• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I was interested in this game but the level of disappointment in this thread is too large. Farcry 2 am dud.

I recommend crysis for those who have a decent PC. :p

otake said:
I was interested in this game but the level of disappointment in this thread is too large. Farcry 2 am dud.

I enjoy crysis but there is certainly enough of a difference here for me to enjoy this also.

otake said:

Dude, most of the 'dissapointment' is the usual flopping that comes with all good games. Seriously, give it a try, especially on PC.

Wait so that save glitch is only for the PS3 version? I've made about a hundred saves so far because I was afraid I'd lose my spot. I have the 360 version.

And I don't know if that was sarcasm above but this game is ridiculously fun. I've played about 10 hours and I'm only about 22% done. I don't see myself getting bored any time soon either.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
MaritalWheat said:
Dude, most of the 'dissapointment' is the usual flopping that comes with all good games. Seriously, give it a try, especially on PC.

I really wish there was a demo.

Nizz

TheLegendary said:
Wait so that save glitch is only for the PS3 version? I've made about a hundred saves so far because I was afraid I'd lose my spot. I have the 360 version.

And I don't know if that was sarcasm above but this game is ridiculously fun. I've played about 10 hours and I'm only about 22% done. I don't see myself getting bored any time soon either.
That save glitch can affect PS3 and 360 versions of the game, though it seems to happen more often on 360. Ledsen who posts here was one of the first to have it happen to him on 360. I also got the save glitch on my PS3 too. But after one of the last updates, it took care of it. Not too sure if it's been patched for 360 yet...

Cruzader

Banned
Thanx to a great gaffer who told me about the bonus missions. I read in this thread the latest PS3 patch too care of the save glith so Im set to go!!

There better be more DLC. I will pay hefty sums for some decent stuff, Ubi. Hefty sums....

But the key word is decent. I will not buy that excuse they have for DLC thats up right now.

Ledsen

fps fanatic said:
That save glitch can affect PS3 and 360 versions of the game, though it seems to happen more often on 360. Ledsen who posts here was one of the first to have it happen to him on 360. I also got the save glitch on my PS3 too. But after one of the last updates, it took care of it. Not too sure if it's been patched for 360 yet...

It's not unfortunately :(

TheLegendary said:
I know I downloaded a patch but I'm not sure what it did. Guess I'll just keep saving. Thanks.

Keep an eye out between 60-70%. That's when the bug starts happening for most people.

Ledsen said:
It's not unfortunately :(

Keep an eye out between 60-70%. That's when the bug starts happening for most people.

Crap. I'm only at about 28%. That's going to be a lot of saves :lol . I guess I can delete some of my earlier ones although I know I've heard you can't necessarily go back to the previous mission to make it work. But I think my earliest ones are safe to get rid of. Right? :/

nyong

Banned
Has anyone purchased the DLC for the PS3 version? I'm debating on it, depending on how many people are playing on the new MP maps. Multiplayer sans DLC is pretty sparse. It's doubtful I will see most of the trophies. Oh well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Definitely give it a try. It took about 4 hours to click with me, but it clicked. I'm also playing on PS3 and I think it's a great port.

I also caved and bought the PS3 version yesterday. I just got to Mike's Bar. So what's the best strategy to complete missions? The first few missions I couldn't do any stealth kills. No strategy that would've allowed me to do so, so I just picked a nice spot and killed all the enemies. Is it even possible to quietly kill everyone during a mission or are you guys just thinking of different ways to enter a villiage and cause hell?

Kibbles

It's a shame the MP is so bad in this game, with such a great map editor. :( Hopefully the next Far Cry will make a great improvement in that area to compete with games like Halo and the Call of Duty series.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I also caved and bought the PS3 version yesterday. I just got to Mike's Bar. So what's the best strategy to complete missions? The first few missions I couldn't do any stealth kills. No strategy that would've allowed me to do so, so I just picked a nice spot and killed all the enemies. Is it even possible to quietly kill everyone during a mission or are you guys just thinking of different ways to enter a villiage and cause hell?
You can get a silenced submachine gun that makes being stealthy a whole lot easier. Save up some diamonds for it. Also, doing missions at night makes it a lot easier to be stealthy also.

nyong

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Definitely give it a try. It took about 4 hours to click with me, but it clicked. I'm also playing on PS3 and I think it's a great port.

I'm really confused by the people who think Resistance looks better. This is easily the best looking game this generation (imo). There's so much going on, so much detail, and the world is huge.

Apart from the those stupid roaming jeeps and the soon-to-be-nonexistent multiplayer I'm having a good time with it.

A warning to trophy whores, 2 of the bronze CAN be missed in story mode.
Make sure you subvert every single mission. When a buddy calls you up and the mission branches to red or blue, take the blue path every time.

Dibbz

nyong said:
Make sure you subvert every single mission. When a buddy calls you up and the mission branches to red or blue, take the blue path every time.
I realised this to late. I don't think I have the time to go through it again to get a crappy bronse either. :|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
nyong said:
I'm really confused by the people who think Resistance looks better. This is easily the best looking game this generation (imo). There's so much going on, so much detail, and the world is huge.

Apart from the those stupid roaming jeeps and the soon-to-be-nonexistent multiplayer I'm having a good time with it.

This game takes a big dump on Resistance 2's graphics. It has the scale, the texture detail, and, omg, it has a lighting engine. :eek:

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
BobsRevenge said:
You can get a silenced submachine gun that makes being stealthy a whole lot easier. Save up some diamonds for it. Also, doing missions at night makes it a lot easier to be stealthy also.

Getting headshots with the Silenced Makarov is my preferred modus operandi. I always keep the AK-47 just incase I fuck up and get spotted. The silenced MP5 is an accurate beast though, and one of my favourite guns.

comrade

So I watched No Country For Old Men last night and now that silenced shotgun went from totally retarded to cool as shit. Anyone bite and buy the DLC? If so how's the silenced Shotty.:D

industrian

Jason's Ultimatum said:
How about a silenced handgun? Any good?

Just above you ;). The Silenced Makarov does it's job well as long as you're professional about it and only go for headshots.

comrade said:
So I watched No Country For Old Men last night and now that silenced shotgun went from totally retarded to cool as shit. Anyone bite and buy the DLC? If so how's the silenced Shotty.:D

I've not used the silenced shotgun yet, but the crossbow w/ explosive arrows is awesome, and the double barrelled shotgun is a one-hit-kill machine.

industrian said:
Just above you ;). The Silenced Makarov does it's job well as long as you're professional about it and only go for headshots.

I've not used the silenced shotgun yet, but the crossbow w/ explosive arrows is awesome, and the double barrelled shotgun is a one-hit-kill machine.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to take the dive and get the DLC!

Ledsen

Jason's Ultimatum said:

You need the Dart Gun. It's a completely silenced sniper rifle that never alerts other enemies.

Dart Gun made this game 10x more fun in my book. Now I'm really able to be stealthy, at least until a majority of the bad guys are dead. Great game and amazing graphics. Best this gen I really believe. Shame it's being overlooked just because it has a couple frustrating flaws. This game is miles better than Resistance 2. Miles.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
How organic is the enviroment in Far Cry 2? Is there an animal population in the game? Lions, crocodiles, etc. Do they do anything besides standing and posing?
There are no predatorial animals, only things like gazelles and zebras; as for their actions, they are mostly just eye candy but they do run away and things when you approach and if you disturb them and they run towards guards the guards will become alerted, etc.

BobsRevenge

UGH! I want the silenced shotgun so bad. Anyone have word on when that stuff is coming to the PC?

MaritalWheat said:
There are no predatorial animals, only things like gazelles and zebras; as for their actions, they are mostly just eye candy but they do run away and things when you approach and if you disturb them and they run towards guards the guards will become alerted, etc.

There should seriously be at least an option to have predators, or just a massive amount of animals. The game would be a fairly fun safari hunting sim :lol

industrian

Peronthious said:
There should seriously be at least an option to have predators, or just a massive amount of animals. The game would be a fairly fun safari hunting sim :lol

IIRC they originally had predatory animals in it, but they couldn't get the AI right or something. In the end they would just eat every other animal they could and then just starve to death (or something).

That and I'm sure that animal rights groups would have got a bit angry and kicked up a fuss about a game that allows you to shoot lions and tigers in a realistic African environment.

So what's wrong with the A.I. again? The enemies constantly move and try to flank you. You can easily get confused where some are if you move around too much.

BTW, there's no way of carrying more than one weapon assigned to the left d-pad, like a machine gun and sniper rifle? Seems like a rip off. What if I run out of ammo when sniping from a distance and the enemy starts to move towards me?

I'll say one thing about Far Cry 2.

Nothing beats setting an IED for a convoy, waiting a few minutes for it to pass, and hitting the trigger.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
So what's wrong with the A.I. again? The enemies constantly move and try to flank you. You can easily get confused where some are if you move around too much.

BTW, there's no way of carrying more than one weapon assigned to the left d-pad, like a machine gun and sniper rifle? Seems like a rip off. What if I run out of ammo when sniping from a distance and the enemy starts to move towards me?

That's the point of it restricting you. If you want, you can carry a machine gun in the special weapons slot.

nyong said:

What do you mean by subverting. I've seriously missed something in this game x_x. I met some guy at bar didn't say but one thing to him. Next thing I know I'm shot up at some road block and he saves me from the dead. We kill the rest of the guys and I take off then hear "your just going to leave me to die?". I'm like wtf because I'm halfway across the map by now. He dies and the buddy is gone :(. Can someone explain this buddy thing to me please :(.

Oreoleo

DongHungLong said:
What do you mean by subverting. I've seriously missed something in this game x_x. I met some guy at bar didn't say but one thing to him. Next thing I know I'm shot up at some road block and he saves me from the dead. We kill the rest of the guys and I take off then hear "your just going to leave me to die?". I'm like wtf because I'm halfway across the map by now. He dies and the buddy is gone :(. Can someone explain this buddy thing to me please :(.

I think by subvert he just means to do the optional buddy side-objective that comes along with every campaign mission. The game keeps track of how many times you've done a mission/helped/ignored a call from or for a buddy. The buddy with the most positive rep so to speak will be the one that gives you the info for the sub-mission to the main-mission. Your #2 buddy will be the one that rescues you when you're down. There is no significance to the individual person; if one buddy dies the next in line replaces them with no change in storyline. It is mostly just for aesthetic and so Ubi can have the *dynamic gameplay* bullet point on the back of the box. Don't sweat it if one of your buddies dies.

Orellio said:
I think by subvert he just means to do the optional buddy side-objective that comes along with every campaign mission. The game keeps track of how many times you've done a mission/helped/ignored a call from or for a buddy. The buddy with the most positive rep so to speak will be the one that gives you the info for the sub-mission to the main-mission. Your #2 buddy will be the one that rescues you when you're down. There is no significance to the individual person; if one buddy dies the next in line replaces them with no change in storyline. It is mostly just for aesthetic and so Ubi can have the *dynamic gameplay* bullet point on the back of the box. Don't sweat it if one of your buddies dies.

Alright because I seriously almost started over since I was only 3 hours into the game. It was the old dude and it just seemed crushing to let him die. I really had a sad feeling for his passing which was crazy o_O.

TTG

I'm revisiting this thread because I was listening to an Idle Thumbs podcast talking about the game at length: http://www.idlethumbs.net/ It's the 4th one and like the second segment.

Almost makes me want write out a whole review for the thing, but I'll just restrict myself to a recommendation. I think anyone who is a hardcore fan of shooters deserves to give this one a try. It's so rare to find a game that has so many fresh ideas, rethinking a lot of the things we take for granted in a shooter. If you take this game at the conceptual level and compare to COD4 single player, this is literally a generation ahead.

I'll buy an IED and test it out. :D

Truant said:
I like all the travel. I guess it's not for everyone, though.

I like it too. I just don't like the respawning of enemies. The game is drop dead gorgeous and it is the best looking game on PS3 IMO. I was heading for my first convoy mission and it was 6pm. It was very windy, trees blowing and a bit cloudy. VERY atmospheric. :D

P.S. I did get the silenced pistol. Hot damn is it hard to get a head shot! I was even pretty damn close to the bad guy too!

Tenks

I just started this game so I'll be popping in here from time to time.

I only played maybe 1.5 hr last night but so far its pretty neat. I think I will really get into the free-roaming mission based FPS system. Graphically the game looks beautiful considering how many things are going on at once on the screen.

So far I'm enjoying it, hopefully it doesn't get old fast.

BobsRevenge

warbegins said:
he actually uses a free bolt cattle gun, not to spoil your fun or anything. :D
_11882655127917.jpg

industrian

Jason's Ultimatum said:
P.S. I did get the silenced pistol. Hot damn is it hard to get a head shot! I was even pretty damn close to the bad guy too!

Do some assassination missions and practice. The targets are standing still 99% of the time.

Top Bottom