• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

ElyrionX

bee said:
its a good game for sure, its not nearly as bad as some people are making out in this thread. however its also far from great, best fps ever? lol, its not even the best fps this year. interesting but predictable that most people giving it heavy criticism are pc gamers and the ones giving it gushing praise are console gamers

Console gamers have more genres to choose from so maybe they have less exposure to FPS's as compared to PC gamers who only have FPS's to play so naturally PC gamers would have higher expectations of their FPS's, amirite?

Pachimari

BakedPigeon said:
I am a console gamer and was playing far cry 2 on my friends PC for like 4 hours straight which persuaded me to buy it for my 360. The PC version is MUCH MUCH MUCH better, its almost a complete turnoff to even play this game on my 360.
I haven't played Far Cry 2 yet but is getting it later today for the 360. What is the differences between the versions other than controls?

Also wow

Screenshot0009.png

bee said:
it does, not my screen but it shows it clearly

fc2benchmark1.jpg

its a good game for sure, its not nearly as bad as some people are making out in this thread. however its also far from great, best fps ever? lol, its not even the best fps this year. interesting but predictable that most people giving it heavy criticism are pc gamers and the ones giving it gushing praise are console gamers

Because COD4, Orange Box, Bioshock, and Halo 3 aren't on consoles for everyone to compare...

TTG

rareside said:
Ended up finishing the game off today. I enjoyed the game despite its flaws (and I did experience the loading glitch and had to go back to a previous save)!!!

Question about the ending: SPOILERS!

How the hell did the devs think it was a good idea to end the game with suicide? The entire game I'm playing for cash, motivated by pure greed, and it only gets worse as the game progresses, turning into a psycho killing everyone you previously did business with.

I did enjoy the 3rd act though... I dug how my character was spiraling out of control killing everyone, but......

Was I supposed to be brainwashed by the Jackal in the last act? Seriously? I felt somewhat betrayed by the ending, as I didn't think my character would've gone with either of the 2 choices.

I'd be more convinced by an ending where I make it out alive on a plane somehow, only to get sick on the plane en route, dig in my pocket for pills, notice I'm empty, and die right then from malaria...

I chose the diamond route and it never really shows you killing yourself. It leaves it open, before the ending rolls it also says that the body of the Jackal was never found so I'm guessing it's the same if you pick the dynamite.

The buddy betrayal was just typical of the way the story was throughout. Interesting ideas, crappy execution. Just the same way you don't know why you're doing what you're doing for the buddy subvert missions half the time or don't understand how it would help... this is the same way. The whole thing was also fucked by the silent main character. Who hired you to kill the Jackal? There's never even a simple conversation about how doing missions for either faction would help you find the jackal or why you would accept one over the other. You just go to their location because an exclamation sign pops up and show up at their door. Somewhere down the line I read in a quest menu that it was promised that doing missions for a particular guy would mean he'd give me information on where the jackal was... a bunch of BS. :lol

TTG said:
I chose the diamond route and it never really shows you killing yourself. It leaves it open, before the ending rolls it also says that the body of the Jackal was never found so I'm guessing it's the same if you pick the dynamite.
I saved before choosing and did both.

The dynamite shows you detonating the dynamite by hand. There's no way you're alive.

ezekial45

Banned
Got a few questions:

1. Was there anyway to save your buddy after you
break out of prison?
I tried looking for him, but i couldn't find anything. He came up as abandoned afterwards.
2. Are there certain points where Buddies HAVE to die? Or is was there a possible to save them? I stuck 3 syringes into Frank after a firefight with the APR, but he still died.
3. In consideration of the first question, how much longer till the end?

ezekial45 said:
Got a few questions:

break out of prison?
I tried looking for him, but i couldn't find anything. He came up as abandoned afterwards.
2. Are there certain points where Buddies HAVE to die? Or is was there a possible to save them? I stuck 3 syringes into Frank after a firefight with the APR, but he still died.
I'm pretty sure that they overdose if you stick 3 syrettes into them.

Anastacio said:
I haven't played Far Cry 2 yet but is getting it later today for the 360. What is the differences between the versions other than controls?

I doubt if there is anything besides some possibly better LOD scaling and perhaps some higher res textures on the PC version. The 360 version is beautiful and rock solid 30 fps.

I gotta say, I love this game. I'm playing it on the PC (if that matters?). I really don't understand all the hate.

My only real gripes with the game are the lack of bus-stops and the fact that you can't shoot while you're driving.

Surely somebody at Ubisoft thought being able to shoot while driving was a good idea - especially for this game. Come on.

conman

Bummer of a game.

Took a while to get into it, but once I got a rhythm going, I really liked it. Then I got tired. Then I started to resent it.

Then the game just kept going, and going, and going. Once you get a working strategy, it doesn't really get any tougher. Once I got to the second zone and realized the game wasn't going to change drastically, I figured it was time to cash in my chips.

This game would have been very good at ~20hrs of playtime. Not great or exceptional, but very good. But at ~40hrs, this game's just ridiculously bloated.

Promising, but ultimately disappointing. The comparisons to Assassin's Creed are unfair to Assassin's Creed (one of my all time favorites), but I understand where the comparisons are coming from. Far Cry 2 has some great overriding ideas, but the game just can't sustain them for that long.

The overaching story sucks, and the sense of who you are, what you're doing, and why you're doing it are never fully developed. Unlike an RPG which gives you a constantly shifting and adapting sense of your character, this game chooses to give you absolutely no sense of your character. You have to fill in all the blanks yourself. That's not "imagination." That's just laziness and an utter disregard for the importance of good game writing.

And unlike a more linear FPS, there's very little sense of purpose or direction. You just meander for 39.9hrs.

And unlike a sandbox game, the individual storylines don't lead anywhere. The buddies don't have real stories a deep personalities, and you never get a sense for an actual civil war happening between two competing factions. It just feels like you vs. everyone else.

Promising but disappointing.

That would matter if the story was important to the game. It isn't narrative driven. Its more tactical driven. The issue I have with the game is that too often they recycle the same local for multiple missions. Once you have torn through a village killing every enemy in there, going back the 2nd and 3rd time isn't as interesting.

That is actually why I like the 2nd area more, recycling isn't as apparent except for the missions in the village built into the cliff side. I've played it for 20+ hours now, and I feel I've gotten much more than my money's worth. I do wish that I had seen the end of it by now but still have a little under 30% left to go. I can't be upset with a game that has entertained me for that long and also a game I keep thinking about returning to while playing Gears 2.

Game is good enought that if they release DLC for it with new missions, guns, vehicles, what have you I'd be game for it. The core shooting and mechanics are really satisfying to me.

MacBosse

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Because COD4, Orange Box, Bioshock, and Halo 3 aren't on consoles for everyone to compare...

well ... they all are except Halo 3.

(not counting the Wii since it doesn't have Far Cry 2)

Dibbz

Raide said:
To be honest, it is the same for people playing Fable 2 and complaining that they can finish it in less than 8 hours. I have spent countless hours in Fable 2 just roaming around and seeing what is around. The same goes for Far Cry 2, I just love to travel around and see whats out there...and shoot it. :lol
Speaking of wandering around I was doing some of that today and I came across this.

3016830191_624e46a2c1_b.jpg

Anyone else find anything cool like this? :D

It's a golden AK if anyone can't see because of my crappy pic. :p

TTG

ezekial45 said:
Got a few questions:

break out of prison?

1. Yes and it's ridiculously easy. You
"escape"
and there's a FAL paratrooper just sitting next to a crate as you come up the stairs, then you just go into the only other door and follow the only other path. :lol
just the attack on Mike's bar
3.You're maybe 85% through the main quest line? It picks up a little from that point, no more aimless filler missions.

TTG

conman said:
Bummer of a game.

Took a while to get into it, but once I got a rhythm going, I really liked it. Then I got tired. Then I started to resent it.

Then the game just kept going, and going, and going. Once you get a working strategy, it doesn't really get any tougher. Once I got to the second zone and realized the game wasn't going to change drastically, I figured it was time to cash in my chips.

This game would have been very good at ~20hrs of playtime. Not great or exceptional, but very good. But at ~40hrs, this game's just ridiculously bloated.

Promising, but ultimately disappointing. The comparisons to Assassin's Creed are unfair to Assassin's Creed (one of my all time favorites), but I understand where the comparisons are coming from. Far Cry 2 has some great overriding ideas, but the game just can't sustain them for that long.

The overaching story sucks, and the sense of who you are, what you're doing, and why you're doing it are never fully developed. Unlike an RPG which gives you a constantly shifting and adapting sense of your character, this game chooses to give you absolutely no sense of your character. You have to fill in all the blanks yourself. That's not "imagination." That's just laziness and an utter disregard for the importance of good game writing.

And unlike a more linear FPS, there's very little sense of purpose or direction. You just meander for 39.9hrs.

And unlike a sandbox game, the individual storylines don't lead anywhere. The buddies don't have real stories a deep personalities, and you never get a sense for an actual civil war happening between two competing factions. It just feels like you vs. everyone else.

Promising but disappointing.

Agree with all of that and yet I still think it's an enjoyable experience overall. There's basically 3 things they had to do:

1. Edit out all of the filler missions. If it doesn't present a unique challenge or environment, it should have been cut out. It feels maybe 5-8 hours too long.

2. Complete reworking of the narrative. It didn't need to be the most amazing thing ever, but as it stands it's downright horrible. In a game this long, it's a big negative.

3. There had to be a better way of dealing with the enemy AI. Either have a Hitman esque system or even Mercenaries and leave the checkpoints cleared after you've taken out the enemies there. There are 57 of them, so I don't think the pacing would of suffered if you didn't run into one every 5 minutes.

If those issues were taken care of, it would be up there with one of the best games of the year.

conman

TTG said:
If those issues were taken care of, it would be up there with one of the best games of the year.
Agree. There were moments where I was thinking that this was easily the most underrated game of the year, but then it started to show its fraying seams too often.

I think your suggestions would pretty much clear it up, but those are unfortunately pretty major changes. Ostensibly, it's a retelling of Heart of Darkness, but the Jackal plays such a small role in the game that I never felt like there was anything at stake.

And the fact that the two factions don't ever really seem to be at war with anyone but you doesn't help matters. The idea's fantastic, but there's a lot left to be done to make the game world "come to life" (essential to any good open-world game, whether or not it's narrative driven).

Improving the respawn rate would help, but it wasn't all that irksome to me. As you progress, you start adopting new and more expedient tactics, so your conflicts with the guard posts change over time.

I'm also an obsessive completionist, so I felt compelled to do all the side missions. Unfortunately, they don't really change much. All they do is force you to move around the map more. In the GTA games, those side missions tell their own story and usually get harder as you progress. But here, each mission type (cell tower, buddy, underground, etc.) is essentially the same, just in a different location.

Lots of promise and some truly memorable moments, but it just can't hold it together for the full length of the game.

I love the game, my only gripe is with the AI. I had a guy on the .50 cal on a jeep shooting at me from 5m away, and he was pumping lead away right over my head. Things like that bug me, but the overall world is fantastic.

I enjoy the setting in Africa, the engine is brilliantly optimized, and the gunplay is fun.

Future

Just finished it. Man, what a pretty unsatisfying ending. Kind of rushed and a little unbelievable.

This does have Assasin's Creed-ish design, which really just happens to be crappy open world design. There are really only 3 types of missions in the game: retrieve the item, kill someone, destroy the convoy, and they are just repeated ad-nauseum. Worse yet, they are repeated at the same locales with the exact same AI layouts. In fact, you can see the AI layouts ahead of time whenever you want by simply exploring and entering marked areas without a mission activated, since they are always packed with guards. So if you spend time exploring, you are actually punished by repetition. If you do the optional missions, then you are punished even more by repetition.

Even worse yet, you need to trek through the same paths repeatedly to do these missions, and fight through the same checkpoints with the same AI soldiers...repeatedly. 80% of this game is traveling, and when you finally get to where you need to go, odds are youve already been there and you are just repeating the same shit again. Eventually it just gets tiring.

The game has its moments, but they usually come from story events that occasionally move away from the pain in the ass design mentioned above. This game has too much repetition to even be mentioned with the big FPS games last year. Doesn't even compare.

On a positive note, I did like the gunplay. The game is fun to play in the end, which is why I managed to finish it. If I wasnt doing the same shit constantly, it actually would have been a fun experience throughout.

RotBot

Having the game be exclusively you versus everybody breaks the atmosphere it's trying to build. You're supposedly in a war zone, but you never see the factions fight each other. The whole country is completely peaceful. Everybody gets along with everybody else, except for you of course.

Other open-world games like GTA and Assassin's Creed are fun to explore because the entire populace isn't trying to kill you all the time in those games. Even GTA3 got annoying for me later in the game because the mafia and the gangs start shooting you on sight when you travel through their territories.

This game would have benefited from having the 2 warring factions actually be in the game world, who would fight each other, and who you could gain favor with to pass through their checkpoints without harassment.

Fighting the random mercenaries all the time gets extremely tedious, and you can't even run away when they chase you because, just like in real life, getting the rear end of your car shot up causes the engine to fail.

Oh, and the excessive head bob makes this game a bad time for anyone who gets FPS motion sickness.

I reached the second sector of the map now. But I'm only under 40% into the game?

Is 100% like GTA where I have to have all done or do I only need to do all the main missions to get 100%?

Today the unexpected happened: I dunno why but one guy shot another one and vice versa until one of them was dead. I saw it right trough my sniper rifle :lol

Then again I had another curious situation. I stopped driving around because I had to check the map in detail when a zebra pushed my car away. WTF? It wasn't dead but ran away after this.

Anyway, is there a possibility to disable the hands and the weapons to make screenshots without "myself"?

Just finished it myself. Sure the game gets into a repetitive groove about 1/2 way through and sure you end up taking out the same groups of enemies time and time again but the positives far outweigh these negatives.

It is by far the prettiest open world game I've ever played. Apples and Oranges to GTA IV for certain but for terrain based games it is gorgeous. The wind, foliage, topography, weather, time of day, sound, and associated effects are beautiful. I enjoyed near every minute of exploring the landscape of the game and soaking in all of the work that the developers did.

I also appreciated being able to use wind and fire to my advantage for the first time in a game. Single bullets could wipe out entire villages of enemies if the wind was in your favor. It adds another feather in the cap of increased graphics technology leading to more interesting game design.

On the final trek the artists let loose and populated the richest most beautiful environment in the entire game. Perhaps I was lucky with the mid day sun streaming through the jungle canvas and a gale force wind shaking the foliage but the final trip in and the last few massive shootouts had me completely wrapped up in the final mission and the conclusion of the game.

Great job Ubi! I give the game a 9/10 and will likely return to the SP and most certainly the MP Map Editor.

Cronen

Any word on a patch to fix this game save problem? I read a while ago that Ubisoft were looking in to community feedback, have we heard anymore since then?

Ledsen

Cronen said:
Any word on a patch to fix this game save problem? I read a while ago that Ubisoft were looking in to community feedback, have we heard anymore since then?

Nothing except "we're working on it, please help us by reporting in this thread" on the official forums.

Nizz

Ledsen said:
Nothing except "we're working on it, please help us by reporting in this thread" on the official forums.
That's disappointing :( I want to get back into the game, but right now I'm completely stuck due to where I decided to save. I wish they would've caught that save glitch before they shipped...

Cronen

fps fanatic said:
That's disappointing :( I want to get back into the game, but right now I'm completely stuck due to where I decided to save. I wish they would've caught that save glitch before they shipped...

Me too mate. I really want to get back in to the game, but I don't really want to put 20+ hours back in to get to where I was :-/

So if I want to get all of the achievements/trophies for Far Cry 2, what's the best way/order to approach the missions and side-quests? Bear in mind that I haven't started playing the game yet, just want to know in advance so that I don't accidentally snooker myself when I finally get going.

endlessflood said:
So if I want to get all of the achievements/trophies for Far Cry 2, what's the best way/order to approach the missions and side-quests? Bear in mind that I haven't started playing the game yet, just want to know in advance so that I don't accidentally snooker myself when I finally get going.

Just get everything tertiary done before you hit around 75% completion.

Ledsen

endlessflood said:

step 1: wait until the patch comes out.

Dibbz

Far Cry 2 on PS3 just got a patch.

1.03 is out now, I'm downloading it now. Wonder if it fixes the load game glitch.

Dibbz

Don't notice anything different in the Singleplayer since I never had the load game glitch.

People on the Ubisoft forums are saying that online stats have been wiped and they are getting disconnect frequently. :|

Dibbz

For anyone who cares here's the changelog from the Ubi forums.

Here is the list of fixes and additions within the latest Ps3 patch:

Fix: Freeze 10 seconds every minute with some dns servers
Fix: Freeze with exclusive content with some dns servers

Multiplayer
Add: Multiplayer Home launch support (will be available once Home has been released)
Fix: multiplayer excessive or infinite loading time
Fix: multiplayer synchronisation problems
Fix: empty disconnection dialog box
Fix: multiplayer user interface issues (kill messages missing, diamond icon on killed players, ...)
Change: peer to peer map download strategy to increase the download speed
Fix: potential problems with some additional content
Change : Ranked games can now start if the player max is attained and everybody but the host is ready
Fix : Ranked QuickMatch is no more trying to connect to already started sessions

Singleplayer
Fix: mortar allowing the character to go through walls
Fix: Gold AK missing
Fix: Environment not reset correctly
Fix: Control lost when buddy dying in your hand
Fix: Saving on specific locations or with specific timing can be incorrect
Fix: Desert effect staying permanently
Fix: Statistics incorrect
Fix: Text errors

Editor
Fix: few snapping problems
Fix: crash with user abuse with roads

I got pulled off Far Cry 2 after getting it the first day but now I'm going to get back to it. What's the word on the multiplayer on the console? Is there a community around the game and how does it play?

Dibbz

Stoney Mason said:
I got pulled off Far Cry 2 after getting it the first day but now I'm going to get back to it. What's the word on the multiplayer on the console? Is there a community around the game and how does it play?
I've enjoyed it so far. There are some good maps that have been created. Seems like people love making CoD4 maps in this though. :|

Multiplayer is great but nothing groundbreaking.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I am a console gamer and was playing far cry 2 on my friends PC for like 4 hours straight which persuaded me to buy it for my 360. The PC version is MUCH MUCH MUCH better, its almost a complete turnoff to even play this game on my 360.
This is absolutely untrue.

I had a chance to try the 360 version on my own setup last night and, believe it or not, the 360 version holds up beautifully. It looks extremely similar, has great image quality, and seemingly sacrifices nothing. In comparison, I had the PC version running in 1080p with 4x AA at the highest details. Yes, it was cleaner and a bit more detailed, but the overall appearance was not significantly better. There was nothing night and day about the two versions. The 360 version was perfectly fine. Even the framerate holds up nicely on 360 (though there is tearing at points).

The PC version is certainly the best of the three, as usual, but it's nowhere near as different as people had suggested.

Nizz

Dibbz said:
Far Cry 2 on PS3 just got a patch.

1.03 is out now, I'm downloading it now. Wonder if it fixes the load game glitch.
Thanks for the heads up. I hope this takes care of the save glitch. Going to d/load it later...

Burger

I really want to enjoy this game, I keep popping it in and playing for 30 minutes, but it's infuriating. Why is everyone trying to kill me ? What did I do to deserve this ?

I'll be driving down the road, and an oncoming car totally flips out, the driver hell bent on running me down and killing me. I get out and blow his face off. Why would anyone do that ?

It's like playing GTA except all the pedestrians have machine guns and want my blood, yet act cordial to each other. What is going on here ?

My buddy will call me up and say meet me here, which is completely on the opposite side of the map, so there is 10 minutes of game just to get there, with a game over screen a real possibility. It's completely ruining the game for me.

Also, what happened with the voice work for this game ? The VO is quieter than it should be, with no option to boost it, and everyone speaks with no punctuation ? There are subtitles with commas, full stops to indicate the end of the sentence, but characters simply speak as fast as they can, it's hard to understand most of the time.

Everything else is great so far, but the strange bullseye on my face thing is simply ridiculous.

Burger said:
Everything else is great so far, but the strange bullseye on my face thing is simply ridiculous.

The country is in lockdown as thus everyone is your enemy. There are no civilians in the overworld, only factions and military. UBI obviously didn't want the player killing civilians, probably to side step the whole BS Resident Evil 5 controversy.

The VO is the way it is to get the characters to say what they need to as quick as they can so no one would complain about how long the dialouge sequences are to tell the story and give mission goals. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

BTW, anyone wanting to see animals should go to the lower left bus station in the 2nd area. Typically there are loads of them roaming in the grasslands.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What was that command to have the game on a constant fps? There was a recent thread about this for PC games, anyone still have that link? Framerate is off the roof with a 4850.

dejan

After finishing Stalker I finally started playing this game today (Fallout 3 and Witcher EE have to wait a bit longer). Just got through the tutorial and so far so good. Playing on normal and had no problem downing enemies quickly. There seem to be some cool gameplay ideas, but it's to early for me to tell if the execution is actually good.

Teetris said:
What was that command to have the game on a constant fps? There was a recent thread about this for PC games, anyone still have that link? Framerate is off the roof with a 4850.
hit ^
type gfx_maxFPS 30
finish with enter and ^ again

you can switch between all avaiable commands by just hitting tab after ^ instead of typing anything

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Caesar III said:
hit ^
type gfx_maxFPS 30
finish with enter and ^ again

you can switch between all avaiable commands by just hitting tab after ^ instead of typing anything
Thanks! Game plays like a charm now.

Too bad you can't make the screen tearing go away though

Top Bottom