• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Toki767

I think you're misconstruing a bit. This isn't just about in-ring skill. Triple H didn't have top-shelf in-ring skill, look, promo ability, charisma, etc. He's average-to-good in every department.

But that, of course, is just my opinion.

He's a solid B+.

It's what Dave Meltzer called him when he started to get that main event push.

Rutti

I really hope Seth Rollins comes back with a different theme that is not generic butt rock. His current theme ain't hype.

I love it.

4bff89193a1352d87efe9e5b134d298f.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Speaking of Total Packages, who would you guys consider a 9-or-better on each quality of The Official Bret Hart Wrassle Scale?

I'd say Flair is an easy pick.

The Macho Man, obviously.

Nekofrog

Banned
The biggest thing right now that irks me is the usual Diva/Womens thing. There are plenty of women on NXT right now who come across as actual wrestlers who happen to be female, and to me one of the biggest disrespects is wrapping it all up under the grand "Diva" moniker.

When I was watching NXT last night with the lady I couldn't help but remark how much of a "wrestler" Asuka comes off as. From her entrance to the way she works, she legit comes off as a wrestler and not just a girl there to fill a requisite "diva match". Her mannerisms are and crowd interactions are exactly to the style that a dude would have respective of his gender.

out of the blue rant

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The most overrated wrestler of all time is still the Ultimate Warrior. He's worse at everything than Triple H and he wasn't questionably over, he was definitely over as fuck despite being horrible at everything and his promos making less sense than your average Bray Wyatt rant.

The biggest thing right now that irks me is the usual Diva/Womens thing. There are plenty of women on NXT right now who come across as actual wrestlers who happen to be female, and to me one of the biggest disrespects is wrapping it all up under the grand "Diva" moniker.

When I was watching NXT last night with the lady I couldn't help but remark how much of a "wrestler" Asuka comes off as. From her entrance to the way she works, she legit comes off as a wrestler and not just a girl there to fill a requisite "diva match". Her mannerisms are and crowd interactions are exactly to the style that a dude would have respective of his gender.

out of the blue rant

I expect it to end once Total Divas is gone. Notably, almost none of the currently featured female wrestlers are on Total Divas anymore with Brie retiring, Nikki's career in jeopardy and Eva Marie floundering around NXT.

Zach

out of the blue rant

I'm always okay with such ranting.

The most overrated wrestler of all time is still the Ultimate Warrior. He's worse at everything than Triple H and he wasn't questionably over, he was definitely over as fuck despite being horrible at everything and his promos making less sense than your average Bray Wyatt rant.

I don't know what you're saying here. Just that The AAAAAHHHHHHLLLLLtimate Warrior was worse than Triple H? Overall, probably. But Warrior's look/charisma was through the roof. Are you saying Triple H had a better look and/or more charisma than Warrior?

Angry Grimace

The Meltz's scoop is just way too vague for me to buy into it meaning anything or being legit. The only person that even makes a lick of sense by that criteria is the Rock and I would be completely flabbergasted to see the Rock wrestling at WM32.

I *really* do not want to be worried about Sting being killed in the ring or paralyzed for life at Wrestlemania.

Striker

And sure, you can say he's "overrated as a wrestler," but so many of the big stars were overrated as wrestlers. For every Randy Savage there's a Hulk Hogan. For every Seth Rollins there's a Roman Reigns.
Hogan knew how to work a crowd, unlike a lot of so-called 'great' wrestlers today. Enough of that.

You can search and find half a dozen Kane returns where he gets massive pops. Tons of dudes were over, and for obvious reasons. The shows weren't going through the motions like today's product.

Angry Grimace

"The Rock isn't allowed to wrestle due to movie insurance stuff" is one of those completely unsubstantiated rumors people just keep stating as a fact even though its based on absolutely nothing, particularly given that the Rock specifically fired his previous agents because they repeatedly advised him not to do anything associated with wrestling and then he went on to work a handful of events as a wrestler after that.

The issue with Meltz's scoop is that pretty much everyone involved is implausible as hell, e.g. the list of people who could plausibly work this match at WM is pretty short and gets shorter when you construe "plausibly" to mean "not a risk to die in the ring":

Kurt Angle
The Rock
SCSA
Goldberg
Batista
Sting

All of them just seem really unlikely to me, particularly when you consider that Stone Cold Steve Austin is higher on the list than a couple of other people.

Fox318

I think we know who is going to wrestler taker at mania.

The last WCW holdout

YPvFtm7.gif

First person to ever wrestle a negative 6 star match at mania.

Fox318

Honestly the only other bad mania matchup I can think of is JJ vs HHH.

Older fans want to hurl their chairs at both of them, younger fans root for Mr. NXT HHH and think JJ is some drunkie off the street.

Striker

How in any way is The Ultimate Warrior overrated as a wrestler when everybody has said he sucks at basically everything but his entrance/music/look?

Not sure why, but that wasn't my comment you are linking.
I copied and pasted his comment, that was my mix up.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
HHH is underrated, not overrated. He's the Watch Dogs of wrestling. People shit on him for no logical reason and conveniently ignore all the great things he does.

Or maybe just the Ubisoft of wrestling would fit better? Either way, Watch Dogs/Ubisoft/HHH are underrated.

Angry Grimace

How in any way is The Ultimate Warrior overrated as a wrestler when everybody has said he sucks at basically everything but his entrance/music/look?

I copied and pasted his comment, that was my mix up.

You are confusing "things I read on WrassleGAF and r/squaredcircle" with "everybody." The Ultimate Warrior is in the hall of fame and was unquestionably one of the most over guys of his era.

Angry Grimace

Taker vs. Goldberg. Calling it now.

The thing is, can you really be ready to work a match at Wrestlemania in that kind of notice? Goldberg is a 50 year old man that hasn't wrestled in a decade and hasn't shown a lick of interest in doing so.

Zach

HHH is underrated, not overrated. He's the Watch Dogs of wrestling. People shit on him for no logical reason and conveniently ignore all the great things he does.

Or maybe just the Ubisoft of wrestling would fit better? Either way, Watch Dogs/Ubisoft/HHH are underrated.

I'm not saying he's anything-rated. I'm saying, one guy to another, that Triple H sure wasn't great. In a wrestling ring. In my opinion. Through early 1998. For sure.

I'll keep an open mind going forward, like I do with all of these schmucks. If I had a nickel for every time I thought "maybe this will be a decent Crush match..."

Striker

You are confusing "things I read on WrassleGAF and r/squaredcircle" with "everybody." The Ultimate Warrior is in the hall of fame and was unquestionably one of the most over guys of his era.
Who has said he wasn't a bad worker? Many wrestlers said as much. Even so, when people list the greatest performers, he isn't among them. But he was a huge favorite for fans growing up because of his tenacity and entrance. Moveset was simplistic but it worked. That's all he needed. Wrestling isn't about workrate. Goldberg is the same way, but it doesn't matter.

As for the Hall of Fame, Koko B. Ware is in it. It's not an indictment of anything.

The thing is, can you really be ready to work a match at Wrestlemania in that kind of notice? Goldberg is a 50 year old man that hasn't wrestled in a decade and hasn't shown a lick of interest in doing so.

49 and
Goldberg made his return to professional wrestling on June 7, 2015 at Entertainment Impresario Uncle Louie's Legends of Wrestling show at Citi Field in New York. While he was not scheduled to wrestle at the event, Goldberg would come to the aid of Rob Van Dam after his match with Scott Steiner, where he would hit both of his finishing moves on Steiner and Doc Gallows.[35] On January 23, 2016 Goldberg made a second return for the "Legends of Wrestling's" event in Miami, where he hit another spear on Scott Steiner.

He's still got it, brother

If Vince throws him a good chunk of change, I'm betting he'll take a match against Taker despite his lack of interest. I doubt it would be Angle, and the only other person I can think of is The Rock.

out of the blue rant

They're all Women wrestlers. The fact that you have to segregate and categorize them based on some arbitrary criteria sounds like your own weird hang-up, where you think you're praising Asuka you're actually diminishing the efforts of the entire rest of the roster.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you can finally appreciate a woman wrestler on a different level for her talents, but most people have already progressed to this point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Goldberg has expressed interest in working with the WWE in a match before a few times over the years

Zach

Now X-Pac, there's a guy that got way further than he deserved to get. The dude was pure shite.

Bret Hart Scale
Look: 3
Promo: 2
In-ring: 8
Overall: 13

I'd say single digits is shite-tier, personally. Here, let's do the aforementioned Crush:

Bret Hart Scale
Look: 3
Promo: 1
In-ring: 1
Overall: 5

Checks out.

Non active wrestler?
2928%20-%20Raw%20hat%20john_cena%20microphone%20smiling%20wwe.png

He already said this is just the plan in case Cena isn't able to come back, and judging by John's tweet we'll know if he is or isn't in 2 weeks

Imagine getting a big plan in store and then scrapping it because Cena comes back early again. This company will never change, and frankly it doesn't matter who's running it *insert HHHFebChamp2000And2016.jpg here*

Fox318

He was training recently for a Kickboxing fight.

He was at that City Field show that people like Bret and Scott Steiner was at

dnX5iIv.jpg

8fV42Y4.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4cTH3gvnoY

IIRC there have been reports of him wanting to wrestle because his son is older but the price has to be right.

Its why he never wrestled in TNA or Japan.

Raw64life

Goldberg has said he wants one more match so his son can see him wrestle.

He is 49 years old but he was also a full-time wrestler for all of 4-5 years so he doesn't have anywhere near the amount of wear and tear a guy like Undertaker or Sting has.

Zach

I know the cool kids hate Goldberg, but he's been really fun to watch through his first 90 wins. Can't wait to get to the Nitro where he beats Hogan.

Top Bottom