• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Zach

Cena's wrasslin' is just too stiff (not in the wrestling way) and awkward (in the ring) for me to ever be a fan. I appreciate his effort, though.

Well, Cena coming to uh, term, if we can use a pregnancy thing, was very different from Austin on his way out. Austin was a cunt. Cena hit his stride being all-american Marine-style, that was when he hit critical mass. Previous to Austin was who, Hogan? Very different. After Cena, we had what appeared to be Bryan before bad luck happened.

I think so, honestly.

Previous to Austin was I think Brett and/or HBK.

Sephzilla

Roman Reigns is basically comparable to Lex Luger and Big Daddy Cool Diesel. Two failed "face of the company" talents who didn't work because one was basically Neo Hogan and the other was pushed too soon. I guess to continue the comparison, Daniel Bryan was the closest thing we had to a Bret Hart that was more over and a better worker than either of them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cena's wrasslin' is just too stiff (not in the wrestling way) and awkward (in the ring) for me to ever be a fan. I appreciate his effort, though.

I dunno, outside of that horrible Springboard stunner move, I felt like he's kept up well with some of the more flippy indie guys that have come in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't a more fair comparison to Cena's early US Title run be Roman's turn with the Shield? Or has revisionist history made that shit as well.

Roman was always the breakout guy in the Shield. Always.

Ithil

Think of every face of the company since post-Hogan, there is always at least one failed top guy attempt, then the actual next top face is completely different from the previous one.

Hogan had two attempted replacements, Warrior and Luger. Bret ultimately was the real next guy.
Then Diesel as Bret's replacement, with HBK ultimately as the real next guy
Then arguably Rocky Maivia or HHH as HBK's replacement, that time is a bit muddled. Austin ultimately was the real next guy.
Then it's a special boom period where Rock is the top guy at the same time as Austin.
Then Orton as Rock/Austin's intended replacement, and Batista, but ultimately Cena was the real next guy.

Then they stopped looking for a next top guy and started looking for a number two guy behind Cena. They tried a lot of folks like Lashley over the years. Then they went with Del Rio and Sheamus, but Punk and Bryan ended up as the actual number two guys.

Reigns is the first time they've gone for a total new face of the company in a decade. So far...not good.

Does he? Because Luger was a lot more over as a failed Hogan than Reigns is as a failed Cena.

Different crowds and time though. The crowds weren't nearly as "smarky" then they are now so it was still easy to eat up what the WWE was throwing at you. Luger also didn't originally come in as a face. He had that whole perfection angle initially. I don't think he really became a face until the whole Yokozuna thing and that was only because Yokozuna was a fantastic heel.

Mahonay

Banned
Wouldn't a more fair comparison to Cena's early US Title run be Roman's turn with the Shield? Or has revisionist history made that shit as well.
If you line up Roman's Shield run with Cena's US Champ run, Cena was many times the better performer, on the mic and in the ring.

Roman was over for sure, but even then there is a clear gap in talent level between the two.

Roman was always the breakout guy in the Shield. Always.

He was way more popular than early wrestling shorts Cena or pandering sports jersey rapper Cena, but for some reason it doesn't count because...?

If you line up Roman's Shield run with Cena's US Champ run, Cena was many times the better performer, on the mic and in the ring.

Roman was over for sure, but even then there is a clear gap in talent level between the two.

Roman is a significantly better wrestler than Cena at that point in their career. Go back and watch some if you don't believe me.

Ithil

There is no comparison to be made between Cena as a singles guy and Reigns as part of a three man group. If anything the bizarre truncated way Reigns' main roster career has been is a major contributor to his deficiencies now.

Never mind that Doctor of Thuganomics Cena was more popular than the Shield anyway.

Zach

I dunno, outside of that horrible Springboard stunner move, I felt like he's kept up well with some of the more flippy indie guys that have come in.

Yeah, but he doesn't move fluidly or naturally. And what's up with his terrible selling? Like, specifically when he's in a submission? Or that face he makes when he has someone in his fairly crappy STF?

I dunno. Maybe I'm misremembering. It's been a while.

Mahonay

Banned
If you want to put Reigns on the same 10 year track as Cena, then maybe in a decade we will get Thuganomics Reigns.

Yes I think the gap is that wide between the two.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whether Roman was over in the Shield or not isn't that relevant right now because what the audience is objecting to at this point isn't the guy playing Roman Reigns, its that he's being forced in a world where audiences still subscribe to the theory that getting pushed should be a result of people liking you, not the opposite. Whether that has ever been true is a different story.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is no comparison to be made between Cena as a singles guy and Reigns as part of a three man group.

Never mind that Doctor of Thuganomics Cena was more popular than the Shield anyway.

I tweeted to Meltzer about that last point because I don't think so, but I also am not sure since I didn't follow WWE when Thuganomics was a thing. I didn't know how pervasive it was or what the genuine response was.

Ithil

I tweeted to Meltzer about that last point because I don't think so, but I also am not sure since I didn't follow WWE when Thuganomics was a thing. I didn't know how pervasive it was or what the genuine response was.

Watch the opening match of WrestleMania 20, and get your answer.

Angry Grimace

I don't think a heel turn would fix Reigns in the way you guys are imagining. It would fix him in terms of how popular he is right now, as a character, but I doubt it would stop anyone from booing him the second he did anything face-like.

When the Rock did it, it was because the ultra babyface character they assigned him was holding back his natural charisma, but I have yet to actually see anything like that from Roman. And hell, pretty much every thing we've heard from backstage stuff makes him sound like he's fucking clueless to begin with - Triple H had to lobby hard for the chair-beating angle and Roman's idea to protect his character was walking out of the Rumble under his own power (which made no fucken sense).

Mahonay

Banned
He was way more popular than early wrestling shorts Cena or pandering sports jersey rapper Cena, but for some reason it doesn't count because...?

Roman is a significantly better wrestler than Cena at that point in their career. Go back and watch some if you don't believe me.
I've watched that Mania 20 match against Big Show quite a few times, and even if he's rough in the ring, the dude already knew exactly how to get that crowd heated up. His ring presence and timing was better than Reigns by a lot.

I think Reigns performs his move set way more smoothly than Cena did at that point in his career, but who gives a fuck when it's all just going through the motions with no flare and no passion.

Roman reminds me so much of Diesel. People fell in love with Diesel because he looked good and was bsd ass. Same with Roman in The Shield. Now they've stripped away his cool factor, just like they did Diesel.

Mahonay

Banned
You are a sick man.
I love Thuganomcis Cena. I missed out on it as I was lapsed during that point. Going back and watching it now, that shit was electric even if it was ludicrous.
Roman reminds me so much of Diesel. People fell in love with Diesel because he looked good and was bsd ass. Same with Roman in The Shield. Now they've stripped away his cool factor, just like they did Diesel.
This is an even better comparison than Luger.

Angry Grimace

I honestly just think the question of whether Roman was over in the Shield is totally irrelevant at this point. He's very clearly the opposite of over right now and he's not at the beginning of a Rocket Push - he's about to headline WrestleMania two years in a row.

Sephzilla

Thugonomics Cena was over as fuck. Crowds honestly didn't start turning on him until he started transitioning into the stale babyface he's been for the last decade.

Ithil

I honestly just think the question of whether Roman was over in the Shield is totally irrelevant at this point. He's very clearly the opposite of over right now and he's not at the beginning of a Rocket Push - he's about to headline WrestleMania two years in a row.

And he went straight from the Shield into said Rocket Push. How can you be trying to have a "coronation" of a guy at two WMs in a row? It's like they keep delaying or repeating it til it gets the "correct" reaction but them delaying/repeating is just ensuring it's never, ever going to get the "correct" reaction.
It's not as though this WM 32 would be Reigns' offical entry into the top spot like WM 14 for Austin or WM 21 for Batista and Cena, he's already been the top guy for 13 months now. So what even is this main event?

Angry Grimace

All I'm saying is that I don't think the Cena comparisons are all that valid. There have been a lot more failures in creating "the new Hulk Hogan" than successes. Cena is a once in a lifetime talent, whether you want to admit it or not.

The real reason why Roman's overness as part of The Shield is irrelevant is because every single thing roman was involved with from the breakup to WM 31 was dogshit.

It's an imperfect parallel to compare Cena's US title run with Roman as part of the Shield, I will grant you that. It is also totally unfair to act as if Roman did not exist as an individual prior to the spring of 2014.

It's incredibly insulting to diminish him as a person like that. I'm reticent to say it's racially motivated, but it's hard to ignore the history of wrestling fans marginalizing and mistreating non-white performers.

Ithil

It's an imperfect parallel to compare Cena's US title run with Roman as part of the Shield, I will grant you that. It is also totally unfair to act as if Roman did not exist as an individual prior to the spring of 2014.

It's incredibly insulting to diminish him as a person like that. I'm reticent to say it's racially motivated, but it's hard to ignore the history of wrestling fans marginalizing and mistreating non-white performers.

Why is anyone supposed to take you seriously again?

Sephzilla

I think the reason the comparison is made is because that was when both of them were singles competitors. Comparing Cena's US Title run to Roman in The Shield is a poor, in my opinion, because one guy was a singles wrestler while Roman was doing tag team stuff that was covering up his flaws a lot more.

Also, implying the Roman dislike is from racism? Get out of here with that hot garbage.

Top Bottom