis seems to be good at like 30fps avg, due to motion blur and the great cursor and gunplay.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
I honestly think a lot of people make up their framerates. They find the game running smooth, and they'll annoucnce "zomg I get like 60fps avg yeah!" without doing proper benchmarking. We already know that game reviewers have a tendency to say things like that, without checking the facts.

Anything 40+fps avg for a first person shooter is generally good. Crysis seems to be good at like 30fps avg, due to motion blur and the great cursor and gunplay.

It's Guru3D. Or who are you talking about? The game has an ingame benchmarking utility.

35fps in Crysis = 50 fps in other games. So awesome.

Top Bottom