• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Tenks said:
I just started this game so I'll be popping in here from time to time.

I only played maybe 1.5 hr last night but so far its pretty neat. I think I will really get into the free-roaming mission based FPS system. Graphically the game looks beautiful considering how many things are going on at once on the screen.

So far I'm enjoying it, hopefully it doesn't get old fast.

Be prepared. You might get agitated by the constant respawning of enemies from earlier checkpoints you cleared. :D

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
You might get agitated by the constant respawning of enemies from earlier checkpoints you cleared. :D

Does no-one just do what I do and just go around them? Or just driving right past them? When it comes to most of the checkpoints, there's more than enough room to give them a wide berth.

I enjoy how some people get upset when you mention running over a virtual zebra, when the actual game is about killing massive amounts of virtual humans, over and over, mostly unprovoked, making your main character a cold-blooded murderer from the fourth minute in. But mentioning something as comical as stampeding over a virtual zebra, and you get scolded.

Interesting society we live in. :lol

the people you kill in the game are all almost invariably deserving of a gruesome fate. The zebra and gazelle, they didn't do anything wrong.

So when you play GTA you've never run over an innocent human being on the sidewalk?

C'mon, guys. Lighten up. Didn't know we had to watch out for an in-game PETA. Yikes.

Nizz

Just wondering, but does anyone know exactly how many buddies are in the total game? I thought I read somewhere there were 12-13 total? I checked my journal last night while playing and holy sh!t, I've got like 7 names with the red line through them! I guess I'm not a good friend. :(

Tenks

Fragamemnon said:
the people you kill in the game are all almost invariably deserving of a gruesome fate. The zebra and gazelle, they didn't do anything wrong.

One of the first things I did in the game was chase after a goat whom was running away from me and chop him in the neck. I was saddened by the lack of goat blood.

And I have already ran into the overly fast respawning enemies at checkpoints. It seems somewhat silly to me. I guess I had visions of me in a land struggle and over taking it gang warfare style. I don't care if they can come back and recapture the checkpoints but I think its kind of stupid that I don't even take them in the first place.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
CartridgeBlower said:
So when you play GTA you've never run over an innocent human being on the sidewalk?

C'mon, guys. Lighten up. Didn't know we had to watch out for an in-game PETA. Yikes.
I suppose some games make a poor choice for what to do as far as filler entertainment between Point A and Point B. The other day, I was playing the demo for Tomb Raider:Underworld when I was attacked by multiple bengal tigers. Since these animals are already on the endangered list and rarely attack people in large packs like observed in the game, I just found it unnecessary to have bengals here as the foe of choice. If I felt a large feline had a fighting chance against unlimited dual-wielded pistols and machine-pistols, I would be ok with it, but I just think that randomly killing animals, pretend or not, is a piss-poor way to give the player something to do.

As for Far Cry 2, does your jeep get damaged heavily from hitting a zebra? In real-life, if I ran over a zebra, it would likely wreck my jeep, leave me stranded in the wild, left to fend off lions at night. That would be a fun game.

Tenks

DenogginizerOS said:
As for Far Cry 2, does your jeep get damaged heavily from hitting a zebra? In real-life, if I ran over a zebra, it would likely wreck my jeep, leave me stranded in the wild, left to fend off lions at night. That would be a fun game.

Its cool. When that happens just walk up to the hood of your car and hit triangle. Alls good. You just need to twist a bolt in tighter with your socket wrench if you ever run over a zebra irl.

industrian said:
Does no-one just do what I do and just go around them? Or just driving right past them? When it comes to most of the checkpoints, there's more than enough room to give them a wide berth.

Some checkpoints have enemies who will man a jeep to chase after you. I guess I could traverse through the map that isn't anywhere near a manned checkpoint.

BTW, should I just stick to side missions to earn more weapons and then tackle the storyline mission or mix it up a bit?

nyong

Banned
Curiosity got the better of me and I purchased the additional content last night (PS3). Huge waste of money so far. I was hoping that most of the online players were hiding in the new maps, which does not appear to be the case. If you're buying it for the new weapons, great. If you're buying it for lasting MP, don't bother. I doubt you'll be able to fill a game of 8x8 in another month.

Nizz

nyong said:
Curiosity got the better of me and I purchased the additional content last night (PS3). Huge waste of money so far. I was hoping that most of the online players were hiding in the new maps, which does not appear to be the case. If you're buying it for the new weapons, great. If you're buying it for lasting MP, don't bother. I doubt you'll be able to fill a game of 8x8 in another month.
The main draw this game had for me was always the single player. Believe it or not, I have yet to touch the mapmaker part of the game. And I've only jumped into the multiplayer once, and I've never gotten back in. The new weapons and the atv you can use in singleplayer interest me, but I'll probably wait on it. I'm about 84% done with the game, and this DLC could be a nice incentive to replay the game in the future...

I'm driving along, it's starting to get a bit dark, there's a small breeze blowing; in other words, looks like rain.

What do you know, a few minutes later it's pouring. Trees whipping around, rain coming down, all that's missing is puddles and water flow, but that's a bit beyond hardware this gen.

I don't think I've seen a game do weather this well, or at least an open world game. Far Cry 2 is definitely the prettiest open world game released yet.

nyong

Banned
It's a good thing PS3 controllers don't easily snap in two. Well, either that or I'm too weak.

I decided to do a communication tower mission before saving. This after going on an hour diamond collection hunt and scouting several guard towers. I should mention I already used my buddy-save. Yeah, so anyhow. I'm running towards my objective when I hear an engine roaring and out of nowhere a jeep runs me over.

I really hate those jeeps.

So after about 2 hours I was ready to send this thing back, but I've gotten into a rhythm now. Probably because of the sniper rifle making combat far less tedious. Instead of having to engage in so many close range gunfights that sapped the life out of the game for me, I find that setting up traps and finding good snipe spots to be a lot more enjoyable and seems to mesh better with the open world layout better.

The game still seems to lack some polish and I hate the fact that alternate missions seem to be so far away from each other at times. It makes things incredibly tedious. Even so I'm kind of warming up to it, though I'm not sure how much longer my sniper will breath life into this game. Its a shame considering how beautiful this game looks.

I understand this game isn't on Crysis' level, but with so many guys crying about Uncharted, Gears, Killzone 2 and etc I'm surprised that Far Cry 2 never comes up. Its an absolutely amazing looking game and the fact that all of the game is happening in a streaming environment makes it all the more impressive. Some of the jungle gunfights have taken my breath away at times. Explosions rocking vegetation and the beautiful display of shadows all over...its a real sight to behold and I don't think this game gets nearly enough credit.

fps fanatic said:
The main draw this game had for me was always the single player. Believe it or not, I have yet to touch the mapmaker part of the game. And I've only jumped into the multiplayer once, and I've never gotten back in. The new weapons and the atv you can use in singleplayer interest me, but I'll probably wait on it. I'm about 84% done with the game, and this DLC could be a nice incentive to replay the game in the future...

I almost exclusively play first person shooters for their multiplayer. I still have only ever gotten like one level deep in Halo 3 and it took me a year to beat COD 4.

FarCry 2 is one of the rare few for me where its swapped. I enjoy the single player but the multiplayer is pretty weak. A lot of good ideas but weak.

nyong said:
It's a good thing PS3 controllers don't easily snap in two. Well, either that or I'm too weak.

I decided to do a communication tower mission before saving. This after going on an hour diamond collection hunt and scouting several guard towers. I should mention I already used my buddy-save. Yeah, so anyhow. I'm running towards my objective when I hear an engine roaring and out of nowhere a jeep runs me over.

I really hate those jeeps.

Heh, I've had quite a few moments like that, and my first buddy died so rescue is out of the question. Working on the second one whenever I get a chance. Anyone know what history you get a second best buddy at? I have this one now at 5, and my previous one died at around 9, so I assume it's somewhere in between there.

Mr. City said:
That and trying to stealth kill someone with your machete is a headache.

You think so? I'm finding it rather satisfying, and fairly effective when I'm completely out of ammunition.

Mr.City

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Be prepared. You might get agitated by the constant respawning of enemies from earlier checkpoints you cleared. :D

That and trying to stealth kill someone with your machete is a headache.

Fragamemnon said:

I'd say running into my car is a wrong thing to do

comrade

warbegins said:
he actually uses a free bolt cattle gun, not to spoil your fun or anything. :D
Although also very cool. I was referring to the picture BobsRevenge posted.

_11882655127917.jpg

Dark FaZe said:
I understand this game isn't on Crysis' level, but with so many guys crying about Uncharted, Gears, Killzone 2 and etc I'm surprised that Far Cry 2 never comes up. Its an absolutely amazing looking game and the fact that all of the game is happening in a streaming environment makes it all the more impressive. Some of the jungle gunfights have taken my breath away at times. Explosions rocking vegetation and the beautiful display of shadows all over...its a real sight to behold and I don't think this game gets nearly enough credit.
Absolutely! It's gotten overshadowed by higher profile releases (and it's useless for system warz since it's multi-platform) but it's an amazing looking game. The fact that it holds it's own with the best on consoles, and it's an open-world is just incredible.

Ledsen

Peronthious said:
You think so? I'm finding it rather satisfying, and fairly effective when I'm completely out of ammunition.

Actually you can't stealth kill using the machete, the guy will scream when you kill him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it! didn't take me that long. What a lame ending.

I don't understand the story really at all. And the voice acting was some of the worst ever.

Shiiiiiiiiiit. If you exit to the upper left side of the main area where you do the main missions, there's a boat that takes you through a canal, with a jungle like atmosphere. There's a shack to the left side of the canal too.........OH. MY. GOD. This is game is drop dead gorgeous. You actually feel like you're there, feeling the nice warmth of the sun hitting your face. The mood is just perfect.

This game is the best looking console game that's currently out, especially with how HUGE this game's world is.

Cruzader

Banned
guys, how the fuck do you save your buddy after injecting them twice and still not getting up??? If you do it a third time, he/she dies....Also if you leave them behind, their status is "missing", will you find them again? Only reason I ask is cuz I helped Craig(?) , well, followed his advice and by the mission's end he was laying on ground wanting help but cant.(inject him or leave him behind)

Also the snipers are so sick!!!! I feel like the guy from Shooter, snipping wankers from far away!!! Love how you have to zoom out to reload. And enemy AI aint the best but seem believable. One time I went past a guard post ln buggy, they began chasing me so I got out and hid behind some bushes while they slowly approach. they go past me and blast them away unknowingly what hit them!!! Most games have super huma AI that can spot you miles away, thankfully this dont.

Only bad thing are uncustomizable controls, hard to look at map on SDTV ,cant save anywhere and it froze once(ps3)

Cruzader said:
guys, how the fuck do you save your buddy after injecting them twice and still not getting up??? If you do it a third time, he/she dies....Also if you leave them behind, their status is "missing", will you find them again? Only reason I ask is cuz I helped Craig(?) , well, followed his advice and by the mission's end he was laying on ground wanting help but cant.(inject him or leave him behind)

Also the snipers are so sick!!!! I feel like the guy from Shooter, snipping wankers from far away!!! Love how you have to zoom out to reload. And enemy AI aint the best but seem believable. One time I went past a guard post ln buggy, they began chasing me so I got out and hid behind some bushes while they slowly approach. they go past me and blast them away unknowingly what hit them!!! Most games have super huma AI that can spot you miles away, thankfully this dont.

Only bad thing are uncustomizable controls, hard to look at map on SDTV ,cant save anywhere and it froze once(ps3)

I never had any problems with saving a buddy, the syringe always worked right away. As long as neither of you are being shot at I would assume it'd work fine. Not sure if you can find a missing buddy, though.

One of my buddies came to my aid after I lost all my health, but now I don't know what do with her. After she saved me, I went and cleared out all the remaining enemies in the area and then went on my way and saved at the nearest safehouse, but my buddy is still hanging out where she saved me. She just seems to walk around aimlessly and I don't know how to get her to disappear or to follow me. If I leave the area without her, new enemies seem to spawn after a few minutes and wound her. When I try to heal her with syringes, they don't do anything and she just overdoses or whatever after 3 injections. Any tips?

BeeDog

Y2Kev said:
So let me ask then-- if I like this game (love this game) will I like Stalker?

You can't compare them really. Far Cry 2 is a repetitive, dull mess of a game imo, and Stalker has almost equally shitty side missions (or even worse I'd say). The Far Cry 2 map is obviously much bigger, but while Stalker's map is much smaller and segmented, it has many more points of interests. And the setting is infinitely superior to FC2's, and the lighting engine is still among the best.

Oh, and Stalker is a much much harder game to play (and harder to begin with). But imo Stalker is a much better game in the end, but it's hard to compare them really.

Y2Kev said:
I still don't think a comparison between this and Stalker is all that viable, other than some very general things, but if I remember correctly you also loved Fallout 3, so between liking that and this I'd say you'd probably enjoy a good dosage of Stalker. I still haven't gotten far enough into Clear Sky to see if I'd recommend that over the original though :(

Y2Kev

Blader5489 said:
Completely OT, and doesn't answer your question at all, but where is your tag from?
Long story short, it's my grandma's acceptable order of Jeopardy! winners.

I only make the comparison because a lot of people have said it's similar. So not so much? :\

I did enjoy Fallout 3. I got a bit tired of the setting after a while, but it sort of lacks originality and "points of interest" after a while. Far Cry 2 managed to keep me occupied because of the really varied terrain...Fallout 3 pretty much fails at that after a while, but I liked the setting. Hopefully I will play Stalker sometime when it lands somewhere I can play it. ;)

Y2Kev said:

I haven't played a ton of stalker but from what I have I would say yes. Especially if what is appealing is the open nature you can approach a given situation.

BobsRevenge said:
You can get a silenced submachine gun that makes being stealthy a whole lot easier. Save up some diamonds for it. Also, doing missions at night makes it a lot easier to be stealthy also.
I've played the majority of the game with the silenced weapons, and I think it's safe to say they're pretty redundant. Every time I finished someone off with the SMG or machete, even when I knew no other enemy could actually see me, they'd still hear this and be all over me in a matter of seconds. Even when I was hiding in the bushes with the dart rifle they were able to pinpoint my current location, though thankfully this didn't occur that often...

industrian said:
I did that, and yet they still were out to bother me from time to time, not to mention that attempting to avoid them every single time became a tedious effort in itself. Traveling through the rivers and such didn't help much either later on in the game, since there are also enemy outposts located near the water. That, or random patrol boats.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
This game is the best looking console game (during daytime) that's currently out, especially with how HUGE this game's world is.
Fixed. Sadly, the game looks pretty hideous at night for some odd reason, which is why I always slept at a nearby safehouse when it became dark.

MicVlaD said:
Fixed. Sadly, the game looks pretty hideous at night for some odd reason, which is why I always slept at a nearby safehouse when it became dark.

This is dependant on whether or not the moonlight is out or not. If the moon is behind clouds it looks pretty flat.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Y2Kev said:
Just beat it! didn't take me that long. What a lame ending.

I don't understand the story really at all. And the voice acting was some of the worst ever.

How bout a short review?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
MicVlaD said:
I've played the majority of the game with the silenced weapons, and I think it's safe to say they're pretty redundant. Every time I finished someone off with the SMG or machete, even when I knew no other enemy could actually see me, they'd still hear this and be all over me in a matter of seconds. Even when I was hiding in the bushes with the dart rifle they were able to pinpoint my current location, though thankfully this didn't occur that often...
Dude, with the silenced SMG at night I was able to be stealthy as hell. With the machete they scream when you kill them, but a shot to the face with an SMG doesn't cause them to do this. So you get a silent kill. If you are good you can really pull off stealth stuff, just keep in mind that it is much much easier to do at night.

Extra Missions for PS3/360 (?)

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...golden-ak-47-location-and-special-machete.htm

Get the extra Far Cry 2 missions: At the main menu, go to the Additional Content option and click Sponsor/Promotional Code. Then enter one of these case-sensitive cheat codes: 6aPHuswe, 96CesuHu, or SpujeN7x, to unlock the Special Missions titled: The Georgian, The Bolivian, Special Delivery, and Le Français.

If you entered the correctly, the message “You have successfully unlocked the missions” will appear. Start a new game or continue a saved game. Pause the game, and display the “Map Legend” menu. You will see a new envelop legend labeled “Special Mission”. Successfully complete the tutorial and a few missions. You will eventually get a phone call from a distorted voice that sends you on your “predecessor’s tracks”. Go to the envelop map legend location to find an old bus that is now a shack, and continue.

Well if it works for the rest of us then extra free missions are a good thing :). I'm going to try it right now. I guess there's no reason it wouldn't work if it's just a code...there's no way to verify it right?

Edit: Worked for me! :D Haven't gotten a "call" yet but it says I successfully unlocked the extra missions. I'm sure it's not much but free is free :D .

Y2Kev

otake said:
How bout a short review?

Ooookay. Far Cry 2 falls short of its goal of creating a fully immersive, fully believable Africa. The place looks like Africa and sounds like Africa, but it's not Africa. The game is all about warring factions, but you never see factions fighting. The game is all about the human suffering of everyday civilians caught in conflict, but you never see any actual civilians. The story becomes so confusing and it is told so poorly that you just lose sight of the game's entire "message."

But that's really all I have to say that's explicitly bad about it. The game is absolutely gorgeous. Perhaps the best game you will feast your eyes upon this fall, AND it's open world. I love how the guns feel and the number of guns you can use is impressive. I love the kickback on the AK47, and it takes just one pull of the trigger to put down any enemy. The AI's not great, but it isn't bad either-- enemies coordinate with one another and cover each other as they reload and look for cover (but they can't see you if you are ten feet away but sometimes can see you from 1,000 feet away).

The biggest problems that I think people could have with the game are the excessive amount of traveling you'd need to do basically anything and the whole "takes the immersion a little too far" with guns jamming/needing to take malaria pills. If you use the buses, you won't have to travel very far ever. I beat the single player in less than a week, so it's definitely possible to play this game without spending huge amounts of time wandering around the map. You won't even WANT to wander sometimes because the constantly changing contour of the map gets frustrating on foot. With the immersion stuff, I could see malaria being annoying, but it happens so infrequently that it's such a nonissue. Like maybe once every hour or even less than that. The entire game I probably took like 5 pills. Guns jamming...was never a problem for me. I always had guns upgraded and they jammed like maybe once every 150 shots. It's such a nonissue. It IS annoying if you pick up weapons the other people use. Then it jams like once every two clips.

The voice acting is ku-raaaaaaaaaap. Like horrrrrrible. I think Ubisoft ran out of money or something. The dialog was recorded in South Africa, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it...could be not the optimal place to cast voice actors, I don't know. It's really horrible.

I'd like it if you could tell the factions apart from one another in actual gameplay. Everyone looks the same-- everyone wears the same ratty clothes, the same ratty wifebeaters, and uses the same equipment. It'd be cool if you could actually team up with a faction beyond just "this is a secret mission!!!" but you can't. So that is a little lame, but in the end, it doesn't really make the game a worse shooter I guess.

I dunno why I like this so much. I played it on 360 or about 30 min and hated it. Then I rented it again since I didn't think I gave it a fair shot. Played it another hour and hated it. Then I just bought the PS3 version because it was 25 on amazon and I loved it after an hour or so. It just clicked.

If you give Far Cry 2 a chance, you could unlock one of the more unique shooter experiences this year.

BobsRevenge said:
Dude, with the silenced SMG at night I was able to be stealthy as hell. With the machete they scream when you kill them, but a shot to the face with an SMG doesn't cause them to do this. So you get a silent kill. If you are good you can really pull off stealth stuff, just keep in mind that it is much much easier to do at night.
I did aim for their heads most of the time, still alerted nearly everyone shortly after I killed an enemy like that. I also bought the camo suit, by the way.

Night time (and rain too I believe) does make a stealthy approach easier as you mentioned, but I already explained why I didn't invade enemy bases during those periods.

Nizz

TheLegendary said:
Well if it works for the rest of us then extra free missions are a good thing :). I'm going to try it right now. I guess there's no reason it wouldn't work if it's just a code...there's no way to verify it right?

Edit: Worked for me! :D Haven't gotten a "call" yet but it says I successfully unlocked the extra missions. I'm sure it's not much but free is free :D .
Cool man! The free missions should show up on the map in white. You have the red color octagon for missions, blue octagon for buddy missions, and the white ones should be the bonus missions.

Just got the PS3 version from Amazon's $26 sale.

I have read all the criticism of this game, and I definitely agree with all the flaws that have been pointed out. They are all true. But I am completely hooked--I am just having a blast.

I haven't read every page of this thread, so maybe it's been pointed out before, but WTF is up with the Jackal being Max Payne? The voice actor sounds exactly the same, and that crap he spouts at you in the opening scene of the game sounds just like the nonsense Max says. :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
TheLegendary said:
Extra Missions for PS3/360 (?)

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...golden-ak-47-location-and-special-machete.htm

Get the extra Far Cry 2 missions: At the main menu, go to the Additional Content option and click Sponsor/Promotional Code. Then enter one of these case-sensitive cheat codes: 6aPHuswe, 96CesuHu, or SpujeN7x, to unlock the Special Missions titled: The Georgian, The Bolivian, Special Delivery, and Le Français.

If you entered the correctly, the message “You have successfully unlocked the missions” will appear. Start a new game or continue a saved game. Pause the game, and display the “Map Legend” menu. You will see a new envelop legend labeled “Special Mission”. Successfully complete the tutorial and a few missions. You will eventually get a phone call from a distorted voice that sends you on your “predecessor’s tracks”. Go to the envelop map legend location to find an old bus that is now a shack, and continue.

I'll try these later. And I found the Gold AK purely by accident, and threw it away just as easily.

Mr.City

The respawning outposts are beginning to test my patience. I can blow them up and burn them down to the ground, leaving nothing more than a black spot of where it used to be, but it'll be back if I drive around the corner and back.

Top Bottom