• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess |OT| Misogynistic Cake

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Crazymoogle said:
Funny game. Loads of character. Ridiculous credits! :lol But I guess I'm not feelin' it. After 2+ hours and two straight games, it feels like the princess capturing really drags on too long in a stalemate. Gut impression is that it's almost too complex for its own good, in a way?

Will give it another try on the weekend.
I feel the same. I love the game a lot, but I just can't get into it. I can't figure out what it is.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Snipes424 said:
I am getting so fucking angry @
the lava level in sp
The ai is too dumb to enter the castle and it's impossible to solo get the princess back.

- Build the catapult in your castle.
- Gather 3 AI followers (up on D-Pad)
- Jump together from the catapult
- Land into enemy castle
- Grab princess
- Run
- Run
- Run
- Run
- ???
- Win

oh, and the Soccer game is crazy :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
TTP said:
- Land into enemy castle
- Grab princess
- Run
- Run
- Run
- Run
- ???
- Win

I did not know this.

Snipes424

TTP said:
- Land into enemy castle
- Grab princess
- Run
- Run
- Run
- Run
- ???
- Win

Yeah I actually just found out there was a catapult on that level, before when I was getting my AI followers and jumping into the shortcut they would jump in the lava :/.

K2Valor said:
I feel the same. I love the game a lot, but I just can't get into it. I can't figure out what it is.

After thinking about it...It feels a lot like I'm micro'ing in an RTS. Tons of minute level control, but absolutely no influence on the macro play. I want to say it's frustrating, but it's more like I just feel a certain level of helplessness over getting the objective done, particularly when you get near the castle and you get overwhelmed by AI spawns and bombs everywhere.

It's almost as if there's too much setup time vs. the "reward" of getting in there and trying to change things?

Incomplete thought, though...

Kimosabae

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
After thinking about it...It feels a lot like I'm micro'ing in an RTS. Tons of minute level control, but absolutely no influence on the macro play. I want to say it's frustrating, but it's more like I just feel a certain level of helplessness over getting the objective done, particularly when you get near the castle and you get overwhelmed by AI spawns and bombs everywhere.

It's almost as if there's too much setup time vs. the "reward" of getting in there and trying to change things?

Have you tried playing a with a human majority yet?

-Kimo

.GqueB.

Banned
Crazymoogle said:

The hell are you playing the single player for?

Just finished single player since I couldn't do any online matches.
This is a great multiplayer game, such a shame about online though. I connected 10 times and I only got into a game once which ended abruptly because I think the host quit. I'll try tommorow and see if it works.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bearillusion said:
Make you sure you're at NAT 2 and not 3.

It was, but I finally connected to a game. Pretty fun. There has already been times where I wish I could move the camera though. =/

ha1f

Damn it, just had a great game where a few of us had mics, but the host quit. Then I get into another game, and is back to freeballing douchebags.

:(

I tried uploading the credits to YouTube but it's blocking the audio due to copyright reasons... which is the main reason why it's so hilarious/awesome.

Lame.

Trevelyan

Banned
j-wood said:
So, the all important question.

Is this game worth it?

Yes, it really is. The game earlier with other GAFfers was intensely entertaining and satisfying. The sense of teamwork is great and the action is hilariously satisfying. Get it.

I am currently ranked 70s out of 1000. I don't know if that's really good but I can and will say that I'm really enjoying this game. I've been the top scorer with deaths and and kinds of things and the extra fun at the end of the game for the top scorer is strong motivation in online matches.

Online alone is incredibly pleasing. This game is simple, fast and well done. I've just finished up playing about 5 online matches in a row. I now know where my time will go for the rest of the summer. :)

Get this game.

noah111

Still Alive
Wow.. I LOVE this game, seriously. Online a a god damn blast when playing with a room full of real people, especially when there is actually communication going on and real team work, while that's sort of rare (people usually off doing their own thing generally) it's still awesome. Played a bunch today, mostly online with a few friends. To all those going ballistic over not being able to get into an online match, chill.. the game just released, this is expected with every title nowadays yet each and every time there are meltdowns. When I DID get in a game, I simply never leave it and im fine, plus the games are generally lag-free entirely, as well as quite stable in terms of frame rate. Note this is all while playing a game with a full 32 real live players running around wreaking havoc on each other. It is sort of disappointing that there is no clan system in place, but not a huge deal..

I really have no complaints with this game other than the obvious release issues (no being able to join a game), other than that this title is flawless fun. Classes are also totally balanced IMO, you just need to get a grip with each of them. The only class I could see improvements balancing with is the upgraded Priest, where you can drain peoples lives It seems a tad too strong in some games, but when there is teamwork on the other side and people are in groups/teams of twos, it becomes a much more balanced experience.

Tomorrow I would love to hop on into a GAF game, where there is serious teamwork and communication, those games are always a blast and seriously intense. :D

PS- If we're gonna set up a game/chat room it should be done in this thread, not here (lurkers will take up the slots).

Velsk

Neo Member
Got a few hours of games in tonight and I'm really enjoying it. My go to classes have been the Worker at the beginning of the rounds to build everything up, then I usually switch to the Priest and do my best to keep everyone alive on the front line. The Priest feels very similar to the Medic in TF2, which I believe was a conscious decision by the devs, and I think it's awesome.

Unfortunately though pretty much every match I found has been fairly laggy, which reduces the experience a bit. I really wish that instead of just putting you straight into a game you could filter by game type and see a list of servers available to join where you can then pick the server with the best latency/human player count. It seems like every console game nowadays uses a matchmaking system like this where you're automatically thrown into a game without a choice as to which server you want to play on.

I think in theory this kind of system works well in games like Halo, or Gears of War 2 where you're matched up with teammates first, and then a host is picked and you auto join the game with no server selection prompt. These games have shorter matches, so if you find a laggy game your suffering is limited to 5-10 minutes.

I don't think it works too well in games that follow the.. I guess PC route, where the game never ends. At the end of the round when one team wins the game simply starts over again. I wish they had followed Guerrilla's lead and setup their multiplayer to function more like Killzone 2, as I think a system like that would have fit much better.

Regardless though the concept of this game is great and it is a load of fun. I just hope they're able to fix the connection issues soon.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ha1f said:
Damn it, just had a great game where a few of us had mics, but the host quit. Then I get into another game, and is back to freeballing douchebags.

:(

Isn't there host migration? I'm pretty sure devs mentioned it in the last blog video interview.

Too bad about online tho. I have yet to get into a game and the lack of a party system is crazy stupid.

Wollan

There is host migration. I became host after someone left earlier.
Maybe migration is denied if the players left have lower bandwidth.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Jeez sometimes these matches go on forever. Did a match for seemed 30+mins until the timer went off :lol

Having fun, will go back on it tomorrow :D

GQman2121

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Jeez sometimes these matches go on forever. Did a match for seemed 30+mins until the timer went off :lol

Yeah, that map was a real bitch. No catapult just doesn't seem to work very well. It was still fun, but no one was trying to get organized on my side.

I'm going to stay in tomorrow night and play more. Hope to see some more of you guys on.

Crazymoogle said:
Funny game. Loads of character. Ridiculous credits! :lol But I guess I'm not feelin' it. After 2+ hours and two straight games, it feels like the princess capturing really drags on too long in a stalemate. Gut impression is that it's almost too complex for its own good, in a way?

Will give it another try on the weekend.

Maybe try a different gametype if you don't want to stick it out to see who can get a strategic advantage in Capture the Princess.

Neverfade said:
How do I make sure I'm running NAT 2?

Pretend I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

XMB
Scroll all the way to the left
Go to the right one
Scroll down to the bottom
Select network connection
Scroll to the bottom

KilgoreTrout said:
GG, everyone. Hopefully we can get a bigger GAF room going tomorrow.

Yup, it was fun. Need more teamwork and mics usage though. GG's in all.

A few thoughts on the game: The strength and challenge in this game is in the teamwork, otherwise it is pretty straight and lacks depth. Work with your team or perish. I got into games no problem tonight and I am still getting a feel for this game. However, I can't seem to get too many people working together. You NEED big groups of people working together or you just run around for 30 minutes getting NO PLACE. It can be frustrating.

Is it worth the money?

Yes, IF you like to play with others and not go off by yourself and act like a one man army.

noah111

Still Alive
Corran Horn said:

This. It's something i forgot mentioning in my impressions, the games go on waaay too long, but that's only because both teams just aren't trying to get each others princess. Then it's just like an hour long blood fest of going at each other repeatedly. To be fair though, when there is team work and both sides are really trying to get their princess, it doesn't feel like its trailing on too long..

Wollan said:
Invasion is my favorite mode. Matches end up at a nice 15-20min and there's multiple objectives.
How does that mode work exactly? I never got a chance to try anything other than soccer (just with several friends and bots) as well as the standard beta modes (TDM/CTP).

KilgoreTrout said:
GG, everyone. Hopefully we can get a bigger GAF room going tomorrow.
I'll definitely be on tomorrow, only got a chance to play with a few gaffers today.

ty_hot

After a lot of tries, I could play my first online match!

I was the 2nd in the first "round" and then I voted for one map, which won, and I was the best player then.

The bad part is that after the second "round" I took a look in the players, and they were all BOTS.

WHERE IS THE ONLINE? SHIT!

But the game is awesome, buy it!

icechai

wow this game is so awesome, but i guess its not $20 b/c there's no clans, server browsing, cancel button in match making, and a few other polishing complaints. But man it was fun playing in the few games i got into with cj :p

This game is fun. But it feels like a beta.
The game has some glitches (camera, platforming, etc.) It just feels clunky.
And oh god the lag. The horrible horrible lag.

Other than that its great fun.

icechai said:
wow this game is so awesome, but i guess its not $20 b/c there's no clans, server browsing, cancel button in match making, and a few other polishing complaints. But man it was fun playing in the few games i got into with cj :p

Hell yeah, had a blast tonight! The only problem I see is I got disconnected and tried to reconnect for about 30 minutes to no avail! I am sure they will fix most of the network problems soon!

Jaroof

Sorry I only got to play two-- er 1 1/2 games with ya, Kilgore, Viper, and pwonager...
Gotta wake up early for work n stuff..
I'll be back on tomorrow for more though :D
Slowly getting the hang of it.

cjtiger300 said:
Hell yeah, had a blast tonight! The only problem I see is I got disconnected and tried to reconnect for about 30 minutes to no avail! I am sure they will fix most of the network problems soon!

Ahh dude I need to add you to my friends! Haven't played with you since the good ol Uncharted 2 beta days :D

KillJade

Banned
Just played online for three hours straight, had an absolute blast. Thankfully I met up with a few random guys with mics, that were really playing well together as a team, so we dominated the opposition all night. I think we went 6-0. :D

Communication is key in this one, thankfully the voice chat works great, nice and clear.

I had a few lag spikes while running, but it never interfered with gameplay, and although it failed on the first attempt, once I got into a game on my second try, I stayed in there the whole night until i was done.

Two big thumbs up from me, this game is all kinds of fun.

And yes, the end credits (option is available to check them out right from the get-go) are all kinds of awesome. :D

Crazymoogle said:

This is exactly how I feel after finally playing some games. I think the RTS-ness is pretty neat. I actually dug being a peon. But building things up seems like it takes quite awhile, and when I finally made the transition to offense the game dragged on and on, even with a somewhat co-ordinated team. It wasn't like the games were close and tense. No real progress was being made most of the time. It was extremely frustrating. In most objective oriented team games I've played you can be somewhat effective running off on your own or in small groups, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I definitely felt helpless whenever I wasn't farming.

Is there any benefit to capturing towers in the princess mode? I know you can deliver ore and lumber to them, and you can climb into them, but other than that?

No one's using mics. A lot of the games are filled with bots because of all the connection issues. Most games are also extremely laggy. And thanks for putting in goofy online trophies, devs. In my last game I lost my first place spot to some dickhead who was going for the 1,500 calorie achievement. All he did was feed the princess cake throughout the entire match.

The combat lacks oomph and it can be very difficult to keep track of what's going on. I kinda wish there was a dual analog control scheme, with attack mapped to R1. I find it difficult to choose targets as a priest with the current setup, and I'm not sure it auto locks to the teammate with the lowest health. Maybe it's something that gets easier with practice.

The game's lovely, but there are some rough spots. Like how the catapult on the lava stage occasionally launches you into the lava, which is instant death, and it's done in a way that kinda makes it look like a glitch. The animation when jumping into the warp pipe is odd too. It looks like you're falling short, but you still get sucked into it. The same animation plays when you jump in holding the princess, but with her you die. And there were a few other instances of trial and error gameplay where the error wasn't exactly obvious. Stuff like that bugs me. Really does feel somewhat beta-ish, like they kicked it out the door and they plan to polish it via patches.

Proc

Downloading my copy now.

PaulvicThrust | Proc | GMT-5

$15 seemed a bit steep after paying the same for 1943 but this seems like too interesting of a game to pass up.

noah111

Still Alive
DevelopmentArrested said:
This game is fun. But it feels like a beta.
The game has some glitches (camera, platforming, etc.) It just feels clunky.
And oh god the lag. The horrible horrible lag.

Other than that its great fun.
Wait, what? I must be missing something, what glitches? What feels chunky (did you play the game more than 10 minutes to get a hold on the controls)? What lag?

I dunno, im just not seeing any glitches, chunkiness or lag in online games. :s

Top Bottom