• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Zzoram said:
It gets better with better guns and upgrades to their accuracy.

yeah, I am early on, but so far the guns seem to give the impression of being to light, floaty and a little inaccurate...no aiming reticule is annoying too...I suppose it doesnt help that I am coming off warhead, where the gunplay is damn good

Ledsen

nelsonroyale said:
yeah, I am early on, but so far the guns seem to give the impression of being to light, floaty and a little inaccurate...no aiming reticule is annoying too...I suppose it doesnt help that I am coming off warhead, where the gunplay is damn good

You can toggle it on or off in the options menu.

Ledsen said:
So try a new approach. Try to enjoy the traveling! Look at the beautiful environments, search for diamonds, scout safehouses and guard posts. That's what I do, and I've never been bored while traveling, in fact I enjoy it so much I often ditch my vehicle and head into the jungle on foot to find new paths I haven't used before. Allow yourself to get sidetracked instead of rushing through it to get to the next gunfight. The traveling and sightseeing are a big part of what makes the game so awesome imo. There's no clock counting down the minutes, you can take as much time as you want, and you should.

Well with all the games coming out it's a time issue. And to be honest the game isn't good enough to 'get lost in' sort of speaking. If the world was better (had something to do in it, like open rpgs) then it would have been way more fun to explore.

But if you look at it the way you're doing I can see that the flaws doesn't really matter that much. I want to do the missions and don't get too sidetracked, experience the content they put in the game. For someone like me the frustration isn't far away with all the padding they've put in the game. Hell, some people actually like to go on scavenger hunts for diamonds when it's such blatant achievement driven gameplay.

And as I said, most of the world is practically dead with nothing going on, the only parts that are somewhat alive (outside of missions) are the named places where you can find more enemies and sometimes friends to rescue. The rest is just barren and empty.

Perhaps I was wrong to expect any kind of driven action game. I thought they had learned their lesson from all the complaints about AC. I honestly think open games can be combined with a good flow and narrative for those wanting it to be just that. Oblivion had lots of these moments, the quests actually mattered. I know it's an rpg but still.

I just expected more, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

So try a new approach. Try to enjoy the traveling! Look at the beautiful environments, search for diamonds, scout safehouses and guard posts. That's what I do, and I've never been bored while traveling, in fact I enjoy it so much I often ditch my vehicle and head into the jungle on foot to find new paths I haven't used before. Allow yourself to get sidetracked instead of rushing through it to get to the next gunfight. The traveling and sightseeing are a big part of what makes the game so awesome imo. There's no clock counting down the minutes, you can take as much time as you want, and you should.

This is my approach as well. The only time I'm a bit annoyed by traveling is when you do a mission that is literally on the other side of the map. It's obvious that this was a deliberate way of the dev getting you to see the map as much as possible, but it's still aggravating at times.

When you have a mission and it's on the other side of the map, there's usally a car within walking distance ( they are scattered everywhere) which you can take to the closest bus station.Then just travel to the location closest, find a car or walk the rest! It won't be THAT far were you will turn off the game.

flipswitch said:
When you have a mission and it's on the other side of the map, there's usally a car within walking distance ( they are scattered everywhere) which you can take to the closest bus station.Then just travel to the location closest, find a car or walk the rest! It won't be THAT far were you will turn off the game.
Nah, it's never that far ....especially now since I found the dune buggy, so I just forgo using the bus altogether

Zzoram said:
What does the number beside the diamond on your map mean? It's not how many diamonds you currently have (I can't find a display for that anywhere except the weapons shop), and it's not how many diamonds you have found (since my number went to 13 then back to 12).
It's how many diamonds are available to be found on the currently displayed square of the map. If you fold out the paper map you'll see them all in the top left corner of each area.

KrawlMan

zig said:
(judging by some of the screenshots in this thread some people apparently don't realize they have to do this)

If you are referring to the screenshots I've posted that looks kinda stretched, I already explained myself. In game using the FOV hack everything looks perfect, but for some reason when I take screencaps it gives me vertical stretching (no idea why).

Edit: Seeing as they fixed some bugs on the tool, I downloaded it again to see if I still have a problem with screenshots. I'm no longer getting the problem, but now when I take before and after pics as a comparison using the tool...both images come out the same :-/ I guess thats still better than the vertical stretching I was getting.

KrawlMan said:
If you are referring to the screenshots I've posted that looks kinda stretched, I already explained myself. In game using the FOV hack everything looks perfect, but for some reason when I take screencaps it gives me vertical stretching (no idea why).

Edit: Seeing as they fixed some bugs on the tool, I downloaded it again to see if I still have a problem with screenshots. I'm no longer getting the problem, but now when I take before and after pics as a comparison using the tool...both images come out the same :-/ I guess thats still better than the vertical stretching I was getting.

Download FRAPS and use that to take your screens. ;-)

Nizz

I've noticed that Far Cry 2 is the first fps I'm playing with no reticle and it doesn't bother me in the least. I tried playing with the reticle but that thing's ugly. Plus I don't really need it. This game has really hooked me though. Just love traveling around Africa and discovering parts of the world I hadn't been to yet. Last night I found some old train yard (which wasn't abandoned yet) when I realized where I had to go was all the way on the other side. :D I've also done what others have suggested and turned off the music. It gives the game a more lonely, you're all alone out there vibe. I need to get/upgrade more weapons though. I have the, let me see if I can remember off the top of my head, the GA-437? I also have an AK-47, bolt action Sniper rifle, and the Mac-10 (which I'm loving right now!) After playing the Resistance 2 beta and then going back to this, I actually had to turn the sensitivity up. I turned it two notches up from the default. Feels good. Also been having fun unlocking safehouses all over the map. I can tell this game is going to last me a while...

Zzoram

Shake Appeal said:
It's how many diamonds are available to be found on the currently displayed square of the map. If you fold out the paper map you'll see them all in the top left corner of each area.

Thanks for the info, that's actually helpful!

And ya, once I found out there's a bus stop by Pala, the travel became fine. It's just not marked on the fully zoomed out map that shoes the other bus stops, so I didn't realize it was there.

KrawlMan

VictimOfGrief said:
Download FRAPS and use that to take your screens. ;-)

I've been meaning to do that, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I really loved some of those screenshots I took, but the vertical stretching is really bothersome...almost makes me want to try to grab those screenshots again :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
fps fanatic said:
I've noticed that Far Cry 2 is the first fps I'm playing with no reticle and it doesn't bother me in the least. I tried playing with the reticle but that thing's ugly. Plus I don't really need it. This game has really hooked me though. Just love traveling around Africa and discovering parts of the world I hadn't been to yet. Last night I found some old train yard (which wasn't abandoned yet) when I realized where I had to go was all the way on the other side. :D I've also done what others have suggested and turned off the music. It gives the game a more lonely, you're all alone out there vibe. I need to get/upgrade more weapons though. I have the, let me see if I can remember off the top of my head, the GA-437? I also have an AK-47, bolt action Sniper rifle, and the Mac-10 (which I'm loving right now!) After playing the Resistance 2 beta and then going back to this, I actually had to turn the sensitivity up. I turned it two notches up from the default. Feels good. Also been having fun unlocking safehouses all over the map. I can tell this game is going to last me a while...

Good to see you come around like many of us have in this thread.

A classic case of high expectations, disappointment, and then redemption.

I might actually like FC2 more than Crysis at this point, not sure yet.

Zzoram

chespace said:
Good to see you come around like many of us have in this thread.

A classic case of high expectations, disappointment, and then redemption.

I might actually like FC2 more than Crysis at this point, not sure yet.

The shooting mechanics in Crysis are way better. It's just the open world/mission structure, weapon unlocking and diamond hunt that make it fun. In that regard, it's a totally different game, but where they are the same (gunplay), Crysis wins.

chespace

Zzoram said:
The shooting mechanics in Crysis are way better. It's just the open world/mission structure, weapon unlocking and diamond hunt that make it fun. In that regard, it's a totally different game, but where they are the same (gunplay), Crysis wins.

Yes, the shooting does feel better in Crysis, but they aren't that bad in FC2. Certainly nothing that would knock the score if I were still a reviewer. Especially now that I'm using upgraded weapons and found a loadout I enjoy. BTW, I think the Dragunov is better than the .50 cal sniper rifle. Fires faster, just as accurate with the mod, kills in one-shot and looks better. :p

What Crysis has that's better is graphics (both tech and art) and waaaaay fucking better AI.

But FC2 does that survival vibe that I get from STALKER, as well as ambience, and so for me, those two things really add quite a lot to the proceedings.

Zzoram

Ya, Far Cry 2 is definitely a game you have to warm up to. I like it quite a bit now that I'm settled in.

Fallout 3 should be more fun, since it'll be open world, first person, have RPG elements, and not have patrol jeeps and has fast travel :D

JSnake

So I decided to just forget and stop worrying about my frame rate. Even turned off FRAPS so I could actually, you know, pay attention to the ACTUAL GAME. I honestly think this is the best shooter I've played this year.

Tr4nce

Zzoram said:
Ya, Far Cry 2 is definitely a game you have to warm up to. I like it quite a bit now that I'm settled in.

Fallout 3 should be more fun, since it'll be open world, first person, have RPG elements, and not have patrol jeeps and has fast travel :D

But Fallout 3 has this darkish, depressing post-apocalyptic setting, and FC2, well, it has this lush, summery nature environment :p

Anyway, are there going to be more shooters like this in the future? Is that likely? I enjoy the exploring so much, I haven't even done like 5 main missions yet, and I have this game since wednesday, last week.

Zzoram

JSnake said:
So I decided to just forget and stop worrying about my frame rate. Even turned off FRAPS so I could actually, you know, pay attention to the ACTUAL GAME. I honestly think this is the best shooter I've played this year.

I never play games with FRAPs on. I only benchmark and take screenshots when I first install a game, then leave it off when I play. It's distracting.

What are some of the loadouts you guys use and what do you recommend spending your diamonds on?

Right now I am liking the 1903 scoped rifle, RPG and Mac 10. I've held onto the AS50 semi-auto sniper rifle I got on a mission, but don't have it unlocked to buy yet. Sometimes I will swap out the RPG for flamethrower or PKM. Or the Mac 10 for the flare gun. I am one convoy mission away from unlocking the Dragunov SVD. Seems the best combo is to snipe from a distance, then use the mac 10 to mop up anyone left. The silenced pistol seems to take way to many hits.

Is is worth buying the accuracy upgrades for the guns? I haven't had a problem aiming so far, so not sure I want to spend the diamonds. So far I am just buying cases and guns, and ammo belts.

Flare gun is so much fun, I had shot a guy, he crawled away and was sitting upright against a tree with his pistol out, I fired a flare near him and watched as the flames slowly surrounded and burned him. Muahahaha!

Zzoram

Tr4nce said:
But Fallout 3 has this darkish, depressing post-apocalyptic setting, and FC2, well, it has this lush, summery nature environment :p

Anyway, are there going to be more shooters like this in the future? Is that likely? I enjoy the exploring so much, I haven't even done like 5 main missions yet, and I have this game since wednesday, last week.

STALKER is kind of like this game, but even harder and with more bugs. It's also scary at times.

Zzoram

SuperEnemyCrab said:
What are some of the loadouts you guys use and what do you recommend spending your diamonds on?

Right now I am liking the 1903 scoped rifle, RPG and Mac 10. I've held onto the AS50 semi-auto sniper rifle from I got on a mission, but don't have it unlocked to buy yet. Sometimes I will swap out the RPG for flamethrower or PKM. Or the Mac 10 for the flare gun. I am one convoy mission away from unlocking the Dragunov SVD. Seems the best combo is to snipe from a distance, then use the mac 10 to mop up anyone left. The silenced pistol seems to take way to many hits.

Is is worth buying the accuracy upgrades for the guns? I haven't had a problem aiming so far, so not sure I want to spend the diamonds. So far I am just buying cases and guns, and ammo belts.

Flare gun is so much fun, I had shot a guy, he crawled away and was sitting upright against a tree with his pistol out, I fired a flare near him and watched as the flames slowly surrounded and burned him. Muahahaha!

I think you should only buy accuracy upgrades for your favourite guns if they have low accuracy in the Upgrades stats chart. Otherwise, the ammo upgrades are way more useful.

I like the silenced pistol, very stealthy.

chespace

Where are you seeing these weapons accuracy stats, Zzoram?

And yes, the silenced pistol rules all if you're into sneaking. Obviously, you have to go for headshots or else it takes 3-4 torso shots before you drop someone.

Zzoram

chespace said:
Where are you seeing these weapons accuracy stats, Zzoram?

And yes, the silenced pistol rules all if you're into sneaking. Obviously, you have to go for headshots or else it takes 3-4 torso shots before you drop someone.

Esc -> Upgrades -> double click on a weapon in the list (click on the info panel to make it go away).

It shows a bar graph for damage, accuracy, reliability, firing rate, and something else.

GQman2121

Banned
The game looks amazing if you set the bedtime watch to 5-6 in the morning. Watching the sun rise as you drive is really breath taking.

GQman2121 said:
The game looks amazing if you set the bedtime watch to 5-6 in the morning. Watching the sun rise as you drive is really breath taking.

That is my typical alarm clock for skipping night time. The game looks great in the early hours.

Zzoram

The night time lighting is awful. There's no natural moon light, and instead everything is just strangely lit with no light source.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm finding the gunplay better than Crysis. Don't expect a submachine gun to be deadly accurate past 100 yards. Improvements to accuracy really help.

Zzoram said:
STALKER is kind of like this game, but even harder and with more bugs. It's also scary at times.

This game is basically STALKER, with much better presentation, less variety, less originality, less interesting story, and better gunplay.

Tr4nce said:

there will be more crysis games...each level in crysis offers the same level of freedom as in this game....

TheExodu5: really? I honestly find the gunplay significantly worse...but then the gunplay in crysis is the best Ive ever played to be honest...

Zzoram said:
The night time lighting is awful. There's no natural moon light, and instead everything is just strangely lit with no light source.

Depends. On a clear night moonlight will effect the environment. If it is cloudy the moonlight cannot penetrate the clouds so no shadows result.

TheExodu5

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
TheExodu5: really? I honestly find the gunplay significantly worse...but then the gunplay in crysis is the best Ive ever played to be honest...

What do you not like about it? I know people had the same issue as with STALKER, where they were frustrated that their gun wouldn't hit people at 200 yards away. I find FC2's guns to feel very realistic in terms of accuracy and recoil. Don't expect to be headshotting people with an AK47 at over 50 yards away.

Nizz

Zzoram said:
I've done maybe 2-3 missions at night but yeah, I definitely prefer doing missions from 5-6 in the morning till dusk. When that sun starts setting and you see the God rays shining through the trees... really nice! I'm pretty impressed with this game's graphics on PS3. There are times with the lighting during the day, especially at about the 2-3 o'clock hours when the sun is really high, that look pretty impressive. I also like that the vegetation bends and folds as I'm walking past it. Pretty cool. I'm so used to static vegetation in games that it's a nice little touch when I walk past some thick leaves and they snap back after I walk past them. I wonder if anyone else playing this on PS3 (or 360) finding it more rewarding finding the diamonds then unlocking trophies/achievements?

madmook

Hey fps fanatic, since you're playing the PS3 version like me, got a quick question for ya:

Is your gameplay window like "extra" widescreen? Like there's black bars on the top and bottom, kinda like watching a 1.85 or 2.4 movie on a 16:9 (1.78) screen. I'm using a HDMI connection @ 720p, and the main menus and loading screens use the whole screen, but as soon as I'm in the game, there's black bars on the top and bottom.

I wonder if this is a bug, or if the game is purposely rendering at a lower resolution to help the framerate.

Either way, I want Ubi to fix this shit, as well as the zoomed in fov.

Nizz

madmook said:
Hey fps fanatic, since you're playing the PS3 version like me, got a quick question for ya:

Is your gameplay window like "extra" widescreen? Like there's black bars on the top and bottom, kinda like watching a 1.85 or 2.4 movie on a 16:9 (1.78) screen. I'm using a HDMI connection @ 720p, and the main menus and loading screens use the whole screen, but as soon as I'm in the game, there's black bars on the top and bottom.

I wonder if this is a bug, or if the game is purposely rendering at a lower resolution to help the framerate.

Either way, I want Ubi to fix this shit, as well as the zoomed in fov.
Nah, I don't have the black bars during gameplay. Then again, my setup is different than yours. I'm playing on a CRT hdtv that does 1080i. I have the PS3 connected through an HDMI to DVI cable to the set. And I have the PS3 set to 720p. Maybe the tv's overscanning the image? I mean, my 16:9 screen is full with the game running. The only game I've ever had weird image problems was Virtua Fighter 5. I can see the image of the fighters and their names on top of the screen, but the "loading" message is completely cut off. But yeah, playing Far Cry 2 I don't have the bars...

TheExodu5 said:
What do you not like about it? I know people had the same issue as with STALKER, where they were frustrated that their gun wouldn't hit people at 200 yards away. I find FC2's guns to feel very realistic in terms of accuracy and recoil. Don't expect to be headshotting people with an AK47 at over 50 yards away.

sluggish, inaccurate and poorly animated compared to crysis

I don't have a problem with the guns themselves, but they need a quick melee or you need to be able to switch guns faster. So many times I want to quick switch to my machete but I am in the middle of reloading or something and it takes forever.

Sectus

SuperEnemyCrab said:

Right now I am liking the 1903 scoped rifle, RPG and Mac 10. I've held onto the AS50 semi-auto sniper rifle I got on a mission, but don't have it unlocked to buy yet. Sometimes I will swap out the RPG for flamethrower or PKM. Or the Mac 10 for the flare gun. I am one convoy mission away from unlocking the Dragunov SVD. Seems the best combo is to snipe from a distance, then use the mac 10 to mop up anyone left. The silenced pistol seems to take way to many hits.

I used a similar loadout as you for a while. Dragunov+RPG+Mac-10. Mac-10 is just awesome for close range encouters, it shoots so fast it doesn't matter it has relatively low damage output. Although with that gun I feel like I run out of ammo just about instantly.

I upgraded that loadout with the AR-16, which is a lot of fun. But in the long run I got the impression it's only extremely good at one specific range. Get closer or further away, and the rifle becomes really hard to use.

Right now I'm using FAL+Dart Rifle+M-79 Grenade launcher.

Dart rifle is godlike. At first I thought it would just stun enemies, but it always kills with one shot. And it's completely silent. It's very easy to clear out camps using only that. Then again, if you clear an entire camp using only that, you've got no ammo left. The grenade launcher is awesome for starting to assault a camp or quickly getting rid of any patrolling vehicles you may see.

There's so many weapons I'd love to use, but it's just so hard to give up other weapons. I tried the MGL-140 grenade launcher, which is probably the most explosive weapon in the game. Really fun... but I'm not too happy about sacrificing a assault rifle or sniper for it.

The silenced pistol only works well if you go for headshots by the way. It's always a one-hit kill that way. If you're not aiming for headshots, you might as well use any other handgun.

Regarding accuracy upgrades. I haven't noticed the actual accuracy becomes better, but they do decrease recoil which is very useful.

Zzoram said:
I think you should only buy accuracy upgrades for your favourite guns if they have low accuracy in the Upgrades stats chart. Otherwise, the ammo upgrades are way more useful.

I like the silenced pistol, very stealthy.
Darnit, I feel like an idiot now. I had been thinking all along that it would be nice to have stats available for the guns, I didn't notice I could select weapons in the upgrade menu to get more info.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I don't have a problem with the guns themselves, but they need a quick melee or you need to be able to switch guns faster. So many times I want to quick switch to my machete but I am in the middle of reloading or something and it takes forever.
You can change guns while reloading. I use melee sometimes when the enemy gets too close and the gun suddenly jams or I need to reload. It's also very effective when you meet a patrol vehicle without a gunner.

TheExodu5 said:
It's a combination of the bad shooting trifecta:

Arbitrarily innacurate gun + bullet sponge enemies + wonky mouse aiming (as a result of poor thumbstick porting)

Each of these individually is not an extreme problem, but when they come together like this it's really annoying. Not to mention the AI, whose shooting does not suffer from these problems.

This doesn't make the game unplayable by any means, at least head shots are as effective as they should be, but it's more like these problems along with a host of other design issues hold this game back from becoming a truly amazing experience.

Justin

So I am at the point where I have to decide between saving
dude at the bar
and saving
dude in the church
. What should I do???

Sectus said:
You can change guns while reloading. I use melee sometimes when the enemy gets too close and the gun suddenly jams or I need to reload. It's also very effective when you meet a patrol vehicle without a gunner.

Really? I am playing it on the 360 and I swear I cannot change weapons during a reload animation, but of course I could be mistaken. Have to check when I get home. Still though it would be nice to have a melee with each weapon instead of having to switch to the machete anyway. Or even some hand-to hand stuff. Sneak up and break a guys neck!

You can change weapons during a reload animation on 360. I do it all the time.

My typical loadout is the Mac 10 (with upgrades), RPG, Dragunov (with upgrades) and extra grenade slot.

The sniper rifle handles everything far enough away, Mac 10 is for close encounters, and RPG for causing a stir.

madmook said:
What the fuck is this shit!?!?! I'll get a pic later to show what I mean.

I'm playing on 360 and get small black bars on the top and bottom. Playing 720p widescreen.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Really? I am playing it on the 360 and I swear I cannot change weapons during a reload animation, but of course I could be mistaken.

You can.

Ledsen

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Really? I am playing it on the 360 and I swear I cannot change weapons during a reload animation, but of course I could be mistaken. Have to check when I get home. Still though it would be nice to have a melee with each weapon instead of having to switch to the machete anyway. Or even some hand-to hand stuff. Sneak up and break a guys neck!

Yes you can change guns during reload. I'm playing 360 too, and often when I need to switch to machete or something I'm in the middle of a forced reload. I switch, kill the guy, switch back and the reload starts over because it didn't finish last time.

Top Bottom