• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Sports Teams, and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty self-explanatory, I just want to know where the rest of Gaf stands on their favorite teams. What do you like about them? Hometown pride? Play the game in such a compelling way? Tend to support the teams that you feel deserve some extra help due to their woes? Something else? Who ya got!

As for me, I'm a big fan of:

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers. Favorite team of any sports, period, dedicated to them every year no matter how bad they are (this year has, ironically, been the most exciting season I've watched, because it's The Lakers). Not a fan of the Phoenix Suns though I do hope they do well every year. Other than that, I tend to enjoy watching the teams that play the most interesting Basketball of the season (since I furthermore love the sport in general), though I don't consider myself a fan. Hawks and Grizzlies play the most interesting BBall this year, for myself.

NFL: Arizona Cardinals. Favorite Football team ever. Grew up less than twenty minutes away from their new stadium. I also tend to be a fan of the team that never gets any respect, can't wait until the franchise wins the Super Bowl for the first time. Regardless, support for them year in and year out. We also have one hell of an entertainment destination by the stadium (Westgate is the place!).

NCAAF: Georgia Bulldogs. Bulldogs are the only team that come close to dismantling the Lakers as my favorite team in any sport. I've been a die hard fan since High School, and I don't ever consider backing down anytime soon. Pretty much made me fall in love Sports as a whole, honestly. Really, when the mere mention of Tim Tebow, Steve Spurrier, and Urban Meyer is enough to send you into fits of anger, you know you love your team.

MLB: Arizona Diamondbacks. Probably the first team I ever loved watching, I was there with the beginning of the franchise. I Remember when the team had Purple colors and played in Bank One Ballpark, Randy Johnson in his prime, and the memories of watching them actually win the World Series. Can't for next season.

NHL: Arizona Coyotes are my team, even though I'm not much into Hockey yet. I would love to get into it, and I can't think of any other team I want to support. Yeah, they suck, but another team in which my pride of Arizona is enough. Hope they win something and bring a title to the city.

Not much into College Basketball, Baseball, or other sports. Aside from Football, I go Professional. I'll watch College Basketball or Baseball on occasion.

Philly for life ladies and gents. Gotta stick with the hometown teams.

NBA: 76ers

NFL: Eagles

MLB: Phillies

NHL: Flyers

MLS: Union

Cheering for anyone else would be a violation.

Edit: This sums me up pretty good
10488108_785489141521566_3005922931548553868_n.jpg

Even though they are a bunch of chokers in playoffs, I still root for the Dodgers because they are the closest to me. It's painful to see the Giants win every other year but hopefully this is our year.
They'll probably choke again in the playoffs.

Football: Chelsea. They're the first team from Premiere League that I came to know of. Two of our National football player came from Chelsea Academy (Younghusband brothers). I think it was back in 2005 when I read the magazine about them and the club. And the rest, as they say is history.

sqwarlock

NFL: San Francisco 49ers - Dad raised me as a fan during the Montana/Rice/Young eras so it was incredibly easy to grab onto the team. And as a former resident of AZ for 27 years, fuck the Cardinals :D

NBA: Seattle Supersonics - Loved watching Kemp & Payton play. Haven't followed the sport since they (the Sonics, not specifically those two players) went away.

MLB: Oakland A's - For some reason I went the opposite from my dad on this one. He's always been an Angels fan and I felt the need to rebel I guess. I did like the Diamondbacks for a time (their World Series win remains one of the best things I've seen as a sports fan), but they made really boneheaded moves after that win that made it hard to care.

NHL: Anaheim Ducks - What can I say, I loved the films and it was a natural choice to root for them when they came into existence.

linkboy

NFL: 49ers. I grew up in northern California when the 49ers were on their super bowl run back in the 80's.

MLB: Giants, mostly for the same reason as the 49ers, just minus the championships until recently.

entremet

Mostly NYC teams: Yankees, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, Red Bulls.

College Football: FSU because of Deion
College Basketball: UNC because of Dean Smith
International football: USMNST because of Landon Donovan
EPL: Chelsea because I love the colors and storied history.

620-bernier-thumb-620xauto-328189.jpg

NHL - The Toronto Maple Leafs: Yes, they're bad on an annual basis, but it's a curse. I used to love them, but it's now more frustration than anything.

MLB - The Toronto Blue Jays - I'm more of a fan of the Blue Jays than baseball in general. I get bored if I watch too much of it, or other teams.

NBA - The Toronto Raptors - I don't care all that much about basketball, or the NBA, but I want the Raptors to do really well.

NFL - The Minnesota Vikings - I'm not an NFL or football fan, but I follow it and cheer for the Vikings because my friend does.

NLL - The Toronto Rock - Just starting to find interest in lacrosse

CFL - The Toronto Argonauts - I barely watch them, but cheer for them.

MLS - TFC

I was more or less dragged into being a fan of the Dallas Cowboys because my mom was a fan when we lived in Nebraska (she had grown up in Plano, TX). She even got me and her matching Cowboys jackets. I started rooting for the team myself, even though I didn't know anything about football. When we moved to Colorado, she became a Broncos fan, and I took her place as the family Cowboys fan. I finally learned how to play football with NFL Fever 2002 (Xbox), and I've been following them more closely ever since.

Raptor

Real Madrid

Ever since I saw them play with Hugo Sanchez like 25 years ago or something I got hooked to that magic that no team can reproduce.

Im not even from Spain lol.

kris.

Banned
NFL - Kansas City Chiefs

MLB - Kansas City Royals

Pretty much mainly because I was brought up by my dad as a Chiefs/Royals fan and have lived in KC most of my life. I like Sporting KC as well but don't really follow them much because lol soccer lol what is this Europe?

Oh and I also really like KU teams. Mizzou and K-State can both suck a dick.

Heysoos

NFL: Cowboys
NBA: Spurs

Spurs was the first team I really got into. For some reason, probably because I lived so close to the border, I was able to see a lot of the Spurs and David Robinson on TV when I lived in Mexico.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Houston Texans above all

Then Houston Rockets and Astros but I follow football a lot more than basketball or baseball. We don't have an NHL team though so I've been following the Colorado Avalanche for like 20 years now.

NFL: Eagles = first city my family moved to from overseas and rooted for them ever since.

NCAAF: Florida Gators = Raised in FL

I'm a baseball man and I am a fan of the Metropolitans of New York. LETS GO METS!!!

QNaCMXu.jpg

They have some fine pitching and some ammunition in the minors. I think the Mets are going to have a fun season!!

YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!

0xhbiLw.jpg

As for why, My dad is a huge Mets fan and I grew up hearing stories about Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Cleon Jones..etc. I was just 10 when the Mets won in '86. I think the future is bright and hopefully will see the Mets win it all...and soon!

shira

Fuck pro sports teams. They trade all the players every other year and expect us to pay insane ticket prices to watch them lose

/Toronto sports fan rant.

I like teams from towns I was either born in or lived, but I do have a few random ones.

Hockey: St. Louis Blues. Been a blues fan for many many years. I was born in St. Louis and remember watching Brett hull among others. Still with them to this today. But I also like Calgary. Why? Jarome Iginla somehow became my favorite player out of nowhere and even though he doesn't play there anymore I am still a fan of that team. I also liked Theo Fleury a good bit. Also I am pretty sure I am the only person in Baton Rouge with a Calgary Flames hat.

Football: saints and LSU. New Orleans is my hometown so there will always be a soft spot for that team. And LSU is my alma mater and I wish we could get back on track. I also like Michigan, which is another out of nowhere team for me as I don't remember why I started liking them in the first place.

Basketball: This one hurts but I am a Lakers fan and this season has been brutal. I was a fan before Kobe and Shaq but after Magic and Kareem. I was more a fan of Van Exel, Eddie jones and Cedric Ceballos. Yeah. Those guys.

Baseball: again it's a hometown feel. I keep an eye on our LSU team hoping the magic comes back and I keep an eye on my birth town St Louis Cardinals.

Wow that was a lot to type.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
NBA: Nets. My favorite team across all sports, even though they're alway underachievers. I think going to some playoff games in the early 00s when they were good and just watching prime vince and jason kidd made me love them.

NFL: Giants. Watching them be terrible for most of my life, then winning 2 SB's felt so good. Especially against the Pats.

MLB: Yankees. I remember going to games with my dad and uncle when I was a young kid then getting priced out in the core 4 era. Worth it to watch them field some of the most dominant teams in sports history though. I'll probably never witness one of my favorite teams have a run like 98-2009 yankees did, and I'm ok with that.

NHL-Montreal Canadiens. This is my favourite team of all time. My Parents took me to a Home Game when I was super little. The Goalie in net was one of the Greatest Goalies I have ever seen in my life, that Man was Patrick Roy. He inspired me to become a goalie in my Elementary school years.. I wasn't so great but I stood with the team for nearly all my life.

Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Dolphins.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Who ever is playing the Red Sox.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Yankees.
Knicks.

Syracuse Orange is my favorite NCAA basketball team.
Auburn Tigers is my favorite NCAA football team.

Kite

Basketball: Houston Rockets - I grew up watching Hakeem bring the city two championship rings and dazzle the crowd with his unreal footwork. There won't be another center like him ever again. And that Yao Ming guy was pretty nifty as well.

LHVLFge.gif

dafinezt

Banned
NFL: Vikings - was born in MN, raised as a Vikings fan.

NBA: Suns - Loved Nash and Stoudemire so I became a Suns fan.

MLB: Mariners - I live in Seattle. Don't really care for baseball though.

NCAA Football/Men's Basketball: UW - Alma mater.

I only really watch NFL these days.

MIMIC

Banned
Cleveland Cavaliers. I'm from Cleveland. After LeBron left, I became more of a playoffs guy rather than a regular season guy.

Cleveland Browns. I'm from Cleveland. I don't watch much NFL, but I root for them whenever they're playing

The Ohio State Buckeyes (football). My alma mater. I wasn't a college football fan at ALL before going to Ohio State. Now, I'm a HUGE fan and try to watch as many games as I can. I also root for the teams in our conference.

MiszMasz

Crystal Palace, because I grew up in SE London and I'm not a complete dickhead, so Millwall was never an option and who the fuck cares about Charlton?

Soft spot for Liverpool because I've got a lot of mates there and I used to live in Manchester, which is the best way I know of to put yourself off both its teams and their fans.

draetenth

Pittsburgh Pirates and Pittsburgh Steelers - my dad is from Pittsburgh so I just started rooting for them along with him.

Seahawks
Sonics
Mariners
UW Huskies
Sounders (okay I don't even watch but moral support!)
Storm (Same as above....)

ugh... cause Seattle?

NFL: New Orleans Saints
My home state team and the only sports team I'm a fan of. I love them dearly, and they've spoiled me rotten more often than not over the last decade. If the Saints were able to win a championship, then believe me, your team can too.

NBA: People watch pro basketball?

MLB: I love the end of the season stretch and postseason, but don't have any team I care for.

NCAA football: I watch it, but don't root for any teams.

NCAA basketball: March Madness is pretty cool.

Throw soccer and hockey into the NBA category.

Red Comet

I picked all of my favorite teams based on what teams I could watch on local TV, and because I'm located between Philly and DC that yields some mixed results

NFL: Eagles
NBA: Wizards
NHL: Capitals
MLB: Nationals

DarkFlow

Banned
NBA: Phoenix Suns because I was born in Phoenix and lived there most of my life.

MLB: Boston Red Sox and Dbacks. Being born in Phoneix in 1983, we didn't have a hometown team to cheer for. My mother and all the side of the family is from Quincy Mass so the Red Sox's are deeply ingrained. The Dbacks because they were the hometown team and we had season tickets. I also went to Game 1 of the 2001 World Series, So it was extra sweet watching the Yankees lose WHAHAHAHAHA.

NFL: Arizona Cardinals because of the same. Pats to a small degree but I'll pick the Cards over the pats in a head to head.

U of A for all college sports.

EDIT: Also fuck all you Native Arizonans that cheer for the Lakers and 49ers. You bring great shame upon our great state.

Seattle Seahawks - My dad grew up in Spokane, and moved before I was born. We watched Raiders and Seahawks games growing up because his dad was a Raiders fan, and he's a Hawks fan.

Oakland Raiders - See above.

Seattle Supersonics - Outside of Jordan, Shawn Kemp was my favorite NBA player. I loved watching him dunk as a kid. When the team was wrongly moved to Oklahoma, I lost most interest in the NBA. These days, I just sit back and wait for the eventual Atlanta Hawks collapse every year.

Seattle Mariners - I don't really like baseball anymore, but I've been an M's fan since the days of Griffey Jr., Buhner, and Randy Johnson.

Don't really root for any team in college football/basketball.

I haven't latched onto a hockey team since our dumbass owners let the Thrashers leave. I guess I pay attention to the Predators since they're the next closest team and I'll actually attend their games once in a while.

I'm generally not a sports guy.

But I'm a SJ Sharks fan. They are near me and I grew up in Minnesota. Hockey is great . . . so fast-moving.

Edit: Additional teams:

NFL: Vikings

MLB: Fuck baseball, it is too dull.

Basketball: Meh, not a fan.

sqwarlock

NBA: Phoenix Suns because I was born in Phoenix and lived there most of my life.

MLB: Boston Red Sox and Dbacks. Being born in Phoneix in 1983, we didn't have a hometown team to cheer for. My mother and all the side of the family is from Quincy Mass so the Red Sox's are deeply ingrained. The Dbacks because they were the hometown team and we had season tickets. I also went to Game 1 of the 2001 World Series, So it was extra sweet watching the Yankees lose WHAHAHAHAHA.

NFL: Arizona Cardinals because of the same. Pats to a small degree but I'll pick the Cards over the pats in a head to head.

U of A for all college sports.

EDIT: Also fuck all you Native Arizonans that cheer for the Lakers and 49ers. You bring great shame upon our great state.

Not as much shame as Arizona sports teams! (Dbacks excluded)

Seriously though, I always loved being the guy that didn't root for the home team most of the time. Made for some great experiences with friends and foes alike.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Born and Raised Yinzer. Football is my favorite sport.
Pittsburgh Penguins - Born and Raised Yinzer. Hockey is my second favorite sport.
Penn State Nittany Lions - Not too sure where this began in all honesty. I've just been a fan for as long as I can remember.

These are the three teams I ADORE, and make sure I watch absolutely every game.

I'm a casual fan of:
Pittsburgh Pirates - Again, Yinzer, but I'm not a huge fan of baseball.
Chicago Bulls - Honestly? I grew up loving their logo and Michael Jordan. It's stuck with me to this day.

Woffls

Southampton FC - Mum's side of the family are from Southampton, lived near there for most of my life, and my Granddad was a dedicated supporter.

Anno

NFL aside I'm a total homer. Ohio State, Reds, Bengals, more recently the Bluejackets and Crew. Even local Columbus high schools.

The NFL was the first sport I ever really watched and for some dumb reason became a Patriots fan because as a kid they were the only team I knew that had a good player with my name (Drew Bledsoe), so I kinda glommed onto them.

Mostly though OSU is the only one I get too fanatical about.

Born and raised in Grand Rapids, MI.

Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions
Michigan Wolverines

I also bandwagon the New England Patriots every year after the Lions' complete their annual collapse. I have a huge man crush for Tom Brady as he was the QB for the first football game I can remember watching.

The Seahawks and Mariners because I'm from and continue to live in the area. After the Sonics left my interest in the NBA dropped to completely zero, and I've never really been a fan of other team sports.

DarkFlow

Banned
Not as much shame as Arizona sports teams! (Dbacks excluded)

Seriously though, I always loved being the guy that didn't root for the home team most of the time. Made for some great experiences with friends and foes alike.

Hey, U of A won a Championship too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom