• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Sephzilla

In-ring has been excellent for WWE, and people went nuts over Shane McMahon's return, and I see a lot of you watching every week

Lose the hyperbole, friends. You love it. You LOVE it. And it's not garbage. If you didn't love it, you wouldn't watch. Soak it up. DRINK FROM THE CUP. IT NEVER ENDS

I'd say the in-ring has potential to be excellent, but hasn't exactly reached it yet.

Mahonay

Banned
In-ring has been excellent for WWE, and people went nuts over Shane McMahon's return, and I see a lot of you watching every week

Lose the hyperbole, friends. You love it. You LOVE it. And it's not garbage. If you didn't love it, you wouldn't watch. Soak it up. DRINK FROM THE CUP. IT NEVER ENDS
I only watch highlights every couple of weeks and follow the rest in this thread. Fuck actually watching RAW. I hate myself but not that much.

Work rate has been excellent. Storytelling has been steaming dog shit, up until things heated up for a couple angles this past Monday.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say the in-ring has potential to be excellent, but hasn't exactly reached it yet.

What more do you want? Kevin Owens is wrestling. Neville. Stardust. Brock Lesnar. The New Day. The Dudleys. Sheamus. Rusev. Until recently, Cena. There's very little that's lacking. You can't find much better talent elsewhere, unless you're someone who enjoys a particular niche that's catered to, such as grapplefuck.

I only watch highlights every couple of weeks and follow the rest in this thread. Fuck actually watching RAW. I hate myself but not that much.

Work rate has been excellent. Storytelling has been steaming dog shit, up until things heated up for a couple angles this past Monday.

Best way to do it. Watch what's notable. The storytelling is where I feel WWE lacks, but definitely not in-ring.

Many people here would see their quality of life improve if they just LET GO

Looking at you, OfficerRob

tumblr_nxm3sxPxOV1szo5zqo1_500.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm really fascinated to know what the Shane/Haitch relationship is like. Then there's also the legit tension between Shane and Vince. Backstage must be kind of crazy right now.

I wonder what Shane and Paul Heyman's relationship is like. If he could bring Heyman back into the creative fold with out him having to get pounded hard by Vince, we could see some good shit.

Depends entirely on how much of Shane's speech on Monday was worked.

There has always been doubt on Triple H taking over for Vince given how they need to convince the shareholders and board that he and Steph are fit for the CEO job. That's why they have Steph do all those internships in Asia and what not. It's very possible that the whole reason Shane left WWE and went to be an actual CEO of his own company (and fairly succesful, as well) was an intentional move to make him seem more valid as a CEO.

That way, Shane can run the business. Stephanie can run the PR. And Trips can produce the talent and TV.

Cagey

Banned
Think about it.

Shane McMahon leaves in 2009.

In 2011, CM Punk said that he likes to think WWE will be better when Vince McMahon is dead, but his idiot daughter and doofus son-in-law would just take over.

In 2014, CM Punk leaves, sits down for an interview on a fat guy's podcast, complains he never was in the main event of Wrestlemania.

Shane McMahon returns, needs to fight Undertaker in what will main event (or co-main event) Wrestlemania to take over WWE Raw. Shane McMahon will need a champion.

Follow the money, friends.

tumblr_midrxq7BMZ1r0mo8bo1_500.jpg

Sephzilla

What more do you want? Kevin Owens is wrestling. Neville. Stardust. Brock Lesnar. The New Day. The Dudleys. Sheamus. Rusev. Until recently, Cena. There's very little that's lacking. You can't find much better talent elsewhere, unless you're someone who enjoys a particular niche that's catered to, such as grapplefuck.

I'd like a few more of these guys to be in the main event scene? The main event picture right now (at least for full-timers) consists purely of Roman and Ambrose, who both aren't that great in the ring. Okay, Roman isn't bad, but he's got a bad case of the Cena no-sell problem.

I'm really fascinated to know what the Shane/Haitch relationship is like. Then there's also the legit tension between Shane and Vince. Backstage must be kind of crazy right now.

I wonder what Shane and Paul Heyman's relationship is like. If he could bring Heyman back into the creative fold with out him having to get pounded hard by Vince, we could see some good shit.

In the latest observer Meltzer wrote that shane wanted to buy ECW and keep Heyman as the booker

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like a few more of these guys to be in the main event scene? The main event picture right now (at least for full-timers) consists purely of Roman and Ambrose, who both aren't that great in the ring. Okay, Roman isn't bad, but he's got a bad case of the Cena no-sell problem.

Why does it matter if they're in the main event or not, except from a storyline perspective? Val Venis and D'Lo Brown made it work in an opening match. Johnny B Badd and Brian Pillman tore the house down in an opener. Mr. Perfect was always a midcard guy. It doesn't diminish them! I promise!

Think about it.

In 2011, CM Punk said that he likes to think WWE will be better when Vince McMahon is dead, but his idiot daughter and doofus son-in-law would just take over.

In 2014, CM Punk leaves, sits down for an interview on a fat guy's podcast, complains he never was in the main event of Wrestlemania.

Shane McMahon returns, needs to fight Undertaker in what will main event (or co-main event) Wrestlemania to take over WWE Raw. Shane McMahon will need a champion.

Buff Bagwell?

Sephzilla

Why does it matter if they're in the main event or not, except from a storyline perspective? Val Venis and D'Lo Brown made it work in an opening match. Johnny B Badd and Brian Pillman tore the house down in an opener. Mr. Perfect was always a midcard guy. It doesn't diminish them! I promise!

You're not wrong! I guess I just wish the main event scene better compared to what the mid card has.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're not wrong! I guess I just wish the main event scene better compared to what the mid card has.

Maybe it's because I'm a WCW Survivor who loved their midcard, but that's where the best stuff almost always is. We were in a unique space with Cena, Lesnar, and Rollins last year because the main events were hot fuckin' fire.

The midcard is not unlike college football. Some people have no prayer at ever winning a game, others bring EVERYTHING they have into it and are there for a reason, wanting to put on the best match they can.

Mahonay

Banned

There has always been doubt on Triple H taking over for Vince given how they need to convince the shareholders and board that he and Steph are fit for the CEO job. That's why they have Steph do all those internships in Asia and what not. It's very possible that the whole reason Shane left WWE and went to be an actual CEO of his own company (and fairly succesful, as well) was an intentional move to make him seem more valid as a CEO.

That way, Shane can run the business. Stephanie can run the PR. And Trips can produce the talent and TV.
That's my ideal scenario as well.
In the latest observer Meltzer wrote that shane wanted to buy ECW and keep Heyman as the booker
Oh man. I really hope that he's interested in getting involved again.

Zach

Maybe it's because I'm a WCW Survivor who loved their midcard, but that's where the best stuff almost always is. We were in a unique space with Cena, Lesnar, and Rollins last year because the main events were hot fuckin' fire.

The midcard is not unlike college football. Some people have no prayer at ever winning a game, others bring EVERYTHING they have into it and are there for a reason, wanting to put on the best match they can.

WCW? Midcard? College football?

You're hitting all my favorite buzzwords, NeoGAF Vince McMahon.

Mahonay

Banned
Think about it.

]
HOLLER IF YA HERE ME
Scott-Steiner-620x250.jpg

HULK KOGAN. GET YOUR RACIS' BALD ASS BACK TO THE WWWE, SO I CANS FUCK YOU UP AND THEN FUCKS YOUR LOVED ONES. YOU KNO YOU AFRAID OF THE BIG POPPA PUMP FREAKZILLA.

Fox318

Vince has had all of this scripted.

He's scripted every part of his life and wrestlers lives since 2001.

He scripted real life relationships and deaths.

Its all a work, friends.

WCW midcard during the monday night wars was SO FUCKING GOOD. holy shit

No way, dude. I used to hate Syxx, but I've come to appreciate dude's run as 6-Pac. X-Pac, on the other hand, has so far suuuucked.

I don't think he's had a match yet, though, which is weird. He and Triple H are about to go at it in the King of the Ring tournament, though. Unless there are shenanigans! Oh, DX!
You're a very weird creature Zach, everyone knows that X Pac is the best reincarnation of Sean Waltman. Until he gets the microphone. He's one of those guys whose voice doesn't match their appearance lol!

But I'm annoyed because they've been waking me up since 6 every ten minutes. Let me sleep. I'm trying to ignore the pain lol. They're good people but let me rest.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It absolutely was. Scott Norton. Curt Hennig. Eddie Guerrero. Booker T. Dean Malenko. ALL the cruiserweights. ALL the luchadors. Saturn. Raven. The whole Flock except Reese since he was EXTRA GARBAGE. Kanyon. Jericho. Goldberg as he was building the streak. Alex Wright. Meng! And many more.

Ithil

Well I wouldn't exactly say that

In 2010, he made a deal to become CEO of YOU On Demand, the first VOD and PPV service in mainland China. The odds of success weren’t that high. It’s very difficult for an outsider to do business in China. And VOD and PPV were not part of the Chinese culture. The rewards, given China’s population and the potential of a VOD and PPV service reaching so many homes, were potentially astronomical.

But it didn’t take off. In 2013, he stepped down as CEO, but still remained the Chairman of the Board. He put a lot of his own money into the money losing company. In 2014, he still had 1,541,204 shares of WWE stock, which at press time was worth in excess of $25 million. But he had invested a lot of his money in the company, and there was also a very expensive civil case regarding mold found in his home.

Through the end of 2014, YOU on Demand had lost $71,904,000. Worse, it was not growing as a company. In 2010, Shane McMahon’s first year as CEO, the company grossed $7,649,000 in revenue. In 2013, his last year as CEO, the gross revenue was $309,000. It did increase to $1,963,000 in 2014.

In December, Sun Seven Stars Media Group Limited invested $10 million into the company, and the man in charge of that company, Bruno Wu, was named the new Chairman of the Board.

Browny

Banned
You're a very weird creature Zach, everyone knows that X Pac is the best reincarnation of Sean Waltman. Until he gets the microphone. He's one of those guys whose voice doesn't match their appearance lol!

"...make some noise."

X-pac in the ring was damn good for large periods of time. Until he formed X Factor and decided he was really a martial arts expert.

I just want to feel like what I'm watching on the screen is building to something, or is the result or something. I'm tired of sitting around watching thrown together exhibition matches that are more often than not, rematches.

Zach

You know who is literally (get out of my head, Schiavoneeeee!) the best? Kanyon. He actually hasn't been Kanyon long where I'm at -- and I liked Mortis a lot, too, even though he always lost -- but I love Kanyon. One of the few non-cruiserweight mid-carders who was awesome.

His mic work is the worst thing ever. It's like the Wolfpac-trying-to-be-hip schtick turned up to 11.

Mahonay

Banned
I just want to feel like what I'm watching on the screen is building to something, or is the result or something. I'm tired of sitting around watching thrown together exhibition matches that are more often than not, rematches.
But they want to have fun out there and entertain you!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know who is literally (get out of my head, Schiavoneeeee!) the best? Kanyon. He actually hasn't been Kanyon long where I'm at -- and I liked Mortis a lot, too, even though he always lost -- but I love Kanyon. One of the few non-cruiserweight mid-carders who was awesome.

The Innovator of Offense himself. Kanyon was absolutely wonderful.

"...make some noise."

X-pac in the ring was damn good for large periods of time. Until he formed X Factor and decided he was really a martial arts expert.
I'm still dying at when it was Davey Boy, Shawn, and himself snd they said he was throwing worked karate kicks lmfao!

His mic work is the worst thing ever. It's like the Wolfpac-trying-to-be-hip schtick turned up to 11.
Even Kane with that damn voice box was better than him lol. Dude was trash.

Think about it.

CM Punk saving Wrestlemania from his couch... AGAIN!

And what better way to impress the shareholders than by DIVING OFF THE TOP OF HELL IN A CELL

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I wouldn't respect or shake someone's hand who hasn't jumped or fallen 20 feet.

The in ring has been terrible imo. So choreographed, which is a shame because I think it can be so much better. I'd rather blame current WWE style than blame the performers. Watching just looks too telegraphed these days. Like they're not even trying to win or even taking hard bumps. Watch a random match from the 80's or 90's and it's a different world.

KingBroly

Banned
The in ring has been terrible imo. So choreographed, which is a shame because I think it can be so much better. I'd rather blame current WWE style than blame the performers. Watching just looks too telegraphed these days. Like they're not even trying to win or even taking hard bumps. Watch a random match from the 80's or 90's and it's a different world.

There's not a lot of logic to anything they do. Shit just happens. Kalisto beating the 10 count on Sunday against Del Rio. On the floor, thriving in pain, can barely move. Ref hits 9, Kalisto spingboards into the ring like a rabbit before going back to selling death.

Zach

So it's going to end up taking me two to three months to get halfway through 1998. That puts me on pace to finish up the Monday Night Wars (and possibly the universally-loved Super Grades) in June 2017 or so.

I probably shouldn't think about that too much.

Depends on the performer, some of them GET IT. Others like Ziggler take it to far and fuck it up with flippy floppy noodle movements.

Zach

There's not a lot of logic to anything they do. Shit just happens. Kalisto beating the 10 count on Sunday against Del Rio. On the floor, thriving in pain, can barely move. Ref hits 9, Kalisto spingboards into the ring like a rabbit before going back to selling death.

Mmhmm, mmhmm.

You just worked yourself into a shoot.

I always do.

Think about it.

tumblr_midrxq7BMZ1r0mo8bo1_500.jpg
Wait, what mate?

Zach

Depends on the performer, some of them GET IT. Others like Ziggler take it to far and fuck it up with flippy floppy noodle movements.

The biggest issue, I think, is that wrasslin' these days doesn't seem to go where the crowd wants it to go. I mean, strict adherence to the way a match is laid out can be bad, right? Sometimes it works fine, sure, but sometimes you have to come up with stuff on the fly. My understanding is that that doesn't really happen anymore -- and it shows.

But I guess that's a criticism for WWE as a whole. Very little is organic.

Top Bottom