• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
It's Guru3D. Or who are you talking about? The game has an ingame benchmarking utility.

35fps in Crysis = 50 fps in other games. So awesome.

We don't get detailed settings information from the Guru3D bench marks. Judging from the numbers, it's probably set to Very High with 0xAA.

Bought this game played it for a while and then returned it. How can something so polished have so many HORRIBLE design decisions?

ugh.

cameltoe

Zzoram said:
We don't get detailed settings information from the Guru3D bench marks. Judging from the numbers, it's probably set to Very High with 0xAA.

they gave the info. all was very high with 4xaa..physics was set to medium, i guess that setting uses the cpu instead of the gpu for physics.

I ran the bench with those settings at 1920x1080...23fps avg. (q6600 8800gt)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/far-cry-2-pc-vga-graphics-performance-review/2

MacBosse said:
For how long did you play it?

to be honest 2 or 3 hours max.

AI was pretty horrible either they saw me from miles away some how or they didnt notice me shooting them while standing next to them.

all the battles sort of played out the same way. driving and getting ambushed just wasnt fun because the AI was pretty crap.

I mean i can see the game being a nice bargain game but it does not deserve my $60 considering the competition.

I did like the intro and the world design tho.

Oh why would the devs think Malaria is fun?

Ledsen

Has anoyone done the Gamespot exclusive missions? I don't know if there's a difference, but I'm playing on 360 and the unlock code is Ne6w4FRU. All I get is some crappy letter icon appearing on my map, I go there, pick up a piece of paper, mission done. wtf?

Kabuki Waq said:
to be honest 2 or 3 hours max.

AI was pretty horrible either they saw me from miles away some how or they didnt notice me shooting them while standing next to them.

driving and getting ambushed just wasnt fun because the AI was pretty crap.

I mean i can see the game being a nice bargain game but it does not deserve my $60 considering the competition.

I did like the intro and the world design tho.

Oh why would the devs think Malaria is fun?

Play more. Everyone agrees that the game is pretty bad at first but gets sooooooo much better the more you play. It's a GOTY candidate for me, can't get enough of it. About 40% completion and 15 hours in, I would rate it a strong 9/10 so far. The malaria is a non-issue since you get fewer and fewer attacks the further you get in the game. I ran out of pills only once and now I hardly have any attacks at all. Also the battles are as varied as you make them, when you start unlocking tons of different weapons and upgrades a few hours in you can approach each combat situation in like 4-5 different ways. It's a sandbox shooter basically, and the battles become totally awesome when you can plan your missions carefully and develop tactics, getting better and better the more you play.

My favourite tactic right now is picking off dudes with the silenced sniper rifle (Dart Gun), sneaking in sporting my silenced MP5, closing in as fast as possible on my objective while avoiding being spotted. Once I've accomplished my goal I get the fuck out of there as fast as possible, running out the same way I came in, jumping in my conveniently parked vehicle and stepping on the gas. Vroom motherfuckers!

Anyone else think that this is the game Breakdown for Xbox should've been? At least in terms of the first-person execution. I keep being reminded of those initial awesome Breakdown trailers with the character's hands showing and the whole looking through the eyes of your character thing. Especially during the buddy-rescue and mercy-kill scenes.

KrawlMan

Some areas are just so damn nice looking. I find myself taking screens almost everywhere I go :p Heres another batch, hope you enjoy em.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13-2.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

7.jpg

newsguy

So my buddy is about 12 hours in and I played his copy today. He's playing on easy so I am guessing it has alot to do with it, but I loved the stealth aspect. He already bought the camo gear and he has a sniper rifle. I went to a mission at a heavily guarded camp at night and pretty much picked off most of the guys without them ever knowing where I was. It was pretty awesome. I would kill a guy, his partner would run near a barrel, I would blow him up and so on. Also graphically (he has the PS3 version) it's pretty impressive. Lighting during sunset is really nice in heavy forest.

NIN90

Ok, I got the PS3 version.
I played about half an hour today and I'm not very impressed so far. But hearing that it picks up later motivates me to put more hours into this game.

And anybody else having a really weird sensitivity ingame?
It's like two seperate sensitivities at the same time depending on how far you move the stick. Doesn't control well at all.

painey

I played the 360 version for half an hour and its pretty unimpressive. Graphically it looks very dull, worse than CoD when I was expecting Crysis quality.. I guess the PC versions look better. Theres no save anywhere, the sensitivity is weird even when adjusted and worst of all is the voice acting that has absolutely no pauses at the end of sentences. I hope it gets better further on.

painey said:
I played the 360 version for half an hour and its pretty unimpressive. Graphically it looks very dull, worse than CoD when I was expecting Crysis quality.. I guess the PC versions look better. Theres no save anywhere, the sensitivity is weird even when adjusted and worst of all is the voice acting that has absolutely no pauses at the end of sentences. I hope it gets better further on.
Uh yes there is

dhelfric said:
Ok, I got the PS3 version.
I played about half an hour today and I'm not very impressed so far. But hearing that it picks up later motivates me to put more hours into this game.

And anybody else having a really weird sensitivity ingame?
It's like two seperate sensitivities at the same time depending on how far you move the stick. Doesn't control well at all.

I felt like that in the first jeep ride, but didn't have any problems afterwards.

So what characters are you guys playing as? Most of the scree shots look like Marty.
I'm playing as Warren Clyde.

KrawlMan

tahrikmili said:
^

What the hell is wrong with your aspect ratio?..

I just realized, when I use the FOV Tool and take a screen shot, for some reason its not including the vertical extension, only the horizontal. As a result the screenshots that come out are actually stretched vertically :-/ that sucks.

Insane Metal said:
Uh yes there is

Only the PC has the "save anywhere" feature.

Nikorasu

painey said:

:lol

eso76

wow, game has its share of fuckawesome moments.

wish i had more time to spend on the editor, and graphics are simply unbelievable at times. No other console game attempts at recreating anything nearly as complex.

I've been purposely taking back routes and sneak paths on the way to and from missions. I've seen so many cool little oasis points and found a few of the tapes and a whole load of diamonds. Some places have high hides for excellent snipe positions as well.

Favorite mission so far is taking out the gas train car in the train yard. Got up high and sniped the hell out of the place and setting it on fire by hitting the yellow barrels and molotoving it from height. There were at least 20 enemies in there and I think I got less than half from above so there were some really close quarter stuff amidst the flames.

When missions are setup around the outskirts of the map from Pala I always bus there. I still haven't been picked off by the AI unless I've made a big noise to deserve it. If they can see you, you can see them so the turn around is fair.

okrim

Banned
Forgive me but I can't resist, some post of graphic impressions are really ...annoying! 720p native, fps almost perfect (ok 30 fps, ok), 50 km areas, physics of object and environment and it isn't so impressive ?! Not so good? WHAT?! REALLY?! Meh...what's your problem ?

dk_

painey said:
Joke post?

okrim said:
Forgive me but I can't resist, some post of graphic impressions are really ...annoying! 720p native, fps almost perfect (ok 30 fps, ok), 50 km areas, physics of object and environment and it isn't so impressive ?! Not so good? WHAT?! REALLY?! Meh...what's your problem ?
there are certain times of the day when the lighting looks a little flat... but those are rare and of course don't matter at all. the game looks great by any measure. my guess is the people who are complaining are trolls.

Zeliard

painey said:

You were expecting Crysis quality? On a console? Have you ever even played Crysis? :lol

okrim said:

Well some people were hyping the graphics too much, bound to be disappointments by those who believed that shit.

Graphics are impressive enough, optimization of the engine even more so. The game itself looks kind of bland though, that can be confused a bad graphics I guess.

I had a really great clear night on one mission where the moon and stars were out and all the environment was casting shadows. Some of the huts had their exterior lights on, casting shadows down the side of the buildings as well. It looked really really good.

The lighting will flatten out when the clouds come in and the direct shadows go away. Just a side effect of the way you have to do real time lighting if you don't have the luxury and GPU bandwidth of screen space ambient occlusion.

Surfheart

I'm loving this game. Took a couple of hours to start enjoying it but now I can't put it down.

Looks and runs really nice on the 360 as well. For whatever reason the screens in this thread never do it justice. It looks so much better when you are playing it. I love the way they did the fire and other environmental effects.

The gunplay has really grown on me too. Maybe because my weapons are so much better than what they were at the start.

Lebron

Zeliard said:
You were expecting Crysis quality? On a console? Have you ever even played Crysis? :lol
Clearly he hasn't:lol

also, that cameo pak is garbage. If I wasn't getting 30 diamonds a mission, I would be pretty pissed I wasted 45(or 40?) diamonds on that useless POS.

Zzoram

This game is most certainly not a GOTY candidate. Games that are awful for the first few hours are automatically disqualified, because the majority of people will be so turned off that they'll stop playing, unless they feel somehow obligated to keep going.

Lebron said:
also, that cameo pak is garbage. If I wasn't getting 30 diamonds a mission, I would be pretty pissed I wasted 45(or 40?) diamonds on that useless POS.

Yeah sneaking is broken as is the AI. Sometimes I can walk right into a camp and shoot people point blank without them reacting and sometimes they shoot me from miles away. When doing my last mission one guy had got stuck between a barrel and a wall making him almost invisible and being able to shoot in any direction as he clipped through the objects. Good work Ubi.

Zzoran said:
This game is most certainly not a GOTY candidate. Games that are awful for the first few hours are automatically disqualified, because the majority of people will be so turned off that they'll stop playing, unless they feel somehow obligated to keep going.

And the awful parts don't really stop either. People just get used to them. Just as I did when I played AC, turned a blind eye to it's faults. Can't do it after that though.

I don't get what made the first hour or two so terrible. Sure I timed the first hour but it felt like it went by in fifteen minutes. The second hour I was getting my bearings and marvelling at the world during the day.

There hasn't been a pacing problem in the game for me. I like how deliberate things are revealed to the player. Just when I think the game is about to plateau something new comes my way or I unlock a new weapon.

What version are you guys playing with the fucked AI issue?

Spoilers re: third buddy mission.

So I've heard your buddy dies here. Mine didn't. It was me and Josip taking down Occidental Growers... I blow up the place, he sprays it from above in a plane. His plane goes down, he asks for help, I'm too busy trotting around picking up ammo and diamonds. When I finally wander over there I get an instant 'Mission Complete', and find Josip happily reloading a shotgun, unscathed, with no enemies in sight.

?

Zeliard

jakershaker said:
And the awful parts don't really stop either. People just get used to them.

Wrong. The gunplay improves a lot once you start unlocking better weapons. The game gets more interesting the more you get into it and adapt to what works, and what doesn't. The buddy system is very cool and improves as the game goes on. This isn't even close to Assassin's Creed, where literally nothing changed for the entirety of it. The comparisons are baffling.

Lebron

jakershaker said:
Yeah sneaking is broken as is the AI. Sometimes I can walk right into a camp and shoot people point blank without them reacting and sometimes they shoot me from miles away. When doing my last mission one guy had got stuck between a barrel and a wall making him almost invisible and being able to shoot in any direction as he clipped through the objects. Good work Ubi.
Yeah, it indeed is. For some reason, a lot of the firefights I got into recently have been weird as hell. Let's say I'm coming straight at a guy firing, he'll be shooting off to his right(normally) or left, yet somehow the bullets will be hitting me dead on. It's like something straight out of Wanted:lol

Granted it's not as frustrating as AC. It's still one of the best FPS I've played this year, despite the bugs.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Wrong. The gunplay improves a lot once you start unlocking better weapons. The game gets more interesting the more you get into it and adapt to what works, and what doesn't. The buddy system is very cool and improves as the game goes on. This isn't even close to Assassin's Creed, where literally nothing changed for the entirety of it. The comparisons are baffling.

It's better than Assassin's Creed, but still not the best game this year. I am enjoying Fable 2 waaay more, but I doubt that's GOTY either. I'm hoping Fallout 3 will be good enough to take the crown.

Zeliard

Lebron said:
Yeah, it indeed is. For some reason, a lot of the firefights I got into recently have been weird as hell. Let's say I'm coming straight at a guy firing, he'll be shooting off to his right(normally) or left, yet somehow the bullets will be hitting me dead on. It's like something straight out of Wanted:lol

Granted it's not as frustrating as AC. It's still one of the best FPS I've played this year, despite the bugs.

The A.I. does have some problems. Shit needs to get patched ASAP, if it can.

One time, a guy was facing the opposite direction from me in a gunfight and I was like "what the fuck", since he had definitely heard me. I come up behind him, and all of a sudden, he starts shooting in front of him and the bullets somehow go 180 and start hitting me.

Still, they do neat things sometimes and seem to be especially good at taking cover and hiding from you, at least most of the time. Sometimes they'll stand there like idiots, but most of the time they'll run off to the side and get behind something.

Zzoram said:
It's better than Assassin's Creed, but still not the best game this year.

Never said it was. But I like it a lot. The more I play it, the more it grows on me.

Zeliard said:

What? The weapon part is true, you get to snipe people wohooo.

But the rest of the shit just keeps coming. Checkpoints, padded gameplay, stupid additions, crap AI, repairing cars, lack of real story just a collection of GTA style missions, everything is sooo repetitive, traveling is a pain.

Some of the missions described in this thread as WOW moments was 10% mission gameplay and 90% traveling to get there.

And design wise the game is really close to AC. There is no real difference in what you do. Arms dealer is the same all the time. Radio towers is the same all the time. Main mission aren't that different either.

Story -> Buddy says something else -> Destroy/kill/get something -> Buddy in trouble -> Mission completed

I haven't finished it yet but something tells me it will be the same all the way to the end. This game has some good moment but all the shit needs to get patched, I don't have much faith in Ubi though.

Ledsen

Zzoram said:

Errr... you're not making any sense. If I enjoy a game enough to name it my GOTY candidate, then it is. It has nothing to do with "the majority of people". Or what are you saying? Are you talking about an award in a specific magazine or something?

jakershaker said:

But the rest of the shit just keeps coming. Checkpoints, padded gameplay, stupid additions, crap AI, repairing cars, lack of real story just a collection of GTA style missions, everything is sooo repetitive, traveling is a pain.

Some of the missions described in this thread as WOW moments was 10% mission gameplay and 90% traveling to get there.

And design wise the game is really close to AC. There is no real difference in what you do. Arms dealer is the same all the time. Radio towers is the same all the time. Main mission aren't that different either.

Story -> Buddy says something else -> Destroy/kill/get something -> Buddy in trouble -> Mission completed

I haven't finished it yet but something tells me it will be the same all the way to the end. This game has some good moment but all the shit needs to get patched, I don't have much faith in Ubi though.

As is apparent in this thread, many people like the game more and more as they get further in. So obviously, something changes. It may not be the core gameplay, it could be peoples attitudes towards certain design elements and learning to deal with them effectively (avoiding checkpoints, learning how it is actually possible to sneak etc), but still.

Zeliard

jakershaker said:

People seriously need to stop whining about the traveling. Buses will take you instantly to all four corners of the map, and then you have the streams that criss-cross the center of the map. So you can get wherever you want quickly. If missions for you are "90% traveling", that's really your problem, not the game's. You don't have to drive all the goddamn time, especially when you're also going to whine about the enemy checkpoints.

And as a true sandbox game, it's only as repetitive as you allow it to be. Vary it up. Don't blame the game because you lack imagination and creativity. ;)

The only real issues with the game are the A.I. and the voice acting, and they are pretty big issues, but they aren't game-breaking since it does other things quite well.

Top Bottom