• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Mahonay

Banned
Repo Man once repossessed Macho Man's hat.

repomachohat.png
Hello darkness my old friend

JavyOO7

Ugh, I really want to watch the '93 RAWs but I just can't with the guy that's usually with Vince and Macho Man/Heenan in the commentary booth. He's worse than the 3 RAW commentators we have today, combined. I may just have to mute.

BFIB

Ugh, I really want to watch the '93 RAWs but I just can't with the guy that's usually with Vince and Macho Man/Heenan in the commentary booth. He's worse than the 3 RAW commentators we have today, combined. I may just have to mute.
Luckily he's short lived. Heenan is out about a month later too.

Mahonay

Banned
Sting and Dr. Death vs Jushin Liger and...Erik Watts.

One of these men is a fraud. One of these men is not like the others.

MG310

Grabbed a ticket for ROH/NJPW at Terminal 5 in New York. First row balcony seemed like a better choice than the Section D row 9 tickets that were showing up as best available. It looks like section D is the one that's mostly under a pretty low ceiling

Vince got himself fucked. So he signed Maromen expecting to get Johnny B Badd until he realized that's wCws character. So he had a guy that looked like JBB but none of the theatrics.

You know what the fucked up thing is about this, Vince gave Mero the first guaranteed contract and pissed off a lot of his talent in the process.

What a bust, haha.

Mahonay

Banned
Erik Watts gets the hot tag. A couple people cheer. One person loudly boos.

Holy fuck he is awful in the ring. Dr Death pins him. Thank god.

Cagey

Banned
When 8 guys had Yokozuna on the ropes in the Royal Rumble and were thisclose to getting the behemoth out of the ring, and then the Repo Man came in to ruin everything and save Yokozuna, little kid me flipped out.

I still hate him for it.

rrc1594

Damn I love how HHH was over vs Scott Steiner even tho he was heel. LMAO

All of WCW's top talent matches in WWE didn't flow well to me. Goldberg had no chemistry with anyone IMO.

Mahonay

Banned
During Masahiro Chono vs Great Muta

JR: "I wonder if they call it the Boston Crab in Japan."

Ventura: "I think they call it a Hiroshima crab in Japan, Ross."

JR:... *slience*

Ventura. "What do ya think?"

JR: *more silence*

shaowebb

This week's Squared Circle Gazette Radio episode is:

The Worst Gimmick Match Concepts Ever

Been listening to this and its hilarious. Makes me think of what my top worst gimmicks for a match are.

• "Anything' on a pole match
  • 4 corners matches...fuuuuuck these matches. Always just holding a dude and walking around.
  • Buried Alive matches
  • Casket matches
  • Dog collar matches

What are your 5 most "turn the channel" gimmick matches?

Cagey

Banned
So if a non giantbomb knowing fan so this, i wonder who they would think was Dirty Dan Rykert? Bottom right looks like a hobo.

All I know about Giant Bomb is that it's a thing that exists and I'd guess the dude with the white sunglasses. He gives off a Leisure Suit Larry sleaze vibe.

EDIT: dude in top-right has a shirt with YCK showing so I guess that's him and he's wearing a shirt with his name on it.

Recall

Been listening to this and its hilarious. Makes me think of what my top worst gimmicks for a match are.

• "Anything' on a pole match
  • 4 corners matches...fuuuuuck these matches. Always just holding a dude and walking around.
  • Buried Alive matches
  • Casket matches
  • Dog collar matches

What are your 5 most "turn the channel" gimmick matches?

WCW/TNA reverse battle royal

Recall

All I know about Giant Bomb is that it's a thing that exists and I'd guess the dude with the white sunglasses. He gives off a Leisure Suit Larry sleaze vibe.

That's Joey Ryan. The internet has informed me he has a mighty powerful opponent defeating penis.

Mero's working style as B Badd relied heavily on a very spry high flying style. Having one knee completely gimped seemed to be too much for him to overcome. And his persona was very one dimensional, quick footed boxer meets Little Richard. He got to WWF he only had the boxer part left which was super boring. Just not a lot there.

Steve always was very strong in the simpler meat and potatoes type of wrestling. He lost the ability to put on technical showcases every week after his neck was destroyed, but it's place he honed in and perfected his very real looking working punches and kicks, and cranked the Stone Cold character way up. His tremendous personality and explosiveness carried him for the rest of his career.
When Mero first came he was putting on an awesome show, he was still JBB just without the gimmick. He had the look of a boxer with the skill set of XPac but cleaner. When he turned heel that's when he was one sided and nothing more.

I like the mention of how Austin perfected the punches and kicks. I think it's because Vince allowed him to stiff him a little bit so it came off more fluid with others. Like he said in an interview, I just had my punches, kicks, and I'd stun the son bitches.
Repo Man once repossessed Macho Man's hat.

repomachohat.png
Macho Man made every little stupid feud enjoyable. Even Crush, seeing crush try his hardest was comedy.
I'm in late 1996 and I'm already fast forwarding through every Marc Mero match.
What? His matches are still good. It isn't until late 97 when you can say fuck off Mero.
Watching all the wrestling while your recovering has to made you want to call a match. Then take Cole's job
Funny, I went to school for it, same school Vince and Linda attended. But it's something that I think of everyday ever since my mom said, being a wrestler isn't realist.
You know what the fucked up thing is about this, Vince gave Mero the first guaranteed contract and pissed off a lot of his talent in the process.

What a bust, haha.
Vince tried to hide it and he knew his top guys were like, wait wtf? 250,000 is what he paid him.

During Masahiro Chono vs Great Muta

JR: "I wonder if they call it the Boston Crab in Japan."

Ventura: "I think they call it a Hiroshima crab in Japan, Ross."

JR:... *slience*

Ventura. "What do ya think?"

JR: *more silence*
😂😂😂
I always thought his one liners were funny. I hate that he had to go 😢

Kaladin

Least Fave Five Gimmick Matches

1. **** On A Pole Matches - These things always work the same way.
2. Strap Matches (aka four corner matches) - These things always ended the same way. They're also the #1 reason I hate Savio Vega. All of his feuds = strap match.
3. Inferno Match - It's another build to a spot that ultimately disappoints match.
4. Tables Matches - Or any matches involving tables. A) You know whenever someone sets up a table, the opponent is going through it. B) You know any table set up is going to be used, so any pin or ending set up before that happens won't work.
5. Casket Match - This is another one of those build to an ultimately disappointing spot kind of matches. There is a way you can do it right though, so it's on the bottom of this list.

Is it really "creeping" for someone to talk about a WWE photoshoot?

I've got a heart on.
Becky is gorgeous. Got damn
PG-Era Assbiz is gonna be rough, but we will persevere.
She needs to dump the hair color. Brunette please. Besides that good looking out friend. Great pics
Plus the only reason to post them being "someone mentioned becky, let's look at how hot she is'"

*shrug* just like my opinion man

Son Of D

This. Plus King Of The Mountain. And didn't they do a Feast OR Fired where someone was legit let go?

I remember Low Ki got a briefcase and actually left the company shortly after. However instead of just making him a victim of the Fired briefcase he lost the case to Christopher Daniels who was (kayfabe) fired instead.

Zach

Erik Watts gets the hot tag. A couple people cheer. One person loudly boos.

Holy fuck he is awful in the ring. Dr Death pins him. Thank god.

Dude was atrocious. I almost made and uploaded him in WWE 2K16 when I rented it. Would've been fun. >_>

UberTag

Least Fave Five Gimmick Matches

1. **** On A Pole Matches - These things always work the same way.
2. Strap Matches (aka four corner matches) - These things always ended the same way. They're also the #1 reason I hate Savio Vega. All of his feuds = strap match.
3. Inferno Match - It's another build to a spot that ultimately disappoints match.
4. Tables Matches - Or any matches involving tables. A) You know whenever someone sets up a table, the opponent is going through it. B) You know any table set up is going to be used, so any pin or ending set up before that happens won't work.
5. Casket Match - This is another one of those build to an ultimately disappointing spot kind of matches. There is a way you can do it right though, so it's on the bottom of this list.
I agree with you on pretty much all of these.

Can we include Ambulance Matches and Casket Matches together? They're pretty much the same concept and, if anything, the ambulance match is even worse because the visual of defeating your opponent isn't as rewarding and they typically wind up being finished away from the crowd and the ring.

Kaladin

I agree with you on pretty much all of these.

Can we include Ambulance Matches and Casket Matches together? They're pretty much the same concept and, if anything, the ambulance match is even worse because the visual of defeating your opponent isn't as rewarding and they typically wind up being finished away from the crowd and the ring.

Ambulance matches aren't as bad if they use the ambulance creatively in the final spot.

Similarly, stretcher matches are IMO, worse than ambulance matches.

Remember when they had the stretcher match where you had to wheel your opponent across the finish line?

Recall

I remember Low Ki got a briefcase and actually left the company shortly after. However instead of just making him a victim of the Fired briefcase he lost the case to Christopher Daniels who was (kayfabe) fired instead.

and there are people who fucking defend TNA.

Kaladin

Honorable mention to my Least Fave Five Match lineup:

TNA's Reverse Battle Royal : That match was all kinds of fuckery, but I doubt we'll ever see the likes of it again so it's not on the list.

Mahonay

Banned
Holy Jesus. The finish for the WHC match at Starrcade 92' is botched in impressive fashion.

- Both Ron Simmons and Dr. Death fail to make it back into the ring before the 10 count.
- The bell rings to end the match.
- Ron Simmons puts his arms up in the ring claiming victory.
- Nick Patrick waves it off.
- Gary Michael Cappetta starts announcing that both contestants have been counted out, but immediately cuts himself off when Dr. Death ambushes Simmons in the ring.
- While attacking Simmons, Dr. Death comes off the top rope and hits Simmons with a knee to the back of the head.
- A second ref comes in to break it up.
- Nick Patick starts yelling something at the announcer's corner.
- Cappetta announces that the decision has been reversed, and Dr. Death is now disqualified for coming off the top rope in the post match attack. Ron Simmons is pronounced the new winner and still WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

Jesse Ventura can't fucking believe what just happened. "THAT'S RIDICULOUS! THE MATCH IS OVER. YOU CAN'T GET A REVERSAL WHEN THEY'VE ALREADY HAD A COUNT OUT!"

Christ almighty. Welcome to the Bill Watts era.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is it really "creeping" for someone to talk about a WWE photoshoot?

No. She's cute. As far as I know its not a big deal unless it gets lewd or excessive.

I mean, Roman is apparently going to headline WrestleMania for the second year in a row entirely based on his looks.

Mahonay

Banned
Ventura: "You know Shane Douglas, you know who his idol is Ross? Rush Limbaugh. Imagine that?"

JR: "Probably not a bad deal. I like Rush Limbaugh myself."

Ventura: "You would."

UberTag

Holy Jesus. The finish for the WHC match at Starrcade 92' is botched in impressive fashion.

- Both Ron Simmons and Dr. Death fail to make it back into the ring before the 10 count.
- The bell rings to end the match.
- Ron Simmons puts his arms up in the ring claiming victory.
- Nick Patrick waves it off.
- Gary Michael Cappetta starts announcing that both contestants have been counted out, but immediately cuts himself off when Dr. Death ambushes Simmons in the ring.
- While attacking Simmons, Dr. Death comes off the top rope and hits Simmons with a knee to the back of the head.
- A second ref comes in to break it up.
- Nick Patick starts yelling something at the announcer's corner.
- Cappetta announces that the decision has been reversed, and Dr. Death is now disqualified for coming off the top rope in the post match attack. Ron Simmons is pronounced the new winner and still WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

Jesse Ventura can't fucking believe what just happened. "THAT'S RIDICULOUS! THE MATCH IS OVER. YOU CAN'T GET A REVERSAL WHEN THEY'VE ALREADY HAD A COUNT OUT!"

Christ almighty. Welcome to the Bill Watts era.
At least Ventura reacted appropriately. Just imagine today's WWE commentators reacting (or not reacting) to that nonsense.

So much for Angle retiring.

"Kurt Angle has finished his TNA dates, but he is not done wrestling just yet. Angle had previously said that he was not retiring, but that he was going to slow down. According to wrestlinginc.com, Kurt Angle will return to the ring and face Rey Mysterio on March 20th at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona The UR Fight event is a hybrid show, which will feature pro wrestling, boxing, MMA and grappling. The following is being advertised for the show…

* MMA: Ken Shamrock vs. Dan Severn
* Grappling: Michael Bisping vs. Chael Sonnen
* Boxing: Roy Jones Jr vs. a Fan ($100,000 challenge)
* Wrestling: Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle"

Top Bottom