• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah but NXT is a lot less mainstream. I'd like to believe the WWE audience would be open to a non-male face of the company but I'm not so sure. Not to mention that Sami doesn't have "the look".

I think a Steph / HHH ran company is perfectly OK having two faces of the company in Bayley and Zayn (if he can beat out Cena / others)

Yeah, they have so much pull that Neville is barely seen, and Breeze is about on par with Zack Ryder right now.

Problem is, whose spot do they take? Everyone likes to dump on Reigns, but even if you send him to jobber town, who else in the main event do you take out? You have Owens vs Ziggler, Kalisto vs ADR, Jericho vs Styles, The New Day vs HOW YOU DOIN, and HHH / Lesnar / Ambrose. Tell me which of these folks Neville is consistently better than in all aspects? Then Zayn?

Bubba T

Yeah, they have so much pull that Neville is barely seen, and Breeze is about on par with Zack Ryder right now.

He has been thrown off the stage by Kane while in a wheelchair?

gCzhi7u.gif

klonere

Banned
I'm pretty sure that NXT makes people actively worse at promos unless they already have a natural talent for it or are veterans (Joe, Owens). The only person I can think of that has gotten better is Corbin and even that is extremely marginal, I like the guy but his promos are C+ at best. Sami supposedly had the knack for it as soon as the mask came off and recently I haven't been feeling his promos honestly. Enzo has always been great, he just got more serious. Dana Brooke would be the other exception but again it felt like she walked in with that personality mostly assembled and didn't need much help with it. Gable was great from the word go and has just rubbed off on Jordan. The one success story is Alexa Bliss who just came on in leaps and bounds to be in the top 3 best talkers in NXT.

Everyone else sucks. SUUUCCCKKKKS. The presentation of interviews is worse than Raw as we have no Renee to actually have a personality and ask good questions now and then, just a bunch of generic faces to say "what are your thoughts". I mean they hit on the formula by accident - the sit-down "shoot" interviews during the mini-documentaries they did on Becky/Finn/Apollo. Finn is 100% more compelling on house shows, in that PROGRESS podcast thing, anywhere but on NXT TV. Apollo has gone rapidly downhill since his doc. Becky seemed to have found her fire but that was a very brief stretch on the main roster and now she's back to reciting garbage badly.

It seems to be a creative roadblock suffered by every level of the WWE - they can't exploit people whose charisma doesn't operate on the exact same level as The Rock - explosive, effusive in your face energy that can do comedy (this model succeeded with Cena and is utterly failing Reigns for example). They can't construct the proper outlets to get across different personalities and the Performance Center does not seem to be churning out interesting character that cut solid promos (Dash/Dawson, Drifter, Vaudevillians, Blake/Murphy, Ascension, Mojo). I wonder if they ever will be able to find a solution that works for them soon and NXT is evidence that Hunter doesn't really have the answer when/if he takes over.

EDIT: Speaking of Neville, he actually did show some great subtle heel promos and had the same mini-doc thing in NXT that endearing him to people and got his personality across. And on the main roster he's been utterly exposed on the microphone and underused everywhere else.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty sure that NXT makes people actively worse at promos unless they already have a natural talent for it or are veterans (Joe, Owens). The only person I can think of that has gotten better is Corbin and even that is extremely marginal, I like the guy but his promos are C+ at best. Sami supposedly had the knack for it as soon as the mask came off and recently I haven't been feeling his promos honestly. Enzo has always been great, he just got more serious. Dana Brooke would be the other exception but again it felt like she walked in with that personality mostly assembled and didn't need much help with it. Gable was great from the word go and has just rubbed off on Jordan. The one success story is Alexa Bliss who just came on in leaps and bounds to be in the top 3 best talkers in NXT.

Everyone else sucks. SUUUCCCKKKKS. The presentation of interviews is worse than Raw as we have no Renee to actually have a personality and ask good questions now and then, just a bunch of generic faces to say "what are your thoughts". I mean they hit on the formula by accident - the sit-down "shoot" interviews during the mini-documentaries they did on Becky/Finn/Apollo. Finn is 100% more compelling on house shows, in that PROGRESS podcast thing, anywhere but on NXT TV. Apollo has gone rapidly downhill since his doc. Becky seemed to have found her fire but that was a very brief stretch on the main roster and now she's back to reciting garbage badly.

It seems to be a creative roadblock suffered by every level of the WWE - they can't exploit people whose charisma doesn't operate on the exact same level as The Rock - explosive, effusive in your face energy that can do comedy (this model succeeded with Cena and is utterly failing Reigns for example). They can't construct the proper outlets to get across different personalities and the Performance Center does not seem to be churning out interesting character that cut solid promos (Dash/Dawson, Drifter, Vaudevillians, Blake/Murphy, Ascension, Mojo). I wonder if they ever will be able to find a solution that works for them soon and NXT is evidence that Hunter doesn't really have the answer when/if he takes over.

EDIT: Speaking of Neville, he actually did show some great subtle heel promos and had the same mini-doc thing in NXT that endearing him to people and got his personality across. And on the main roster he's been utterly exposed on the microphone and underused everywhere else.

I mean, acting talent/charisma is just something you have or don't. The guys who "found it" in NXT seem to mostly be people who just found characters that suit whatever they're good at.

Tagyhag

I mean, acting talent/charisma is just something you have or don't. The guys who "found it" in NXT seem to mostly be people who just found characters that suit whatever they're good at.

I don't know, Rocky Maivia was TERRIBLE until he took communication classes before coming back. Maybe they should have acting classes.

Colocho

Banned
When Meltzer talks about Taker's WM32 opponent, does it mean he knows who it is and can't outright say it yet or was he told it was gonna be an inactive wrestler, but doesn't know who the guy is at the moment?

Kaladin

When Meltzer talks about Taker's WM32 opponent, does it mean he knows who it is and can't outright say it yet or was he told it was gonna be an inactive wrestler, but doesn't know who the guy is at the moment?

If he knows anything at all, he knows who it is and can't outright say it yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If he knows anything at all, he knows who it is and can't outright say it yet.

My guess is that he leaks as much as his sources will allow him to while still being willing to give him more information.

TheFuzz

Guys, what if the plan since Fall was to keep Ambrose in limbo until Mania season, and push him after the Reigns rumble loss?

Honestly, does anyone NOT want Ambrose/Triple H? He's the next "guy" and is a merch machine. Just do it, dammit

He's not like Austin, Rock, Cena as far as carbon-copies go... So he's different enough to be the main guy. Juxtapose him with a heel Reigns and a tweener Rollins and roll with this for another year until the Mania 33 Triple-Threat. It's reaaaaallly easy if they'd just go with the obvious.

Angry Grimace

Guys, what if the plan since Fall was to keep Ambrose in limbo until Mania season, and push him after the Reigns rumble loss?

Honestly, does anyone NOT want Ambrose/Triple H? He's the next "guy" and is a merch machine. Just do it, dammit

He's not like Austin, Rock, Cena as far as carbon-copies go... So he's different enough to be the main guy. Juxtapose him with a heel Reigns and a tweener Rollins and roll with this for another year until the Mania 33 Triple-Threat. It's reaaaaallly easy if they'd just go with the obvious.

I mean, Ambrose winning is conceivable because he's ready to main event WrestleMania basically nobody else on the roster is. The only reason its not a foregone conclusion is that most people believe Vince has a huge boner for Reigns's big muscles and chiseled jaw n' shit. From a logical booking perspective, Dean should win. There's just questions whether "logical" things actually happen in WWE.

Ambrose is the man right now so who deserves to be it. They love him and I've not heard a "boo" from him. Of course I know that he could do so much better in the ring but at the same time, I know what he's capable of. At any moment Dean could turn into something that is more insane than they are letting him be so let him be your man.

My only concern is that his finisher is a double armed ddt. It's too old fashion.

BUT it's simple and easy to pull off. I guess that's why he sticks with it.

TheFuzz

I mean, Ambrose winning is conceivable because he's ready to main event WrestleMania basically nobody else on the roster is. The only reason its not a foregone conclusion is that most people believe Vince has a huge boner for Reigns's big muscles and chiseled jaw n' shit.

Yeah I know.... That's what bothers me. The most "ready" to carry Vince's torch is obvious. He's clearly the guy to main event WM.

Former WWE star “Big Vito” LoGrasso — notable for his time in ECW, a few Tag Team Championship runs in WCW and for wearing a dress during matches — believes Daniel Bryan was only forced to retire from WWE due to the class-action lawsuit Vito filed against the company over concussions in 2015. He says that if it weren’t for him, Bryan would be “going to WRestleMania.”

Vito explains his point of view in this message, shared via social media:

“My thoughts on this week so far are something to talk about. People are now starting to get in the know on CTE. If it wasn’t for this lawsuit, Daniel Bryan would be going to Wrestlemania. Who knows what would have happened if he kept wrestling. I am happy he will be OK. The fear on losing your spot is real. Are you hurt, NO. You keep going. It was the culture. All the people now sharing concussion stories. All the awareness. But a year ago, this lawsuit and everything about concussions, CTE, was laughed at, made fun of, thought it was a load of crap. Now, it is reality. The education you are getting now, but what about back then ? Now people want to step up and be spokesmen and help. No one could care or donated their time last year. They could care less. Glad I made this possible for all to see. I speak for me, the others and the guys not here no more. My wish is for this to settle and make this a great thing. Right now it’s a pissing contest instead of working together. Make things right and go for the gold on this. Waste your money on fighting something that is true won’t get you any votes. Just prolonges what will be. Do it classy and not as a must. -Merit- , is what we have, the facts are there. Daniel Bryan moves on to have a family and keep his head together, a real positive here. If not for me taking this on , who knows what would have been. #fightvitofight”

Angry Grimace

Did someone warn Ambrose of a pending drug test?

The entire roster other than Triple H and the Big Guy has been losing muscle mass for a while. Even Reigns looks less buff than he used to.

My guess is that they're either worried about injuries (and thus trying be less bulky), or they've been bringing in a lot of dudes who aren't really buff and they don't want big disparities in size between the guys if they can avoid it. Ambrose is still pretty cut so I don't find it very likely he just stopped lifting or something. It's not like he looks like Cheeseburger or something.

Striker

Ambrose as the main guy will make me beg for Rollins and Cena to return ASAP.
The Wacky Line!

What is that move called where jogs into the corner, hops up and off the bottom turnbuckle and runs back over to do a corner bulldog? Looks like shit should be its name.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Ambrose as the main guy will make me beg for Rollins and Cena to return ASAP.

My fear is that as much fun as we make of Reigns for being a bad worker..Ambrose is a full tier underneath him right now. If he didn't come from the indies; people would be crapping all over his matches. FFS; Reigns has to carry him in a match.

The entire roster other than Triple H and the Big Guy has been losing muscle mass for a while. Even Reigns looks less buff than he used to.

My guess is that they're either worried about injuries (and thus trying be less bulky), or they've been bringing in a lot of dudes who aren't really buff and they don't want big disparities in size between the guys if they can avoid it. Ambrose is still pretty cut so I don't find it very likely he just stopped lifting or something. It's not like he looks like Cheeseburger or something.

It's an injury thing - muscles tear really easily when that big. More time to fill also means longer matches, which means less muscle mass & more cardio.

Meanwhile Ryback is still full steam ahead.

Then there's Cena too.

They're freaks though, and we all know it. Same with Big E.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i see Dean winning on sunday, the match is mostly hyped around dean an brock, and i can see that playing a big part in the match, dean and Regins wont fully fight, dean wins, reigns get injected into the main event at mania because bla bla im a bitch it wernt fair hur dur.

Triple h takes beating by dean / regins at mania then dean an reigns fight and regins wins, then they feud for till summerslam where rollins comes back and causes dq against reigns and sets up there programme

this also means neither dean or reigns have to turn heel either

TheFuzz

i see Dean winning on sunday, the match is mostly hyped around dean an brock, and i can see that playing a big part in the match, dean and Regins wont fully fight, dean wins, reigns get injected into the main event at mania because bla bla im a bitch it wernt fair hur dur.

Triple h takes beating by dean / regins at mania then dean an reigns fight and reigns wins, then they feud for till summerslam where rollins comes back and causes dq against reigns and sets up there programme

this also means neither dean or reigns have to turn heel either

This won't happen. Reigns isn't money, and they know that. When an arena erupts at you're "guy" LOSING his title and immediately get behind the OTHER guy 5 seconds later, they see the writing on the wall. I fully believe the "Reigns experiment" is over for the time being. Rollins will be a mega-face when he comes back and they know that. Turning Reigns is the answer and they know it.

Also having a Reigns/Ambrose program makes Reigns the heel by default, so saying "neither have to turn" doesn't work.

This won't happen. Reigns isn't money, and they know that. When an arena erupts at you're "guy" LOSING his title and immediately get behind the OTHER guy 5 seconds later, they see the writing on the wall. I fully believe the "Reigns experiment" is over for the time being. Rollins will be a mega-face when he comes back and they know that. Turning Reigns is the answer and they know it.
We're going to hope that you're right because this is better for business.

TheFuzz

We're going to hope that you're right because this is better for business.

Me too. I have no reason to believe they know what they're doing though, but hell.... They ran into Austin by accident almost so even a blind guy hits the target every once in a while, right?!

RIGHT?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
You don't get to look like Ryback or Cena 100 percent naturally.

They're all fitness freaks but Big E looks a bit more natural than those guys. But fuck if I know.

Because of the self-selective nature of wrestling, I think they're both legit. I know a few folks who look like Cena or Ryback who are all natural as well; they are just genuinely freaks of nature.

Me too. I have no reason to believe they know what they're doing though, but hell.... They ran into Austin by accident almost so even a blind guy hits the target every once in a while, right?!

RIGHT?
Different eras man. And going by recent reports, it looks like the plan right now is for Roman to win. Plans can change but we know what's really going on.

Top Bottom