• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

kirblar

Daniel Bryan was wrestling last year and coming off a big injury and basically nothing important actually happened on Raw other than Ambrose tried to his Reigns with a special move and Reigns just made his dumb Reignsmile in response. I mean, it's probably just that ratings have fallen off and not *actually* something specific to the events going on, but I guess we could throw it out there.

It's pretty funny they've done basically nothing to build Reigns into this event and spent the entire 4 week build pushing Ambrose, but its unfortunately probably just a smokescreen for Reigns Wins LOL.
I don't think it is. One Shield guy hasn't got the title, and he's the guy who prevents the crowd from rioting at WM.

They didn't have him drop the title randomly for no reason.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think it is. One Shield guy hasn't got the title, and he's the guy who prevents the crowd from rioting at WM.

They didn't have him drop the title randomly for no reason.

I've been predicting Ambrose to win the entire time, but I'm trying to be realistic here so I don't get let down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They have focused a lot of the build on Ambrose / Lesnar leading to Fast Lane....a surprising amount of the build actually.

Reigns has been relatively out of focus for a lot of it, but I don't know that it means anything in terms of the likelihood that Ambrose gets anywhere. Logical booking would dictate Ambrose wins and then wins at Mania for obvious reasons: because winning the title for the first time at WM is a big deal, Reigns gets booed in front of every single Smark crowd (and WM is smarky as it gets) and the company has a single babyface character that's presented as even vaguely competitive for the title these days in Reigns and you would think they would want to push a new guy into the spotlight.

The fact that it makes almost no sense for anyone other than Ambrose to actually win doesn't make it more likely though. They've pushed Reigns against the fans' wishes for over a year now.

I mean, in kayfabe nobody should realistically win other than Lesnar, but putting the title on a guy who traditionally takes a 4 month vacation right after WM makes pretty much no sense whatsoever unless they're going for the ultimate Fuck the Fans Swerve and leaving the title on HHH (which is pretty lol-worthy given the guy doesn't seem terribly enamored with being on the performer side of the business these days).

Heroman

Banned
With Ambrose losing the IC title there is a chance that he might win Sunday, cause if you think about it there was no reason for to lose the belt so fast.

Angry Grimace

Unless Ambrose is the red herring for lol Roman wins.

I mean, the problem is that building up Ambrose (and they have done a very good job at building the guy up) could just as equally be a swerve or a legitimate attempt to make the guy the focus at WM.

I mean, it's not like Dean is a midcarder: he's been a main eventer for a year+ and he could conceivably headline WrestleMania without it being a particularly huge gamble on WWE's part. It's not like when you have Batista and some random guy as the last two guys in the Royal Rumble and its obvious who is winning.

Well they did set up Roman getting booed at the pay per view with him facing Brock Lesnar and Dean Ambrose in his home state.

Well, they set up Roman getting booed at the pay per view by forcing him to fight two guys who are both way more over than he is. If their goal in doing this is somehow getting Roman over, it would be completely insane person booking to make him get to WM by pinning the most over face in the company. Particularly given that this specific scenario already happened at Survivor Series and they set up this whole thing where Roman was like "haha you've never beaten me anyways."

The part of me that thinks that WWE knows better than to book its premier event badly thinks Ambrose basically has to win, so that's who I'm guessing is winning.

Heroman

Banned
This whole feud has been so hard to understand from a booking sense, there really is no reason why anyone would cheer roman over Brock or dean, unless you are a really big roman fan and hate the other guys.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This whole feud has been so hard to understand from a booking sense, there really is no reason why anyone would cheer roman over Brock or dean, unless you are a really big roman fan and hate the other guys.

I think they're hedging their bets with Roman because they need to see if Cena can make it back in time for Taker. I could easily see Cena/Taker and HHH/Roman, or HHH/Ambrose and Roman/Taker if Cena doesn't make it back in time.

Alternatively, could see HHH / Ambrose, Cena / Taker, and Roman + Lesnar vs Entire Wyatt Family. Wyatts interfere at Fast Lane, taking out Brock and Roman, Ambrose wins, Brock and Roman decide to team up and beat down the Wyatts, and you can set up Heyman as Roman's mouthpiece when Lesnar takes his post WM break until Summerslam.

Angry Grimace

Maybe they surprise us and Roman doesn't win, but I'm not holding my breath.....or making avatar bets.

I mean, its basically good booking if you create a scenario where the fans want someone to win a particularly but nobody knows who will actually win. The problem though, is that the only thing providing dramatic tension is the booker's tendency to make really horrible decisions like Roman winning anyways.

Heroman

Banned
I think they're hedging their bets with Roman because they need to see if Cena can make it back in time for Taker. I could easily see Cena/Taker and HHH/Roman, or HHH/Ambrose and Roman/Taker if Cena doesn't make it back in time.

Alternatively, could see HHH / Ambrose, Cena / Taker, and Roman + Lesnar vs Entire Wyatt Family. Wyatts interfere at Fast Lane, taking out Brock and Roman, Ambrose wins, Brock and Roman decide to team up and beat down the Wyatts, and you can set up Heyman as Roman's mouthpiece when Lesnar takes his post WM break until Summerslam.

Yeah I somewhat agree, it looked like cena vs taker was really going to be their main event but cena return in question ,it force wwe to look at roman who isnt ready for that spot , also I cant see them roman vs taker cause it a lose/lose for roman, if he loses it does noting for him and taker and if he wins he will get nuclear heat.

Actually you all don't get it?

Brock is winning this Sunday. Monday night though, Taker will be back to say he's coming for the title in 3 way dance at WM. What better way to have him go out than winning the title against Hunter and the man who broke the streak?

As far as Dean and Roman, well that's a WM match.

What about the Wyatts?

They will go against Show, Kane, Ryback, and............ GOLDBERG!

Kevin Owens v. AJ for the IC title.

Kaladin

The most logical headline for Mania involving Roman would have been Roman vs Brock II. Last year's match had no real conclusion and there is still a bit of unfinished business there.

But they screwed the pooch by making 3H the champ.

Angry Grimace

Actually you all don't get it?

Brock is winning this Sunday. Monday night though, Taker will be back to say he's coming for the title in 3 way dance at WM. What better way to have him go out than winning the title against Hunter and the man who broke the streak?

As far as Dean and Roman, well that's a WM match.

What about the Wyatts?

They will go against Show, Kane, Ryback, and............ GOLDBERG!

Kevin Owens v. AJ for the IC title.

Brock Lesnar winning the Fastlane match makes the least sense out of all of the three. He has no real beef with HHH right now and winning the title only to walk away for like 4 months is a horrible way to promote your title.

The most logical headline for Mania involving Roman would have been Roman vs Brock II. Last year's match had no real conclusion and there is still a bit of unfinished business there.

They can still book that match at WM if they really want to even if both of them lose at Fastlane.

So is HHH not going to defend the title before Mania? That's over two months with no defences.

What happened to the 30 day rule? Get Jack Tunney on the phone.

Brock Lesnar winning the Fastlane match makes the least sense out of all of the three. He has no real beef with HHH right now and winning the title only to walk away for like 4 months is a horrible way to promote your title.

They can still book that match at WM if they really want to even if both of them lose at Fastlane.

A Mania where HHH retains the belt against a face fans actually like would be interesting/hilarious just to see the depths people would go to defend it and him

Gotta make WM strong as possible bud. With the way injuries have struck it would be better(do I want it? Nope). Kinda cool three way with HHH being the clear heel, Brock the tweener, and Taker the face(but let me point out that this won't happen.); the bad, ugly, and good.

So is HHH not going to defend the title before Mania? That's over two months with no defences.

Back when Brock was champion in the beginning of 2015, he didn't put up the title at Fastlane either. At least for this, HHH could say he's the boss so the 30 day rule doesn't apply to him or something. But of course, he'll never say that for consistency sake cuz that's just too convenient.

God King Brock was the last time I felt that title was worth anything, excellent promotion in my book.

though yes it makes no sense for him to win it now in a match against Terra Ryzing

Angry Grimace

HHH does not seem to have a tremendous amount of interest in being an active performer. What really makes no sense is that he still portrays a bad guy instead of just being the main roster version of William Regal. Like, I don't get why he plays a bad guy on Raw, while playing a good guy on NXT and doing a bunch of high profile charity stuff in real life.

Also, you can now buy yourself some AJ Styles P1 gloves. http://shop.wwe.com/AJ-Styles-Replica-Blue-Gloves/W10961,default,pd.html (Yes, he is selling a lot of merch, but the story that I heard is that they're not adding more merch until all of his other merch deals expire in a few weeks)

Kaladin

HHH does not seem to have a tremendous amount of interest in being an active performer. What really makes no sense is that he still portrays a bad guy instead of just being the main roster version of William Regal. Like, I don't get why he plays a bad guy on Raw, while playing a good guy on NXT and doing a bunch of high profile charity stuff in real life.

Because ever since Austin vs McMahon, WWE has to have a heel authority figure.

Also, you can now buy yourself some AJ Styles P1 gloves. http://shop.wwe.com/AJ-Styles-Replica-Blue-Gloves/W10961,default,pd.html (Yes, he is selling a lot of merch, but the story that I heard is that they're not adding more merch until all of his other merch deals expire in a few weeks)
Can't wait to see grown men wearing those as a substitute for winter gloves.

At least they're of better quality compared to the "wraps" aka a sock with an 'X'.

Was thinking today about how much fun the old Survivor Series formats were. I know they still kind of do them and they can get old fast but ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Was thinking today about how much fun the old Survivor Series formats were. I know they still kind of do them and they can get old fast but ¯_(ツ)_/¯
You know what I miss? The championship scramble, we need another one at the end of the year. It was a really good match and unpredictable as hell. I totally marked when Brian Kendrick actually got a pin fall in the match, now that was cool

I loved the old SS PPVs where every match was a Survivor Series match except for maybe a world title match.
The best parts of the old SS matches where the 2 Tag Team ones they had for the first 2 survivor series, 20 people on one ring was amazing.

If only they had enough Tag Teams to do that again these days :(

I loved the scrambles purely because of that minute World Champ Brian Kendrick was a thing
Look back at the ppv card, that was a well booked show. Who in the hell saw Jericho winning and them letting the match with the biggest turn be the last one? Damn that was just great. Damn that was only 8 years ago, damn we won't get that now.

Also I think it was an SD or two before the PPV and Hunter cut that promo where he says something along the lines of, "Wait, I'm saying not just Brian Kendrick but THE Brian Kendrick." that was one of my favourite moments there.

shanafan

I literally was just going to post this!

Didn't champion Hogan go from WM9 to King of the Ring 93 without even having a match?

I literally was just going to post this!

Didn't champion Hogan go from WM9 to King of the Ring 93 without even having a match?
And only one Raw appearance during that stretch. I was like wtf? How don't you have your main guy showing his face on weekly show Vince? Hogan owned them until Vince grew a pair in the mid 90s

Strax

I do wish WWE would have used Wade Barrett better. In a different era of WWE he'd probably be a main event heel a la Ted DiBiase.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. You could see the
Jason Todd
reveal near the end coming a mile away, but it's super hard to do a
Jason Todd
story without the "oh my god it's
Jason Todd
" twist being super telegraphed.

The Arkham Knight/Jason Todd was a double red herring. #1. For non-fans Who is this Arkham Knight? #2 Its Jason Todd and fans thought they were smart figuring it out before the game came out. Joker was the big twist and be reveal in video game in a long time and nobody guessed ahead of time

Finally got around to watching the austin big show podcast and i gotta say i have alot more respect for the big show and i recommend it to anyone that hasnt watched it yet.

Colocho

Banned
Taking the title away from Ambrose opened up a slight chance he might win at Fastlane which is great in my eyes. Even when Roman ends up winning, I'll be much more invested in the match than before.

Kaladin

How many people who were on last year's Mania are injured?

Edit: I count 9 injured with 2 more retired (AJ Lee and Daniel Bryan)

Top Bottom