• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Ledsen said:
The random battles, sure. But the others? The malaria is a non-issue, I have no idea why people ever cared about it. In the beginning you will get an attack maybe once every two hours (and it lasts maybe all of 5 seconds), and as the game progresses the symptoms almost disappear completely and the attacks become even more rare. The weapon degradation is nothing to worry about either, since bought weapons you get from your weapons shed take a long time to degrade to the point where they start jamming. When you do pick up enemies weapons, yes they jam but why did you do it? You're supposed to buy your own, you even get an unlimited supply of every weapon you purchased. So there's really no reason to ever use jamming weapons.
While it didn't annoy me, I thought the malaria gimmick was rather pointless to be honest. I think Ubi Montreal only added it because they thought it'd enhance the immersion of the game, even though it doesn't really influence the gameplay in any way after a while. Case in point: I ran out of pills once (and IIRC I couldn't heal myself for a second time until I finished one of those Black Hand missions) and absolutely nothing happened when I didn't - or should I say: couldn't - take any medications. Sure, it was written in the notebook that I had a level 4 fever by then, but hardly anything (if nothing) changed about my character. Might've been more interesting if your character's endurance / aim / et cetera decreased if you didn't take care of yourself.

Ledsen said:
I am. It doesn't help. The bug can corrupt several savegames at once, for example I had my three latest saves corrupted at one point, losing 2-3 hours of progress. The only way to be safe is to save like 4-5 times every time you save, then load each one of the saves until you find one that works, then keep playing. Fuuuuun times!

edit: Oh, maybe I misunderstood you... have you had the bug? Once you get it, it will start to corrupt ALL saves you make, randomly. So every time you save, there's like a 70-80% chance that it will be corrupted. It doesn't just happen once and then stop.
I had a situation where a savegame wouldn't load, it froze everytime on the 'Loading...' screen. I loaded an earlier save, drove to a different location, saved there, and never experienced the problem again.

MMaRsu

Just chiming in, I finished the game weeks ago and never encountered the save bug either. I always saved in a new slot, never over an older save.

Didn't do all the side missions.

When I saw I hit around 60% I just kept playing till I hit over 70% I think :lol

Hey guys, I got a question.

I just rented that game, along with Bioshock on ps3. I've been playing farcry for about 5hours and so far am feeling aggravated with the backtracking and all the guard posts. I'm wondering if i'm wasting my time with this game.

Is it possible to finish the game by sticking only to the main story and avoiding all side missions? Is it possible to avoid some of the guard posts, or do you absolutely need to fight your way through every single one of them every time?

so far, this plays like Mercenaries, only that i'm wasting 90% of my time trying to get to the god damn objectives. Will it get better if i stick only to the main story?

cluto

Use boats and buses to avoid pretty much every guard post. You can finish the story without doing any of the side missions, but you should do the weapon merchant missions to unlock more guns. More guns = better.

Mr Spliff

Has anyone, or rather, is anyone going to get the DLC? It looks kind of pricey, but since I play a rather intense stealth game, the silenced shotgun is tempting as well as the new vehicles. I'd just like to know of anyone's experience with it. Do you have to "buy" the weapons in game or is it already provided to you by the arms dealer? And do the new vehicles give you any advantage/more pleasure over the shit you have to drive in the game (buggy excluded)?

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
FWIW, I ended up picking up the PC version at a closeout sale at Circuit City for 30% off today. I'm excited to start playing...

TTG

Mr Spliff said:
Has anyone, or rather, is anyone going to get the DLC? It looks kind of pricey, but since I play a rather intense stealth game, the silenced shotgun is tempting as well as the new vehicles. I'd just like to know of anyone's experience with it. Do you have to "buy" the weapons in game or is it already provided to you by the arms dealer? And do the new vehicles give you any advantage/more pleasure over the shit you have to drive in the game (buggy excluded)?

The only thing mildly interesting are the crossbow and the quad but both of those sound like a variation on the dart rifle and the buggy.

I will go back to the level editor ofcourse, just have to get through the other games I need to play.

I'm about two hours in and loving it.

Quick question.

I found an antenna and the box and tried to access it but couldn't. I'm worried I have that glitch. Or do I need to meet with someone first to start those missions? It's probably the second one, but I get worried reading about all these bugs. PS3 version BTW.

Gracias.

CartridgeBlower said:
I'm about two hours in and loving it.

Quick question.

I found an antenna and the box and tried to access it but couldn't. I'm worried I have that glitch. Or do I need to meet with someone first to start those missions? It's probably the second one, but I get worried reading about all these bugs. PS3 version BTW.

Gracias.

If you are currently on mission you can't access the phone boxes. When you do, you have to hit select or whatever on PS3 to use your cel and take the call.

ElyrionX said:
:lol :lol :lol

800 points for three weapons, two vehicles and four mp maps?

Ubisoft is the new Scamco confirmed.
If we were to compare the two, Scamco would never give away that 'much' in a single content pack. See Soul Calibur IV DLC (Darth Vader = 400 MS Points).

Nizz

Lol at thread title change! :lol The crossbow and quad from the DLC content interest me but I don't know about the price. Does Ubisoft usually make content free later? Or at least a little cheaper? I'm at 81% through the game right now and those checkpoints are starting to get harder and harder. Mortars, eagle eyed enemies, hungry jeeps....

Shawsie64

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
I'm guessing it will be free for the PC.

either free, modded or extremely cheap.

edit: i like this game but i don't really have time for all the checkpoints/driving but in saying that the atmosphere is awesome!.. i really gotta get stuck into it when i get the chance.

Ledsen

ChrisGoldstein said:
I just got it yesterday, didnt know about the saved game glitch...what is it exactly?

It mainly happens on 360. What happens is this:

When you load up a save, around 60-70% into the game, the loading screen may freeze, which means your save is broken... if this happens, RUN FOR COVER.

But no, seriously, if it happens, go back to an old save (maybe a couple of hours before) and try to do things in a different order or something. If you don't, chances are ALL saves you make from that point on will be corrupt, which means you won't be able to play the game at all. This is what happened to me, and a whole lot of other people as well. So save in many different slots (two won't be enough since it can corrupt even your old saves), and if you encounter the bug, load an old save and PRAY that you won't continue getting corrupted saves from then on. Going back is no guarantee you aren't stuck with the bug forever though.

In all honesty, I would recommend not playing the game at all until it's patched, because it's broken as fuck and you will be pissed if your game goes to shit.

There are also a few other bugs. At 27% or 88%, you may be unable to continue playing the main story because a door you have to pass through won't open. If this happens, again, you're fucked.

Ledsen said:
There are also a few other bugs. At 27% or 88%, you may be unable to continue playing the main story because a door you have to pass through won't open. If this happens, again, you're fucked.

I had this happen and I wasn't fucked. I went and completed a mission off the main story and the door magically was open after that.

voltron

Anyone know any tricks for those annoying guard posts that wont unlock no matter how much you 'scout' them?

Ive come across at least 2 that I cant scout now.

Mister D

After you kill everyone, keep walking around the area checking stuff. You have to find the item that guard post stocks for the game to consider it scouted. I've found some where I had to go by the gasoline cans to actually scout them although I don't know what the hell I use the gas for in the game.

As for the game, I'm liking it and fucking hating it at the same time. They do so much right and at the same time, do so much stupid shit to make you despise it and want to punch everyone involved with the game in their sex organs. I'll keep plugging away at it for a while since going on foot, driving offroad more often, taking boats, and my upgraded dart rifle with 19 darts along with the silenced MP5 and M79 grenade launcher make clearing out guardposts and patrol jeeps quick work.

I dart rifled everyone at a guard post and then got to high ground and blasted the crap out of two patrol jeeps while the one patrol car that was driving by tried to come after me and ran over one dude before I gave him a healthy dose of M79 loving. The multiplayer still sucks though so I'll stick to COD4 for that. I doubt I'll finish the game though since once I get to the boiling point of frustration with it, I'm just going to quit and get into Fallout 3 and once I start playing that game I doubt I'll want to come back to Far cry 2.

Ledsen

Warm Machine said:
I had this happen and I wasn't fucked. I went and completed a mission off the main story and the door magically was open after that.

Ok, I didn't get that bug so I didn't know.

Mister D said:
After you kill everyone, keep walking around the area checking stuff. You have to find the item that guard post stocks for the game to consider it scouted. I've found some where I had to go by the gasoline cans to actually scout them although I don't know what the hell I use the gas for in the game.

I believe gas is ammo for Molotovs, the flamer and a few other things.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
EazyB said:
What does that do?

Makes fixing your jeep like a gazillion times faster.

If I make one save on the HDD, then one on the memory card, and go between them for each save, do you think I'll be in good shape for bug avoidance?

Barakov

McBacon said:

If I make one save on the HDD, then one on the memory card, and go between them for each save, do you think I'll be in good shape for bug avoidance?

I never encountered the bug on my playthrough and I kept two saves on the HDD. I never tried what seems like what you are asking about, but that seems like a good plan.

Ledsen

McBacon said:

No one knows why the bug happens, so yeah, no idea. Maybe you'll get it, maybe not.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I picked up the PS3 Limited Edition on Friday. I'm impressed so far. I'm getting "Stalker in a jungle" vibes (but the fact that the guns feel powerful and there are vehicles put this far above Stalker).

One complaint is that one of my buddies died after a subversion mission, but the game gave no indication of him dying or anything. It was only when I returned back to the bar that I realised that ol' Josip was no more.

Haunted

voltron said:
Anyone know any tricks for those annoying guard posts that wont unlock no matter how much you 'scout' them?

Ive come across at least 2 that I cant scout now.
Had that happen to me as well. I've stopped scouting CPs completely because of that, I just rush through them now and pity the guys stupid enough to follow me. Or simply ignore them/steal a car when I'm on foot.

That bug really impacted how I tackled checkpoints in the game. Is there a substantial perk/reward for scouting checkpoints?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
industrian said:
One complaint is that one of my buddies died after a subversion mission, but the game gave no indication of him dying or anything. It was only when I returned back to the bar that I realised that ol' Josip was no more.

What did you want it to do? Start a mission where you go buy flowers for his funeral?

I'm absolutely loving this game. I don't mind the driving sections at all. I've only played for about 5 hours so far though...I'm sure later on it might get annoying. I got it for $32 at Best Buy but I had no expectations going in. It's definitely not a game you can play for less than an hour at a time though because if you play for less you're going to be frustrated when the majority of your time is spent driving to your mission and you might not even complete one. I'm taking my time and having a blast "exploring" and just soaking it all in.

The forced driving to missions reminds me of Mafia which is one of my all time favorites. If you can get into the story (in this case that basically means the environment/situation since there's not much story at all) I think that rather than being a negative, the driving can become a source of a lot of the fun ...

In my case I think they really nailed the feel of Africa and it makes me want to keep coming back and exploring it. I just sat down to play it for an hour and it ended up being two :lol . I have finals to study for too! :(

Truant

I'm 20 hours in and still in love. Sure, it has problems, but I'm really digging the game world. It looks absolutely gorgeous on my TV, and I prefer it to playing the PC version which I tested for a bit.

Unlocked all the weapons, though. Wish there were more.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They should have expanded vehicular combat if they wanted to put so much focus on driving from point a to b. Interstate 76 had similar scenarios but it never got boring.

maxax

Does the PS3 version have any crippling bugs or disadvantages?
Just ordered it and would like to know what I'm in for.

carlosp

Banned
Just got the PS3 version. First of all hell there is a lot of tearing in this game. As soon as you start to look arround fast the screen tearing starts, though in the combat it self I didnt see any.

Besides the game still looks too sharp for me which is not good in my eyes. I like a more blurry look specialy since the game plays in Africa and there should be more blur effect to recreate the heat your character feels.

Anyways my first Far Cry game and i am looking forward to what is to come. Hoped the graphics where more like RS1 :(

Kritz

Banned
Far Cry 2 has been one of those games I've kept on the sidelines over other games such as Fable and Fallout and pretty much everything else. But each time I go back into it, I can't get over how much I enjoy playing it and how much I enjoy looking at it.

I'd post screenshots, but I can't find a good way to compress the screenshots down from 3mb each into something that still looks as good. But transitioning between an orange glow dusk to a bright blue day is so awesome.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
carlosp said:
Just got the PS3 version. First of all hell there is a lot of tearing in this game. As soon as you start to look arround fast the screen tearing starts, though in the combat it self I didnt see any.

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't notice tearing? If someone points it out to me (or I actively look for it) I'll see it, but if I get engrossed in a game then I don't notice it at all.

carlosp said:
Anyways my first Far Cry game and i am looking forward to what is to come.

FarCry 1 is still recommended. Even if the Trigens fuck it up. It's a whole different ballgame to FC2 though.

carlosp said:
Hoped the graphics where more like RS1 :(

Runescape?
That's all that Google told me

carlosp

Banned
industrian said:
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't notice tearing? If someone points it out to me (or I actively look for it) I'll see it, but if I get engrossed in a game then I don't notice it at all.

On what Kind of TV or you playing the game? Sometimes games have no tearing on SDTV but on LCDs. If you want to see some tearing just turn around fast and look at the top 20% of your screen.

industrian said:
FarCry 1 is still recommended. Even if the Trigens fuck it up.
Unfortunately the game only came out on PC/Xbox. Even if I have a "gaming PC" (Dual Core, 8600) there is no display connected to it and I don't use it. And I never had a xbox hehe[/QUOTE]

industrian said:
Runescape?
That's all that Google told me

Resistance 1. It had some of the cleanest graphics and runs so smoothly. One reason why i gave up PC gaming years ago was I never wanted to worry about the performance. This gen i have to deal with that once again haha

industrian said:

I tend to notice and loathe tearing, but I really didn't notice it much in this game. (PS3)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
carlosp said:
Resistance 1. It had some of the cleanest graphics and runs so smoothly. One reason why i gave up PC gaming years ago was I never wanted to worry about the performance. This gen i have to deal with that once again haha

You want sun soaked Africa to look like alien-devestated Manchester? O...k....

Top Bottom