• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess I just don't know if I buy that the Roman Reigns thing is working out just like Cena did (which is a thing I read a lot). The audience seems a lot more hardcore than it did back in the day.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A Seth vs HHH feud come legit make Seth into a huge baby face.

I suspect it happens even when HHH drops the title: just have Rollins come back and give HHH shit for it, and he's instantly a face.

Alucard

Banned
Probably just a placeholder in case Cena can't make it.

No chance. It's got the internet and casual fans buzzing. They'd be fools to reverse it and probably know that. They'll ride the wave of controversy and curiosity into Mania. Shane vs. Undertaker in 2016? It's got a car crash quality to it.

Zach

Yeah, I don't see them not going through with Undertaker/Shane. I mean, maybe if Shane didn't get a reaction, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Toki767

I guess I just don't know if I buy that the Roman Reigns thing is working out just like Cena did (which is a thing I read a lot). The audience seems a lot more hardcore than it did back in the day.

One could argue that they chased off a lot of the casual audience by constantly focusing on Cena and therefore all that's really left of a lot of the audience is the hardcore ones during this Reigns push.

Gurrry

Its wrestlemania...

Shane has some good spots, but overall is destroyed by The Undertaker.

At the end of the match, Taker goes for the pin, but stops at 2. He takes the unconscious Shane and lays his body on top of his for the pin. Vince comes out and is going berserk. 22-2 flashes on the jumbotron in Jerryworld.

The next night on RAW, Shane kicks off the show. There are new intro packages, a new set design, and a brand new 2-man commentary team of Ranallo and Corey Graves.

Shane comes out to the ring and says how things have gotten stale and he is here to kick off the change with a plethora of new talent for the roster.

One by one, Nakamura, Sammi Zayn, BAYLEY, Enzo and Cass, and every other dream acquisition comes out to the ring.

Thus begins the dawn of the WWE product we all deserve.

Kappa

klonere

Banned
Guys....Taker gave the family secrets to Shane way back when. Whose side is he on?

x2CQKfx.gif

Angry Grimace

No chance. It's got the internet and casual fans buzzing. They'd be fools to reverse it and probably know that. They'll ride the wave of controversy and curiosity into Mania. Shane vs. Undertaker in 2016? It's got a car crash quality to it.

Oh, I think he will be in the match, I just find is incredibly unlikely that the match isn't mostly Shane cheating by having someone else do most of the match and offense.

At the end of the match, Taker goes for the pin, but stops at 2. He takes the unconscious Shane and lays his body on top of his for the pin. Vince comes out and is going berserk. 22-2 flashes on the jumbotron in Jerryworld.

2carny4me

Anth0ny

2 million people,watched Stroman and the big show?

What???

honestly

I'm pretty sure all the kids went to bed at 10PM and watched the main event that they missed on youtube the next day

I just got to Mankind's first title win in 1999. Holy shit, the crowd NEEDED Mankind to win the title that night. I doesn't get old. That whole episode was the perfect path to his title win.

My god, that pop when Austin's music hit, people were pissing themselves:

fdIgseq.gif

that was a pretty great moment

In fact, I made a thread about it

Toki767

You guys are fooling yourselves if you don't think that at best, Shane becomes Teddy Long and at worst, he turns heel and becomes the new Authority.

It doesn't matter if streak is gone. If Shane wins it would damage the streak further. It wouldn't make Brocks win feel as special as it did. Especially if Taker loses to Shane of all people.

Makes no sense.

Perfect scenario would have been Triple H vs Shane and Taker vs Reigns.

Brock's win wasn't special. It was one of the worst decisions Vince ever made, having an overrated part timer end the streak. The streak is already ruined by that, and is a stain on WWE's legacy. The streak means absolutely nothing now, it won't matter if Shane wins.

klonere

Banned
Brock's win wasn't special. It was one of the worst decisions Vince ever made, having an overrated part timer end the streak. The streak is already ruined by that, and is a stain on WWE's legacy. The streak means absolutely nothing now, it won't matter if Shane wins.

This is objectively wrong I think. The only problem with Brock ending the streak is that they don't have anyone that is as over and feels as special as Brock to beat him clean at the moment.

I mean they'll have Roman beat him but you know, that doesn't count.

Taker is the overrated one tbf

Toki767

The build up to Brock vs Taker at Mania was just atrocious. It felt like it wasn't special at all which was stupid.

Sephzilla

This is objectively wrong I think. The only problem with Brock ending the streak is that they don't have anyone that is as over and feels as special as Brock to beat him clean at the moment.

The only problem with Brock ending The Streak is that the build up to the end of The Streak was done horribly. Brock should have been booked a lot stronger leading up to that match.

klonere

Banned
The only problem with Brock ending The Streak is that the build up to the end of The Streak was done horribly. Brock should have been booked a lot stronger leading up to that match.

Yeah, I've only been around to appreciate everything that happened after the streak ended, not Brocks initial return with him losing to HHH/Cena etc.

I mean he is the only guy on the roster right now that feels like an attraction, someone you can point to for a casual fan and say "watch this guy, he's legit he's incredible".

Sephzilla

Yeah, I've only been around to appreciate everything that happened after the streak ended, not Brocks initial return with him losing to HHH/Cena etc.

I mean he is the only guy on the roster right now that feels like an attraction, someone you can point to for a casual fan and say "watch this guy, he's legit he's incredible".

I don't even mean that. I mean in the direct build up to Brock/Taker, Brock looked incredibly weak compared to Taker. The build up they used for Brock/Taker at SummerSlam is what the WM30 build should have been.

Caderfix

I don't think the original angle was supposed to be Triple HHH gets the title. I think Rollins fighting HHH seems like the logical conclusion of the angle they had built up - they had a very slow, yet obvious burn on HHH having no confidence in Rollins as champ (e.g. putting him in a bunch of different asshole matches like Sting and Cena the same night, fighting Lesnar at Battleground, etc.)

In all seriousness, they were building Roman for a long time, and Rollins had no trace of a face, character wise. He was whinny, he trashed Kane out of impulse and I think he was actually turning into a comedic heel.

In my opinion, everything was leading to Seth not being credible at all and being as annoying as possible so cool guy Reigns could slap him in the face and be loved by the fans.

If Rollins can work face, I think he's the guy. I honestly don't even know if he can, I never watched him in the indies and he was the whiny heel for most of the Shield run the same as he is now.

I do think he can be a face based on how well he speaks and how charismatic he is, and I do think he's got the potential to be The Guy, but I fear that he'll hit a glass ceiling simply because he might not be the guy WWE wants.

Now that Shane is back lets take the time to remember his most legendary feud...

hey I think this is a stro gif

Testicular electrocution, old ladies tombstoned on the stage, limos colliding with trucks, flaming dumpsters, hospital assaults, gimmick matches and of course an ominous dinner segment.
Truly the feud had it all.

If opinions can be objectively wrong, then Taker being overrated would be it. Taker is past his prime, and should have retired a few years ago, but that is about it.

Sephzilla

Past his prime Taker was still putting up MOTY candidates for like 5 straight WrestleMania's leading up to WM30 though. Okay, maybe not Taker vs HHH 3 though.

Zach

It's okay. You're allowed to like likable wrestlers.

It was actually because I was sent into a fit of Alex Riley Rage due to people always misspelling her name.

But you're right to misinterpret it as me singing her praises. She's great!

BAYLEY!

Alucard

Banned
Are people expecting a 46-year-old man to do something crazy at Wrestlemania? I don't see Shane risking his health that much. It'll be a smoke and mirrors match ala Sting and HHH. Probably. Maybe. I don't know. He could be nuts.

Toki767

Are people expecting a 46-year-old man to do something crazy at Wrestlemania? I don't see Shane risking his health that much. It'll be a smoke and mirrors match ala Sting and HHH. Probably. Maybe. I don't know. He could be nuts.

I think he'll probably dive off the top of the Cell onto Taker who's laid out on a table or something.

Something that looks insane but fairly safe.

Past his prime Taker was still putting up MOTY candidates for like 5 straight WrestleMania's leading up to WM30 though. Okay, maybe not Taker vs HHH 3 though.
I'd take the End of an Era Cell match over Trips/Taker 2: Overwrought selling extravaganza.
At least the HiaC seemed self aware of its sheer ridiculousness.

Are people expecting a 46-year-old man to do something crazy at Wrestlemania? I don't see Shane risking his health that much. It'll be a smoke and mirrors match ala Sting and HHH. Probably.

And honestly I found Sting/Trips a funny match.
Especially when it ended and the internet was losing their shit over HHH "burying" Sting and WCW.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Taker vs HHH 3 was almost certainly the most exciting match of WM 28. Rock vs Cena sucked. Punk vs Jericho was pretty good but it still didn't have that big feel that Taker vs HHH had and wasn't as exciting to watch. I can't remember any other match from that Mania.

Sephzilla

Truthfully I'm not fond of either of the later HHH/Taker WM matches, but not because of Taker. He was fine in those matches. But because it was HHH trying to chase HBK's spotlight.

Rock vs Cena at WM28 was pretty good. It was WM29 that sucked.

Also, yeah, this. First Rock vs Cena was a pretty decent match. Rock/Cena 2 was the one that stunk.

somedevil

Raw Viewership for 2/22

8pm: 4.201
9pm: 4.055
10pm: 3.396

Avg: 3.884

Good lord that hour 3. 805,000 people left from hour 1 to 3 and 659,000 from hour 2 to 3.

Well can't blame them when they didn't give much in hour 3. It was that 6 man tag and Reigns vs Sheamus.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Raw Viewership for 2/22

Good lord that hour 3. 805,000 people left from hour 1 to 3 and 659,000 from hour 2 to 3.

Well can't blame them when they didn't give much in hour 3. It was that 6 man tag and Reigns vs Sheamus.
Almost 1 million viewers lost in the span of 2 hours, good lord. No wonder Shane had to shoot on them last night.

Toki767

Also, yeah, this. First Rock vs Cena was a pretty decent match. Rock/Cena 2 was the one that stunk.

You can tell Pat Patterson probably laid out their first match.

Who knows what happened in their second match though. Not sure if Rock just got injured early on and all they could think to do was spam finishers or if that was the actual plan.

Raw Viewership for 2/22

Still think it's odd they opened with Shane. Seems like common sense that the show would go down from there viewership-wise.

klonere

Banned
Still think it's odd they opened with Shane. Seems like common sense that the show would go down from there viewership-wise.

I'm pretty sure they know that nothing can save the third hour anymore so they gotta front load the real juicy stuff into the first hour most of the time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thing is, if you pop social media big at the start, you stand a better chance of people checking it out while it's on, as opposed to after it's off the air like the end would.

Top Bottom