• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

iMax

How long until WWE puts live RAWs (with commercials) on the network in lieu of a TV deal? I feel that's the way things are probably going.

Sephzilla

How long until WWE puts live RAWs (with commercials) on the network in lieu of a TV deal? I feel that's the way things are probably going.

I don't think we'll ever get Raw simulcasted on TV and the WWE Network. At best we'll get "next day" type of deal like Hulu

Nekofrog

Banned
I think I remember reading somewhere that Rey mysterio jr had a ton of respect for hall because he was one of the only guys backstage stumping for him, maybe I'm wrong

It honestly felt like once the nwo hit big everyone except for hall decided "we're the stars, we don't have to make anyone look good because only we matter".

Zach

So I was wondering when my descent into madness began...

gYi4em3.png

Almost two years now. I am a sick man.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The kind of person who would think HBK is cool is the kind of person who would think Nash wasn't the one giving HBK his coolness.

wwf-00122.png

I think I remember reading somewhere that Rey mysterio jr had a ton of respect for hall because he was one of the only guys backstage stumping for him, maybe I'm wrong

It honestly felt like once the nwo hit big everyone except for hall decided "we're the stars, we don't have to make anyone look good because only we matter".

Vince used to get mad at Hall whenever he wrestled a young Jeff Hardy because he would give Jeff 'too much'

not hard to win a bunch of titles in the modern njpw hot shotting era

like saying jeff jarrett is a bigger deal than harley race because he's got more world titles

Jarrett THINKS he is. And in fairness, Jarrett's overblown indy promotion did a lot better than Race's overblown indy promotion.

As was made mention during the broadcast, it took Chono seven title shots before he won his first IWGP title, and he didn't win it until he turned heel and formed nWo Japan. Goto is taking the same path, since he now seems to be going through a heel turn himself (or at least a tweener turn if he joins CHAOS)

Ric Flair

Banned
WWE has hired a big PR firm to help promote Stephanie McMahon as the company’s Chief Brand Officer. The WON reports that the company hired the new firm to push McMahon as a “friendly public face” for WWE.

The first appearance that the new firm landed for McMahon was her recent Good Morning America appearance, and more are on the way. The firm is also aiming to get McMahon recognized for her charity work in the same way that Dallas Cowboys Chief Brand Officer and EVP Charlotte Jones Anderson is.

Not everyone can handle being the bad guy.
Theres still a public perception that wrestling is inappropriate for children. I could see why this would be beneficial to the business. Make parents reevaluate whether or not their kids can watch wwe on Monday nights

Fox318

Theres still a public perception that wrestling is inappropriate for children. I could see why this would be beneficial to the business. Make parents reevaluate whether or not their kids can watch wwe on Monday nights

Yeah the kids watching TV instead of on their phones or tablets at 10 pm on a school night.

Fox318

If wrestling was truly targeted towards kids they would be on a more kid friendly network or on a Saturday.

Right now the average raw viewer is in their 40s.

yuraya

The next time Vince sits down with Comcast to renegotiate the deal he will definitely push the network. I think at the very least he will talk them into giving him RAW on the network immediately after it finishes on USA. They will broker some deal where everybody wins.

RAWs are kinda more valuable than PPVs now. If someone pays like 60$ a month for cable that comes out to like 15$ per RAW which is bigger than any single ppv order via the network. Its starting to show too since the PPV's are getting worse n worse n worse. So if RAW goes live on the network the problem would become price. They would probably be forced to bump up the sub fee to like 15$ or 20$ per month.

If wrestling was truly targeted towards kids they would be on a more kid friendly network or on a Saturday.

Right now the average raw viewer is in their 40s.
Absofuckinglutely.

I remember the last time they had something on Saturday was maybe 2 years ago. But now nothing. Kids who don't have cable can't get their fix of wwe anymore.

Verendus

Banned
We're two weeks away from Roman Reigns putting down Dean Ambrose for the second time.

That blood feud. It's slowly beginning. We will speak of their children, and their grandchildren, decades from now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As was made mention during the broadcast, it took Chono seven title shots before he won his first IWGP title, and he didn't win it until he turned heel and formed nWo Japan. Goto is taking the same path, since he now seems to be going through a heel turn himself (or at least a tweener turn if he joins CHAOS)

Chono was being booked as THE guy of the three musketeers. Way before he went heel. Hash and Mutoh getting over big before he did was an unforeseen event. Chono was getting the big matches with the big time WCW guys, Chono was getting far more WCW exposure in a fair light than Mutoh had, he just didn't stick because green pants Chono has no personality.

Goto was never booked as THE guy and at this point it's too late. The only comparison Goto can be drawn to of the Musketeers is the fourth non-musketeer, Hase.

Kaiterra

Banned
We're two weeks away from Roman Reigns putting down Dean Ambrose for the second time.

That blood feud. It's slowly beginning. We will speak of their children, and their grandchildren, decades from now.

#Ambreigns' children, as portrayed on Deviantart, indeed

Verendus

Banned
What's #Ambreigns?

Why are you bastardizing Roman Reign's name like that? He's the future of this company. He deserves some respect.

Verendus

Banned
Well, I'm definitely not googling now. You're saying that because it's something messed up. I'd rather not know, even though I have an inkling now.

So I was thinking can anyone name the last great success character Vince McMahon and the writing staff actually created themselves?

Personally I think the last guy that a writing staff/bookers created wasn't even in WWE it was in WCW with Goldberg. Almost all other stars I'd argue worked out inspite of the creative team.

Verendus

Banned
Well, I don't know who gets the credit for it, but Batista is probably the obvious choice. Has there been anyone more successful than him in the last decade aside from Joan Cena himself? There hasn't, and he was clearly a product of great storytelling. That Wrasslin'Mania 21 story is one of the best of all the times in the world.

Well, I don't know who gets the credit for it, but Batista is probably the obvious choice. Has there been anyone more successful than him in the last decade aside from Joan Cena himself? There hasn't, and he was clearly a product of great storytelling. That Wrasslin'Mania 21 story is one of the best of all the times in the world.

Hmm touche Batista is a good answer. Cena though I think largely got himself over until the WWE was then forced to acquiesce.

Cena's actually stated that HHH and Vince wanted to fire him back in the day which I believe as I have heard that it was the happy accident of him dressing up as Vanilla Ice and rapping during the Halloween Smackdown episode of 2002 that saved his job and jump started his career.

So basically rapper Cena was all him and not creative.

“Never give up. Back in 2003, 2002, when I was just wearing boots and tights and I was supposed to be the ruthless aggression young good guy, nobody in the company liked me. I know Vince McMahon won’t admit this, but he wanted me fired, Triple H wanted me fired, everybody hated me. They just wouldn’t give me a forum to showcase my talents. I’ve always been able to connect with the audience if given the ability to speak.

“I got that ability and I was off to the races. I was up against all odds. I wasn’t born into this business. I’m not a third generation guy or a second generation guy. I’m just a dude who grew up a fan like all you guys and I wanted to do this my whole life. And I never gave up. That’s the advice I give to all the young cats, all the guys who have been trying and trying, trying to make it, attempt after attempt. I’ve failed many times, but you never ever give up.”

http://411mania.com/wrestling/john-cena-says-that-vince-mcmahon-and-triple-h-wanted-him-fired/

Fox318

Batista was the last person that they wanted to put over and he got over.

He is proof that if HHH wants to put somebody over he can.

Striker

The few times I remember seeing it on WWE TV, I remember thinking it was an awful idea -- regardless of execution.
William Regal was probably the best commish/GM/authority figure they have had outside Vince doing it in '98-99. Just, I think, in general it has been done to death and needs a serious break. Especially with the McMahons.

Fox318

Just rewatched HHH/Sting from WM last year.

Why did I do that?

Hey man HHH just had to go over.

I mean the build and payoff for the year long Rhonda Rousey feud and The Rock working a full year instead of using the WWE to promote his action movie that month.

Chono was being booked as THE guy of the three musketeers. Way before he went heel. Hash and Mutoh getting over big before he did was an unforeseen event. Chono was getting the big matches with the big time WCW guys, Chono was getting far more WCW exposure in a fair light than Mutoh had, he just didn't stick because green pants Chono has no personality.

Goto was never booked as THE guy and at this point it's too late. The only comparison Goto can be drawn to of the Musketeers is the fourth non-musketeer, Hase.

Goto did have opportunities to be booked as the guy though (it looked like he was going to get the belt at WK6 from Kojima, they last minute went with Tana instead) and he was over, Gedo and Jado just always went with the proven draw. I wouldn't say it's too late, but I do think you need to freshen up his character which is what it looks like is happening right now. With AJ and Nakamura gone NJPW needs main eventers, and they just made a big deal about Tanahashi stepping down so you can't use him again. Naito is obviously the next big heel, and Suzuki-gun will probably come back soon as well, maybe even bringing Sugiura with them. Okada vs. Naito, MiSu, Sugiura, Shiozaki if he comes over...all big-time matches.

I know Bushiroad wants NOAH to remain autonomous and some guys will never jump to NJPW for long spells due to loyalty to Misawa, but there's a ton of talent there that can easily main event shows so it makes sense to start doing some cross-promoting.

Goto will never be the guy, and I'm okay with that.He might get a one-month pity reign like Nakanishi did before he became completely immobile. Okada is the ace now and likely will remain so for the next 10-15 years barring injury - he'll never jump to WWE given his terrible experience with a western promotion.

Top Bottom