• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

I just watched that Ty Dillenger and Bobby Roode match in NXT at Toronto. That bit when Ty gets Roode to flick the "ten ten" by stomping on his feet was fucking great. Shit like that puts a smile on my face.

8huwwqY.jpg

Wouldn't Ted sue Virgil for using his name on the banner because Ted no shows?

Browny

Banned
Ah, Mickie. This reminds me of the time I woke up and Hasney had been educating everyone in the marvel of Nigella Lawson, when WrassleGaf was crossing over with CookingGaf.

By the way, how long are we stuck with Zenk? I need to bring back the Fieri...

Hasney

Ah, Mickie. This reminds me of the time I woke up and Hasney had been educating everyone in the marvel of Nigella Lawson, when WrassleGaf was crossing over with CookingGaf.

By the way, how long are we stuck with Zenk? I need to bring back the Fieri...

o4vExnm.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Watching CM Punk Best in the World thing on the network, Hunter talking about his first title reign like "yeeeeah youre the champion but not really" could be applied to any non-Vince big guy in that company lol.

Watching CM Punk Best in the World thing on the network, Hunter talking about his first title reign like "yeeeeah youre the champion but not really" could be applied to any non-Vince big guy in that company lol.

It was creepy how much they literally (minus the rumble) just redid Benoit's 2004 push in 2014 with Bryan. Won a triple threat match at a big anniversary mania in a Triple Threat match via a crossface and then had their first major feud be with Kane.

In Bryan's case they just skipped the Mania rematch and went straight to Kane. Kane in a title fued in 2004 was already lame let alone 2014. But literally it was like poetry... it rhymed

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ive never seen the straight edge society stuff and this shit looks wild on the documentary. Now thats a heel.

"I was tucked away on smackdown so I could get away with more"

LOL even they admit Smackdown is second fiddle to Vince. "Tucked away"

Edit: lol at throwing Miz under the bus for the WM main event

Striker

His first two WHC reigns were super shitty. He wasn't ready, his character was vanilla as it gets and WWE were as usual inept. Most of those MitB champions (really aside from Edge and Kane) were terribly run. Look at Swagger's run.

Hasney

His first two WHC reigns were super shitty. He wasn't ready, his character was vanilla as it gets and WWE were as usual inept. Most of those MitB champions (really aside from Edge and Kane) were terribly run. Loon at Swagger's run.

There was a former writer that said that CM Punks first ECW title win and at least one of his MITB wins was because who they wanted to win (Morrison for the ECW one) was about to get wellness popped.

Striker

His second cash in and heel turn was great - he can Jeff Harvey fed off each other well. Then he didn't wear a suit and Taker took the belt off him.

Recall

So many WWE champions get the belt but never actually get main event slots or stories, they just seem like place holders, which is dumb for your main belt.

Jamie OD

So many WWE champions get the belt but never actually get main event slots or stories, they just seem like place holders, which is dumb for your main belt.

Worst was probably when RVD was champion and had a title defence against Edge in the middle of a PPV instead of the main event. It didn't even have a semi-main event spot, there was something like 3 advertised matches that happened afterwards.

Googling it says it was Vengeance 2006.

klonere

Banned
OTT just sold 1200 tickets for their big April show in 10 minutes.

And I didn't get one

Because I'm stuck in a meeting

For a job I won't have in a month

I bet there's a ton of US indies looking at the EU scene with intent jealousy right now, shit's insane. There does seem to be a general malaise with the US indies at present, no one seems likely (or able) to grow beyond their current standing, whereas over here numerous promotions just keep going from strength to strength.

Nah, the capacity's about 2000 once you include general admission tickets. Definitely gotta see OTT this year, April's far too stacked for me already, unfortunately.

I bet there's a ton of US indies looking at the EU scene with intent jealousy right now, shit's insane. There does seem to be a general malaise with the US indies at present, no one seems likely (or able) to grow beyond their current standing, whereas over here numerous promotions just keep going from strength to strength.

If there was a way to get RevPro and Progress in a single sub I totally would. Outside of BOLA I haven't really enjoyed any other US indie stuff I watched. And even Bola can get tiring a little quick.

AAW's the one US indie I really enjoy at the moment, they're always putting on good shows and (unlike most) have made some serious effort to significantly up their production, which is another area the US promotions are really falling behind in. The only problem is they're beholden to SmartMark Video, so while .mp4 releases at $11.99 a pop are pretty timely, it also means their on demand service only has titles from 6 months ago.

Ironic that SMV and Highspots did so much to advance the US scene in the 2000's, now they're almost hindering it by forcing promotions to stick to out of date distribution methods.

I appreciate you pushing the UK thing super hard because I wouldn't have checked it out chalking it up to indie wrestling dorks, but man has the stuff I watched been so much fun.

AAW's the one US indie I really enjoy at the moment, they're always putting on good shows and (unlike most) have made some serious effort to significantly up their production, which is another area the US promotions are really falling behind in. The only problem is they're beholden to SmartMark Video, so while .mp4 releases at $11.99 a pop are pretty timely, it also means their on demand service only has titles from 6 months ago.

Ironic that SMV and Highspots did so much to advance the US scene in the 2000's, now they're almost hindering it by forcing promotions to stick to out of date distribution methods.

The bolded is cause I don't give a shit anymore :p

The italics were always how I felt, they just made it very obvious. They're both quite behind the times. SMV NEVER wanted to do iPPVs or streaming, they got dragged kicking and screaming into them.

klonere

Banned

OTT just outsold the NXT show that was in Dublin. There isn't a single US indie that can even come close to saying that, including companies with TV like ROH/TNA. I think WWE's mindshare and stranglehold over the US market, along with the insane incompetency of their competitors (again ROH and TNA) has meant that 95% people view WWE as the only possible conduit for wrestling.

Also I think European wrestling got lucky with a lot of seemingly competent, passionate people got involved at the right time, with the right talent and technology to overcome the legacy of the Alex Shane's of the world.

Hasney

OTT just outsold the NXT show that was in Dublin. There isn't a single US indie that can even come close to saying that, including companies with TV like ROH/TNA. I think WWE's mindshare and stranglehold over the US market, along with the insane incompetency of their competitors (again ROH and TNA) has meant that 95% people view WWE as the only possible conduit for wrestling.

Also I think European wrestling got lucky with a lot of seemingly competent, passionate people got involved at the right time, with the right talent and technology to overcome the legacy of the Alex Shane's of the world.

It seemed to also help that WWE wasn't really scouting and poaching everyone with any talent for a long time. The stories of Drew, Sheamus and Barrett seemed to be that WWE were in the country for a show anyway and happened to catch a couple of shows while they were there and picked them up that way. Right time right place.

klonere

Banned
The bolded is cause I don't give a shit anymore :p

The italics were always how I felt, they just made it very obvious. They're both quite behind the times. SMV NEVER wanted to do iPPVs or streaming, they got dragged kicking and screaming into them.

Can you explain why US indie production is so so so shit. Even EVOLVE, while competent, has just the most drab, perfunctory presentation possible.

It's SO easy these days, it's nuts. You don't need the SMV's of the world.

To be fair to Highspots, the Highspots Network is a very worthwhile sub, even with the PWG delay.

Remember that time HHH kept telling Punk it wasn't him he had to get over with, it was THEM! The fans! He just kept saying it for some reason, meanwhile the crowd are chanting "CM PUNK CM PUNK" over and over.

Then HHH had to move the goal posts cause his promo was failing and said well, maybe they love you now but what about years ago? After Punk had just got through telling the story of how on Punk's first PPV they were chanting for him during stupid DX's terrible PG face reunion shit lol.

ubc04dM.gif

klonere

Banned
US indies are also really shit at social media for the most part. And from all the southern indie twitter lads I follow, have a real problem with being run by old timers or at least beholden to outmoded methods of promoting/booking/distribution.

First Punk, now Paige. What is it with these wrestlers that makes them think they can just walk into MMA careers with no background in legitimate competition?

US indies are also really shit at social media for the most part. And from all the southern indie twitter lads I follow, have a real problem with being run by old timers or at least beholden to outmoded methods of promoting/booking/distribution.

The southern indies really infuriate me, there definitely is a hotbed of talent down there that's being overlooked or isn't even on the radar for a lot of the bigger promoters, and the sole reason for that is how fucking backward they are in terms of distribution and production.

Foggy

AAW is definitely my favorite US indie but they still have a long ways to go. You can pump their tires all you want, but when a friend wants to check them out, they either have to settle for watching 6 month old shows on a streaming service or plunk down $12 on an mp4. People only pay north of ten bucks for PWG on the regular. Their commentary is also suspect.

AAW is definitely my favorite US indie but they still have a long ways to go. You can pump their tires all you want, but when a friend wants to check them out, they either have to settle for watching 6 month old shows on a streaming service or plunk down $12 on an mp4. People only pay north of ten bucks for PWG on the regular. Their commentary is also suspect.
Is AAW 6 months behind? They've always appeared fairly current on Highspots, the last one is November tho

Top Bottom