• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

wow this game is pretty amazing but I feel like I'm on crack. The game runs SOOOO FAST. After coming off of Infinite. This game feels like I'm running around on ice.

everything else is so fucking amazing.

My 2c on what I've played: I really dig the idea, love the humour, love the soundtrack, but Far Cry 3's gameplay is so monotonous and boring that I find it hard to really get into it. And honestly, the high enemy damage and stealth focus of Far Cry 3's core gameplay seems totally at odds with what should be an 80's cyber commando spoof. Right setting, wrong game, in my opinion.

But I can also appreciate that anybody who loved Far Cry 3's gameplay will have a much, much easier time getting into Blood Dragon's rhythm.

I definitely agree, but the minigun alleviates things a bit.

Edit: Although when you do get the minigun firefights usually boil down to hold fire button and point at things until they're dead.

Gorey

"One reviewer said that "whilst Cyborg Commando isn’t the worst game written, it is outstandingly poor. This is a product that should be held up to designers as a lesson in how not to write a game.""

... Maybe he should have stuck to D&D.

Even worse: as a teenage kid, I read the fictional novels Kim Mohan wrote related to the game setting. Those brain cells are still lost in the corner of some dirty game store in the far future of 1987.

antitrop

Can someone tell me how far I am in the game?
I just defeated the two blood dragons sent by the bad guy

It would probably be more worthwhile to pause the game and look at the exhaustive stats screen rather than have someone guess. There are 7 main story missions, if that gives you an idea.

Edit: Although when you do get the minigun firefights usually boil down to hold fire button and point at things until they're dead.
I like that he starts screaming as you hold down the minigun, reminds me of Spec Ops.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can someone tell me how far I am in the game?
I just defeated the two blood dragons sent by the bad guy

About 75% of the way through the story, but also right before the 'point of no return;, but they will warn you.
If we're talking about the section with the lack of Man-Kracken.

Sick on my back for 2 days. Downed an entire bottle of Dayquil. Cats woke me up at 2am. And 3. And 4.

Went to work at 7:30 to catch up on shit I was supposed to start working on 2 weeks ago and is due tomorrow. Architect sends me something I can't use. 3 times. Finally get what I need to finish at 4:45.

Finally finish everything at 10pm. Just need to scan something before I'm done.

Scanner is leaving a blue line through everything. No one but an idiot like me would need a shitty Dell scanner fixed at 10pm.

Spend 45 minutes figuring out how to make a custom scan of six 8.5x11 sheets on a 36" plotter at the dpi I need to make it look good that doesn't end up giving me something that's 112 megs.

It's 11pm and I feel like shit, but finally, I'm heading home to start this baby up.

Just thought I'd share. Cool story, I know.

antitrop

Sick on my back for 2 days. Downed an entire bottle of Dayquil. Cats woke me up at 2am. And 3. And 4.
Went to work at 7:30 to catch up on shit I was supposed to start working on 2 weeks ago and is due tomorrow. Architect sends me something I can't use. 3 times. Finally get what I need to finish at 4:45.
Finally finish everything at 10pm. Just need to scan something before I'm done.
Scanner is leaving a blue line through everything. No one but an idiot like me would need a shitty Dell scanner fixed at 10pm.
Spend 45 minutes figuring out how to make a custom scan of six 8.5x11 sheets on a 36" plotter at the dpi I need to make it look good that doesn't end up giving me something that's 112 megs.
It's 11pm and I feel like shit, but finally, I'm heading home to start this baby up.
Just thought I'd share. Cool story, I know.
Blood Dragon is medicine. You will laugh and have a great time and it won't make up for your shitty day, but it will remind why video games are such a wonderful distraction for the crazy little game called life.

Toa TAK

Banned
Breaking Bad, my friend!

I just played for like half an hour while GAF was down and had a blast. I did so much cool shit in such a short amount of time.

*sigh of relief* That I can get behind!

Man, I don't know what to do with this game. I'm going through it again on Easy this time, since I went through it on my first on Hard. But I've done everything and I want more to do!

Does anyone else love that montage?

Dusk Golem

Just finished this tonight and the last few bits are probably going into the best gaming moments of the year on presentation alone.

I was kind of worried before I played through the game this would get repetitive or keep on relying on the same things, but the finale was fantastic. The last 45 minutes of the game or so were definitely the highlight for me.

I was kinda disappointed with the total lack of game play in the last mission. Presentation was awesome though. The montage, music, general crazyness was awesome, but I would have preferred if the last ten minutes consisted of something more engaging than "hold down m1 and point." The combat in the rest of the game was probably the most fun I've had since Bulletstorm.

Dusk Golem

I was kinda disappointed with the total lack of game play in the last mission. Presentation was awesome though. The montage, music, general crazyness was awesome, but I would have preferred if the last ten minutes consisted of something more engaging than "hold down m1 and point." The combat in the rest of the game was probably the most fun I've had since Bulletstorm.

This is also true. I might have been more open to it as I captured all the enemy bases and did all the side-quest before I went to do the story missions, so I was probably all good with gameplay by the time I reached that point
as well as the awesome arena fight right before that. It felt freaking awesome after spending hours before that taking enemy bases to then be super-powered.

Btw, for those curious, without collecting all collectibles, but capturing all enemy bases and doing all side-quest, it took me about 7-8 hours to complete the game on Hard difficulty. There was one or two side missions I got a bit caught-up on for a small time, so I would guess the time might be best worded as 6-8 hours to do that.

drbond

Neo Member
The final hour of Blood Dragon, they blow me away using one of my favorite movie themes
(a certain movie from 1985)
....but they end the game and go into the credits using one of my all-time favorite songs from 80's cinema
(a movie classic from 1987)
?

*********rockin' out HARD***********

PS: This game is so awesome, I triple-dipped into this bad boy (Xbox360, PS3, and PC). For those that haven't gotten the extremely affordable Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon....the game is a must play title this year....hell....must play game for this entire console generation.

Can someone upload a save after the first mission? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH DEVELOPERS NOT SAVING THEIR GAMES?!?! It's the same goddamn bullshit with Bioshock Infinite! They expect you not to quit until a 30 minute section is complete?! Plus an unskippable tutorial that doesn't even try to be entertaining? It's completely insane. Fuck these people to their graves.

Storm360

Has anyone made any custom boxart for the PC version? Would love to make my own physical copy of the game + soundtrack

Bedlam

Finally got to play the demo. After the first shootout I quit the game when it said "game over" because I left the mission area for a few seconds. Is that also some kind of retro joke? I think I like everything about this game except the actual gameplay. :-/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally got to play the demo. After the first shootout I quit the game when it said "game over" because I left the mission area for a few seconds. Is that also some kind of retro joke? I think I like everything about this game except the actual gameplay. :-/
I think that's a joke you ran into.

Not a retro joke but a joke on the current genre issues.

antitrop

Can someone upload a save after the first mission? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH DEVELOPERS NOT SAVING THEIR GAMES?!?! It's the same goddamn bullshit with Bioshock Infinite! They expect you not to quit until a 30 minute section is complete?! Plus an unskippable tutorial that doesn't even try to be entertaining? It's completely insane. Fuck these people to their graves.

Resident Evil 6 sounds right up your alley.

If you like turning off your console and turning it back on to find over an hour of progress gone.

red731

Talk about bad timing. I've bought FC3BD at work like two hours and now, I am at home looking at email from Never Settle AMD.

If anyone wants the game for $9 let me know in PM. I am selling the AMD NS key, just to let you know.

Dusk Golem

Resident Evil 6 sounds right up your alley.

If you like turning off your console and turning it back on to find over an hour of progress gone.

I'm pretty sure that was fixed with the title patch that happened a few months ago, where they split the stages into shorter sub-chapters (and had the stuff to turn off QTEs in cutscenes and adjust the camera and the like).

Hoping to make some progress tonight now that I'm not delusional after a day of AutoCAD, neon highlighters, bureaucracy, and dextromethorphan.

Biggest issue for me so far is that I fucking suck with some of the ironsights in this.

antitrop

I'm pretty sure that was fixed with the title patch that happened a few months ago, where they split the stages into shorter sub-chapters (and had the stuff to turn off QTEs in cutscenes and adjust the camera and the like).

Good news, I'm playing through the PC version right now to finish the two campaigns I did not on 360 (Wesker and Ada, especially Ada), but that patch is the way the game should have launched in October.

Nif

I've been fighting with some PC issues lately, so the game's crashed on me in the first part a few times. I've probably had to play through that gods damn tutorial 8 times now.

Linius

Lol, I was liberating a garison yesterday. When I was about to enter a dragon was casually hanging out in front of the garnison so I lured him away with some juicy cyber hearts. Then in the middle of my rampage the dragon stood behind me all of a sudden and killed me just like that. This game is so random :p

Does anyone have some tips on how to slay a dragon btw? They're tough fellas.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lol, I was liberating a garison yesterday. When I was about to enter a dragon was casually hanging out in front of the garnison so I lured him away with some juicy cyber hearts. Then in the middle of my rampage the dragon stood behind me all of a sudden and killed me just like that. This game is so random :p

Does anyone have some tips on how to slay a dragon btw? They're tough fellas.

Sniper Rifle + explosive rounds + semi auto = really really dead dragons.

Andrew.

Banned

Yup, and then get em down to a sliver of health and finish them off with the bow to get the "Just The Tip" trophy/cheev

Oh and the Gunslinger takedown is fucking boss.

Linius

Oh those explosive rounds gave me such joy in the original game. But I have to unlock those first, time to play some more :D

Currently walking around with my bow/shotgun/sniper rifle/automatic rifle and some explosive stuff. Mostly use my bow for stealth action. Though most of the time I still end up in a major rampage :p

Overdoziz

Banned
I miss taking out an entire stronghold with my silenced sniper without being detected. That was what I enjoyed the most in Far Cry 3 and now it's gone. Even if I had a silenced sniper in Blood Dragon it still wouldn't be possible because of the huge walls surrounding the strongholds. Playing stealthily with the bow and arrow is fun, though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This game is too short and the side content even less interesting and worthwhile than FarCry 3's. Visually it's less interesting also due to the neon dark styling, no day night cycle or unique locations to find. But the main content was, I think, better than FarCry3's on a gameplay level because the story missions mostly allowed for stealth and messing with the AI while in FarCry 3 the main missions often devolved into COD style gameplay.

Top Bottom