• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Zach

Ventura: "You know Shane Douglas, you know who his idol is Ross? Rush Limbaugh. Imagine that?"

JR: "Probably not a bad deal. I like Rush Limbaugh myself."

Ventura: "You would."

I remember this. :D

At least Ventura reacted appropriately. Just imagine today's WWE commentators reacting (or not reacting) to that nonsense.

Yeah. Although, I enjoyed that Mauro fellow overall when I watched Smackdown earlier.

Ventura said all sorts of crazy shit too, dude just didn't give a fuck. Listening to him commentate is hilarious.

It really is fantastic.

somedevil

So much for Angle retiring.

"Kurt Angle has finished his TNA dates, but he is not done wrestling just yet. Angle had previously said that he was not retiring, but that he was going to slow down. According to wrestlinginc.com, Kurt Angle will return to the ring and face Rey Mysterio on March 20th at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona The UR Fight event is a hybrid show, which will feature pro wrestling, boxing, MMA and grappling. The following is being advertised for the show…

* MMA: Ken Shamrock vs. Dan Severn
* Grappling: Michael Bisping vs. Chael Sonnen
* Boxing: Roy Jones Jr vs. a Fan ($100,000 challenge)
* Wrestling: Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle"

That fan challenge one is hilarious. Anyone here who lives around that area going to take the challenge?

Also, Rey I bet wants that WWE money now those stories of him wanting to coming back and him leaving AAA because its a wreck right now.

Kaladin

"Kurt Angle has finished his TNA dates, but he is not done wrestling just yet. Angle had previously said that he was not retiring, but that he was going to slow down. According to wrestlinginc.com, Kurt Angle will return to the ring and face Rey Mysterio on March 20th at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona The UR Fight event is a hybrid show, which will feature pro wrestling, boxing, MMA and grappling. The following is being advertised for the show…

Dammit Kurt, you're 47....it's time to quit while you're still ahead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Vince's understandable aversion to a man dying in the ring is going to prevent him from coming back, but I just want to hear YOU SUCK one more time

Dammit Kurt, you're 47....it's time to quit while you're still ahead.

ed0.gif

Ambulance matches aren't as bad if they use the ambulance creatively in the final spot.

Similarly, stretcher matches are IMO, worse than ambulance matches.

Remember when they had the stretcher match where you had to wheel your opponent across the finish line?

Isn't that always how they work?

23KIOvZ.gif

Kaladin

You know one wrestling trope that bugs me?

Tables. Especially when you know the person that sets up a table is going to be the one going through it.

It happens nearly every time with few exceptions. We know the guy setting up the table going through it is a safety thing, but it just ruins the whole suspense factor of the spot.

It's mostly bad. But Austin's ascension and feud with McMahon is pretty great so far. There are highlights elsewhere (The Nation comes to mind), but they're few and far between. It seems like I'm watching DOA and DX at every turn and I'm not a fan of either.

Additional thoughts: Foley is usually watchable-to-great. Kane/Taker sucks aside from Paul Bearer being hilarious.

This kind of sums up my hesitation with re-watching attitude era PPV. I loved it at the time, I was a 14? 15?, but I suspect it is not aging well at all.

Browny

Banned
If Angle could be persuaded not to kill himself, then he would be a perfect Raw GM. Assuming he still knows how to use a mic.

Menome

This kind of sums up my hesitation with re-watching attitude era PPV. I loved it at the time, I was a 14? 15?, but I suspect it is not aging well at all.

I'm watching through the Attitude Era for the first time and it is pretty cringeworthy in places. Still some great moments, but I wouldn't want WWE to ever go back to "the good old days".

Mahonay

Banned
The King of Cable Sting vs Vader match has an amazing start. Sting German Suplexes Vader with relative ease. A lot of that was Vader's incredible agility for a man of his size, but it's still awesome to watch. Sting also superplexes him. They are both just going for it.

Vaux

I'm watching through the Attitude Era for the first time and it is pretty cringeworthy in places. Still some great moments, but I wouldn't want WWE to ever go back to "the good old days".

It wasn't just the Attitude era that made raw awesome, that combined with the Monday night wars that made it a can't miss show. I guess theirs really no way to replicate that.

Mahonay

Banned
It wasn't just the Attitude era that made raw awesome, that combined with the Monday night wars that made it a can't miss show. I guess theirs really no way to replicate that.
Well there's no longer competition and the company is run by a 70 year old Vince that only cares about his own personal booking ideas.

I miss the charisma and personalities that helped it so much (NOD, Austin, Foley) and how well the stories moved. But I'm beginning to realize a lot of the actual material was just bad and it set the stage for one up manship in matches. I wonder how many careers were shortened during this era.

Mahonay

Banned
Does Kane have the worst relationship issues in WWE history? He get betrayed ever time
Fuck man, that feud with DX. Where he tries to protect Chyna and HHH sets his face on fire. But it was all a ruse by Chyna and they all fuck him up. Even at 12-13 years old I felt so bad for him. I started to hate DX after that.

Vaux

I miss the charisma and personalities that helped it so much (NOD, Austin, Foley) and how well the stories moved. But I'm beginning to realize a lot of the actual material was just bad and it set the stage for one up manship in matches. I wonder how many careers were shortened during this era.

Yes I miss the personalities of the past eras. If only wwe would give these wrestlers a free mic, with just some directions to take the storyline, and the rest was up to them. That would weed out a lot.

Nekofrog

Banned
I never hated the guy until he did that X Factor shit, that was horrible.

literally one of the worst finishing moves i've ever seen in my life. and i have to see it once a night if he's on one of the RAWs my wife and I are plowing through. little guy kicks big huge guy in stomach, grabs his head, and somehow pulls him up into the air and slams his face into the mat.

literally the most nonsensical thing i've ever seen. i can suspend my damn belief for a LOT, but come on.

literally one of the worst finishing moves i've ever seen in my life. and i have to see it once a night if he's on one of the RAWs my wife and I are plowing through. little guy kicks big huge guy in stomach, grabs his head, and somehow pulls him up into the air and slams his face into the mat.

literally the most nonsensical thing i've ever seen. i can suspend my damn belief for a LOT, but come on.

It's just as nonsensical as the spear and superkick. 99.9% of spears are just someones forearm hitting the person in the waist.

Not the move but the shitty ass group with Montoya and Albert. X Factor was probably the most believable move for him at the time since he was so small. A spinning wheel kick just wasn't going to make it in the Attitude era.

Son Of D

Not the move but the shitty ass group with Montoya and Albert. X Factor was probably the most believable move for him at the time since he was so small. A spinning wheel kick just wasn't going to make it in the Attitude era.

The only thing I remember about the X-Factor group was that theme song. Someone thought that was fitting for them.

Top Bottom