• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Oh god lads, I know you guys reccomended it, but I've only gone and bought a right turd

Seriously, I couldn't even find it in stores for some time, and I waited for a price drop for ages

But I finally got it, it seemed like the perfect blend of everything I would like it

But it sucks

I mean, its so innacurate, the scope hardly zooms far at all and the unjam animation takes forever. I just wasted like 20 freaking diamonds!

Truant

McBacon said:
Oh god lads, I know you guys reccomended it, but I've only gone and bought a right turd

Seriously, I couldn't even find it in stores for some time, and I waited for a price drop for ages

But I finally got it, it seemed like the perfect blend of everything I would like it

But it sucks

I mean, its so innacurate, the scope hardly zooms far at all and the unjam animation takes forever. I just wasted like 20 freaking diamonds!

:lol

Seriously, the game is a turd because it's slightly realistic?

No45

McBacon said:

But it sucks

I came into the game off of the back of Bioshock and Dead Space, both of which have sublime controls, and I really struggled to get into this. The control didn't feel right, to such an extent that I found any combat challenging.

I've played for a little longer now though and it's clicked, totally. Still don't like the fact that everyone is out to get me, but other than that I'm really enjoying just roaming the landscape, unlocking safehouses and finding the diamonds.

Give it a chance. :)

ALSO: If you approach fire fights from cover, weapon jamming isn't that much of a problem.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Joke failed, nevermind.

I just found a tree that was bent over and had some of its branches in a stream. The water dissapated and rippled as it hit the branch, in a few even streaks, before returning to normal.

I watched it for minutes.

And then I walked away and zoomed in with my monocular to make sure I could still see it from a distance.

And I could.

Truant

The stuff that the engine is able to draw from a distance is incredible. I love looking out over a huge grassy plain and see the grass swaying everywhere.

Arnie

Just bought the game off amazon for £24. I'm probably going to put it away for the joys of christmas day along with LBP and PoP. Do you know if any devs have suggested they are working on a patch which will stop the random battles thing when you are driving and you suddenly get attacked?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
carlosp said:
Unfortunately the game only came out on PC/Xbox. Even if I have a "gaming PC" (Dual Core, 8600) there is no display connected to it and I don't use it. And I never had a xbox hehe

Actually, FarCry only came out on the PC. Crytek never touched the Xbox.

carlosp said:
Resistance 1. It had some of the cleanest graphics and runs so smoothly. One reason why i gave up PC gaming years ago was I never wanted to worry about the performance. This gen i have to deal with that once again haha

That's the first time I've ever seen someone abbreviate Resistance as RS1. But nevermind. Resistance 1 looked good because it was never really pushing the envelope. Considering everything that's going on in FarCry 2, I'm surprised the console versions look as good as they do (which is: much better than Resistance.)

KrawlMan

:lol at whoever changed the thread Title...perfectly fitting.

I still haven't finished the game :-/ I got about 20~ hours into the game and suddenly had absolutely no desire to continue. Decent game overall, but it starts to get extremely repetitive.

I'll probably come back to it after I wear myself out on Left 4 Dead <3

No45

-ARNiE- said:
Do you know if any devs have suggested they are working on a patch which will stop the random battles thing when you are driving and you suddenly get attacked?
Unless there's something I'm missing, that's not a bug. You just come across another car every now and again and they attack you, like everything else in the game.

I'm not the biggest fan of the way this is done, personally I'd like to be able to avoid combat occasionally, but I can imagine they'd get similarly crucified if they didn't have it, by people complaining there's not enough to do. Damned if you do, etc.

Truant said:
The stuff that the engine is able to draw from a distance is incredible. I love looking out over a huge grassy plain and see the grass swaying everywhere.

Recently got back into FarCry 2. I caved and bought the DLC btw. That crossbow is pretty cool.

FarCry is oddly enough can be a very ugly and a very beautiful game in certain places. Tried out the multiplayer for the first time also. Meh.

A lot of good ideas but it doesn't come together as a cohesive whole unfortunately. Still enjoying the single player though which is rare from me in a shooter.

ezekial45

Banned
KrawlMan said:
:lol at whoever changed the thread Title...perfectly fitting.

I still haven't finished the game :-/ I got about 20~ hours into the game and suddenly had absolutely no desire to continue. Decent game overall, but it starts to get extremely repetitive.

I guess you should change your avatar. :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
KrawlMan said:

I've got to the Southern area just
after breaking the cease-fire and helping the guy on the boat who was being attacked
and I can see the same thing happening to me now - especially since I just bought Valkyria Chronicles. Right now it'll just be going through all the areas of the maps unlocking all the Safe Houses, hitting convoys and doing the intercepted missions. I don't mind it, because the core mechanics of the game (shooting and driving) are enjoyable.

Can someone tell me
if my buddies from the Northern area are still alive? They all seemed to get whacked during the defence of Mike's Bar and are shown in the Pause Menu as being "Missing." I don't want Marty to die. :(

industrian said:
I've got to the Southern area just
after breaking the cease-fire and helping the guy on the boat who was being attacked
and I can see the same thing happening to me now - especially since I just bought Valkyria Chronicles. Right now it'll just be going through all the areas of the maps unlocking all the Safe Houses, hitting convoys and doing the intercepted missions. I don't mind it, because the core mechanics of the game (shooting and driving) are enjoyable.

Can someone tell me
if my buddies from the Northern area are still alive? They all seemed to get whacked during the defence of Mike's Bar and are shown in the Pause Menu as being "Missing." I don't want Marty to die. :(

Keep playing.
They're a factor later on....

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
McBacon said:

But it sucks

:lol I'm confused - are you talking about the game or a gun?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Got it with the buy 2 get 1 free at gstop, honestly I hated the beginning. I love the far cry instincts on the box so I'm disappointed you cant use any of those feral powers or whatever. Seems like a decent game but I wished I had gotten cod waw instead.

--Shouldve read this thread more

cluto

ChrisGoldstein said:
Got it with the buy 2 get 1 free at gstop, honestly I hated the beginning. I love the far cry instincts on the box so I'm disappointed you cant use any of those feral powers or whatever. Seems like a decent game but I wished I had gotten cod waw instead.

Wow dude, you are all kinds of fucked up.

newsguy

McBacon said:

But it sucks

:lol Reading this the first time sounds like you mean the game. Reading it again sounds like you mean a gun in the game. Is it both?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Exarchos said:
Wow dude, you are all kinds of fucked up.

24ox9qe.png

Haunted

ChrisGoldstein said:

You definitely should have. Far Cry 2 has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with Far Cry 1.

Except the brand name Ubi decided to slap on the cover of course. >_<

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
B-Genius said:
:lol I'm confused - are you talking about the game or a gun?

newsguy said:
:lol Reading this the first time sounds like you mean the game. Reading it again sounds like you mean a gun in the game. Is it both?

:p

Its that damn gun with a greendot, I had been looking forward to using it for so long, and finally unlocked it in the shop, and i find it really inaccurate.

I stand outside a safehouse shooting tins and cans and bottles and it hardly hits them.

But yeah, incredible game - best shooter in a long ass game.

McBacon said:
Its that damn gun with a greendot, I had been looking forward to using it for so long, and finally unlocked it in the shop, and i find it really inaccurate.

I stand outside a safehouse shooting tins and cans and bottles and it hardly hits them.
Did you buy its upgrades? One of them improves accuracy.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Haunted said:
You definitely should have. Far Cry 2 has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with Far Cry 1.

Except the brand name Ubi decided to slap on the cover of course. >_<

they advertise this damn game in all the fucking billboards in the main plaza on Home so they got to me man!

looked awesome in the previews, guess i'll put it in the backlog cos it at least seems like a long game

Nizz

One of my favorite assault rifles right now is the... watch me mess the name up...FAL Paratrooper rifle. I believe that's the name. That rifle is pretty sweet imo. Like the iron sight on it. Has anyone ever used the mortar weapon? I've had the diamonds needed to buy it but I always skip over it for something else. Like the RPG and rocket launcher. And I've recently "discovered" the grenade launcher that goes in your handgun/sub-machine gun slot. Woooh, good times with that weapon! ;) I've only touched the multiplayer once and it was alright, nothing really special. I want to fool around with the map editor though.

*edit* WTF at McBacon! :lol :lol

JBuccCP

I tried to use the mortar to kill that guy
giving the speech before you leave the first area
. I hit like 200 feet behind him. I don't see how you'd use that thing effectively.

Truant

The mortar is so hard to use properly. For convoys, I just hide in a bush and spam grenades in the general direction until I get the 'Mission Complete' message :lol

Haunted

Truant said:
The mortar is so hard to use properly. For convoys, I just hide in a bush and spam grenades in the general direction until I get the 'Mission Complete' message :lol

Grenades are really powerful in this game.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Truant said:

You need to use your mine! With the little detonation kit!

Question. On the "main" missions (either UFLL or ABL) what is the difference between completing the original objective or the "buddy's" suggestion? It always says on my objective screen "Or visit X to see if he has a better deal" but whenever I do that I have no idea if it's really a better deal...I just accept his mission because I traveled all that way and I'm not going to just go back. I know if I ignore his call and just do the regular Red objective my relationship with my friend goes down.

Basically...what do I gain by choosing one option over another? Does it affect achievements? Reputation? And what is Reputation? lol...so many things I don't get but I'm 9 hours in and loving it.

TheLegendary said:
Basically...what do I gain by choosing one option over another? Does it affect achievements? Reputation? And what is Reputation? lol...so many things I don't get but I'm 9 hours in and loving it.

If you do the buddy missions your safehouses get upgraded.

I've been coming back to this game every now and then and steadily progressing, and I like it a hella better the more I play it (playing it in short chunks is probably doing wonders towards that). Also, they fixed the clunky aiming on PC and the shooting feels perfectly solid now (they probably fixed this ages ago but I only noticed when I booted it up again a week and half ago). Wish I would have waited for a price drop since I still haven't finished it and it was so cheap recently, but hell, its a very good shooter.

TheLegendary said:
So I get like ammo and health packs in there?

And what would be the benefit of following the red/main objective?

None except that you don't have to do the buddy objective, so it's easier and you don't have to bail out your buddy at the end. You pretty much always want to do the buddy objectives because you'll eventually have full health, ammo, grenades, molotovs, and upgraded vehicles at all your safehouses.

Cruzader

Banned
guys got this game recently for PS3.(25 of Amazon!!!) Anyways I noticed the Limited Edition/CE has a few more missions in it. Will those mission become DLC down the road or is there a code on the webs that unlocks them? Not sure if it has been answered yet here but i'd appreciate the help.

Finally starting to put some time into this game. It's pretty dope. Yeah the AI isn't great but it's not bad. It does the minimum I need to create a fun environment where the AI can lose you and you can still play stealthy. Shooting exploding areas makes me feel like Rambo also so that helps. I wish there was a more RPG feel where you didn't have to fight and had different ways to solve some of the missions but for what it is I like it. I feel like a cool sniper roaming the land and the open ended nature of the landscape creates some fun unique situations.

My Amazon Black Friday copy just came in today, and eh..I want to like it, I really do. When it works it works amazingly, and I actually like traversing the map heading to objectives and briefing points. The problem for me comes when I die, especially now that my first rescue buddy died. Dying after driving for a few minutes and having to restart back at the save point is such a pain, especially doing it 2-4 times in a row. Other than that the game is a gem, but I'm not fond of how it works to punish you ever step.

Top Bottom