• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Caesar III said:
you can, just activate vsync in the pre-game settings.
OMG, so that's what that does :lol

Thanks alot! I usually don't mind the tearing in games but in this game it's just atrocious

RPS37

I rented it a few days ago.
I was really ready to put it down and get rid of it after the first hour, but I kept playing just to see where it would go.
After the 2nd hour, I was pretty hooked from just exploring, trying to find diamonds and unlock safe houses.
I'm now 6 hours and I'm reeeally liking it., but I'm not even really dealing with the main story.

All said, it did take a while to get used to the shooting. It doesn't feel right. And I'm dying quite often on Normal.

It's still nothing like anything I've ever played.

GTA/Assassin's Creed + Africa + FPS = win win win.

Does anyone know why Ubisoft decided to speed up the dialogue in the game? It practically ruins the possibility of enjoying the story at all.

Nikorasu

Teetris said:

Thanks alot! I usually don't mind the tearing in games but in this game it's just atrocious

Well, in actuality, tearing in PC games can differ greatly from person to person. It's entirely due to what framerate it's running at during any given moment (specifically, how close it is to your monitor's refresh rate or a multiple thereof. On a 60 Hz monitor, that is 60/30/15/etc) One person could be averaging close to 60fps and see very little tearing, while another could average 30-40 or well over 60 and see tearing out the wazoo. It's not a game dependent thing like you see on consoles.

I_D

Teetris said:

Nikorasu said:
Well, in actuality, tearing in PC games can differ greatly from person to person. It's entirely due to what framerate it's running at during any given moment (specifically, how close it is to your monitor's refresh rate or a multiple thereof. On a 60 Hz monitor, that is 60/30/15/etc) One person could be averaging close to 60fps and see very little tearing, while another could average 30-40 or well over 60 and see tearing out the wazoo. It's not a game dependent thing like you see on consoles.

You learn something new every day...

I had it in my mind that V-sync limited your framerate to the lowest-common-denominator.
So if you run it at 5fps in one part, and 125fps in another part, all you ever see is 5fps; the idea being that the game appears smooth and consistent all the way through.

DubloSeven said:
Does anyone know why Ubisoft decided to speed up the dialogue in the game? It practically ruins the possibility of enjoying the story at all.
Somebody told me that it was to allow the game to fit on a DVD, but I'm pretty sure that was a console-wars related joke :D

It's a mystery. Ubisoft Montreal really need to outsource (or outsource to someone else) their voice acting requirements. Between the jarring American accent on both Altair and the new Prince of Persia, and the speed-talkers of Far Cry 2, they seem to be in desperate need of better voice acting supervision/management.

The disc space thing is obviously BS. Even though the world is huge I doubt it if it even takes up 2 gigs on the DVD. Since everything is instance and heightmap based there is so very few pieces of single use static geometry and there are no lightmaps in the game at all (because of their time of day system)

They simply sped the dialouge up so it took less time to tell you what you had to do or to give you missions.

EazyB

Banned
Also posted this in the Halo thread, but I recorded some clips of my Halo 3 Valhalla remake that I made using the 360 version of Far Cry's map editor. Beware, the video quality is shit but I hope you guys enjoy it nonetheless.

Link

Really impressed with Far Cry's map editor. Spent around 12-15 hours making the map as it was my first (and only) experience with the editor. More time than I've spent with the actual game. :p

It's a shame more people don't play online but I had a blast making it anyways.

Nizz

So it seems like that PS3 patch that went up took care of my save glitch. It just happened weirdly though. I d/loaded the patch last night (1.02) here in the US, continued from the last save point and at first I thought nothing happened. It stayed a bit at the loading screen, maybe about 20-30 seconds, and then went to the box on the wall where I last saved. It then stayed there frozen for maybe 10-15 seconds but sure enough, it began playing. Haven't had any more trouble since... which is good because I wanted to get back into the game. I'm a little over 50% right now, working in one of those Gamestop pre-order missions while I take care of my next mission. I'm just happy to be playing it again...

Venomous, bitter rant coming up, sorry. I've never played a game I love and hate so much simultaneously. The atmosphere is intoxicating, the gunplay and physics are a blast, driving feels good, the equipment advancement... the fundamentals are so solid. At its best, stalking around picking people off with my dart gun while wind and rain and lashing the foliage, the game is amazing. At its worst, this game just feels totally broken. I've tried hard to find routes and strategies to get me from place to place with a minimum of tedium and annoyance, but I've fought the same little skirmish with pursuing truckloads of assholes 200 times through the course of this game. I thought Assassin's Creed, another fundamentally superb game, had backbreaking design problems, but Ubisoft Montreal actually topped themselves here. Everytime I hear a truck start up behind me, I want to scream.

Lately, perhaps because I'm about 70% through, there are even trucks seemingly materializing out of nowhere to chase me down while I'm sneaking through the woods at night. Or I'll lose trucks behind in a chase, only for them to find me 5 minutes later while I'm trying to be low key. I'm trying to deal with it because the main missions are so fun, but it's hard to swallow. I almost wish I hadn't played the game yet, and waited for a patch or something to cut down the brain numbing tedium.

Warm Machine said:
The disc space thing is obviously BS. Even though the world is huge I doubt it if it even takes up 2 gigs on the DVD. Since everything is instance and heightmap based there is so very few pieces of single use static geometry and there are no lightmaps in the game at all (because of their time of day system)

They simply sped the dialouge up so it took less time to tell you what you had to do or to give you missions.
You're right. The PC Version of this game looks better than any of the other two because of better textures and uses only 3gb on the hdd

revolverjgw said:
Venomous, bitter rant coming up, sorry. I've never played a game I love and hate so much simultaneously. The atmosphere is intoxicating, the gunplay and physics are a blast, driving feels good, the equipment advancement... the fundamentals are so solid. At its best, stalking around picking people off with my dart gun while wind and rain and lashing the foliage, the game is amazing. At its worst, this game just feels totally broken. I've tried hard to find routes and strategies to get me from place to place with a minimum of tedium and annoyance, but I've fought the same little skirmish with pursuing truckloads of assholes 200 times through the course of this game. I thought Assassin's Creed, another fundamentally superb game, had backbreaking design problems, but Ubisoft Montreal actually topped themselves here. Everytime I hear a truck start up behind me, I want to scream.

Lately, perhaps because I'm about 70% through, there are even trucks seemingly materializing out of nowhere to chase me down while I'm sneaking through the woods at night. Or I'll lose trucks behind in a chase, only for them to find me 5 minutes later while I'm trying to be low key. I'm trying to deal with it because the main missions are so fun, but it's hard to swallow. I almost wish I hadn't played the game yet, and waited for a patch or something to cut down the brain numbing tedium.
Oh, I'm almost certain they do because I caught the game cheating at least twice.

First time went like this: I had some schmo chase me in a regular white car while I was fleeing with a combat vehicle. I looked behind me to see if he was still chasing me, and right then I saw him crash against the side of a bridge. When I looked back in front of me, I saw the same white car appear in front of me out of nowhere! I quickly got out and disposed of him with my rocket launcher, because that was such bullshit.

Second time I caught the game cheating was when I spotted a RPG-wielding soldier equipped on some high ground. He noticed me too, so he foolishly fired a rocket in my direction even though we weren't even close to each other. I obviously saw it coming from a mile away, but then I noticed how its trajectory changed mid-air while I was strafing to the side...

I really hope they spend a lot more attention to the A.I. next time around (if there'll be a Far Cry 3). It single-handedly ruins the game in certain ways.

Nizz

So the game gets tougher (cheaper) the further in you get? All I know is last night I accepted a mission from the gun shop to take out a convoy. I caught up with the convoy and just tailed it till I got close enough, then I thought I'll just jump out and take the truck out with my rocket launcher... I missed. Then I jumped back in the jeep but then the convoy didn't even show up on my map. I then went back to the gun shop and the dude offered me the same job again. Huh? I then found the same convoy but it seems now, like the last time I tried, the truck has nitrous out of "Fast & the Furious" because my jeep couldn't catch up... :lol Oh man...

It does get much harder in vehicles. Mortars start dropping more, RPG guys are out there more often, and certain vehicles have those slow firing but high damage turrets on them.

Warm Machine said:
It does get much harder in vehicles. Mortars start dropping more, RPG guys are out there more often, and certain vehicles have those slow firing but high damage turrets on them.
Some enemy vehicles (including boats) also come equipped with grenade launchers. Fortunately you can steal them and they're available at safe houses if you've earned enough respect (level 4 I believe).

Nizz

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of mortars lately. I heard this whistling and I thought damn, that doesn't sound good. Then boom, a blast goes off a few feet next to me, almost completely wiping out my health. I like those different turrets on the jeeps now. First time I fired one I was expecting the same rapid fire but then it was just a "boom" and I thought wow, I like these! I actually look for the jeeps with those turrets now...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just impulse bought this based on 3 friends buying the PS3 version. Does this have trophy support? And how long has the PS3 patch been out because it asked me to patch a 22MB file when I first booted it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The voice acting speed is definitely not a disc space issue.

Far Cry 2 takes up 3.3 GB in my Steam directory.

Or maybe I should say...

Thevoiceactingspeedisdefinitelynotadiscspaceissue.

FarCry2takesup3.3GBinmySteamdirectory.

Great gamebut I've been hit with the bug that effectively stops lettingyou takeon cellular tower missions. It's annoyed me but I'll just get on with the story stuff now.

Now I have the saved game bug. My save of 62% just locks the console up when trying to load it. It's pretty common looking over on the official forums. I'm rather pissed off.

Ledsen

Lonesome_Raod said:
Now I have the saved game bug. My save of 62% just locks the console up when trying to load it. It's pretty common looking over on the official forums. I'm rather pissed off.

I actually haven't heard of a single person playing on 360 not getting the bug when they're about 60-70% through.

ElyrionX

web01 said:
So did anyone see there is new DLC coming for the game?

Couple new vehicles and weapons including get this.. silenced shotgun.

http://kotaku.com/5095885/far-cry-2-fortunes-pack-expands-your-arsenal

They're releasing DL-fucking-C when there's not even any news at all about a patch to fix the bug that is breaking everyone's game? WTF is this shit? I've stopped playing completely at about 10% because I'm waiting for the bug to be fixed. I don't want to stumble upon it accidentally and have it ruin my game completely.

Ledsen said:
Did you do most or all of the side missions?
I think I did at least half of them in total. I completed most of the weapon merchant missions, a few assassination missions (the one you trigger by going to one of those cellphone antenna's), some Black Hand missions and a couple of Buddy missions. I stopped doing those in the long run though because they hardly provided any worthwhile variation.

I did switch between two save files (and ONLY those two) every time the game allowed me to save (be it automatic like after a bus ride or manual), but I'm not sure if that would make any difference.

cluto

Ledsen said:
I actually haven't heard of a single person playing on 360 not getting the bug when they're about 60-70% through.
I never encountered the bug. Finished the story; finished all weapon, cell tower, and underground missions; unlocked every safe house and scouted every guard post; subverted all main faction missions. My game completion progress was well over 70% when I finished the game. All on a single save file.

Do I win?

Exarchos said:
I never encountered the bug. Finished the story; finished all weapon, cell tower, and underground missions; unlocked every safe house and scouted every guard post; subverted all main faction missions. My game completion progress was well over 70% when I finished the game. All on a single save file.

Do I win?
Yes, a winner is you. You have defeated the evil forces of Ubisoft QA. Rest easy now hero.

Ledsen

MicVlaD said:
I think I did at least half of them in total. I completed most of the weapon merchant missions, a few assassination missions (the one you trigger by going to one of those cellphone antenna's), some Black Hand missions and a couple of Buddy missions. I stopped doing those in the long run though because they hardly provided any worthwhile variation.

I did switch between two save files (and ONLY those two) every time the game allowed me to save (be it automatic like after a bus ride or manual), but I'm not sure if that would make any difference.

Number of saves doesn't matter, happens to everyone. Seems like it usually happens at 60-70% if you do every side mission.

Exarchos said:

Do I win?

You do indeed :(

Ledsen said:

I never had the bug.

As for DLC for this game I think thematically if they did a poacher set of missions where dudes were killing off the wildlife on the map and you had to stop them it would be pretty cool. Add some elephants in there for the ivory trade, put some lions in there as predatory element and then use locations like the slaughterhouse that you have to wipeout completely.

Have a dynamically color coded change to the map that shows wildlife density in various areas and completion of that SP campaign with highest animal survival rate would result in the player grading.

There is so much in that pre established environment that they could do.

Nizz

LiquidMetal14 said:
Just impulse bought this based on 3 friends buying the PS3 version. Does this have trophy support? And how long has the PS3 patch been out because it asked me to patch a 22MB file when I first booted it.
Yes, the game has trophy support. This is actually the first game that I've ever gotten trophies for. I think that 22mb patch has something to do with multiplayer. I'm not too sure. The more recent patch (1.02) took care of some issues with the game, like a gold gun not appearing, etc... But this patch most importantly, took care of a save glitch I was experiencing with the game. I'm about 65% progress in the game so far and I'm still digging the game. Like John Davison said on 1up yours, this fps is kinda refreshing in the way you tackle missions, traveling the open world looking for jobs to do... I like the game. ;)

It's good that the PS3 save problems have been fixed, but in a cross platform show of support for my oppressed 360 brethren, I will not buy any DLC until the 360 save glitch is relegated to the annals of history.

fernoca

EazyB said:
Also posted this in the Halo thread, but I recorded some clips of my Halo 3 Valhalla remake that I made using the 360 version of Far Cry's map editor. Beware, the video quality is shit but I hope you guys enjoy it nonetheless.

Link

Really impressed with Far Cry's map editor. Spent around 12-15 hours making the map as it was my first (and only) experience with the editor. More time than I've spent with the actual game. :p

It's a shame more people don't play online but I had a blast making it anyways.
:O!
Awesome..
Did you upload it already? If so..what's the name? Vahalcry too?

Warm Machine said:
I never had the bug.

As for DLC for this game I think thematically if they did a poacher set of missions where dudes were killing off the wildlife on the map and you had to stop them it would be pretty cool. Add some elephants in there for the ivory trade, put some lions in there as predatory element and then use locations like the slaughterhouse that you have to wipeout completely.

Have a dynamically color coded change to the map that shows wildlife density in various areas and completion of that SP campaign with highest animal survival rate would result in the player grading.

There is so much in that pre established environment that they could do.
I imagine they'd get in trouble for adding those poaching missions, but I kept thinking throughout the entire campaign how Far Cry 2 would've been if it had more wildlife. Especially the aggressive kind, like lions and such, whose A.I. you could manipulate in certain ways if you had the proper tools.

I also think that specific elements of MGS 3: Snake Eater would fit well in Far Cry 2 in some fashion, so I really hope Ubi Montreal gets another chance to try and add as much "new" gameplay mechanics as possible in what they have right now.

RPS37

Rented it and was really liking it.
Played for about six hours. Got to a rad safe house with a hang glider. I tried to jump off the cliff with the hang glider. I crashed it.

I went to reload my save file and the game would just freeze.
I put the game back in the gamefly envelope and said, "Nice show, Ubisoft. I'll be back when you patch THAT and the game's 30 bucks."

EazyB

Banned
fernoca said:
:O!
Awesome..
Did you upload it already? If so..what's the name? Vahalcry too?
The map should be uploaded. One version is named exactly Valhalla and is closer to the Halo 3 setup of the map (no tall grass and boring lighting). The other one is named Valhalcry and feels a little more Far Cry-y.

You could always search for it by gamertag, mine being EazyB

Ledsen

Shake Appeal said:
The save bug is so easy to avoid, though.

Why oh why are you not saving in multiple slots? Has years of gaming taught you nothing?

I am. It doesn't help. The bug can corrupt several savegames at once, for example I had my three latest saves corrupted at one point, losing 2-3 hours of progress. The only way to be safe is to save like 4-5 times every time you save, then load each one of the saves until you find one that works, then keep playing. Fuuuuun times!

edit: Oh, maybe I misunderstood you... have you had the bug? Once you get it, it will start to corrupt ALL saves you make, randomly. So every time you save, there's like a 70-80% chance that it will be corrupted. It doesn't just happen once and then stop.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Has there been any word on a patch or a mod for the PC version to remove/fix some of the tedious aspects of the game? I really, really wanna play it but I know the random battles, malaria, and weapon degradation will irritate me to no end.

Ledsen

Minotauro said:
Has there been any word on a patch or a mod for the PC version to remove/fix some of the tedious aspects of the game? I really, really wanna play it but I know the random battles, malaria, and weapon degradation will irritate me to no end.

The random battles, sure. But the others? The malaria is a non-issue, I have no idea why people ever cared about it. In the beginning you will get an attack maybe once every two hours (and it lasts maybe all of 5 seconds), and as the game progresses the symptoms almost disappear completely and the attacks become even more rare. The weapon degradation is nothing to worry about either, since bought weapons you get from your weapons shed take a long time to degrade to the point where they start jamming. When you do pick up enemies weapons, yes they jam but why did you do it? You're supposed to buy your own, you even get an unlimited supply of every weapon you purchased. So there's really no reason to ever use jamming weapons.

I think the malaria attacks are scripted between certain missions and as long as you get more pills after you run out you'll never have a problem with it. There is an achievement to unlock all of the underground locations anyway.

Top Bottom