• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Guled said:
how long is the single player? Please tell me its less then 12 hours

Well depending on how you play....yeah I can definitely see a +20 hour experience like the press noted

Remeber to play it small bursts like any other openworld/sandbox game

chubigans said:
I liked the music, but it is indeed so much better when off.

Ditto

Just noticed something interesting, don't know if this is old...

At the very start of the game, when you have to
escape the town
, the exit that you take from the town will determine where you spawn after you recover. Each of these spawn locations features a different faction/handler and starting weapons loadout (
some give you an RPG, some a flamethrower
). This isn't randomised either, each exit will always send you to a specific spawn point.

Also this is what the various character models look like in-game:

MARTY: fingerless gloves, "morte" tattoo on left arm
WARREN: grey glove on right hand only - grey trousers
JOSIP: red kerchief on right wrist - grey trousers
PAUL: blank - grey trousers
QUARBANI: black gloves - fawn trousers
ANDRE: bracelet on left wrist - grey trousers
HAKIM: blank arms - ammo belt across chest, fawn trousers
FRANK: twin metal bracelets on left wrist, twin string bracelets on right wrist, 3 leaf clover tattoos at base of both index fingers - dark trousers
XIANYONG: Dragon tattoos on tops of each forearm, wide metal bracer on right wrist - grey trousers

endlessflood said:
Just noticed something interesting, don't know if this is old...

At the very start of the game, when you have to
escape the town
, the exit that you take from the town will determine where you spawn after you recover. Each of these spawn locations features a different faction/handler and starting weapons loadout (
some give you an RPG, some a flamethrower
). This isn't randomised either, each exit will always send you to a specific spawn point.

Yeah I noticed this as I restarted a few days ago....First time I didn't even make it outta the town and I ended up pairing with the merc with the country accent

2nd time I also almost made it outta the town but didnt quite make it... this time I've paired up with the Russian and the blonde women

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ledsen said:
That does suck. It's about the only real complaint I have, that guards have cybernetic hyper-scope X-ray eyes and magical laser rifles that can hit you from 5 km.
Far Cry 1 did the same thing! Does anyone remember:

I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE
I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE FACEI'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE
I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE FACEI'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE

From like 500 miles away? The very friggen beginning of that game with the boat in that estuary with the bad guys on wooden docks....

God this can't be a hard problem to solve.

IF
Distance > 50 feet
THEN
don't fire
EXCEPT
when bad guy is a sniper

It really can't be that hard. It's so frustrating.

TTG

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah I noticed this as I restarted a few days ago....First time I didn't even make it outta the town and I ended up pairing with the merc with the country accent

2nd time I also almost made it outta the town but didnt quite make it... this time I've paired up with the Russian and the blonde women

Damn, both of those sound great. I got some moron without much of an accent, works for the faction you do the first mission for.

artist

Banned
Barakov said:
I think it was patched for Bioshock awhile back.
newsguy said:
Yes, it was patched. Once you put the game in it will prompt you to download it.

EDIT: beaten.
Thanks guys. :) I bought my copy when it (BioShock) was 50% off on steam and from what I've read it already includes the patch.

I'll probably wait on FC2 it till all these issues are ironed out.

TTG said:
Damn, both of those sound great. I got some moron without much of an accent, works for the faction you do the first mission for.
Which exit you take from the town will actually change which faction you do the first mission for.

I've tried 3 exits so far:
Jump out window, turn right, then turn left = Carbonne (UFLL) + RPG
Jump out window, turn left and head straight = Some russian(?) guy in abattoir (UFLL) + flamethrower
Head down stairs and go kinda straight = Some Texan dude (APR) + RPG

Justin

Guled said:
how long is the single player? Please tell me its less then 12 hours

Here are my stats.

Time Played: 6:44:34
Main Mission Done 8/33
Buddy Missions Done 2/12
Side Missions Done 8/40
Percent Complete 20%

It is a long game.

flipswitch said:
Anyone else using the camo suit? I'm starting to think it was a waste diamonds.

I just bought it and have yet to test it out properly but I'm already starting to think the same. I think any upgrade or equipment is useless because these guerillas seem to be superhuman and can detect you from miles away AND hit you with shotguns from great distances. Unreal... At this point though, I'm too far past to even want to load up my save prior to buying suit...

Is no one able to raid a camp without being detected or something? I'm able to get right into the center of a compound check my map, do a 360, and still not be detected, and I'm playing on one difficulty level higher than normal.

They don't spot you from a while away at all, not on normal. If you stay in the bushes they don't see you until you open fire, though they will be more alert if they hear something. You can literally be breathing down their necks before they spot you.

Well it's tough at times becuase if you do get spotted, it seems that all of the guards in the area know where you are and start shooting at you.I've been reading things like the silenced weapons are no differnt than the normal weapons, and then I read the opposite.

Does the PC version have an instant save feature, meaning you can save at any time without going to the safe house?

Sandman42

Man this game is intense!

I lost my good buddy Josip today :(

We were in an epic battle, going back to back in a open field, gunning down soldiers left and right. Suddenly Josip went down just as my AK jammed. I quickly switched to my pistol and took out the remaining men, then ran over to my buddy lying on the ground and attempted to help him up. I gave him a shot from my syrette, but he cried out "Another, give me another!", so I grabbed another and jammed it in. By this time I realized he was done for, and the last desperate attempt to revive him failed. RIP Josip.

There's been times where I've snuck around undetected as well. And yes, if you don't open fire then you are undetected, but sniping from any REASONABLE distance is pretty much impossible because they will spot you. And I'm playing on Normal too. I just scouted a guard post and sniped one of the soliders there from more than 1000 feet out and was spotted 1 minute later, I was stationary. I find that to be ridiculous...oh well

VaLiancY

flipswitch said:
Well it's tough at times becuase if you do get spotted, it seems that all of the guards in the area know where you are and start shooting at you.I've been reading things like the silenced weapons are no differnt than the normal weapons, and then I read the opposite.

Does the PC version have an instant save feature, meaning you can save at any time without going to the safe house?

Quick Save? Yea', it should.

Sandman42 said:

We were in an epic battle, going back to back in a open field, gunning down soldiers left and right. Suddenly Josip went down just as my AK jammed. I quickly switched to my pistol and took out the remaining men, then ran over to my buddy lying on the ground and attempted to help him up. I gave him a shot from my syrette, but he cried out "Another, give me another!", so I grabbed another and jammed it in. By this time I realized he was done for, and the last desperate attempt to revive him failed. RIP Josip.

whoa =(

MGHA

This is such an amazing game I love it. I was doing the second mission with the arms dealer. Where you have to blow up a convoy in the jungle. I took a jeep and blocked the road way and got behind a broken down bus that was higher ground. They came and I shot the truck driver first, and switched to my silenced pistol. Took the other four guys out without getting shot at

TTG

So what's the verdict on the camo suit? Is it worth the price? Do you even notice the difference when you purchase it?

TTG said:
So what's the verdict on the camo suit? Is it worth the price? Do you even notice the difference when you purchase it?

Honestly, can't tell the difference. I wouldn't waste your diamonds on it. Get some sweet firearms instead. I'll just say I regret buying it as I've not seen any improvement.

Zeliard

The best way to play stealth is to play at night. Enemy visibility then is decreased hugely.

So is yours of course, but hey, fair's fair. ;)

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
There's been times where I've snuck around undetected as well. And yes, if you don't open fire then you are undetected, but sniping from any REASONABLE distance is pretty much impossible because they will spot you. And I'm playing on Normal too. I just scouted a guard post and sniped one of the soldiers there from more than 1000 feet out and was spotted 1 minute later, I was stationary. I find that to be ridiculous...oh well

Here's a tip. When you notice the enemies running towards your position, throw a molotov or grenade in an empty area next to them. I've been doing this for a while, and they usually get distracted and start freaking out from the fire. It works even better if you hit an exploding barrel, propane tank, or ammo crate. Also, get the bolt rifle, it's silenced.

Man, I just got done doing a perfect stealth mission and the enemies conversations were crazy. One guy was crying "I don't want to die, he's going to kill me, I just want to go home." First time I ever felt sad for killing a normal enemy in a game.

I caved in and got it..

Runs at a near solid 30fps at Ultra High settings, 2xMSAA and 1400x900 resolution on my OC'ed HD3850/5400+ system (DX9). Impressive.

eso76

Tkawsome said:
Man, I just got done doing a perfect stealth mission and the enemies conversations were crazy. One guy was crying "I don't want to die, he's going to kill me, I just want to go home." First time I ever felt sad for killing a normal enemy in a game.

yeah, dialogues can be pretty interesting
"let's go look for him !"
"but..that would mean leaving our position.."
"right let's call for reinforcements then"

"ok, you go that way let's try and flank him.."
"but what if he does flank us ?"

But i haven't had the chance to see if conversations actually reflect their behaviour ingame.

Also, enemy jeeps definately do not spawn near you. I was on the top of a hill yesterday and heard a jeep coming towards me from afar, looked around a bit and saw the clouds of dust it was kicking up, then proceeded to hide behind a rock. When it passed i noticed it's right door was missing and thought wtf, waited for things to get cool again, got out of my hiding place and started walking towards my objective, along the same road the jeep came from...
couple minutes later i come across a dead zebra AND a jeep's front right door both lying in the middle of the road : ) Awesome.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I started out buying the Camo Suit, Silenced MP5, Silenced Makarov, and Dart Gun. It was fun, but slow and occasionally tedious. Now I've switched my Makarov for an M79, and my Dart Gun for the flamethrower; best decision I've ever made in a game. It's hilarious to start off a fight with the M79 and then sneak around and barbecue folks one by one. Every fight is a laugh-fest for me now. And those patrol jeeps? I just hop out of my vehicle, pop off an M79 shot and resume driving... unless I blow up my car. :lol

I know a lot of folks aren't too happy with the game, but this is my current GotY.

Che: I think the Camo Suit helps you hide better in grass (that's what its description says too), but the 45 diamonds are probably better spent on weapons or other upgrades early on.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stealth is pointless given how insane the mounted machine gun is on the jeeps. I just pull up, switch to the turret and hose everyone down as they rush at me one at a time. It's making the game stupidly easy though so I might start switching it up.

Sinatar said:
Stealth is pointless given how insane the mounted machine gun is on the jeeps. I just pull up, switch to the turret and hose everyone down as they rush at me one at a time. It's making the game stupidly easy though so I might start switching it up.

I thought everyone was already doing this to an extent....I know I was....but they can still overwhelm you pretty quickly so you can't rely on it

TTG

"stealth" gameplay for me is sneaking up to a camp, throwing a molotov or a grenade at their jeep(so they have no way of getting into that shit :lol ) then flanking them. After that, you just gotta make sure you're never in one place for too long and you're never in the open.

I'll give sniping another chance tomorrow...

Zzoram said:
That is still spawning, it's just not as blatantly awful. I think Oblivion had the right idea with an open world, sparsely populated with pockets of enemies that only respawn after 3 in-game days, which worked out to be several hours of real time.
It seems like it would be really easy to please a lot of players out there by patching in a system like this, and making it transparent: once you clear out a checkpoint you have a few hours of game time before it is restocked with enemies.

Haunted

I agree that the AI is shit. I still like the game. :)

Sandman42 said:

Noooo Josip! ;_;

Yeah, the game should last a good 30hrs, or probably more.Currently I'm 20% in and played 12hrs.I'm being more stealthy now.

Done a mission where I tried to be un-detected as much as possible and I must say it was pretty fun.I had to cross a river, enemy checkpoint and proceed to the junk yard to blow up something.I got caught when I reached the junk yard but I still managed to lose them a few times.

I love the explosions, how everything or most things destruct, and the ammount of things breakable in the game.I've bought a few more weapons, including the stealth pistol which I still havn't used.
I would say this game is a solid 8.

Enemy chatter is fun to listen to, it doesn't sound like your typical chatter you hear in most games.

Flunkie

Banned
Loading an empty clip.. hmm.. :D

Screenshot0007.jpg

flipswitch said:
Enemy chatter is fun to listen to, it doesn't sound like your typical chatter you hear in most games.

Yep...definitely love the variety of accents you hear amongs the enemies as well...like a guy with a south african accent speaking english, then eventually speaking south african

Flunkie

Banned
flipswitch said:
Yeah, I sneaked up on some guys sitting down playing cards, and they were talking about doing this "internet thing," which one guy was trying to convince the other to "get into." :lol

Lebron

I love my Desert Eagle. It normally only takes 1 or 2 shots to down most my targets, but there's always those times when it'll take a few shots to down someone--which shouldn't happen if you're sporting an Eagle.

Also, good god the AS50 sniper is loud:)lol ). I swear, all of Africa can hear when I headshot some poor unsuspecting guy.

Today I realised that the train or is it bus? is for travelling to differnt parts of the map.I thought those maps where complete different areas!

I've become some sort of stealth pyromaniac. While complexes are burning down (molotovs) I crouch around everywhere with a silenced pistol picking off the runners.

I also managed to take out an assault jeep that was driving right at me earlier with just 2 pistol shots; one to the head of the driver, one to the head of the gunner. Man did I feel badass.

Then I put their jeep across the road, set it on fire, and hid in some nearby bushes waiting for any other jeeps to run into my improvised roadblock - all for a nice rocket to the hood. Might have to save that technique for Arms dealer missions.

g23

European pre-madonna
I love how this game makes you care for your buddies! That indian dude and me are just a badass combo!

itxaka

Defeatist
okay, so after a bit of playing with this game I retract of everything I said.

I think that this is a survival game more than anything else and should be approached at like that. Stealth in the first missions is a must, no way of going gun blazing at anything without dying.

I still don't like the malaria thing and the saving method, but I can cope with that.

Also, as Che said, boat travels are safer and awesome.

I love from Ubi to patch the game to include 2 things. Look at the watch and the possibility of sleeping/waiting in the wild. Some of the missions are best done at nigth, but to wait for it you gotta go to a safehouse and sleep. Much better if you could approach your target, take a look at it and the camp somewhere near (not too near of course) to wait for the nigth to execute your plan.

Probably will be included on PC with a mod or something :)

Ledsen

Noooooooo! Warren, you were a cocky bastard, but I'll miss you and your red bandana. At least you got to go on three syrettes of morphine. RIP :(

Top Bottom