• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Fox318

hmQO3i2.png

Biggest insult to Freestyle Wrestling ever

MC Safety

All she does is raise her arms, because that's the single video game taunt she was taught.

Also, they told her to blow kisses, and to cry out, "How you doon?" every 10 seconds.

She has mastered both, and is thus the greatest villain in wrestling history.

Scottify

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in about Eva Marie and I have to agree with Vince. Heat is heat and over is over regardless of how one achieves. Be it gaining heat from crowds due to skill or heat from excellent verbal skills. I think boos translate no matter how one gets them.

Heroman

Banned
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in about Eva Marie and I have to agree with Vince. Heat is heat and over is over regardless of how one achieves. Be it gaining heat from crowds due to skill or heat from excellent verbal skills. I think boos translate no matter how one gets them.
Heat means nothing for a wrestler if no one wants to see you wresle.

Nekofrog

Banned
I just now realized that one of my good friends is a professor at Full Sail when he told me he had been backstage at some NXT shows even though he's not a wrestling fan. I seriously need to take a vacation out to Florida soon.

Verendus

Banned
I think there's some validity to this, but I think skill should matter and the person should be able to hold their own at some point. I have no idea who Eva Marie is, but this conversation reminds me of when Edge benefitted from being associated with Lita and Vickie Guerrero.

He wasn't as significant by himself, but when paired with those two, fans hated them for either cheating on Jeff Hardy or being the widow of Eddie Guerrero and being with another man. He clearly benefitted more due to other's strengths and not his own. I think that's overlooked because Edge was actually talented, and held up his own in storylines, but I also don't think he's anywhere near as successful without them generating so much hate for him.

In a similar way, this Eva Marie would have to be able to do something with that hate eventually. You need skill to capitalize on it. Godzilla knows her name seems to come up often in this thread, and even with the general negativity, it's something else with her.

I'm assuming she's a developmental talent, right? If that's the case, maybe she's able to improve by the time she gets to the main roster. I assume that's the point of being on that NXT show or whatever.

I think there's some validity to this, but I think skill should matter and the person should be able to hold their own at some point. I have no idea who Eva Marie is, but this conversation reminds me of when Edge benefitted from being associated with Lita and Vickie Guerrero.

He wasn't as significant by himself, but when paired with those two, fans hated them for either cheating on Jeff Hardy or being the widow of Eddie Guerrero and being with another man. He clearly benefitted more due to other's strengths and not his own. I think that's overlooked because Edge was actually talented, and held up his own in storylines, but I also don't think he's anywhere near as successful without them generating so much hate for him.

In a similar way, this Eva Marie would have to be able to do something with that hate eventually. You need skill to capitalize on it. Godzilla knows her name seems to come up often in this thread, and even with the general negativity, it's something else with her.

I'm assuming she's a developmental talent, right? If that's the case, maybe she's able to improve by the time she gets to the main roster. I assume that's the point of being on that NXT show or whatever.

She has skill, and is gaining in it everyday. She will headline a WM event one day, mark my word.

Scottify

Heat means nothing for a wrestler if no one wants to see you wresle.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know if that translates. Sure, the NXT crowd may react that way but perhaps that's because they're 'smarter' than your average WWE crowd and is looking for more skill in the ring. I feel that if the average crowd gets presented with vignettes showcasing how much she's booed, they won't care why, they'll boo her because that's what they were presented.

Yes, she's still developmental. And I do agree that at some point, and I believe it will happen, she will have to be somewhat competent in the ring. She's improved, that can't be denied. Will she put on 5-star classics, not likely, but I do believe she can still tell a story in the ring.

Nekofrog

Banned
i think eva has transcended xpac heat at this point. instead of just not caring (xpac heat) people are actively against the human being portraying the character Eva Marie being in the same building as them

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with X-Pac Heat is that you can't really translate it into anything beyond one-offs like that single episode where she got a title match because the underlying problem is that the recipient of X-Pac Heat is not entertaining.

Scottify

The problem with X-Pac Heat is that you can't really translate it into anything beyond one-offs like that single episode where she got a title match because the underlying problem is that the recipient of X-Pac Heat is not entertaining.

I get where you're coming from, but I think that kind of heat comes from a different core audience. I believe NXT crowds & Raw/Smackdown/PPV crowds are different in how they react to wrestlers. I don't think the average fan cares why she's hated, they just see that she's hated and may go along with the rest of the crowd.

100% certainty. Her being a heel champ hiding behind Nia Jax
and Jax ultimately turning on her
is fucking money.
This would set up Eva going around to the other girls like "hey guys no hard feelings right, we gotta work together to stop her, right guys? .....guys?"

Book it

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the pushback of people decrying Eva Marie is simply because they don't WANT her to get any kind of success in NXT or in wrestling at all. They've made their choice and will dig in their baby heels into the ground to protest, like it matters. Like her shortcomings are a big deal. They're not. They've made more out of less in the past. It's a non-issue. They just want to throw tantrums.

Zach

I think the pushback of people decrying Eva Marie is simply because they don't WANT her to get any kind of success in NXT or in wrestling at all. They've made their choice and will dig in their baby heels into the ground to protest, like it matters. Like her shortcomings are a big deal. They're not. They've made more out of less in the past. It's a non-issue. They just want to throw tantrums.

Pffft. Stop being a goose. Remember the time I posted this:

Oh, and guys, I've been meaning to post that I finally caught up on NXT and I really enjoyed the Bayley/"Corporate" business. It was easily the most enjoyable thing Eva Marie has done ever. It's about the best thing they could've done with her. And get this: I would've been into it if she had won. :O

But then, of course, Willie Regal would make his glorious return and be like "WHAT THE F IS THIS?" and good-guyed Bayley into a rematch at Takeover or whatevz, and then BAM! Bayley's champ again.

All of that being said, since they didn't go that route, I'm fearful that they've missed the boat on the only decent thing Eva Marie could've done. But I guess we shall see.

Those were the days.

Sephzilla

Sad day when the shitty version of Dana and Emma win the title before Emma and Dana.

I think it would be neat if Eva winning the belt temporarily makes the entire rest of the women's division turn face in a grand old "fuck all this shit" when Eva wins the belt, which would include Dana and Emma both gunning for her.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Those were the days.

We're still in these days pal! Eva Marie having a heater is a great thing, amplifies the hate.

Verendus

Banned
"goozle me take!"

GorKfXj.gif
King of the Ring 2000.

Still remember this. Six man tag match where either Rocky, Kane, or Undertaker can become champion by pinning either of the members of Jimmy Haitch's team. The Rock wins by pinning Vincent McMahon in the middle of the ring. Undertaker tries to break it up, but Kane grabs onto his legs for some inane reason.

Now, sixteen years later, Shane McMahon gets his vengeance.

Except for the part where it leads up to unwatchable TV main events. I'm not that annoyed about it, I just skip every Eva match/segment right now.

The really sad thing about NXT is that this Finn/Bayley thing is the most compelling thing Finn's been involved in since Itami got injured.
That Bayley/Eva Marie title match was the best thing on NXT since the last TakeOver special. Not unwatchable in any way.

Kaladin

Those were the days.

It was fun being in the crowd that night. Everything was boo'd to hell strongly and the fear of Eva winning was high. I'll never forget sitting next to that guy reading the book.

Scottify

Have any of you been to any house shows lately? I have one coming to my area a week from Sunday. Tix are a decent price but I haven't been to a house show in probably 20 years.

Last time I was at one we were second row, some kid smacked Vader on the shoulder. He turned on the kid and yelled "Don't ever fucking touch me again!", good times.

Verendus

Banned
That comic insults me due to the lack of Reigns.

Just wait until Wrasslin'Mania 32 has more people in attendance than even Rocky vs. Joan Cena. The power of the Roman Empire.

Zach

We're still in these days pal! Eva Marie having a heater is a great thing, amplifies the hate.

Yeah, I feel like they could still salvage a relatively quick championship run with her post-Bayley, but if she's crapping up the place for a long period of time, won't it have an adverse effect on the perception of NXT in the long run? Seems like a bad long-term strategy, unless she actually improves in the ring (I don't think she will -- although I still haven't watched Wednesday's show!).

And I still think that she's currently a hazard to her wrasslepals' health.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That Bayley/Eva Marie title match was the best thing on NXT since the last TakeOver special. Not unwatchable in any way.

Eva Marie has been around since 2013, so a single match being interesting isn't exactly a good rate :lol

Yeah, I feel like they could still salvage a relatively quick championship run with her post-Bayley, but if she's crapping up the place for a long period of time, won't it have an adverse effect on the perception of NXT in the long run? Seems like a bad long-term strategy, unless she actually improves in the ring (I don't think she will -- although I still haven't watched Wednesday's show!).

And I still think that she's currently a hazard to her wrasslepals' health.

I still have no idea if Asuka is a face or a heel or just an unstoppable kicking machine.
I expect interference in the TakeOver match to keep the title on Bayley a little longer.

Zach

Eva Marie has been around since 2013, so a single match being interesting isn't exactly a good rate :lol

I still have no idea if Asuka is a face or a heel or just an unstoppable kicking machine.

Yeah, you're not getting much bang for your buck there...

Asuka's a bad-a face, right?

Aiii

So not worth it

Yeah. With eberyone else there it's a "developmental, they are there to learn" thing, but with Eva it is obvious she doesn't get that pass. She is on Total Divas and was put on Raw without any training so she obviously sucked, so fuck her. Doesn't matter that it wasn't her choice. She just took a good job to come on as the rookie on Total Divas. She doesn't get credit that she then took a step back, took basic wrestling training with THE Brian Kendrick and now works in the developmental center every day and on NXT to actually become a proper wrestler... Succesfully at that. She has been improving greatly, much like girls like Dana and Alexa did, but because she is Eva, some people will give her shit until the end of days.

Fact is, the Eva we see on TV now has only been wrestling legit since the end of last spring some time. Which is a lot less than most women before they get put on NXT TV, too. The progress is, in fact, rather impressive. Thanks to the developmental center and Eva's own commitment. Good on them, and good on her.

Top Bottom