• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Mohonky said:
Ok so I still haven't done any main missions outside of the initial tutorial, I have however spent 6hrs running around doing Assassination and Arms Dealer missions. I'm no game designer but like many others I've found the road blocks and random encounters a little annoying. I think random encounters are ok, I don't really have any complaints with them but continually being shot to pieces at road blocks is annoying. In these instances I believe they could easily have made it so that these road blocks could at least be 'bought' in the sense you could hire guys to watch those areas for you rather than continually respawning enemies at them.

The other part is there really should have been a quick travel. Each mission I've done so far has required me to travel at least half a maps distance. Ok, so I have been scouting and unlocking every safe house en route during my side missions but I'm at 6hrs of play and 7 side quests completed, the majority of my time seems to be spent travelling, especially if you lose a vehicle, then it really becomes a time consumer. I don't see why there is no quick travel in the game, I mean they have the buses but they aren't exactly convenient, often by the time I have travelled from the mission start to a bus, arrived at the other bus station and then trekked it to the mission location I'd have pretty much done the same distance just cutting through the guts of the map anyway. You should be able to quick travel to points you've already located. Now I think about it, the Road Blocks would actually make ideal quick spawn locations for travelling.

Otherwise, thoroughly enjoying this game. Gun handling is incredibly solid, real time day / night and weather cycle is fantastic, visuals are gorgeous for a console (playing 360 version) and I like the weapon upgrade system.

Oh and you can run over wildlife, woooooo
When the bus stops won't get you close to your objective it's often much better to take a boat and take the river to your objective. It's much quicker and you run into far fewer guard posts. Yo can also take out posts much easier on the river.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So glad I stopped playing this and will be selling it. It got to the point where I was so bored with the same old crap and turns out the ending isn't even rewarding! Thank god I didn't waste anymore time with this. INSERT REGRET>
It's the journey, not the destination.....junior.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
When I started playing Far Cry 2, it ran butter smooth, with no slow downs whatsoever.
Now, after playing for about 15 hours, it is starting to stutter. Rather I say, micro stutter. Which means it would stutter just for a millisecond and than back to normal. Its pretty smooth other than that.
I tested that this has nothing to do with the game settings. It would do same at lowest settings too.
It felt that it might be sound. So I turned of EAX and then tried. It helped a little bit, but only in huge firefights (probably my sound card wasn't able to handle that many sounds).
Whats wrong?

My system- Core 2 duo E6600
2GB RAM
8800GTS 640MB Superclocked
Sound blaster live! 5.1

I am using 180.43, the recommended driver for Far Cry 2. Tried reverting back too, to no effect.

Please guys help.....

Sectus

Mohonky said:
Ok so I still haven't done any main missions outside of the initial tutorial, I have however spent 6hrs running around doing Assassination and Arms Dealer missions. I'm no game designer but like many others I've found the road blocks and random encounters a little annoying. I think random encounters are ok, I don't really have any complaints with them but continually being shot to pieces at road blocks is annoying. In these instances I believe they could easily have made it so that these road blocks could at least be 'bought' in the sense you could hire guys to watch those areas for you rather than continually respawning enemies at them.
Although I didn't think that early in the game, after having played more than 30 hours I definitely agree there should have been something to decrease travelling time. Either a quick travel (although it should only be possible when not on a mission to not make traveling non-existant) or being able to keep multiple missions active.

I never had a big problem fighting enemies while traveling though. When travelling through guard posts I just did one of two things. My first tactic would be to simply drive straight through, which works surprisingly well. You might get 1 or 2 cars chasing after you, but after some distance you can either quickly jump out of the vehicle and blow them up, or drive even further and they'll give up on chasing you.

My other tactic would be to not follow the road at all and just drive offroad. That worked really well on the first map, but I saw less good opportunities for it on the second map. As another person mentioned, using the river for transportation works really good as well.

Mohonky

Sectus said:
Although I didn't think that early in the game, after having played more than 30 hours I definitely agree there should have been something to decrease travelling time. Either a quick travel (although it should only be possible when not on a mission to not make traveling non-existant) or being able to keep multiple missions active.

I never had a big problem fighting enemies while traveling though. When travelling through guard posts I just did one of two things. My first tactic would be to simply drive straight through, which works surprisingly well. You might get 1 or 2 cars chasing after you, but after some distance you can either quickly jump out of the vehicle and blow them up, or drive even further and they'll give up on chasing you.

My other tactic would be to not follow the road at all and just drive offroad. That worked really well on the first map, but I saw less good opportunities for it on the second map. As another person mentioned, using the river for transportation works really good as well.

Wait, there's more than one map? As in another totally different area to the one you start out in?

If thats the case, can you go back to get diamond cases you might have missed? I've only done a few side missions so I don't know how far the game extends, actually I've only done the 3 tutorial missions, I'm knocking off Arm Dealer and Assassinations via Cell at the moment. I noticed I have a lot of weapons to unlock but no more Arms Dealer missions appearing so I figured maybe you get more as the story progresses.

But a whole new map?

MMaRsu

I'm certainly enjoying this game..guard posts are not that bad. I can kill them easily with my silenced MP5, I can't wait till I get a silenced sniper ( is there one? ).

The graphics are fucking insane though, with huge attention to detail imo. The travel isn't that bad, because I use boats or buses :).

I'm loving the gunplay though, and the missions are cool as well :). I'm playing the 360 version btw :).

cluto

MMaRsu said:
I'm certainly enjoying this game..guard posts are not that bad. I can kill them easily with my silenced MP5, I can't wait till I get a silenced sniper ( is there one? ).
Dart Rifle. 10 diamonds. So worth it with the Marksman ammo upgrade.

-Kh-

Banned
Sectus said:

Did you people never take the BUS??????

I mean, there are 5 bus stops on each map, one in the main town of each map, and 4 others located towards the corners of the maps (tho not quite, but rather well placed).

Still it doesn't beat GTA4's taxis, but good enough to lower the tediousity at least 1 level~

-Kh-

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Nice, I'll buy that and the camo suit :). I also love the buggy heh :p.

Camo suit is not worth, you still have a better chance to sneak around unnoticed during night time than with that waste of 45 diamonds
IMO.

TTG said:
Yep, my latest save game is corrupted. I'm at 58% where
you're asked to take out the radio transmitter

D A M N.........IT !@!!!

I just had my game save crash at the EXACT same point. Finished the mission...auto save pops up asking me to save....I save, get some rest, come back for more............load last save...........entire sytem locks up.

I had 40+ hours invested and about 54% completion. Im pissed. This was my GOTY til this point.

Bah I've got Fallout 3 still sealed up, is that any good? lol

TTG

SNUG REVOL said:
D A M N.........IT !@!!!

I just had my game save crash at the EXACT same point. Finished the mission...auto save pops up asking me to save....I save, get some rest, come back for more............load last save...........entire sytem locks up.

I had 40+ hours invested and about 54% completion. Im pissed. This was my GOTY til this point.

Bah I've got Fallout 3 still sealed up, is that any good? lol

Go to the previous save, do a side mission and then re-do that one. It should work.

Edit: as far as GOTY material.. I don't know. It had the potential, but some big mistakes keep from being a AAA top tier game, atleast that's my opinion 2/3rds into it.

TTG said:
Go to the previous save, do a side mission and then re-do that one. It should work.

Edit: as far as GOTY material.. I don't know. It had the potential, but some big mistakes keep from being a AAA top tier game, atleast that's my opinion 2/3rds into it.
Thanks for the tip. It sucks that my last save was 3 hours behind :(.

Ledsen

-Kh- said:
Is that save corruption bug occuring only on the PC version?

Mainly on the 360 version, haven't seen reports about the other versions.

TTG said:

there are people who have restarted the entire game and it still locks up.You're by no means safe by reloading an earlier savegame, you may be lucky and you may not. I would advise just to stop playing until a patch comes out. This game is broken as fuck.

-Kh-

Banned
Ledsen said:
Mainly on the 360 version, haven't seen reports about the other versions.

It's not going to be on the PS3 pal version, because this issue was found a few weeks ago, but then it was probably too late to cross reference the bug. Shouldn't be on the 360 pal version either.

_Angelus_

Banned
My combo is devastating right now.

Sniper rifle + grenade launcher + Dart rifle + using the jeep to lure them in then switching to the mounted gun on the jeep...well the game isn't nearly so tough as it was.

I don't use any assault rifles when I play,I prefer the a combination of sniper rifles and my good ole trusty machete when enemy numbers are lower and I'm closing in. Seriously,I need to add some Friday the 13th to my 360 hard drive and play away,cause I feel like a total evil bastard with the machete. Cause I won't fucking miss or have to reload with that thing.:lol

EGM92

I got a problem, I can't find this on the official forums. I hope someone can help me here, I got a new video card and it helped me get the game working (finally). I got the game running now I have a problem with audio. Audio like music and background/NPC voices work fine, phonecalls and such I only get subtitles, is this normal?

I'm running some Realtek HD Audio onboard card and the card is a HD4850 OC'd to hell.

Anyone experience this? know what's happening? Solution?

Thanks.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ok. I just hit the 30% mark and crossed the "This game is pretty shit" point. I have some stealth cammo and some GOOD weapons and things are coming along very, very well. The game seem to get better looking the more you explore too. I thought it was pretty average looking at first.

web01

Who is playing online in the 360 version?

Also everyone should be talking about the amazing map editor there is already some really great levels out D DAY is fun and there is a really awesome remake of Backlot from COD4 which is almost perfect.

If anyone wants to add me and share custom maps send a friend request to Webb0001

VictimOfGrief said:
It's the journey, not the destination.....junior.

Haha, good one. That stupid label doesn't dictate my tastes and opinions. I understand you really enjoy the game, and that's cool. Some do, some don't. I did enjoy it for the first ten hours, but the JOURNEY got to be nothing more than a hassle and no longer enjoyable. I don't appreciate being minimized because it says "JUNIOR MEMBER" under my name.

Just saying...

Rainy Dog

Finished last night. 39 hours played, all missions complete apart from 2 side missions I missed near the beginning before I'd really understood how the side missions incorporated into the main ones. Only about half the diamonds found...stopped going too far out of my way to collect them eventually as didn't seem worth the reward unfortunately. Phenomenal experience and my personal GOTY to date. Went in expecting another Assassins Creed. An intriguing, commendable, but overly ambitious and ultimately deeply flawed experiment. Instead found, to me anyway, a genre defining masterpiece set in one the most beautifully realised game worlds I've ever been in. Easily the most captivating single player FPS since HL2 for me and really do hope it's sold well enough to justify a sequel.

Ledsen

-Kh- said:
It's not going to be on the PS3 pal version, because this issue was found a few weeks ago, but then it was probably too late to cross reference the bug. Shouldn't be on the 360 pal version either.

Do you work at Ubi? I have the 360 PAL version and unfortunately, it's there :(

-Kh-

Banned
Ledsen said:
Do you work at Ubi? I have the 360 PAL version and unfortunately, it's there :(

Oh really? Well then sucks for Ubi if they don't cross reference their bugs among platforms.

Not Ubi, Sony

Just assumed they would think it might be a global bug, not a platform exclusive one.

Ledsen

-Kh- said:
Oh really? Well then sucks for Ubi if they don't cross reference their bugs among platforms.

Not Ubi, Sony

Just assumed they would think it might be a global bug, not a platform exclusive one.

Well it should be fixed soon since the internet is exploding with threads about it now that people are getting farther into the game. I wonder how fast Ubi can get the patch through though, hopefully within the week or I'll be a sad panda :( Although I suppose they'll be fixing a lot of things with it and not just that particular bug.

MMaRsu said:

The graphics are fucking insane though, with huge attention to detail imo. The travel isn't that bad, because I use boats or buses :).

I'm loving the gunplay though, and the missions are cool as well :). I'm playing the 360 version btw :).
Those guard posts will piss you off guaranteed once you get to the point where you have to constantly take them out to get anywhere, even by boat. It's seriously getting on my nerves after 20 odd hours (even though I can easily take 'em out), and it doesn't help that I get attacked by random patrolling vehicles when I try to just look around as well, effectively blowing my cover for the nearby enemy base during a story mission. I even get attacked a few seconds after I leave a bus station for crying out loud...

And the missions lack any form of variety on their own. 90% of the time (at least where I am) you have to go from point A to B, shoot people, then go to point C to rendez-vous with one of your buddies if you accepted his side-mission. The only way to change things up a bit during these missions, is to regularly alter your equipment, but I'm personally not bothering with this due to the enormously flawed and annoying artificial intelligence.

MMaRsu

MicVlaD said:
Those guard posts will piss you off guaranteed once you get to the point where you have to constantly take them out to get anywhere, even by boat. It's seriously getting on my nerves after 20 odd hours (even though I can easily take 'em out), and it doesn't help that I get attacked by random patrolling vehicles when I try to just look around as well, effectively blowing my cover for the nearby enemy base during a story mission. I even get attacked a few seconds after I leave a bus station for crying out loud...

And the missions lack any form of variety on their own. 90% of the time (at least where I am) you have to go from point A to B, shoot people, then go to point C to rendez-vous with one of your buddies if you accepted his side-mission. The only way to change things up a bit during these missions, is to regularly alter your equipment, but I'm personally not bothering with this due to the enormously flawed and annoying artificial intelligence.

Well I'm about 12 hours in or something, at least I'm at the south map already. But I don't realy mind the guard posts honestly. I can kill them so fast ^_^. Just snipe the fuck out of them lol :p. Kill the rest with my Desert Eagle ;)

And yeah ok sure it's go from A to B, kill some guys or blow something up, but it's still fun. What other kind of missions would you like to do? Go into a magic dreamworld and kill all the teddy bears? Just joking, but still, it's hard to come up with captivating missions in a game like this anyway.

Ledsen

MMaRsu said:
Well I'm about 12 hours in or something, at least I'm at the south map already. But I don't realy mind the guard posts honestly. I can kill them so fast ^_^. Just snipe the fuck out of them lol :p. Kill the rest with my Desert Eagle ;)

And yeah ok sure it's go from A to B, kill some guys or blow something up, but it's still fun. What other kind of missions would you like to do? Go into a magic dreamworld and kill all the teddy bears? Just joking, but still, it's hard to come up with captivating missions in a game like this anyway.

In the second map there are a lot of cool story missions that don't follow that formula, I wish they'd made more of those for the first half of the game.

Just finished the game.

Spoilers for those who haven't beat it yet.

Alright--- I actually liked the ending of the game... call me crazy. The fight with all of your former buddies was intense especially the chick since I wounded her and she clutching her stomach--- Finished her off with my machete (and felt bad....).

The ending itself--- obviously the Jackyl didn't hold his end of the Bargin. I can see why Ubi wants to keep the story open and I hope that in the next game, you get the role of one person ONLY who is in some way tied to the Jackyl to actually feel the satisfaction of the kill.

I didn't feel cheated or anything and this game is definitely a contender for GOTY for me after it's previous short comings. I did quite enjoy it.

Looking forward to the mods for this.

MMaRsu

Fuck just played hours and forgot to save..died...car ran me over..fuck..

dont want to play now, time for Dead Space ^_^.

Game freezes several times for me. When it was installing there was something about Microsoft Framework 2.0 update... but when it was installing the system froze and I had to finish the process... I imagine that´s what´s going on... how can I fix this?

BTW I´m running the game in a 4400+ X2, 4GB DDR2 800, 9600GT.

Insane Metal said:
Game freezes several times for me. When it was installing there was something about Microsoft Framework 2.0 update... but when it was installing the system froze and I had to finish the process... I imagine that´s what´s going on... how can I fix this?

BTW I´m running the game in a 4400+ X2, 4GB DDR2 800, 9600GT.
Anybody?? :(

bee

Insane Metal said:
wat

Re-installing the game won´t lose my savegames? If not I´ll do it nao :D

not uninstalled mine but it'll probably ask you if you want to also remove your profiles and saved games obviously click no there. if you wanna be extra careful and i would, just move the saved games folder manually, reinstall the game and then move it back

find it here on vista C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2\Saved Games

bee said:
not uninstalled mine but it'll probably ask you if you want to also remove your profiles and saved games obviously click no there. if you wanna be extra careful and i would, just move the saved games folder manually, reinstall the game and then move it back

find it here on vista C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2\Saved Games
Thanks mate! Gonna try that.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I just got this game for the PC and I was reading through this thread a bit...

What's with this talk about the PC version being consolized? The only thing that hinted at that for me is the somewhat simplified controls. The game feels very much like a PC game. The gameplay is paced more like a PC game, the GUI suits the PC well and doesn't seem consolified, and the graphics are notably superior beyond just higher resolutions and AA. The controls feel fine too on a mouse and keyboard. I would never want to play this game with a pad. Eww.

Anyways, this game is pretty sweet. I'm really digging the realism of it. The developers really went and innovated things.

akenatone

i am pretty much done with this. the game feels more like a chore than anything now. i usually never give up on games. sadly this is a very good game with a design flaw that killed it for me.

it's just like burnout and the restart option. i get that when designers create this huge nice world , they want you to see it and explore it. but after doing all the weapon missions i can so far and assassinations, i just dont feel like reclearing every outpost i go through and driving/walking all around.

they have to either patch in a fast travel or some timed outpost repopulation.

ultimately, i just dont have the time to waste going from point a to b over and over again. oh well; for the rest who can put up with it, enjoy.

Ledsen

BobsRevenge said:
I just got this game for the PC and I was reading through this thread a bit...

What's with this talk about the PC version being consolized? The only thing that hinted at that for me is the somewhat simplified controls. The game feels very much like a PC game. The gameplay is paced more like a PC game, the GUI suits the PC well and doesn't seem consolified, and the graphics are notably superior beyond just higher resolutions and AA. The controls feel fine too on a mouse and keyboard. I would never want to play this game with a pad. Eww.

Anyways, this game is pretty sweet. I'm really digging the realism of it. The developers really went and innovated things.

Some people (not necessarily here on NeoGaf) are whining about the lack of lean and prone. I've never ever used lean in any fps that had it, so I can't understand that, but the removal of prone is a little weird.

TTG

Finished it today, took about 30 hours. I had about 8 checkpoints left to "scope"(more like 3 or 4 as I know I just destroyed some of the ammo kits and stuff as I was going through them) and less than 10 side missions, I did all the blue optional buddy objectives too. All of the assassination missions, all of the weapons guy missions...

To me, this was a very high concept game that had a lot of very interesting things going for it. Ultimately poor execution in certain elements and some poor design choices hold it back from being a triple A game.

Probably the most amazing "open world" environment I've seen, the game is gorgeous. Great weapons and inventory system allowing for a lot of strategy and flexibility to the combat. The buddy system is a great concept, as limited as it is. The gunplay is very good for an open world game.

The AI is mediocre :lol The story in broad strokes is interesting, but it's as if someone who knew what they were doing outlined what was suppose to happen and then handed it over to a bunch of people who fucked it all up from the voice acting to just explaining why you're doing what it is you're doing(normally I wouldn't care about this... but it's 20+ hours long). The decision to make all the people outside of cease-fire zones your mortal enemies is a poor one. Some of the common open world game problems are still here like spawning enemies and more bugs than in a more linear game.

Edit: I'll give the map editor and multiplayer a whirl later, too many games out right now.

Rainy Dog said:
Finished last night. 39 hours played, all missions complete apart from 2 side missions I missed near the beginning before I'd really understood how the side missions incorporated into the main ones. Only about half the diamonds found...stopped going too far out of my way to collect them eventually as didn't seem worth the reward unfortunately. Phenomenal experience and my personal GOTY to date. Went in expecting another Assassins Creed. An intriguing, commendable, but overly ambitious and ultimately deeply flawed experiment. Instead found, to me anyway, a genre defining masterpiece set in one the most beautifully realised game worlds I've ever been in. Easily the most captivating single player FPS since HL2 for me and really do hope it's sold well enough to justify a sequel.

Holy shit! 39 hours! ...congrats dude! Awesome to hear you positive take. Personally it's gonna take my a loooong time to finish FC2, but I honestly love that about it. It's a game I'll be coming back to for weeks to play for an hour or so at a time, loving every visit. Hell every time I start playing Fallout3, I just wanna play FC2 instead!

Totally agree with it having of one the most well realized game worlds ever made!

Top Bottom