• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Dibbz

Is it just me or is night time really crappy looking. Everything seems to be self illuminating. It's like they're not affected by the lack of light or anything.

Can someone with PC version take a screenshot in the night so I can compare with what I'm seeing. My brightness levels are way down and I'm hooked up via HDMI (PS3).

TTG

Ledsen said:
How do you mean it "worked"? Do ALL your saves work now? For me, some saves I make still work, so if you only tried saving a couple of time and it worked, chances are it'll fuck up again >_<

Yes, I tried saving about 10 times(just to make sure :lol ) and they all worked. All I did was load up a good save from the mission before the corrupt save, did some side missions then tried it again.

Dibbz said:
Is it just me or is night time really crappy looking. Everything seems to be self illuminating. It's like they're not affected by the lack of light or anything.

Can someone with PC version take a screenshot in the night so I can compare with what I'm seeing. My brightness levels are way down and I'm hooked up via HDMI (PS3).
I'll try and do that for ya tonight.... what time do you want? 12am-3am time frame?

DangerStepp

Dibbz said:

It's not just you, man. I'm playing on Xbox360 and it's the exact same. I had to tool with the brightness settings as I do in alot of newer games.

It's funny, last time I checked on this thread someone had the same exact complaint. In fact, I couldn't find the moon whenever I looked for it last.

Can someone post some screenies of teh 360 version, plus an overall pros/cons. FC2 is the next game on my list and I wanna make I know as much as I can before I buy it.

Ledsen

TTG said:
Yes, I tried saving about 10 times(just to make sure :lol ) and they all worked. All I did was load up a good save from the mission before the corrupt save, did some side missions then tried it again.

Okay, please update us on your progress and if it happens again or not.

riazor69

Neo Member
sajj316 said:
so from reading a few pages of posts ... no PS3 problems? This game is on my buy list for the holidays.

PS3 version plays solidly, but has an insane amount of screen tearing... easily the worst case of screen tearing I have seen in a PS3 game.

Burger

Had to come in and say this. Put the game on for a bit last night to check it out, and I was blown away.

After the intro and following my little objectives here and there, a bit of text similar to this poped up:

The training sessions are now complete.

A man named The Jackyl is out there somewhere selling arms to the two factions.

Find him, and kill him.

You have no idea how big a grin that simple piece of text put on my face. It was up to me now, I had a clear end goal to achieve, and I am a one man army, bent on finding this man, and killing him in this huge world. Everything action I take will be to further me in my quest to kill the Jackyl.

Amazing.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
It's getting hard for me to get back into this game after playing more of Fallout 3.

Everything here just feels so shallow and inconsequential. Respawning everything, no real character customization... I know it's a totally different genre, but cest la vie.

Rimshot

I am buying a computer, but it will probably be a month or two before I have it completed. But I am really looking forward to this game. Should one get it to the 360 or would waiting and playing it on the pc the best thing i could do? Is there a big difference except the controls?

Dibbz

VictimOfGrief said:
I'll try and do that for ya tonight.... what time do you want? 12am-3am time frame?
Any time between 11-5 really. It all looks the same for me :|

I wish we had config files on the consoles so we could run custom to tweak the game :|

TTG

chespace said:
It's getting hard for me to get back into this game after playing more of Fallout 3.

Everything here just feels so shallow and inconsequential. Respawning everything, no real character customization... I know it's a totally different genre, but cest la vie.

Did you unlock the second half of the map? Just like most long, open world games it really starts to come together in the second half.

I'm still finding this to be a very good game. Hard to put a score on it just yet, but I'm glad I bought it and I'm glad it exists. Generic post apocalyptic gears clone #13 has nothing on this. :D

Fallout will have to wait a bit longer. I'm really hoping it's a change for the better from Oblivion... and Morrowind was one of my favourite games last gen.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
TTG said:
Did you unlock the second half of the map? Just like most long, open world games it really starts to come together in the second half.

I'm still finding this to be a very good game. Hard to put a score on it just yet, but I'm glad I bought it and I'm glad it exists. Generic post apocalyptic gears clone #13 has nothing on this. :D

Fallout will have to wait a bit longer. I'm really hoping it's a change for the better from Oblivion... and Morrowind was one of my favourite games last gen.

Yup, not saying FC2 isn't good, but at this point, I feel almost as if I've seen all the tactical options this game has to offer.

I ended up really hating Oblivion about 15 hours into the game. Combat and repetitive dungeons/areas just killed it for me. So far, Fallout 3 feels really different. Definitely not a generic post apocalyptic gears clone, imo.

I wish this game had co-op.

Many times while scoping out a base I wish I was sniping for someone who was going in, calling out info over the headset. Or driving with a gunner.

Still a great game, though.

Since i'm indulging in wishful thinking, other things I'd like.

* More detailed personal inventory. Allow me to carry as much equipment as I can, but have it weigh me down and limit my movement. Also allow me to store weapons on vehicles.

* More realistic weapons/ammo management. Make ammo cheap but only avaliable in a few locations. Everything else must be scrounged from the field (right now as it stands there is effectively unlimited ammo). It would be very satisfying for me to be able to walk into a safehouse and see AK-47s and other guns i've collected lined up on a gun rack, boxes of ammo, grenades, etc. I guess what I really want is to combine Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 into one game. :)

* Smarter enemies, especially in vehicles. They shouldn't try and ram me when i'm sitting in a turret on the back of a jeep blasting away. I would expect them to park some distance away, or circle me while the gunner sprays me with gunfire.

* Better stealth, I feel like it's too easy to be seen. Maybe a prone stance.

BTW multiplayer is fun. Can always get into a game quickly and they run very smooth, no technical problems at all (360 version). Kinda surprised so few people are talking about it. I can't see myself playing it long term, but it's a nice diversion. You start off a bit weak but once you level up a few times (doesn't take long, just a few games to reach level 4, after that it slows down a bit) you can upgrade one or two of your favorite classes and start to compete on an even footing. The maps are great from what i've played.

-Kh-

Banned
celestial body said:
Just wanted to know if the briefcase ending is any better than taking the dynamite? because that was quite poor.

Dude, I totally agree with you.

What a lame ending. I thought Mirror's Edge ending was bad, but this one is just worst.
It didn't help that I was playing in russian, but still, wtf, they don't tell you much of what happens after that.

And I checked both options since I saved before making a choice

After such a tedious journey, that made me had not fun at all after travelling that annoying jungle, if I should say so, Mercenaries 2 was so much more fun, on a somewhat similar sandbox setting. At least blowing up stuff was better than having to get down the car, or up into the turret to kill the enemies every 300 meters.

JBuccCP

celestial body said:
Just wanted to know if the briefcase ending is any better than taking the dynamite? because that was quite poor.
No.
They don't even show you shooting yourself.

Really, I was quite disappointed with the story. Burger's post a few posts up makes me sad because I too thought the game would actually be about hunting down the Jackal. Choosing the side you best see fit to help you in your goal and slowly gathering intel until you have enough to take him down. As it turns out actually finding the Jackal's whereabouts has little to do with the game. Nope, you just do your missions for nothing but diamonds and the Jackal pops up every once in a while as if you remind you, "Hey I'm still here!", then again at the terrible ending. And instead of being some badass arms dealer he came off as some weird self righteous mercenary saving the innocent Africans while spouting senseless psychobabble.

TTG

chespace said:
Yup, not saying FC2 isn't good, but at this point, I feel almost as if I've seen all the tactical options this game has to offer.

I ended up really hating Oblivion about 15 hours into the game. Combat and repetitive dungeons/areas just killed it for me. So far, Fallout 3 feels really different. Definitely not a generic post apocalyptic gears clone, imo.

The change from Morrowind to Oblivion was a bad one. It cut a lot of the freedom and the depth from the game without improving any of the art/story/gameplay. The story still blows, I'm still fighting fucking skeletons and ghosts and orcs but all the things that made Morrowind amazing were cut to make a more "focused" game... and yea the fucking thing leveled with you. facepalm.gif

If Fallout is just another round of cuts to make a more "focused" experience that isn't really improved over the other Bethesda stuff along with some wonky fps cross genre stuff... I'll rent :lol

TTG

wayward archer said:
* More realistic weapons/ammo management. Make ammo cheap but only avaliable in a few locations. Everything else must be scrounged from the field (right now as it stands there is effectively unlimited ammo). It would be very satisfying for me to be able to walk into a safehouse and see AK-47s and other guns i've collected lined up on a gun rack, boxes of ammo, grenades, etc. I guess what I really want is to combine Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 into one game. :)

I think the way weapons/inventory system has been handled is one of the better design choices I've seen in recent memory.

It allows for a lot of versatility and strategy that just plays in perfectly with the way the action is designed in this game. There are atleast 5 different sets of weapons you can have that will mean completely different play styles and you put these combinations together yourself... find out what works and what doesn't and what you feel like doing at the moment.

Ammo is only unlimited if you're playing on a lower difficulty or you're using the more popular weapons. I'm finding that a lot of times you will come away from a checkpoint with less ammo than when you went in unless there's an ammo stash. There's also crates available for purchase that allow you to store weapons in safe houses and there are probably more safe houses in the game than checkpoints.

Just wait till you unlock some of the more exotic weapon choices. :D

Zeliard

TTG said:
The change from Morrowind to Oblivion was a bad one. It cut a lot of the freedom and the depth from the game without improving any of the art/story/gameplay. The story still blows, I'm still fighting fucking skeletons and ghosts and orcs but all the things that made Morrowind amazing were cut to make a more "focused" game... and yea the fucking thing leveled with you. facepalm.gif

If Fallout is just another round of cuts to make a more "focused" experience that isn't really improved over the other Bethesda stuff along with some wonky fps cross genre stuff... I'll rent :lol

Fallout 3 is an improvement over Oblivion in almost every possible way. I have no love for Oblivion at all and am a huge Fallout 1/2 fanboy, but Fallout 3 is some good shit.

It has its issues and its Oblivionisms, but on the whole, it's a much better game and doesn't really feel like Oblivion to me at all (save for some of the character interactions).

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So, im not really far in but, how come the slaughterhouse's guys are shooting at me? Isnt that where you start the game? I came back 2 missions later, was about to go after a cop and they're shooting me now. Is it because its night time and they cant recognize me? Would be awesome if so :eek:

Ledsen said:
People are saying the load game-freeze bug can happen on PS3 as well. Beware, guys.
There haven't been any reports of the bug affecting the PS3 version at the Ubisoft forums yet so I'm still pretty optimistic. Whereabouts have you seen PS3 issues reported?

TTG

Buggy Loop said:
So, im not really far in but, how come the slaughterhouse's guys are shooting at me? Isnt that where you start the game? I came back 2 missions later, was about to go after a cop and they're shooting me now. Is it because its night time and they cant recognize me? Would be awesome if so :eek:

Everyone will shoot you on sight outside of the main cease fire zones(like pala). :(

Ledsen

endlessflood said:
There haven't been any reports of the bug affecting the PS3 version at the Ubisoft forums yet so I'm still pretty optimistic. Whereabouts have you seen PS3 issues reported?

On the Gametrailers forum, it's linked in the official thread. It's just one guy saying he has knows "several people" with the PS3 version and the freeze bug, but I don't see why he would lie. Also most people don't actually write which console they're playing on, and I'm quite sure I've seen someone else having it on PS3, though I can't give you a source for that. Anyway, my advice would be to keep playing anyway and just keeping ~5 different save games.

-Kh-

Banned
Ledsen said:
On the Gametrailers forum, it's linked in the official thread. It's just one guy saying he has knows "several people" with the PS3 version and the freeze bug, but I don't see why he would lie. Also most people don't actually write which console they're playing on.

I saw this issue be reported, this was around 2 weeks ago.

It wasn't in the resub afaik, so it shouldn't be on any PAL game.

Dibbz

Buggy Loop said:
EVeryone will shoot you on sight outside of the cease fire areas.

One cool addition that I just thought of would be to have the rival factions randomly attack gaurd posts, bases etc kinda how STALKER has faction wars going on. Would be pretty awesome to arrive at a train yard only to see an all out war between factions.

Dunno if they story is the reason that this aint happening since in Pala both factions co-exist without killing each other :|

Aaron

TTG said:

Fallout 3 is a return of everything that made Morrowind good. It has almost nothing to do with Oblivion. If anything, I consider Oblivion a far less focused game, with just generic garbage strewn over the landscape. For Morrowind fans (I own 3 copies of the game myself), F3 is a must buy.

ezekial45

Banned
ezekial45 said:
A few questions though:

1. At the end of Act I,
i went to Mike's Bar to help out my buddies. I take it they died after i passed out. Right? Playing as Warren btw.
2. Just got done with the first mission to Act II. When does the weapons merchant come back for another mission?
3. How many acts are there. And are there any other areas you go to after the southern map? (use spoiler tags for answers)

Anyone?

cluto

ezekial45 said:
They're dead.
As soon as you enter the second map, you should be able to do the rest of the weapon missions -- as long as you are not currently on another mission.
2 Acts, 2 maps. You will not unlock another area.

ezekial45

Banned
Exarchos said:
They're dead.
As soon as you enter the second map, you should be able to do the rest of the weapon missions -- as long as you are not currently on another mission.
2 Acts, 2 maps. You will not unlock another area.

I haven't seen the weapon merchant in a long time though. :lol I'll try to finish the current mission i'm on first and check back. Thanks.

So glad I stopped playing this and will be selling it. It got to the point where I was so bored with the same old crap and turns out the ending isn't even rewarding! Thank god I didn't waste anymore time with this. INSERT REGRET>

ezekial45

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So glad I stopped playing this and will be selling it. It got to the point where I was so bored with the same old crap and turns out the ending isn't even rewarding! Thank god I didn't waste anymore time with this. INSERT REGRET>

Don't try and ruin it for the people who are still playing.

The infinite enemy respawn and the fact that everybody outside Pala shoots at you has really killed this game for me.

If you clear a checkpoint the guards should either not come back or take a few in-game days to be replaced.

I'm not that far into the game, but they should have made you choose a faction to support so you aren't getting shot at constantly, even by the people you are helping. Traveling even just a short distance is a chore.

_Angelus_

Banned
Stupid question but if I do those side missions that the gun shop dealer offers,do I have to return to that one shop in order to buy the new weapons opened up after a successful mission or can I go to any shop on the map and buy them?

Lebron

Angelus said:
Stupid question but if I do those side missions that the gun shop dealer offers,do I have to return to that one shop in order to buy the new weapons opened up after a successful mission or can I go to any shop on the map and buy them?
any shop

_Angelus_

Banned
Thank you.
I was in such a rush I didn't even realize what weapons were being offered,I just wanted to try a side mission. Whew, so glad I don't have to travel all the way back to the original shop.

TTG

The Dagon village mission for the APR was cool. All I can say is be stealthy and look for hang gliders!

Mohonky

So is this save bug fixed or not? I'm about to get right into this game but I'm hessitant if I'm going to hit a road block at around the 50% mark....

Mohonky

DangerStepp said:
It's not just you, man. I'm playing on Xbox360 and it's the exact same. I had to tool with the brightness settings as I do in alot of newer games.

It's funny, last time I checked on this thread someone had the same exact complaint. In fact, I couldn't find the moon whenever I looked for it last.

That might be me. I can put any games in and the brightness settings are perfect, the pre-game 'adjust your brightness till you just see the icon' screens never need to be played with, however in this and Fallout 3 the shadows and interiors are incredibly dark. I have no idea why, but it's just this game and Fallout 3.

It has to be something to do with the colour space or HDR they use.

Lince

Banned
bloodforge said:
The infinite enemy respawn and the fact that everybody outside Pala shoots at you has really killed this game for me.

I reckon this should be patched to make the game more coherent, it feels weird you kill everyone in a certain spot causing hell and come back like in 5 minutes and it's already filled with a new patrol and in mint condition, where were they hiding?

zewone

bloodforge said:

If you clear a checkpoint the guards should either not come back or take a few in-game days to be replaced.

I'm not that far into the game, but they should have made you choose a faction to support so you aren't getting shot at constantly, even by the people you are helping. Traveling even just a short distance is a chore.
This is exactly how I feel.

I've gotten more used to it. I hated the game at first, but I'm warming up to it more. Two things could have made me fall in love with this game. One would be to do something about the annoyances you mentioned and the other is co-op.

Ledsen

Mohonky said:
So is this save bug fixed or not? I'm about to get right into this game but I'm hessitant if I'm going to hit a road block at around the 50% mark....

It's not fixed, and more and more people are getting it. As of now most reports are from 360 users though.

Mohonky

Ledsen said:
It's not fixed, and more and more people are getting it. As of now most reports are from 360 users though.

Yeop well I'm playing on 360 so it's bound to be a problem. I haven't exactly finished any missions though, all I've been doing is running around unlocking safe houses while doing missions for arms dealers so despite a few hours of play I'm still at about 4% completion.

Dibbz

Lince said:
I reckon this should be patched to make the game more coherent, it feels weird you kill everyone in a certain spot causing hell and come back like in 5 minutes and it's already filled with a new patrol and in mint condition, where were they hiding?
I thought that happened to until I wiped a gaurd post out which was located near a safe house. I saved the game in the safe house and went to sleep for a few hours. Went back to the guard post and the guys were still down.

It was early morning that I went back there which might be why there were no backup gaurds. Maybe if it's during the day the posts get "re-stocked" quicker than at night/early morning.

Or maybe it was just a bug :lol

No one got night shots for me? :(

Mohonky

Ok so I still haven't done any main missions outside of the initial tutorial, I have however spent 6hrs running around doing Assassination and Arms Dealer missions. I'm no game designer but like many others I've found the road blocks and random encounters a little annoying. I think random encounters are ok, I don't really have any complaints with them but continually being shot to pieces at road blocks is annoying. In these instances I believe they could easily have made it so that these road blocks could at least be 'bought' in the sense you could hire guys to watch those areas for you rather than continually respawning enemies at them.

The other part is there really should have been a quick travel. Each mission I've done so far has required me to travel at least half a maps distance. Ok, so I have been scouting and unlocking every safe house en route during my side missions but I'm at 6hrs of play and 7 side quests completed, the majority of my time seems to be spent travelling, especially if you lose a vehicle, then it really becomes a time consumer. I don't see why there is no quick travel in the game, I mean they have the buses but they aren't exactly convenient, often by the time I have travelled from the mission start to a bus, arrived at the other bus station and then trekked it to the mission location I'd have pretty much done the same distance just cutting through the guts of the map anyway. You should be able to quick travel to points you've already located. Now I think about it, the Road Blocks would actually make ideal quick spawn locations for travelling.

Otherwise, thoroughly enjoying this game. Gun handling is incredibly solid, real time day / night and weather cycle is fantastic, visuals are gorgeous for a console (playing 360 version) and I like the weapon upgrade system.

Oh and you can run over wildlife, woooooo

Top Bottom