• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Cagey

Banned
The network is aimed at the more hardcore fans and the more hardcore fans have shown that they will continue to watch and buy the product no matter how bad it is, if only to continue to participate in the zeitgeist.
Even the hardcore who hate Raw and actually follow through on the promise to not watch would still want NXT, available on the WWE Network.

Ithil

I'm surprised WWE's subs didn't drop more given how bad the product has been. They might get up to 1.4-1.5 million by the time Mania rolls around.

I suspect they've already flattened out. It looks like that 1-1.3 range is their maximum average even with all the worldwide launches they did. They were expecting, what 3-4 million worldwide within a few years?
They'll get that WM bump for the Spring but the rest of the time, eh.

jmdajr

What have they given us to be enthralled by exactly? Hell, when was the last time the WWE gave us anything to be enthralled by? Was it Banks vs. Bayley last summer?

The best part of this morning's Observer radio is when Meltzer starts talking about the biggest point of the Bryan Danielson story that everyone covering it is missing (i.e. how soon CTE can be directly diagnosed and the ramifications this will have across the entire contact sport landscape - wrestling, MMA, boxing, football, hockey, etc.)

Possibly. Rumble was ok.

CTE? Yes the research is going to have a huge.........IMPACT.

We also need to travel back in time and tell that person to hold their sign the right way up.
I wondered what was going on back there

Counterpoint:

tumblr_nzegafMrZ61v04h1go1_250.gif

Chris Jericho probably used all the drugs which is why his stomach now looks like Krang got in a street fight.
Lol!

Maybe that's just how he is built..and now he's old.
These kids don't know about that rockstar lifestyle brrr!

NXT was pretty solid

-I really don't mind Baron. His character/performance is good enough. Not my favorite to watch but I don't think he really deserves "boring" chants yet
-Cameron seemed really bad
-Why are Alexa Bliss and friends dressed like Freddy Krueger? I love it but still
-Jordan/Gable and Enzo/Cass promo was good
-The Drifter is the worst gimmick, Graves' heel commentary was funny though
-Bayley/Carmella was pretty good. Two consecutive crossbodies to the outside was weird...expected a counter to the second rather than a recreation
-Asuka the best. Love that her character is just "say nothing and make a face" and it works. I hope when they bring her up to main roster she just walks into other people's interviews/promos and stares at them

KingBroly

Banned
I suspect they've already flattened out. It looks like that 1-1.3 range is their maximum average even with all the worldwide launches they did. They were expecting, what 3-4 million worldwide within a few years?
They'll get that WM bump for the Spring but the rest of the time, eh.

They'll always get more for Mania season.

I think they need to put Summerslam back at 3 hours, though. 4 hours is FAR too long for something that's not in a Stadium/Ballpark.

Menome

The Drifter lacks for any actual substance. All he does is carry a guitar to the ring and wear a scarf.
He doesn't play the guitar, or sing a song, or smash it on someone's head (the only historical use of a guitar in wrestling outside of Hollywood Rock), he's just an FCW type wrestler but he carries a guitar.

Graves eviscerating him on commentary was the only high point.

He played it once, when he appeared in London. You know: the capital city of the nation best known for travellin' country music.

jmdajr

Vince says...who cares about ratings
As noted, Vince McMahon is currently on a 2015 WWE fourth quarter earnings conference call, and during the Q&A portion of the call Vince spoke about current WWE TV ratings.

Vince explained that the company is not as worried about TV ratings as they once were, and he added that while WWE TV ratings might be down, they are not as down as other shows which air on the same networks as WWE programming.

Vince said people just aren’t watching as much TV as they used to, and while TV is still important to WWE, with all the social and digital content they now have, people are consuming content when they want to as opposed to when it airs on TV, which is very important to WWE.

Vince noted WWE used to “live and die” by TV ratings, but those days are gone, and we are in a new era of media.

Vince says...who cares about ratings

they get payed ether way regardless of ratings, but their next tv deal might be rough and the network is not in shape to support them full time.

also are they making money off these other ways?

they only leverage they have is that USA is a worse network without wwe. what USA is willing to pay is another question

Ithil

Vince does realize he won't be getting the same crazy ass TV deal again with these ratings, right?

Given the current "new" TV deal was apparently far lower than they had been expecting, they may have a bit of a problem on their hands in about two years.

UberTag

The network is aimed at the more hardcore fans and the more hardcore fans have shown that they will continue to watch and buy the product no matter how bad it is, if only to continue to participate in the zeitgeist.
Pretty much this. Hardcore wrestling fans suck and don't back their disgust with their wallets. They are spineless sheep. Even video game fans have more of a backbone.

Wrestling fans will happily pay the WWE $9.99/month (and more for merch, tickets, etc.) and then go on the Internet and bitch about them for 6 hours.
And all that tells the WWE is to continue the status quo because it's "obviously working".

The Drifter lacks for any actual substance. All he does is carry a guitar to the ring and wear a scarf.
He doesn't play the guitar, or sing a song, or smash it on someone's head (the only historical use of a guitar in wrestling outside of Hollywood Rock), he's just an FCW type wrestler but he carries a guitar.

Graves eviscerating him on commentary was the only high point.
That'll be his audition tape for getting promoted to the main roster. Nothing attracts the attention of Steph and company more than a guy capable of burying the talent.

Cagey

Banned
Vince does realize he won't be getting the same crazy ass TV deal again with these ratings, right?
The crazy thing is that he just might. If ratings continue to fall across the board and if USA has data showing Raw is relatively DVR-proof (note: LOL how do people watch this without fast forward) compared to their scripted and reality fare, the drop off in ratings would be put in a context that makes it seem normal.

somedevil

Depends on how much better there show ratings are compared to all the original content USA produces itself. Plus it seems WWE is losing some viewers to youtube which is funny because they get money from that while USA doesn't see a dime from it.

Plus this Meltzer picture MLW found is amazing:

shaowebb

So D. Bry retiring, Titus O Neil punished, HHH is part of the KKK.

We don't seem enthralled by the actual wrestling show at the moment.
But hey..what's new?

I ask that same question about the WWE everytime I tune in and suddenly HHH is at the top of the card with a belt, and they try and convince me Taker, Kane, Show, and Mark Henry still add anything to a match in terms of intimidation factor. Folks need to know when to retire from the televised product and start building up new talent. I think a lot of the problem is they keep making new characters into cartoon joke characters instead of anything resembling what a legit action oriented lead role in a story people would mark out for should be.

Depends on how much better there show ratings are compared to all the original content USA produces itself. Plus it seems WWE is losing some viewers to youtube which is funny because they get money from that while USA doesn't see a dime from it.

That looks like Brian Pillman

Anth0ny

holy shit

officially the most bad ass pic of meltzer on the internet

Fox318

117 - 71

Metlz surely has a better shoot record than that

Pretty much this. Hardcore wrestling fans suck and don't back their disgust with their wallets. They are spineless sheep. Even video game fans have more of a backbone.

Wrestling fans will happily pay the WWE $9.99/month (and more for merch, tickets, etc.) and then go on the Internet and bitch about them for 6 hours.
And all that tells the WWE is to continue the status quo because it's "obviously working".

They'll happily pay because it lets them have access to a massive library of content. I feel like WWE is in a weird spot where it's become easy for people to only tune into PPV and immediately know backstory. There aren't enough moments to keep people watching week in week out.

I know for me the biggest reason I watch RAW is because I spend four hours a day commuting so RAW (and sometime Smackdown) is a great filler.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

That'll be his audition tape for getting promoted to the main roster. Nothing attracts the attention of Steph and company more than a guy capable of burying the talent.

What it actually is is a sign that the popularly held opinion on NeoGAF that everyone hates WWE isn't actually true, its just an echo chamber. Anecdotal evidence doesn't become non-anecdotal because you don't personally know the people giving the anecdote.

WWE has hired a big PR firm to help promote Stephanie McMahon as the company’s Chief Brand Officer. The WON reports that the company hired the new firm to push McMahon as a “friendly public face” for WWE.

The first appearance that the new firm landed for McMahon was her recent Good Morning America appearance, and more are on the way. The firm is also aiming to get McMahon recognized for her charity work in the same way that Dallas Cowboys Chief Brand Officer and EVP Charlotte Jones Anderson is.

Not everyone can handle being the bad guy.

WWE has hired a big PR firm to help promote Stephanie McMahon as the company’s Chief Brand Officer. The WON reports that the company hired the new firm to push McMahon as a “friendly public face” for WWE.

The first appearance that the new firm landed for McMahon was her recent Good Morning America appearance, and more are on the way. The firm is also aiming to get McMahon recognized for her charity work in the same way that Dallas Cowboys Chief Brand Officer and EVP Charlotte Jones Anderson is.

didn't that appearance get bumped?

Anth0ny

maybe she should, like... stop playing a bad guy on tv

I know this would probably cause her to spontaneously combust... but maybe get the heel authority figures off TV for a little while. like, right after mania. Maybe they can mix it up by introducing a *shock* face authority figure?

only problem is choosing that face. unfortunately, no one comes to mind. I can't think of anyone lovable, off the top of my head, that could fill in such a role. Like, someone with nothing else to do at the moment that is still signed with the company. it would have to be someone the fans love. damn.

anyone?

Silent_Z

Verendus was right, ratings shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum.

It's an interesting picture when you include that live event ticket sales are up in both quantity and price domestically. International's up in quantity but price per seat dropped. The only part of WWE's biz that's sagging in any recent report is TV viewership. They're clearly doing something right by a number of segments of dedicated fans.

Fox318

Company cares more about her than anything else.

Cagey

Banned
maybe she should, like... stop playing a bad guy on tv

I know this would probably cause her to spontaneously combust... but maybe get the heel authority figures off TV for a little while. like, right after mania. Maybe they can mix it up by introducing a *shock* face authority figure?

only problem is choosing that face. unfortunately, no one comes to mind. I can't think of anyone lovable, off the top of my head, that could fill in such a role. Like, someone with nothing else to do at the moment that is still signed with the company. it would have to be someone the fans love. damn.

anyone?

Does a face authority figure actually work though? The dynamic seems off: if the person or group in charge are good guys, then the faces have the greatest power in the company on their side, and it turns the heels into underdogs. A face authority figure putting the heel in a match to give them comeuppance just seems like a heel thing to do.

The few times I remember seeing it on WWE TV, I remember thinking it was an awful idea -- regardless of execution.

How could this be made to work? Honest question, not rhetorical.

It's an interesting picture when you include that live event ticket sales are up in both quantity and price domestically. International's up in quantity but price per seat dropped. The only part of WWE's biz that's sagging in any recent report is TV viewership. They're clearly doing something right by a number of segments of dedicated fans.

I think it could be viewership fatigue. Fans aren't feeling compelled to tune in for 3 full hours, well I guess 5, every week for story lines that don't really progress. I've definitely been told by some people they only watch PPV. It's anecdotal, but I'm sure there is a big segment that is like that.

Does a face authority figure actually work though? The dynamic seems off: if the person or group in charge are good guys, then the faces have the greatest power in the company on their side, and it turns the heels into underdogs. A face authority figure putting the heel in a match to give them comeuppance just seems like a heel thing to do.

The few times I remember seeing it on WWE TV, I remember thinking it was an awful idea -- regardless of execution.

x240-Jk0.jpg

vlcsnap-00006.jpg

Anth0ny

Foley worked. You just have to have the right person in that position. That person that connects with the fans and knows how to talk.

Anyways, on a completely unrelated note, here's the final yes chant:

It's beautiful ; _ ;

Ithil

Watch William Regal on NXT. It works. He shows up to make rulings on matches, make announcements for future shows, set up matches, etc. Everything he does is logical and consistent, and he never takes over the show. He doesn't flip flop from face to heel, or do twenty minute promos about himself.

The key to any authority figure now is to never have the show revolve around them. Unless you're exceptional like Dario Cueto, and even then he's never the star of the show.
They should be used just to facilitate the booking for the real stars of the show, the wrestlers.

UberTag

What it actually is is a sign that the popularly held opinion on NeoGAF that everyone hates WWE isn't actually true, its just an echo chamber. Anecdotal evidence doesn't become non-anecdotal because you don't personally know the people giving the anecdote.
I have never once said that everyone hates WWE.
I've said that the WWE is putting out a shitty main brand product.

Lots of people love Michael Bay and Adam Sandler movies, too. Doesn't mean they're any good and above criticism.

And, you didn't refute my main argument... that there are a bunch of hypocritical people out there who actively hate the current product and still paying money for it.
They simply rationalize or justify their way around doing so... and then have the audacity to expect the WWE to change what they're doing. Why would they? They have your money that you continue to give them.
It would be like decrying microtransactions or Amiibo while still forking out tons of money on them.

Sephzilla

Face authority figures stay mostly unseen and only show up to set up fair final showdowns between feuding superstars. It works and is generally better for storytelling, but WWE hasn't had a true face Authority figure since probably Foley.

jmdajr

Any news today?

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted Roman Reigns has been in the main event segment of WWE RAW 14 out of the last 16 weeks. Reigns had been featured in the segment 11 weeks in a row at one point; the last RAW without him main eventing was on October 12th.

UberTag

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted Roman Reigns has been in the main event segment of WWE RAW 14 out of the last 16 weeks. Reigns had been featured in the segment 11 weeks in a row at one point; the last RAW without him main eventing was on October 12th.
This week broke that 11-week streak, I'd imagine. That's quite the run. Or was it broke before Monday?

Heroman

Banned

Over exposure is going toreally hurt roman in the ling run.

Ithil

The only thing an authority figure, face and heel, really needs, is an actual motivation that's consistent.
William Regal has the motivation of wanting a clean wrestling show that runs smoothly and fairly. Thus he gives fair opportunities to faces and heels both, if they've earned them, and people who haven't earned anything get the chance to do so. So he's a face because he's upstanding and honest.
Dario Cueto wants to make money, and he does this by promoting matches and shows that fans will pay for. So he gives faces and heels alike the opportunities in order to make big matchups to make him more money, and gives no shits about the welfare of his wrestlers in the process. So he's a heel because he only cares about his greed and has no morals.

Stephanie and HHH want...something. What is it has never been defined, now is how they plan to achieve this undefined thing even more so. They are just there, making random matches and never having any consistent motivation or logic behind them. They shit on faces then give the faces free opportunities. They support heels then shit on said heels in the next segment. They constantly talk about being best for business but never actually talk about making money and constantly do things that accomplish the opposite.

Vince used to have this, it's what made Vince vs Stone Cold so great, but eventually he just devolved into a cartoon villain who does shit because they need shit to happen.

Top Bottom