• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

I just finished it. I thought it was great. It would be nice to have a number of shorter 'episodic' games of this length and price. I'd get a full-blown sequel but would prefer more the same length as this one.

I loved the ending sequence. The 8-bit style cutscenes were a bit slow though. I preferred the 80s/90s animation from the trailer.

It was really fun, and better than Far Cry3.

Tizoc

I'd like some help with freeing Garrisons
Some areas have Blood Dragons that just charge into the Garrison, I'm rather early in the game but what's a good way to kill these damn lizards?

EDIT: Oh and could someone link to the 2nd trailer but having the VHS filter on it?

Some areas have Blood Dragons that just charge into the Garrison, I'm rather early in the game but what's a good way to kill these damn lizards?

Just dont,
throw hearts out from the base. Youll get better weapons along the way.

Bossniak

Amazing. Having a blast.

i6ZNugvbV7MSh.gif

Dave1988

My God, dat last mission....

How can one game contain so much AWESOME?! :O

Direct-to-DVD sequel when?

Addnan

A friend gave me a code from his never settle when I try to redeem it just gives an error. Probably a region thing, he's from the US :(

lingiii

Banned

EDIT: Oh and could someone link to the 2nd trailer but having the VHS filter on it?

Most bases have turrets in them. Especially if you're hunting on cheivos, you should kill lizards every chance you get. My favorite plan was to shut down force field, use some hearts to draw him in deeper, turret the shit out of lizard and enemy alike.

Dave_6

Tried to redeem my AMD code and had to register on Ubisoft's site. Entered all my info correctly but then it pops up and says "you entered invalid information". It doesn't bother to highlight exactly what I entered "wrong" either. Ugh WTF.

So Miami Connection looks amazing. Just learning about this movie almost justifies the price alone.

Game's also great too. The final confrontation between Sloan and Rex just being nonsense that crowbars a "message" in about being a good person, perfect.

Been skimming this thread and though not a fan of Far Cry, I'm really interested in buying this just because of how tongue-in-cheek it is.

Just to be sure, this game is totally standalone, correct? I'll be buying for my PS3.

Thanks.

This game is so good! I am seriously having so much fun. I haven't had fun playing a FPS in a while. Everything about the game is epic. If you like shooting stuff, check this game out for sure. And that soundtrack!

MYeager

Been skimming this thread and though not a fan of Far Cry, I'm really interested in buying this just because of how tongue-in-cheek it is.

Just to be sure, this game is totally standalone, correct? I'll be buying for my PS3.

Thanks.

Completely stand alone and no prior knowledge of the series is needed.

I played the demo and liked it more than I thought I would (not a fan of the dark world). But the guns (esp the machine gun) are too "pew, pew" and slow for my taste.

Lol, just got attacked by a crocodile. Came out of fucking nowhere, too, scared the shit out of me. I was even filming when it happened. :lol

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Finished the game a bit ago, and had a great time with it. The best part was definitely the last hour of the story though, so many awesome gameplay moments and homages, and laugh-at-loud moments.

Favorite parts gameplay wise had to be the Dragon Egg section, the 'retro FPS' arena section with the undead enemies and over-the-top announcer, and kicking ass with the super laser ninja star, and then after, riding the talking mechanical dragon.

Amazing finale.

people who have finished the game and gone for all trophies/cheevos; how did you get enough money to buy all gun mods? i'm like 6000$ short and as far as i know there is no way to make money after all garrisons have been conquered and main story done.

am i missing something? animals give only like 5$ each.

people who have finished the game and gone for all trophies/cheevos; how did you get enough money to buy all gun mods? i'm like 6000$ short and as far as i know there is no way to make money after all garrisons have been conquered and main story done.

Do you have all the collectibles? They give you money. And hopefully you have been looting enemies too!

Collectibles give you money, and there are still random guys out in the world you can kill and loot.

todahawk

You have to complete the hostage mission before you can buy stuff at the store. Your bow is gone because you can only carry four weapons at a time. You can switch your weapon loadout at the store when you get back.

I was confused as well when it happened. Pretty odd way to handle things.

Gotcha, thanks all! I figured I was missing something!

Can I just ask, if you were born in the '90's and have no nostalgic connection to the '80s whatsoever, can you still enjoy this thing?

Yeah i have all the collectibles too. Seems like everything just gives CP, not money :D Ubisoft should have given money for killing dragons instead of 5000CP :D

antitrop

Can I just ask, if you were born in the '90's and have no nostalgic connection to the '80s whatsoever, can you still enjoy this thing?

The gameplay is highly enjoyable even outside of everything that I have nostalgic memories towards.

It is Far Cry 3 without much of the tedium. It refines a lot of things that I found frustrating about Far Cry 3, mostly because of the smaller scope of Blood Dragon.

The pacing is much better in BD, everything starts off right away and you're mowing dudes down with a laser cannon from moment 1. All the slow narrative build up of Far Cry 3 that I thought got in the way of actually having any fun in the game is nowhere to be found.

If you like Far Cry 3 as a game, Blood Dragon is even better.

The laser focus of creating a solid ~8 hour experience is much preferable, to me, than the vast, sprawling mess of confusion and incoherence that Far Cry 3 was.

Think about if they made a spin-off of Skyrim that had a bit more focus and direction (which would also require magically better combat mechanics out of thin air, to make my point), and why that would be so much fun for different reasons.

Pitmonkey

Yes, if you have a sense of humor you can even take this game as a knock on current FPS ridiculousness, not just 80's style action movies. Its fantastic.

Best line in the whole game, btw (Spoiler, don't click if not interest - click if you want a laugh)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIScEJRP5eA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Robot Pants

Loved this game. Especially everything during the beginning half. I kinda wish the game was a little less self aware though.

The gameplay is highly enjoyable even outside of everything that I have nostalgic memories towards.

It is Far Cry 3 without much of the tedium. It refines a lot of things that I found frustrating about Far Cry 3, mostly because of the smaller scope of Blood Dragon.

The pacing is much better in BD, everything starts off right away and you're mowing dudes down with a laser cannon from moment 1. All the slow narrative build up of Far Cry 3 that I thought got in the way of actually having any fun in the game is nowhere to be found.

If you like Far Cry 3 as a game, Blood Dragon is even better.

The laser focus of creating a solid ~8 hour experience is much preferable, to me, than the vast, sprawling mess of confusion and incoherence that Far Cry 3 was.

Think about if they made a spin-off of Skyrim that had a bit more focus and direction (which would also require magically better combat mechanics out of thin air, to make my point), and why that would be so much fun for different reasons.
Exactly, it is the best parts of FC3.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info guys, getting used to the graphics is gonna take a while for my eyes but it looks good.

Are the PC graphics and framerate as big of a jump as vanilla FC3 when compared to consoles?

I played the 360 demo yesterday and it seemed fine. There is no demo up on Steam that I could find.

Nokterian

In a few days that glorious artwork will be hanging above my desk. I love this game <3 My GOTY all ready. Ubi should do more like this,just go bonkers all that 'realism' is just to mutch these days.

antitrop

Are the PC graphics and framerate as big of a jump as vanilla FC3 when compared to consoles?
Seems almost exactly the same to me.

I do find that I am able to turn down some of the graphics settings a few notches without much loss in visual quality compared to changing the same settings in Far Cry 3.

Because of the filter a lot of the finer visual detail is lost. Due the graphical style the game looks good no matter what the settings are.

Seems almost exactly the same to me.

I do find that I am able to turn down some of the graphics settings a few notches without much loss in visual quality compared to changing the same settings in Far Cry 3.

Because of the filter a lot of the finer visual detail is lost. Due the graphical style the game looks good no matter what the settings are.
Thanks. Yeah I kind of got the hunch that while they do look great, the visuals for whatever reason are maybe a lot more simple in BD than FC3.

Bumhead

Banned
Just had an issue with this on Steam. Downloaded and installed, but upon running, got a "Failed to start the game" error message, prompting me to re-download. Tried verifying the cache and there are apparently 51 files missing which Steam is now re-downloading, which will take me another 43 minutes.

Ugh.

Is this a common problem?

lingiii

Banned
Loved this game. Especially everything during the beginning half. I kinda wish the game was a little less self aware though.

Yeah, I agree. Why the fuck does he throw D20s? That's such a dumb joke(?).

I really liked the "tutorial" and I thought some of the loading messages were cute/clever, but they were totally unnecessary and not really on-point. Also in clip above, the lil rant about violent video games was cringe-inducing. We get it.

Tacitus_

Just had an issue with this on Steam. Downloaded and installed, but upon running, got a "Failed to start the game" error message, prompting me to re-download. Tried verifying the cache and there are apparently 51 files missing which Steam is now re-downloading, which will take me another 43 minutes.

Ugh.

Is this a common problem?

I've had Steam forgot some files a couple of times. One time it forgot some files like three times in a row which was kinda annoying since I had to launch the game and crash it before Steam figured it screwed up.

JRW

There seems to be a bug with the in-game Vsync option. every time I load Blood Dragon the games lacks Triple Buffering (stays locked at either 30 or 60fps).

But if I change the Vsync option from 1 frame to 2 frames, hit apply, then change it back to 1 frame and apply triple buffering starts working like it should (hovers around 50-60fps).

EVGA GTX 480 w/ 314.22 driver / Win 7 64

Bumhead

Banned
I've had Steam forgot some files a couple of times. One time it forgot some files like three times in a row which was kinda annoying since I had to launch the game and crash it before Steam figured it screwed up.

Haha, nice. Hope this isn't one of those cases as I'm itching to play this.

Listening to the soundtrack though in anticipation and half expecting a naked Arnold Schwarzenegger to bust through my front door any minute now.

antitrop

Bumhead said:
Listening to the soundtrack though in anticipation and half expecting a naked Arnold Schwarzenegger to bust through my front door any minute now.
Speaking of, have you ever heard of the band Austrian Death Machine?

Top Bottom