• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

at what point was the talent led creative a thing in mid 1999? HHH has gone off and done his heel thing with sometimes associations with heel Billy Gunn, but Waltman and James are still doing the DX schtick like it's still awesome (it's not).

was it their choice to keep riding it? did they not want to change their characters? merch sales too good? writers keep them doing it?
Because the spilt wouldn't be long term. See DX 2000. Also dx still got a huge pop every though they were full heel at the end of 99.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
when does styles get promoted from "redneck rookie" to "wrasslin' redneck AJ Styles"

Nekofrog

Banned
Because the spilt wouldn't be long term. See DX 2000. Also dx still got a huge pop every though they were full heel at the end of 99.

yeah i get the kane thing and the turn, but were they really planning that far ahead?

because if so, why don't they do that anymore. the plan ahead thing.

jred2k

Smack down is good?

It's been home to some really good matches for a while now. It's just inconsequential. It seems like they are allowing a little bit more promo and story time now that it's on USA. Plus Mauro is much better at match-based storytelling. I still find it really difficult to get past the edited crowd reactions though. It makes the events of the show seem even more who-gives-a-fuck.

yeah i get the kane thing and the turn, but were they really planning that far ahead?

because if so, why don't they do that anymore. the plan ahead thing.
What? Are you really questioning the logic behind wwe after the year 2006? They can't even think one week after the other. Start being consistent for one whole month before thinking 6 months.

jred2k

Sting-01010249701-grey-flat_1024x1024.png

Sting of the Hill

So back when the Attitude Era first got started WWF used a lot of music library tunes for some of their talents and then that theme got stuck with them even as they became bigger deals so from time to time these people would leave the company and keep their theme or you'd hear it on a cooking competition show or whatever.

The Hardyz theme being the best example.

Oh absolutely. I used to hear that a lot on Spike when they'd go to break.

So back when the Attitude Era first got started WWF used a lot of music library tunes for some of their talents and then that theme got stuck with them even as they became bigger deals so from time to time these people would leave the company and keep their theme or you'd hear it on a cooking competition show or whatever.

The Hardyz theme being the best example.

Hardcore Holly's theme is another example. I heard that everywhere.

Anth0ny

How long has Mauro Ranallo been calling Smackdown? He's 1000x more talented than Michael Cole and JBL. Dude can call anything.

about six weeks now?

dude made cole sound like amateur hour on his first night. it's night and day.

the sooner cole goes and mauro becomes the voice of wwe, the better

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cole does whatever Vince screams into his headset so he's got a job for life.

BadAss2961

about six weeks now?

dude made cole sound like amateur hour on his first night. it's night and day.

the sooner cole goes and mauro becomes the voice of wwe, the better
I've seen him call MMA, then boxing, then wrestling. He's been great and knowledgeable at all of them.

Zach

Bingo. The problem isn't Cole or Saxton or anybody. It's Vince.
Cole and Saxton are definitely problems. Vince may be the bigger problem, but those dudes still suck.

And I've added the first Smackdown on USA to the queue to finally hear this Mauro guy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cole was really great on Beast in the East. I think most of the problem with him is that he isn't JR and wouldn't stand up for himself.

He's also really great in those sit down interviews or whenever he does something on NXT.

Cole usually does well when he's untethered from Vince. Pretty much everybody liked him on that "Beast from the East" house show with Brock Lesnar, and surprise, surprise, Vince wasn't there for that. The problem is that Vince has such insane preferences where commentary is concerned that he grinds away every enjoyable aspect of his commentators after a while.

So that Mr McManiquen could set an example to these millennial employees. He's sick of the crap and wants things to go back to the way they once were.

BWAHHHHHHAAAAAHAHA who am I kidding, idk

Because at the end of the day, you don't grab the boss' arm.

You don't go grabbing your boss by the arm while he's walking away alongside other important execs (Steph and HHH) and pull him towards you. They weren't playing characters during that time of Daniel's speech.

Was the punishment harsh? Yeah, he should've gotten 30 days and able to participate in Wrestlemania but not surprised that there had to be some sort of consequence.

I thought Vince had a open door policy lol, but yeah it makes sense in a normal business environment. WWE is far from that

Oersted

Road to Wrestlemania is in Germany.

Bo Dallas got squashed by Golddust and afterwards by R- Truth in Bremen.
Breeze got defeated by Swagger.

Breeze got squashed by Golddust and afterwards by R- Truth in Cologne.
Bo Dallas got defeated by Swagger.

As usual, Rusev is the gift that keeps on giving. He showed up in Cologne in a shirt by a local rival soccer team.

Becky Lynch was horrible on commentary like just abysmal. She doesn't know why she's involved in the match at all but in her defense I don't think anyone does.

Becky Lynch was horrible on commentary like just abysmal. She doesn't know why she's involved in the match at all but in her defense I don't think anyone does.
We never know what's her purpose.

WWE has a release date for their Scott Hall DVD/Blu-ray set. Wrestling DVD Network reports that the set is titled Living on a Razor’s Edge: The Scott Hall Story and will release on July 5th in the US.

The set will include a collection of Hall’s best matches and moments, as well as a main documentary described as follows: “Hear from the man himself, Scott Hall, as he candidly discusses his rise to wrestling fame, his decline with personal demons, and his attempt to get his life back while training his son to carry on his wrestling legacy.

vern

Hey guys... I posted some Chinese Pro Wrestling in here before and got decent feedback so I thought I'd share some more. I shot the photos for it, it was my first live wrestling event and I really had a lot of fun.

A friend runs the company and it's called Middle Kingdom Wrestling. He reads GAF but isn't a member yet but he'd love your thoughts on it so I'm posting for him.

Here is a cool 8-bit trailer thing he put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXrrDrx33dg

You could see a few of my photos from the event on Instagram @crossingchina as well... or on the MKW Facebook.

It ain't WWE but it's pretty cool seeing it start to take off out here in China. Hopefully it grows... Wrestle-GAF feedback is seriously appreciated.

Top Bottom