• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Cb7z-IkXIAED33s.jpg

We saw saxton Throwing roman the ketchup packet whos he trying to fool

DMczaf

Raw Viewership for 2/22

8pm: 4.201
9pm: 4.055
10pm: 3.396

Avg: 3.884

Good lord that hour 3. 805,000 people left from hour 1 to 3 and 659,000 from hour 2 to 3.

Well can't blame them when they didn't give much in hour 3. It was that 6 man tag and Reigns vs Sheamus.

The ratings speak for themselves.

The mainstream audience is ready for the Shoot-Era.

#FromTheHip

Zach

I try to turn my brain off and skip over posts about my boys Enzo and Cass being called up, but should I be concerned about them not making it to NXT Dallas? The ladybird I'm going with will be crushed if Enzo isn't there. And she's already not jazzed about Sasha being a no-show.

UberTag

Bold prediction. Sasha vs Charlotte or possibly Sasha vs Becky vs Charlotte will be Match of the Night at Mania.
The only way this doesn't become Mania's Match of the Night is if KO vs AJ happens.
There's going to be a multi-man spotfest match of some kind that will steal the show.
It just hasn't been announced yet because the outcome isn't important and none of the participants are being built for anything.
And it will likely involve both KO and AJ.

So what will Mr.Hs entrance be this year?

We had Shao Kahn and Terminator, might as well go full viking Thor.
What movie franchise does Triple H want to pretend he's the star of this year? Star Wars?

So did roman legit break his nose or was it a work?
large.gif

Zach

There's going to be a multi-man spotfest match of some kind that will steal the show.
It just hasn't been announced yet because the outcome isn't important and none of the participants are being built for anything.

What movie franchise does Triple H want to pretend he's the star of this year? Star Wars?

Spot-fests are fun, but Match of the Night? I sure hope that's not the case.

And I'm thinking he'll do a Fifty Shades of Black theme.

Kylo Ren then? That seems oddly fitting for HHH.

LycanXIII

I try to turn my brain off and skip over posts about my boys Enzo and Cass being called up, but should I be concerned about them not making it to NXT Dallas? The ladybird I'm going with will be crushed if Enzo isn't there. And she's already not jazzed about Sasha being a no-show.

You should be concerned. It's the main reason a large majority were expecting them Sunday night.

Dear god, the commentary when Shane returned was atrocious. Michael Cole didnt give a fuck, JBL pretends that he is supporting Stephanie, Byron is Byron.

It takes out so much of the magic of these things

hamchan

Hey Verendus, how do you feel knowing how close Big Dave was to having a starring role at Wrestlemania 32 as the special ref in the main event?
yFIb.png

It's funny that they're trying to make Roman look like an underdog when everyone in the audience sees him as the most blessed wrestler on the roster.

Zach

Dear god, the commentary when Shane returned was atrocious. Michael Cole didnt give a fuck, JBL pretends that he is supporting Stephanie, Byron is Byron.

I don't see any problem with this. I mean, JBL sucks hard, but there's nothing wrong with him initially believing Shane was there to show his support.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I was marking the fuck out too much to notice what commentary were saying.

I was just screaming jumping up and down while my gf looked at me like I was crazy.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I would like to point out that this would have worked perfectly had fucking Saxton not been the handoff man.

Saxton just fucked up a mania build single handedly

There's at least some chance that they used the fake packet and then accidentally did bust his nose.

Fox318

There's at least some chance that they used the fake packet and then accidentally did bust his nose.

doesn't matter, because he fucked up he exposed the business and probably made an easy story of a injured reigns fighting to get back from "real" injuries to now those fans doubling down on those boos,

Look at fucking big show. One podcast interview and the smarks are rooting for him. This could have been that for Roman but that empty husk of a personality couldn't even try to do a better handoff.

BFIB

It's funny that they're trying to make Roman look like an underdog when everyone in the audience sees him as the most blessed wrestler on the roster.
Going to the well way too often to get a guy over. The crowd bought into Bryan because the crowd willed it to happen. The fans aren't buying this shit at all. Kind of hard to root for the guy when he has so many fucking chances. It's Hogan WCW level.

Menome

What is Fox talking about?

Byron Saxton being caught on a camera he didn't know was there, handing the blood capsule to Roman.

EDIT: I mean, none of us were 100% certain if Reigns had legitimately busted his nose or not, because Saxton did what was needed and passed the capsule whilst the official cameras were looking the other way. It's not his fault an audience member decided to break the spell.

Just saw the youtube vid. Based Shane is back! He can still shift like no one's business.
So, I assume the Vincent J. McMahon Award for Excellence was a work?

If Shane is legit back and winning at WrestleMania his first in character act of business on Monday night should be "firing" the commentary team and moving Mauro Ranallo to Raw.

UberTag

The commentary was garbage the entire night... and it will kill the mystique of Shane "taking over Monday Night RAW" on Night 1 if they pull the trigger at Mania.

The crowd popped because they want change. They didn't pop because they want the Wizard of Oz to sell them on pretend change. And the WWE has dangled this carrot far too many times before.

523552_10152136299465393_1487968607_n1.jpg

Shane McMahon is the hat.

So, I assume the Vincent J. McMahon Award for Excellence was a work?
large.gif

Ithil

They missed a golden opportunity with this phony surgery.
All they had to do was, instead of a broken nose, say that HHH injured Reigns' throat with that bell shot and report that, tragically, Reigns will not be able to speak for the next six weeks.

Menome

They missed a golden opportunity with this phony surgery.
All they had to do was, instead of a broken nose, say that HHH injured Reigns' throat with that bell shot and report that, tragically, Reigns will not be able to speak for the next six weeks.

They could give him Kane's old voice-module and make him a Romandroid.

On purpose or not, that shouldn't happen. Just do commercials inbetween segments.

The whole point of having commercials during matches is so people watch the commercials because they want to know how the match ends. If the match ends and there's a stopping point, I can go see what's on Animal Planet or TBS during the commercial break.

As for jobber matches, sorry, the WWE has told the audience for 20 years that the only matches that matter are name vs. name matches. You want to see ratings drops? Start putting midcarders like Ziggler or Goldust in jobber matches.

The whole point of having commercials during matches is so people watch the commercials because they want to know how the match ends. If the match ends and there's a stopping point, I can go see what's on Animal Planet or TBS during the commercial break.

As for jobber matches, sorry, the WWE has told the audience for 20 years that the only matches that matter are name vs. name matches. You want to see ratings drops? Start putting midcarders like Ziggler or Goldust in jobber matches.

Ryback got over for a time doing jobber matches, but you're right that nobody would give a fuck enough to watch people squash jobbers on a weekly basis, especially when WWE can achieve the same effect without having to pay freelancers.

Ryback got over for a time doing jobber matches, but you're right that nobody would give a fuck enough to watch people squash jobbers on a weekly basis, especially when WWE can achieve the same effect without having to pay freelancers.

Right. You can have one roided out dude squashing dudes in 30 seconds because everybody knows there's a point to them and it stands out. But, seeing Goldust or some other lower midcarder squash a dude so he can be more over to job to I don't know, Dolph Ziggler on the pre-show at Payback ain't going to work.

UberTag

This is a concept that makes sense for main event matches and matches with legitimate stakes. It does NOT make sense for matches where the outcomes have no consequence in a product mired in 50/50 booking.

It also really does NOT make sense for live shows... because cutting away from a match for 5 minutes "when it could feasibly end at any second but 100% of the time never does" to give the advertisers time to shill stuff clearly evokes the image of this being a scripted dance and not two people who are fighting to win a title or a match or do anything but perform. This idea works for boxing or UFC because there are rounds with desginated break periods. It doesn't work in wrestling where those are substituted with rest holds and a person getting the obvious laid out spot outside the ring (where the threat of a countout ought to be in play).

Hell, even a "tape delay" approach for a "live event" would be a fitting workaround for this. Cut to commercial. Cut back to that exact point in the match after the commercial. Fans at home didn't miss a thing.

Top Bottom