• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

RoKKeR

Seems almost exactly the same to me.

I do find that I am able to turn down some of the graphics settings a few notches without much loss in visual quality compared to changing the same settings in Far Cry 3.

Because of the filter a lot of the finer visual detail is lost. Due the graphical style the game looks good no matter what the settings are.
Speaking of which, any ideas on how to turn that filter off?

antitrop

Can't say I have, no.

This is the track listing for their first album. It's as awesome as it sounds.

"Hello California" – 1:25
"Get to the Choppa" – 2:47
"Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" – 2:23
"All of the Songs Sound the Same" – 0:13
"I Am a Cybernetic Organism, Living Tissue Over (Metal) Endoskeleton" – 3:34
"Come with Me If You Want to Live" – 3:46
"What It's Like to Be a Singer at Band Practice" – 1:18
"Who Is Your Daddy, And What Does He Do?" – 3:11
"You Have Just Been Erased" – 2:21
"Broo-Tall Song Idea" – 0:39
"Here Is Subzero, Now Plain Zero" – 3:08
"So Far, So Good, So Let's Talk About It" – 0:42
"Screw You (Benny)" – 2:49
"Why?" – 0:25
"If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It" – 3:43
"It's Not a Tumor" – 3:16
"Not So Hidden Track" – 2:49

L46t21jm.jpg

anddo0

I wonder if the buffer issue is what's causing me framerate problems. I can run FC3 max setting dx11(7970m). However I have to drop to dx9 with Blood Dragon in order to maintain 60fps.

I thought I read that the four weapons you have in the demo are the only four weapons you have in the game (plus the bow). Is this true?

Bumhead

Banned

Just Youtube'd some of their stuff.. fantastic!

Less fantastic though is the fact that I still can't seem to launch the game. Verified my cache again and Steam is re-downloading the entire game for the third time. I've wasted all the time I actually had to play this messing around with this shit.

antitrop

Speaking of Austrian Death Machine, it's a side project from the lead singer of As I Lay Dying, a band I don't personally care for at all, but that's not the point. Dude hit the gym when he started Austrian Death Machine, and is decidedly far more metal now:

J8j9Z8Dm.jpg

g7o30qu.jpg

Completely off topic, but I thought it was interesting enough to share. Without the tattoos I don't know if he's even recognizable. A bit of a Zakk Wylde thing going on now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The fuck acronym stuff was great. Man, this game is not only insane value for $15 but is putting some full priced retail games to shame.

Bombless

The Grenade informations made me completely lose it. Had worked night shift and the game downloaded throughout, came back home and spent 2 Hours in it without even noticing.

I can tell that it will be a short game, but as Totalbiscuit says it's perfect because it won't overstay it's welcome. Also it's still as much if not longer than CoD single player crap. And simply unforgettable.

FaintDeftone

Loving it so far. Seeing as FC3 was my favorite game of last year, I'm basically getting an expansion pack with a crazy, nostalgic style that makes it fresh. Kudos, Ubisoft!

Chavelo

Speaking of Austrian Death Machine, it's a side project from the lead singer of As I Lay Dying, a band I don't personally care for at all, but that's not the point. Dude hit the gym when he started Austrian Death Machine, and is decidedly far more metal now:

J8j9Z8Dm.jpg

g7o30qu.jpg

Completely off topic, but I thought it was interesting enough to share. Without the tattoos I don't know if he's even recognizable. A bit of a Zakk Wylde thing going on now.
Holy shit, that's fucking rad. m/°_°m/

Karak

Ended up replaying this despite having already done so once for my review.
Honestly second time was almost better than the first. Even more little bits I didn't notice. God damn 15 bucks just went a long damn way.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Is there a way to remove scanlines? I know this is supposed to be 80s but it looks bad.

Gorey

Yeah, I agree. Why the fuck does he throw D20s? That's such a dumb joke(?). (snip)

Middle Aged Nerd Guy moment: the Dungeons & Dragons / TSR stuff was absolutely massive in the 80's for a whole generation of teenage nerds. Further, Gary Gaygax (he of D&D fame) wrote Cyborg Commando in 1987. TSR (of more D&D fame) published three editions of Gamma World between 1978 and 1985. And then you've got material like After the Bomb or The Morrow Project...and others I'm probably missing.

TL:DR - if you were growin' up nerd in the 80's, that cruddy little D20 was practically a religious icon. Totally relevant to the shtick of Blood Dragon.

antitrop

Anyone who doesn't associate D&D with the 80s has never seen a Ronnie James Dio (may the metal God RIP \m/) music video.

lingiii

Banned
Middle Aged Nerd Guy moment: the Dungeons & Dragons / TSR stuff was absolutely massive in the 80's for a whole generation of teenage nerds. Further, Gary Gaygax (he of D&D fame) wrote Cyborg Commando in 1987. TSR (of more D&D fame) published three editions of Gamma World between 1978 and 1985. And then you've got material like Afer the Bomb or The Morrow Project...and others I'm probably missing.

TL:DR - if you were growin' up nerd in the 80's, that cruddy little D20 was practically a religious icon. Totally relevant to the shtick of Blood Dragon.

Anyone who doesn't associate D&D with the 80s has never seen a Ronnie James Dio (may the metal God RIP \m/) music video.

I mean, yeah I understand. but D&D is a thing that happened at the same time as awesome lazers and shit, doesn't really have anything to do with it. They've got this full-on cyber action fantasy thing going on and then break it with something that doesn't have anything to do with neon and lazers and shit. felt weird.

antitrop

I mean, yeah I understand. but D&D is a thing that happened at the same time as awesome lazers and shit, doesn't really have anything to do with it. They've got this full-on cyber action fantasy thing going on and then break it with something that doesn't have anything to do with neon and lazers and shit. felt weird.

I'll quote you the same response I gave White Man.

You're overthinking it.

This is game developer id run wild and it's glorious. So much of this game is explained with "Because they felt like it" and "nobody told them they couldn't".

I personally believe it's refreshing. Is it really harming anyone if the developers thought it would be cool to throw D20's instead of rocks? Does it even matter?

This is a game that asks you to press Enter to confirm you can read.

I'm hardly saying that the game is immune to criticism because it's so "waaaackyy and craaaazyyy!!!", I'm just saying that you have to have perspective on the entire overarching concept and being pedantic about something as simple as changing throwing rocks to throwing D20s is a pretty odd point to try to bring up criticism towards.

You're certainly able to think it strange, though, and you're certainly not alone.

I was loving this until I discovered the main character THROWS 20-SIDED DIE. Unacceptable. Completely destroyed my experience.

Had to return the game

Bumhead

Banned
So a couple of re-installs and god knows how many cache verifications telling me there are 50 files missing, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is totally unplayable for me through Steam.

Fucking great.

Anyone having issues with the UPlay servers? I'm downloading Blood Dragon at 40 kbytes/s and there is 30 hours remaining. I just did an internet speed test and a test download on something on Steam. Everything seems fine on my end.

antitrop

Further, Gary Gaygax (he of D&D fame) wrote Cyborg Commando in 1987.
"One reviewer said that "whilst Cyborg Commando isn’t the worst game written, it is outstandingly poor. This is a product that should be held up to designers as a lesson in how not to write a game.""

... Maybe he should have stuck to D&D.

So a couple of re-installs and god knows how many cache verifications telling me there are 50 files missing, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is totally unplayable for me through Steam.

Fucking great.
This seems well above our standard level of assistance, you should probably take this up with Ubisoft directly.

Bumhead

Banned
This seems well above our standard level of assistance, you should probably take this up with Ubisoft directly.

Yeah sorry I'm just sort of ranting at this point. My free time to actually sit and spend an evening playing a game is rare these days and it annoys me greatly when that entire evening gets wasted by absolutely terrible game installations/downloads. Not sure if it's Steam, Ubisoft or the Uplay client at fault here. The Steam forums suggest I'm not the only one experiencing this, which is.. something at least.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

J8j9Z8Dm.jpg

g7o30qu.jpg

From a Tyrell to The Hound.

Tain

Finished this, it was just okay. Pretty disappointing, though, even going in assuming that I wouldn't get into the humor. I'd love to see a larger-scale sci-fi Far Cry 3 style game with a more serious tone, but I had way more fun with Far Cry 3 than with this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My 2c on what I've played: I really dig the idea, love the humour, love the soundtrack, but Far Cry 3's gameplay is so monotonous and boring that I find it hard to really get into it. And honestly, the high enemy damage and stealth focus of Far Cry 3's core gameplay seems totally at odds with what should be an 80's cyber commando spoof. Right setting, wrong game, in my opinion.

But I can also appreciate that anybody who loved Far Cry 3's gameplay will have a much, much easier time getting into Blood Dragon's rhythm.

"Hello California" – 1:25
"Get to the Choppa" – 2:47
"Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" – 2:23
"All of the Songs Sound the Same" – 0:13
"I Am a Cybernetic Organism, Living Tissue Over (Metal) Endoskeleton" – 3:34
"Come with Me If You Want to Live" – 3:46
"What It's Like to Be a Singer at Band Practice" – 1:18
"Who Is Your Daddy, And What Does He Do?" – 3:11
"You Have Just Been Erased" – 2:21
"Broo-Tall Song Idea" – 0:39
"Here Is Subzero, Now Plain Zero" – 3:08
"So Far, So Good, So Let's Talk About It" – 0:42
"Screw You (Benny)" – 2:49
"Why?" – 0:25
"If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It" – 3:43
"It's Not a Tumor" – 3:16
"Not So Hidden Track" – 2:49

I fucking LOVE that album. It's so good.

Also I am really really enjoying this game, so much fun and over the top stupidity. It doesn't take itself seriously even for a second and that's why it succeeds so well. Also dat soundtrack... oh man.

I am putting together a walkthrough on youtube of it, if you'd like to see then please stop by and help a brother out :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUe05gLI3A

Top Bottom