• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Raw Viewership for 2/22

8pm: 4.201
9pm: 4.055
10pm: 3.396

Avg: 3.884

Good lord that hour 3. 805,000 people left from hour 1 to 3 and 659,000 from hour 2 to 3.

Well can't blame them when they didn't give much in hour 3. It was that 6 man tag and Reigns vs Sheamus.
Thanks a lot Roman

It got too over. You don't want a bunny humping people to get cheered more than Roman Reigns.

Okay. I was wondering if there was pushback from parental groups for them really going in with a furry character. Sad because it could have been good visibility for the movement.

Kaladin

Fire everybody involved in the editing of this. EVERYONE. That actually made my head hurt, holy shit.

Going from Brock's beatdown to that is not a good time.

Good god. Is it my computer or does it look like they are stuck in a pocket dimension where time is sped up?

Said this in OT, but I'll add it here:

Ticketmaster has had that listing worded that way since December. Are we really thinking WWE has had some grand story with Shane planned out for that long?

Perhaps, but their other RAW listings don't have that vs. included.

If it's a typo then it's an odd one!

Anth0ny

Raw Viewership for 2/22

8pm: 4.201
9pm: 4.055
10pm: 3.396

Avg: 3.884

Good lord that hour 3. 805,000 people left from hour 1 to 3 and 659,000 from hour 2 to 3.

Well can't blame them when they didn't give much in hour 3. It was that 6 man tag and Reigns vs Sheamus.

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that drop

BFIB

Watched Raw.

Thoughts:

-The Fucking Jason Bourne shaky cam crap has got to go. Seeing that constant "zoom in, zoom out" while Triple H was engraving the WWE logo on Roman's forehead was ridiculous.
-Roman.......can't really say anything that's already been said a million times. Normally, I have to respect the talent, no matter how I agree, or disagree with the direction, but I honestly hope the crowd just shits all over this. Not that it will matter, but seriously, I have not seen a guy like Roman booked this shitty since Diesel during his run. Oh wait, the similarities are endless!
-I actually liked the buildup for Brock/Ambrose. I liked it more when it was Spike Dudley vs. Mike Awesome though
-Charlotte continues to amaze. Wearing Bryan's attire was awesome.
-Shane wrestling.....in 2016. Meanwhile, there is a Finn Balor down in NXT that would be an amazing opponent for 'Taker. or Owens. Basically, why the fuck should I care about this match? Is 'Taker heel in this? Once again the booking doesn't really specify.

Sephzilla

Watched Raw.

Thoughts:

-The Fucking Jason Bourne shaky cam crap has got to go. Seeing that constant "zoom in, zoom out" while Triple H was engraving the WWE logo on Roman's forehead was ridiculous.
-Roman.......can't really say anything that's already been said a million times. Normally, I have to respect the talent, no matter how I agree, or disagree with the direction, but I honestly hope the crowd just shits all over this. Not that it will matter, but seriously, I have not seen a guy like Roman booked this shitty since Diesel during his run. Oh wait, the similarities are endless!
-I actually liked the buildup for Brock/Ambrose. I liked it more when it was Spike Dudley vs. Mike Awesome though
-Shane wrestling.....in 2016. Meanwhile, there is a Finn Balor down in NXT that would be an amazing opponent for 'Taker. or Owens. Basically, why the fuck should I care about this match? Is 'Taker heel in this? Once again the booking doesn't really specify.

The shaky cam and zoom in and out shit during the HHH/Roman bit was quite possibly the worst it has ever been

kiguel182

I'm pretty sure they know that nothing can save the third hour anymore so they gotta front load the real juicy stuff into the first hour most of the time.

I've noticed this. Apart from Bryan's retirement it seems they have been leaving the third hour to die.

Honestly, booking a really strong two hour show + third hour of filler isn't that bad of an idea since they can't get rid of the third hour.

Sephzilla

3 hour Raws absolutely need to stop being a thing. Yes, Roman vs Shaemus is going to cause people to change channels but I don't think anything short of Austin vs Rock is going to cause the third hour to be salvagable.

Toki767

Roman should start wearing that face mask Taker wore back in the day when he got injured. Then he'll be covered full body except for his arms and hair. Vince would push him even harder.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
3 hour Raws absolutely need to stop being a thing. Yes, Roman vs Shaemus is going to cause people to change channels but I don't think anything short of Austin vs Rock is going to cause the third hour to be salvagable.

how are you going to fulfill their television deals?

Watched Raw.

Thoughts:

Why feed a NXT guy to Taker? They'd get nothing from it

Meltz seems to think that Shane wouldn't come back long term unless he had an actual executive office position, which goes along with my thinking that he went out on his own to gain experience running a company and will now come back to eventually run it when Vince leaves along with Steph and HHH.

kiguel182

It's a shame they locked that deal. It was a big mistake for the quality of the product.

With the talent they have they could produce a really solid 2 hour show but 3 hours coupled with a bad creative team = an uneven show that's almost impossible to watch from start to finish.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well you have to suffer with the 3 hour Raws until their next contract renegotiation comes through. But once they can negotiate that, they need to kill off the 3 hour show.

Let's revisit this idea in 2019 when the TV deal is up

Meltz seems to think that Shane wouldn't come back long term unless he had an actual executive office position, which goes along with my thinking that he went out on his own to gain experience running a company and will now come back to eventually run it when Vince leaves along with Steph and HHH.

I can see that. Their Board of Directors has a hard pill to swallow with HHH trying to take over as he has no formal education or experience elsewhere. He's a blue collar guy, so to speak, compared to someone who should be running the company. Shane has better qualifications, and has experience with other companies, not just something handed to him. It's promising.

kiguel182

Also, how many times have Sheamus and Reigns have faced in the last like 4 months?

They run matches to the ground, it's tiring. Talent gets exposed, injured and it doesn't produce a quality product.

2 hours, less matches, more segments, some jobbers. There.

Save the big matches for big occasions and PPVs.

Well you have to suffer with the 3 hour Raws until their next contract renegotiation comes through. But once they can negotiate that, they need to kill off the 3 hour show.

Any negotiation where you tell USA you are giving them less product is going to result in a greatly reduced deal, and a majority of WWE's revenue comes from the TV deal. They can't just willingly slash tens of millions off their contract.

Roman should start wearing that face mask Taker wore back in the day when he got injured. Then he'll be covered full body except for his arms and hair. Vince would push him even harder.

"We're here at wrestlemania, HHH vs Roman Reigns for the WWE Title! Wait, what's Roman got there in the ring?!?!?"

b5q2i4u.gif

Sephzilla

Let's revisit this idea in 2019 when the TV deal is up.

Jesus, it's not until 2019? Vince fucked up.

There are other things you can do in the meantime to make 3 hour Raws slightly more bearable, though.

1- Stop recapping what happened during the same show.
2- Too many commercial breaks. There were a couple instances last night where it was commercial - intros - commercial again.
3- Too many commercials during fucking matches.
4- Matches are truthfully going on too long. Trim some of the matches so we don't get multiple commercial breaks during them.
5- Give more wrestlers promo time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, it's not until 2019? Vince fucked up.

There are other things you can do in the meantime to make 3 hour Raws slightly more bearable, though.

1- Stop recapping what happened during the same show.
2- Too many commercial breaks. There were a couple instances last night where it was commercial - intros - commercial again.
3- Too many commercials during fucking matches.
4- Matches are truthfully going on too long. Trim some of the matches so we don't get multiple commercial breaks during them.
5- Give more wrestlers promo time.

#1 makes things worse as that's more time to fill
#2 is necessary
#3 is necessary
#4 this would make things worse as there'd be more time to fill
#5 I'm all on board for

As far as things that I think would make it better, it'd be nice to splice in more Network original footage of different shows, but I don't know if that works to cross purposes with USA's own content needing to be pushed and if a streaming competitor to them is allowed to be done. Also, this hurts the live experience.

I don't think there's a lot more to do that can be done. WCW had 3 hour Nitros that USUALLY were okay, but you had a huge variation of wrestlers in that first or second hour. Lucha especially. Maybe WWE can work with their lightweights to find a way.

Sephzilla

#2 is necessary
#3 is necessary
#5 I'm all on board for

I feel like you just contradicted yourself since you complained about having to fill more time, and then supported something that would fill more time.

Also, I really don't think commercial breaks during matches are really that necessary.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like you just contradicted yourself since you complained about having to fill more time, and then supported something that would fill more time.

Also, I really don't think commercial breaks during matches are really that necessary.

Commercials are how people get paid, daddeh

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't say get rid of commercial breaks, though. I just said don't put them in the middle of matches.

For all the comparisons WWE likes to make to real sports, you never see the NFL cut to commercial in the middle of a play.

A better comparison would be in the middle of a drive, though. Which can happen, briefly

jmdajr

Cool if true

Menome

Haha. Good point. I suppose Entertainia doesn't have quite the same ring.

Isn't that where He-Man lives?

There's a disappointing lack of self inserts in all of your fan fiction

"...and after Damien Sandow finished his clean pin of Roman Reigns to win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, I had a massive threesome with Becky Lynch and Bayley before Vince shook my hand and said I had full booking control for the rest of my life.

Copyrighted material. Do not steal."

Toki767

I think ideally, you'd have HHH running the on-air product and talent in general, Stephanie running the PR side, and Shane running business/finance.

Play to each of their strengths rather than trying to get a one size fits all thing because you will need tons of people to replace Vince.

kiguel182

#2 is necessary
#3 is necessary
#5 I'm all on board for

As far as things that I think would make it better, it'd be nice to splice in more Network original footage of different shows, but I don't know if that works to cross purposes with USA's own content needing to be pushed and if a streaming competitor to them is allowed to be done. Also, this hurts the live experience.

I don't think there's a lot more to do that can be done. WCW had 3 hour Nitros that USUALLY were okay, but you had a huge variation of wrestlers in that first or second hour. Lucha especially. Maybe WWE can work with their lightweights to find a way.

But why not fill time with interesting content? Create some segments, do some jobber matches to show off talent.

Just do something different.

Seriously, apart from Shane was there anything unexpected on Raw? Or, hell, even interesting or different?

The show has 3 hours and no creativity, it's a deadly combination.

kiguel182

Well if Wal Street does want a college educated man/woman to run the company its going to be Shane or Steph.

I can't see HHH getting board approval to run anything other than talent and creative.

HHH's place is talent and creative. It's what he is being groomed to do and what he can do.

thuway

This seems like the most rushed, under produced, half baked build up to a Wrestlemania that I can remember. Shane-O-Mac returns?!! I know some people are marking out, but honestly, it feels like it won't solve the real underlying issues with WWE:

1. Awful booking
2. Injuries to multiple wrestlers
3. A lack of a likable and "over" guy to spearhead the company

Shane will be back, and we'll once again have a program where the McMahon family is center stage of a story line that has been done to death.

It's kind of ironic to see them scramble seeing as how WWE has the most decorated and technically proficient talent today. It definetely isn't a roster problem. Guerilla Games couldn't fix this shit.

Fox318

HHH's place is talent and creative. It's what he is being groomed to do and what he can do.

Honestly the one thing Shane has going for him is that he doesn't have that TV deal mess on his hands.

I know Steph was protected but there is no way that the current TV deal didn't have her working hand in hand with NBC.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In all seriousness, they were building Roman for a long time, and Rollins had no trace of a face, character wise. He was whinny, he trashed Kane out of impulse and I think he was actually turning into a comedic heel.

In my opinion, everything was leading to Seth not being credible at all and being as annoying as possible so cool guy Reigns could slap him in the face and be loved by the fans.

I do think he can be a face based on how well he speaks and how charismatic he is, and I do think he's got the potential to be The Guy, but I fear that he'll hit a glass ceiling simply because he might not be the guy WWE wants.

You don't remember that entire angle where Rollins kept saying he didn't NEED Triple H?

Top Bottom