• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He either has to make chicken salad out of chicken shit or tell Vince and creative to book him differently.

If Roman was trying to protect his character he would have had to ask them to write his character way differently starting like 2 years ago. The reality is that if he cares about his character in the long term the thing he needs to do is tell Vince "please don't book me to win the main event of WrestleMania in front of 100,000 people" but the chance of anyone doing that ever is like 0%.

Swerve to keep the pressure off of Roman.

Notice he isn't on TV aside from his entrance.

I actually don't think so.

It makes no sense if you're trying to get Roman over to make him pin the most popular guy and it makes even less sense to spend 4 weeks making the most popular guy even more popular before you make Roman pin the most popular guy.

Fox318

Could be.

Nothing would surprise me besides Brock winning. Him and HHH just do not put on good matches.

I think at this point Vince doesn't see the point of building a story.

It's all about the brand, he doesn't want stars because stars either demand Rock pay, Brock dates, or Hogan/HHH/Bret creative control.

If he can get Roman to the main event of mania without putting him in front of people by the end of the mania match they will probably cheer the ending no matter how shit the match/build/or the Roman Reigns character is.

All Vince wants is to have film and pictures of that building looking like people are in it and Roman Reigns getting the belt from his fake son.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think at this point Vince doesn't see the point of building a story.

It's all about the brand, he doesn't want stars because stars either demand Rock pay, Brock dates, or Hogan/HHH/Bret creative control.

If he can get Roman to the main event of mania without putting him in front of people by the end of the mania match they will probably cheer the ending no matter how shit the match/build/or the Roman Reigns character is.

All Vince wants is to have film and pictures of that building looking like people are in it and Roman Reigns getting the belt from his fake son.

I just don't buy the underlying assumption that Vince doesn't give a shit - if Vince *really* didn't give a shit about reaction and such, he wouldn't have had Rollins run out there last year and he would have had Face Batista take the title off of Orton the year before that.

I think people just got worked by CM Punk into believing Vince is an actual insane person despite all of the evidence he very much does give a shit.

Fox318

If Roman was trying to protect his character he would have had to ask them to write his character way differently starting like 2 years ago. The reality is that if he cares about his character in the long term the thing he needs to do is tell Vince "please don't book me to win the main event of WrestleMania in front of 100,000 people" but the chance of anyone doing that ever is like 0%.

I actually don't think so.

It makes no sense if you're trying to get Roman over to make him pin the most popular guy and it makes even less sense to spend 4 weeks making the most popular guy even more popular before you make Roman pin the most popular guy.

If you are in that company and you care about the money or your career you don't say no to winning the main event at mania.

Roman should have said no to those scripted promos and to being marketed as Cena's successor despite not having 1 singles PPV main event program or match.

Roman was going to be the 1st person to ever have his main event singles debut be at the mania for the belt.

His only PPV singles match prior to winnng the belt was Orton at Summerslam.

And guess what Roman wasn't Brock or Stone Cold. He didn't have the backing or belveability that made the push seem legit.

Angry Grimace

I mean, that's kind of what I mean - nobody would ever say no to main eventing mania and winning because that's the reason you would care about your character. There probably isn't anyone who cares about the "business" enough to do or say that.

I think in terms of the most recent push, if Roman gave a fuck he'd have pushed back a lot harder against this Fastlane match existing. Beating up the 2 most popular guys on the roster without any kind of build whatsoever since he hasn't actually done anything in the last few weeks is the worst idea since showing up to a party with a boner in sweatpants.

Angry Grimace

Do we have a witty anti-Roman tagline for the Fastlane OT yet?

test_zps91a27a21.gif

Low-tier H, second only to Tubby H.

triple-h_zpsfd0be1e1.jpg

I just don't buy the underlying assumption that Vince doesn't give a shit - if Vince *really* didn't give a shit about reaction and such, he wouldn't have had Rollins run out there last year and he would have had Face Batista take the title off of Orton the year before that.

I think people just got worked by CM Punk into believing Vince is an actual insane person despite all of the evidence he very much does give a shit.

People think Vince is crazy because he is always coming up with crazy ideas, like booking Daniel Bryan to get beat by Bray Wyatt and not be in the Royal Rumble, or to have Roman win the Royal Rumble and job out Bryan early in the match. Or to have Roman be out of the midcard in general.

It takes a whole damn lot for Vince to see that his latest crazy idea is crazy. Vince has strangled so many golden gooses it's hard to believe it. Vince made Stone Cold walk out. Vince made CM Punk walk out. Vince fumbled Daniel Bryan around until it was too late. The entire way women get booked. Anyone could make a long list.

UberTag

At least Fastlane doesn't have as many match breaks for commercials.
Booking still sucks, though.
And we'll be subjected to another RAW the next night... one that will actually advance more storylines for Mania than Fastlane will.

Angry Grimace

People think Vince is crazy because he is always coming up with crazy ideas, like booking Daniel Bryan to get beat by Bray Wyatt and not be in the Royal Rumble, or to have Roman win the Royal Rumble and job out Bryan early in the match. Or to have Roman be out of the midcard in general.

It takes a whole damn lot for Vince to see that his latest crazy idea is crazy. Vince has strangled so many golden gooses it's hard to believe it. Vince made Stone Cold walk out. Vince made CM Punk walk out. Vince fumbled Daniel Bryan around until it was too late. The entire way women get booked. Anyone could make a long list.
I don't like being the guy that defends the things they do, but from an objective standpoint even some of the things you're listing made some sense in context - Roman wasn't really getting a full on boobird treatment before Royal Rumble anyways because he'd been out with that injury for a few months and while he was definitely being protected, he also wasn't exactly main eventing anything. I know exactly what they were going for with the Bryan thing too - the idea wasn't jobbing him out, it's that he wasn't going to win the match and they didn't want him and Roman in the match at the same time because Bryan way more over than Roman is. It makes sense, even if it didn't work - in retrospect I doubt they would have let Bryan in the match at all if they knew how it would go.

I also strongly suspect the reason CM Punk never got to live his dream of main eventing WrestleMania is because CM Punk is an asshole.

shanafan

And we'll be subjected to another RAW the next night... one that will actually advance more storylines for Mania than Fastlane will.

And I'll be there! :)

My first live Raw since 2002 I believe. My first ever Raw though was the one where Stone Cold drove the zamboni to the ring.

BFIB

WWE Fastlane |OT| D̶a̶n̶i̶e̶l̶ ̶B̶r̶y̶a̶n̶ Brie Bella's Yes Movement

UberTag

And I'll be there! :)

My first live Raw since 2002 I believe. My first ever Raw though was the one where Stone Cold drove the zamboni to the ring.
Make sure you have a book to read.
Or, failing that, bring your phone so you can check in on the WrassleGAF thread.

Now now. Michaels as the leader was great DX. HHH-led DX sucked but the Outlaws were great.
The first was the best, certain parts of DX 2000 weren't bad.

That goofy ass match was probably the only good thing to come out of that whole new and "improved" DX.
That and I'll admittedly always enjoy DX in the production truck modifying Vince's voice.

Just thinking back to mid life crisis DX brings back a swathe of moments...
- Vince loves Cock(erels), lololololol
- Spirit Squad job squad, buried and then literally packed up to be shipped back to OVW
- When Vince tries to subtly drop a mesh net over DX
- When startled Vince takes a leak on the coach after calling his manhood "the eighth wonder of the world, Andre the Giant"
- HBK constantly having to be distracted when HHH going for those attitude era boob shenanigans
- HBK "speaking street" to cryme tyme
- When DX have a bounty placed on them and Chris Masters tries to claim it while hiding in a toilet cubicle

And so much more, it's awful yet uncanny in how memorably stupid it all was, 2006 was weird.
Meanwhile Smackdown was a never ending cycle of Batista, Booker, Lashley and Finlay.
2006.....only thing I try to remember is Edge and The beginning of the new ecw.

You forgot the HBK superkicking everyone gag.
Lovely.

I bet if HBK grabbed Vince's arm, told him to suck it, crotch chopped at him and dropped his pants to moon him at the end of a retirement speech he wouldn't get suspended.
Vince owes his life to Shawn, or course not.

DX Rankings
1) Original DX - HBK / HHH / Chyna
2) Revival DX - HBK / HHH
3) DX Army - HHH / Chyna / New Age Outlaws / X-Pac
Idk for a period the dx 2000 was good. The way Shawn and Hunter got back together though was awesome. Even that tease in 2002 would've been better than 06.

rrc1594

Agreed. The rumble booking was set up to give them some wiggle room, but Dean winning is the only logical outcome.

Too bad Vince doesn't do thing that way. I mean come on it's in fucking Ohio for christ sake. Dean has been Batman between him and Roman. He is the one calling out Brock, and Roman is just in the background. Dean is the captain now!

Top Bottom