• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Sectus

I'd just like to say this is the bestestestestestestestestestest game I've played in a long time. Played around 20 hours so far and I'm still having a ton of fun.

I've had a few missions where I was told to do one thing, buddy says they have intel for me, I go to buddy, main mission gets a side story, do one part of the side story to get a better line on the main mission, do the main mission, then have to do a wrap up. There is variation that appears but only after the first few regular missions.

As far as travel time is concerned, I like picking my path unless it is all the way across the map and then I bus it. I really enjoy setting myself up in just the right spot to take on the mission. In fact I pretty well have to because I'm playing on the difficulty higher than normal and it is really easy to die if I do something wrong or stupid.

In addition to the travel time, I make it interesting for myself by taking paths I have never taken before and in doing so opening up other safe houses, finding diamonds, tapes, underground encampments, other buildings, accident victims, etc. It is fun simply exploring the map and discovering the world. If the game's combat, walking, driving etc wasn't up to the task making that a chore I wouldn't be doing it.

I like having to repair cars when they have taken hits. I like the malaria as a ticking time bomb you have to manage.

What kind of patch are people expecting anyway? Working out AI kinks like them walking backward or standing for a second after being shot possibly, but game structure isn't going to change.

jakershaker said:
Me too, not because it was any better really but the setting is far superior and interesting.
Really? I think both settings are superb, and suprisingly underused for the possiblities they offer. As for gameplay, FC2 is infinitely more entertaining that AC, though they both share the annoying "ride horse/drive car across map to point x, complete objective, ride/drive all the way back" mechanic.
Speaking of annoying drives, how soon can I expect the hanglider, and does it make travelling much quicker/easier?

Ledsen

Zeliard said:
People seriously need to stop whining about the traveling. Buses will take you instantly to all four corners of the map, and then you have the streams that criss-cross the center of the map. So you can get wherever you want quickly. If missions for you are "90% traveling", that's really your problem, not the game's. You don't have to drive all the goddamn time, especially when you're also going to whine about the enemy checkpoints.

And as a true sandbox game, it's only as repetitive as you allow it to be. Vary it up. Don't blame the game because you lack imagination and creativity. ;)

The only real issues with the game are the A.I. and the voice acting, and they are pretty big issues, but they aren't game-breaking since it does other things quite well.

This. THIS. It's not repetitive unless you want it to be. And yes, whining about travel times is getting reeeally old. Learn how to travel effectively, use boats and buses, try new routes, and drive past guard posts (yes it's very possible, especially in a buggy or normal car). This is why people need to play longer before they condemn the game.

I also agree about the AI being the biggest problem (I don't care about the voices really). If they just made the enemies less psychic and lengthened respawn times, I would have no complaints whatsoever.

Sectus

Another tip is to increase the difficulty. The game is really challenging on the higher difficulties and that forces you to play better and find more inventive ways to clear out camps.

Yet another tip is to try other weapons. Either pick up weapons from enemies, or use the occasional rare weapon you find in safehouses. Just about all the weapons feel very different but are surprisingly versatile and effective.

Tom Penny

I'm officially pissed. The game hasn't crashed on me since the release date and suddenly now it's crashing on my left and right and i've tried 3 different Nvidia drivers. WTF.

Zzoram

Sectus said:
Another tip is to increase the difficulty. The game is really challenging on the higher difficulties and that forces you to play better and find more inventive ways to clear out camps.

Yet another tip is to try other weapons. Either pick up weapons from enemies, or use the occasional rare weapon you find in safehouses. Just about all the weapons feel very different but are surprisingly versatile and effective.

Actually I'd say a better tip is to reduce the difficulty at first, then creep it up as you get better gear.

There's a few of them around, they're pretty difficult to control, and hard to keep airborne for long.

I found a diamond on a high outcrop by a river and I couldn't work out how to get up there despite circling around for quite a while. I thought to myself: "The only way I could get up there is if I could... fly!" Then I flipped open the map, looked at the contour lines to find a steeper area nearby, noticed that there was a dead end road leading to it, and said: "I wonder..."

Sure enough, when I drive up there there's a hangglider sitting waiting. Great moment.

Shake Appeal said:
There's a few of them around, they're pretty difficult to control, and hard to keep airborne for long.

I found a diamond on a high outcrop by a river and I couldn't work out how to get up there despite circling around for quite a while. I thought to myself: "The only way I could get up there is if I could... fly!" Then I flipped open the map, looked at the contour lines to find a steeper area nearby, noticed that there was a dead end road leading to it, and said: "I wonder..."

Sure enough, when I drive up there there's a hangglider sitting waiting. Great moment.
Ha, neat. Makes me wonder if I missed out on a hanglider earlier, there was a case on top of a buillding and I swear it was impossible to get on the roof, and blowing the building to pieces didn't work either. Guess I should have searched the surroundings instead of resorting to stacking jeeps. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
What's the difference between DX10 an DX9? On Ultra High they both look the same.

Probably some lightning & shadows. Oh and it runs faster. Apparently.

I'll be chugging with 4GB of RAM with 32bit XP (aka 3.25GB) :lol

JBuccCP

Grabbed it today. I've only played about 3 hours or so and am at 10% completion. I'm enjoying it so far, not blown away but it's fun. I haven't been annoyed by all the driving/checkpoints/jeep patrols yet. I guess I might be later on when the missions get harder. I've had some good firefights, but the AI has ruined some others. Sometimes about half the the guys at a camp will know where I'm at and track me wherever I go, but the other half will be completely oblivious and just stand there, even when I'm right in front of them. I do wish there were more animals (and predators), and that your guy walked faster. Christ he's slow.

Multiplayer, well I've only played a few rounds but it kinda sucks. The movement and gunplay are ok for the singleplayer when you're dealing with the AI, but it makes for a clumsy multiplayer experience. The feel of it reminded me most of the America's Army: True Soldiers game, which is not good.

I just had the shit scared out of me by this game. After I swam into a guarded base and blew up my target undetected with an IED I was happily scampering along the far bank when someone started sniping at me. Unfortunately I was in the water looking for diamonds and having a malaria fit at the time, which was disorienting enough. I managed to struggle onto dry land again and dive into cover. Phew. And then a sniper bullet shrieked into the tree beside me. It was like something out of a movie; I was running and hiding, running and hiding, each time thinking I was in cover, and then another shot would come, either wounding me slightly or smacking into nearby terrain. I am ashamed to say I kept running until it stopped, and never did find where he was shooting me from.

Zzoram

MaritalWheat said:
Is there any fix yet for that color problem with the 48XX cards? I'm scared to switch back to DX10.

I only saw it once, I think it only happens during a specific time of day on a specific type of environment. I've played about 3 hours in DX10.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So I saw some screenshots on the last page that had an ACOG scope on an AK47.

Is that an upgrade or what? And can I attach a scope to all ARs? <drool>

Zzoram

chespace said:

You could in Crysis, and that made life so much easier. I hope you can.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hazaro said:
Probably some lightning & shadows. Oh and it runs faster. Apparently.

You know, I've been doing a comparison and I cannot see the difference at all. Since my 9800GX2 has driver issues right now, I've been sticking with DX9 on Ultra High. Looks beautiful.

chespace said:

Pretty sure that isn't an AK47 ....bet it's a Dragonov

Svd_1_russian.jpg

VaLiancY

I want this game now since everyone is posting some good impressions but I meet the exact minimum requirements and I don't want performance to hinder my gameplay in anyway.

And that's a Tabuk rifle in the screenshot, It's a DMR(Designated Marksman Rifle) like the Dragonuv. Which is pretty much a battle rifle with extended range to engage multiple targets(semi-automatic) but not enough range to match the power of a bolt action sniper rifle.

/end gun nut.

TTG

MaritalWheat said:
How soon do you get the hanglider, and can you literally fly across the map with it?

I only know of one location so far. There's a safe house way out to the north. It's shielded by a mountain from one side and is pretty high up, below are some lakes and there's a farm or something nearby. The hang glider spawns right outside the door.

Flunkie

Banned
TTG said:
I only know of one location so far. There's a safe house way out to the north. It's shielded by a mountain from one side and is pretty high up, below are some lakes and there's a farm or something nearby. The hang glider spawns right outside the door.
Note to self: Do this first thing the next time I boot up FC2.

TTG

I'm having a hard time figuring out what side of the fence I'm on as far as the main missions go.

Minor spoilers maybe 8 missions into act 1:

So after doing the first mission with the UFLL(or whatever faction has the african continent behind the sun for a logo) I decided to go to the other side not knowing that I would cut off anymore missions by the first faction. So, finally after doing a bunch of missions for APR the exclamation point reappears on the UFLL. I do the first mission and ofcourse the exclamation point for the APR dissappears as soon as I'm done with that... great. Now the mission with the UFLL is to steal the king's gold that's guarded by APR and my "buddy" is asking that I kill the king. So I'm wondering what the consequences of stealing the gold are and if I should kill the king. Will it permenantly cut me off from anymore APR missions? I'm also pretty tired of doing extra crap for the buddy that basically forces me to do a detour and go saving his dumb ass after the mission is over...

Zeliard

Stoney Mason said:
Those are much better than some of the pics I've seen before on the PC

The game certainly has its moments, graphically. When you sleep in your safehouse and wake up as the sun is rising, and you head out the door and are essentially blinded by the brilliant light emanating from it, it's a pretty amazing experience.

Zzoram

VaLiancY said:
I want this game now since everyone is posting some good impressions but I meet the exact minimum requirements and I don't want performance to hinder my gameplay in anyway.

And that's a Tabuk rifle in the screenshot, It's a DMR(Designated Marksman Rifle) like the Dragonuv. Which is pretty much a battle rifle with extended range to engage multiple targets(semi-automatic) but not enough range to match the power of a bolt action sniper rifle.

/end gun nut.

Minimum specs? Do yourself a favour and pick up a cheapo modern video card, and you'll be super happy.

PCI-Express x16 - HD4670 512mb - $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

AGP x8 - HD3650 512mb - $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102762

AGP cards are scarce so you are paying the same for less performance, but it's a capable gaming card at lower resolutions nonetheless.

KrawlMan

AgentOtaku said:
Pretty sure that isn't an AK47 ....bet it's a Dragonov

Svd_1_russian.jpg

Yeah, its a Dragonov. Using the AS50 now though (love this gun :D)

Again, sorry about the strange vertical stretching of the images i posted. Apparently thats what happens with you take screenshots while using the FOV tool.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
Some people are bad at picking good times to take screenshots.

FC2 is the ultimate "looks much better in motion" game, especially during certain times of the day (not to mention the various weather, essentially impossible to see in screenshots except for rain).

VaLiancY

Zzoram said:
Minimum specs? Do yourself a favour and pick up a cheapo modern video card, and you'll be super happy.

PCI-Express x16 - HD4670 512mb - $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

AGP x8 - HD3650 512mb - $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102762

AGP cards are scarce so you are paying the same for less performance, but it's a capable gaming card at lower resolutions nonetheless.

I'm rocking an AGP card(X1650), DDR RAM on a shitty motherboard. I told myself if I'm replacing the motherboard, I rather well get a new computer. But thank you none the less. I might break and buy it and endure the pain.

Tom Penny

Why is it that the dude in the weapons shop is suddenly never there anymore? I can't unlock any more weapons. Do you have to unlock the rest of the map or something. I don't get it.

Zzoram

Tom Penny said:
Why is it that the dude in the weapons shop is suddenly never there anymore? I can't unlock any more weapons. Do you have to unlock the rest of the map or something. I don't get it.

He only appears when you have no other active missions.

newsguy

Red Blaster said:
Is the PS3 version up-to-snuff? My PC can't even dream of running this and I'm fearful of my 360 biting the dust.

I've been watching my buddy play the PS3 version and it looks surprisingly good.

I've found a few "extra" buddies in the north location at the
lumber yard
and
fishing village
while not on a mission.

Where else are they located in both the north and south locations?

thanks!

burgerdog

Holy shit, so there is another section of the map that's as big as the current one? I thought the game was massive as it is, god damn :lol

Roommate bought this yesterday, I played with it for a good bit, weapons and shooting are kinda borked, movement speed feels like it's just a smidge slower than it should be, the respawn rate for enemies is annoying in a couple spots, AI is really spotty, visuals are in the "adequate" range, thenpcsallseemtotalkinratherinexplicablerunonsentences.

HOWEVER.

I am actually enjoying the game quite a bit, there are a ton of things wrong with it and it all stands out so much more so because I honestly feel that if some things had been changed this could have been on of the best shooters ever. Some of these could potentially be modded in so I hope Ubisoft supports the community the same way Crytek did with the original FarCry.

+ I get to be an Algerian mercenary so it gets automatic awesome points.
I'm a native Algerian

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VictimOfGrief said:
Some of the screenshots sans the FOV hack makes me cry.

Here's just a few quick ones I snapped:

Oh my god.

That literally makes it look 3 times better at least.
Where do I get this magical device?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Game crashed again so I'm here and posting impressions. Thank god for F5.

Really starting to like this game, although I fear the design shortcomings will haunt this title in my mind even after I've finished it. Like Scooter says in the 1up show this week, it does so much right and yet so much wrong it totally baffles the mind. Guess all the focus testing in the world was useless.

Still, the biggest problem being AI and checkpoints can be dealt with in a variety of ways. Most of the time, the AI does play fair if you don't count the fact that they're eagle-eyed shots. It's easy to fool them and I can sneak around fairly competently -- and I haven't even unlocked the camo suit yet. The only way to get stealth kills in this game is to do it with silenced weapons, but I've found that some checkpoints are just as well avoided by sneaking by completely and ditching your vehicle. It can be very intense to trek all the way back to your client after a mission on foot with ammo dwindling.

Playing on the PC, I spam F5 quicksave a lot. It's taken a lot of frustration out of this game and turned it into just a very solid PC shooter. My only regret is that it kind of breaks the game's conceit that you have to save at safe houses -- which of course adds to the suspense of getting back to a safe house so you can heal/save and cycle time. I think I've saved at a safe house probably twice the whole time I've played. No reason to. Which means day light and night life last very very long.

Anyway, I'm still 8% complete since I stopped advancing the story and finished up all cell tower missions and now am on the last Mike's Bar mission. I just bought the Dragunov and a bunch of upgrades to my other weapons and quite like my loadout now. I've got the silent Makarov, the Dragunov, and the PKM as my backup close quarters brawl gun. Guess it's the all-Russian all the time arsenal.

Gonna keep playing. Here are some more screens. This game never ceases to amaze visually.

52mjpg.png

fv8e4l.png

2vukly0.png

ruwtuq.png

I DID NOT SHOOT THE ANIMAL. IT RAN INTO MY PARKED CAR. Also, no zebras were hurt in the taking of my screenshots.

Wow, one of the most interesting games ive played as a gamer, impressions wise, I started out bleh, now im like best game EVAR. I can not get over the atmosphere. Simply amazing.

Top Bottom