• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Soup Bar

ov31ym5.gif

4r7vqlO.gif

I have a feeling that's why he misses now.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Have any of you ever cried at wrestling before?

I have. Once when I was ten in 2000. It was Survivor Series I think? Stone Cold vs Triple H. At the end Triple H was in a car and Austin lifted him up with a forklift and dropped the car upside down with Triple H still in it. I genuinely thought I just watched Triple H die and started crying. Is 10 too old to still believe it's real? Probably. It was still real to me damnit. My dad had to explain to me that he wasn't really in the car.

Another more recent time was at the end of Sasha vs Bayley 2. That just hit me right in he feels.

Share your wrestling crying stories.

I have. Once when I was ten in 2000. It was Survivor Series I think? Stone Cold vs Triple H. At the end Triple H was in a car and Austin lifted him up with a forklift and dropped the car upside down with Triple H still in it. I genuinely thought I just watched Triple H die and started crying. Is 10 too old to still believe it's real? Probably. It was still real to me damnit. My dad had to explain to me that he wasn't really in the car.

Another more recent time was at the end of Sasha vs Bayley 2. That just hit me right in he feels.

I was watching Over the Edge '99 live on PPV... ;_;

I also cried hard when I found out Eddie Guerrero passed away.

Caderfix

I never cried, but as a child it's easy to get emotional about stuff, just like that little girl that gave the death look to the Miz.

Sting's last match made me somewhat emotional, as I saw a childhood favorite literally falling down and still pushing himself to the end of the match. That made me respect the performers even more.

Also, I'd say that believing wrestling is real at the age of 10 is pretty common, unless someone tells you it's not and stuff.

When I was a kid and the hitman lost the belt a mere night after winning it at the final four thanks to the interference of stone cold and the undertaker I was furrrriiooussss and crying~

I had a friend that went into a legit bawling fit when Kane debuted and cost the undertaker the hell in the cell match :O

Menome

I may have shed a tear at the end of Sasha vs Bayley at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn. Considering I had bugger-all idea who either woman was before I watched that match, it obviously had quite the impact.

Does anyone listen to Cheap Heat? David Shoemaker had an interesting idea to help spice up wrestling for smarks. The ideas was to make it more sports like which results in splitting Raw & Smackdown again. There wouldn't be multiple titles or separate PPV, but instead Wrestlemania would be the PPV where they compete against each other for the "championship" to crown whom is the best for the year. So make WM actually like the superbowl.

The added parts he had were that instead of making it like the power struggle it was before, in a case where a star gets hurt (say Rollins) the Raw team could "trade" to the Smackdown team. So hypothetical, Raw could trade Finn to Smackdown and get Wrestler XYZ in return.

He said to make this really go over have a weekly show where there is more behind the scenes with the teams discussing how to book and such to get over in ratings.

It's a crazy idea and really blurs the lines even more, but it's definitely different. LU isn't setting viewership records, but I think given it's universal praise from smarcks it shows doing something drastically different can work.

Colocho

Banned
Also, I'd say that believing wrestling is real at the age of 10 is pretty common, unless someone tells you it's not and stuff.

I was the complete opposite at that age. I immediately knew everything was fake because no one would actually fight like that in real life, but I went to the extreme with it, I thought every single bump was fake also, like they were video game characters and nothing would hurt them. For example, when I saw Mankind fall of the hell in a cell cage, I thought "That couldn't have hurt him, it's all fake"

I guess you could say I worked myself into a work.

Recall

Every year for a week or two I fall back in to obsessively playing Fire Pro D.

All the online resources for helping my double VMU memory card sized roster grow have seemingly vanished. Nothing exists in regards to edits for D, all search results just show info about the inferior Returns title for PS2.

So I've taken it upon myself to find images of wrestlers online and creating my missing wrestlers on my own and it's made for an incredible few days so far. Quite pleased with how so many have come out especially with some of the restrictions the edit mode has.

Watched HBK vs Taker from WM25 again too and Taker's dive is still cringeworthy, it was a miracle how he didn't break his neck.

Either hurt, buried or a combination of the two.
The above applies to everyone not named The New Day. Somehow they're still over and healthy.
That's because they're doing the cycle in reverse, they started off buried and clawed their way through the dirt.

Meanwhile also at 10 years old I was celebrating the cerebral assassin getting crushed, that whole segment still tickles me.
"ahhh yer history ya son of a bitch!"
"oh my god austin, don't d-HOLY SHIT!"

But it was still real to me briefly when I first started watching, I was getting so shook at Rock being brutalised in a cage prior to Backlash 2000 by Trips that mother dearest had to point out to me that it's fake.
I spent about 30 minutes feeling like a fool, and then realised why it made sense that HHH's sledgehammer was a recurring tool, and not one of death.

(also yes Bailey's win brought the big time feels)

Recall

I cried when Benoit won the belt and cried when he murdered his family and furiously destroyed my belief he was a hero.

I'm not too proud to admit that I shed a tear when I learned that Piper died. He was one of the few wrestlers that I got to speak to a couple of times over the last 5-6 years. He was such a good hearted man that I hated to see him go so soon.

Outside of that, I wept like a baby at 9 years old when Warrior beat Hogan.

Never cried but Eddie's death hit me good. Benoit's hit me harder before I knew what actually went down.

Striker

You can look back at the Hogan era and practically every single guy had a theme that perfectly fit their character. Now it's generic rock/hip hop for generic caw.

Rick Rude had the best themes. Went from Smooth Operator in WCCW, to the stripper theme in WWF, to the GOAT- Simply Ravishing in WCW.

The only recent theme I think is top class is Sasha Bank's.

shanafan

You can look back at the Hogan era and practically every single guy had a theme that perfectly fit their character. Now it's generic rock/hip hop for generic caw.

I think because everyone is more sensitive today, and do not like stereotypes.

Would we ever see an Iraq angle like Slaughter did back in the early 90s? Does the Asian tag team always have to come out to Asian-inspired music? Does the millionaire white man need an African American as his servant?

We are in 2016, and WWE has to be more PC, hence why it is the PG era.

klonere

Banned
God I cannot get over how disappointing that NXT main event was. It was a repeat of the title match just with a very flat finish instead of a Corbin DQ.

You've got Uhaa Nation struggling with headlocks for 50+% of the match, Balor has completely fallen into the WWE style of nothing matters for the first 3/4 of a match then I hit my big spots and win. Like, a bad Randy Orton match. I know its a TV match but something a bit more than an extended squash would be nice. Crews got to hit his press/moonsault and miss a moonsault to the outside along with some perfunctory clotheslines in the corner as his offense, that's it....

That's 3 or 4 pretty terrible NXT's in a row. At least the Asuka squash was intense, the jobber they had for her seemed a lot better than some of the NXT homegrown talent.

Rewatching WM31's main event.

That pop when Seth's music hits. Seth-kun... ;_;

xsPjYCc.gif

He will return. Stronger, faster, better.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
1-2 scenarios that I would like past wrestlemania

1. HHH still champ, Seth comes back, wants to take the title off HHH (sort of thanks for keeping it warm for me while I was gone), HHH ego gets in the way. Leads to Rollins slowly turning face

2. Reigns turns heel, wins wrestlemania however have it a triple threat where Reigns turns on Ambrose. Seth comes back face and declares he wants back what he never lost, small feud with Reigns.

1. HHH still champ, Seth comes back, wants to take the title off HHH (sort of thanks for keeping it warm for me while I was gone), HHH ego gets in the way. Leads to Rollins slowly turning face

2. Reigns turns heel, wins wrestlemania however have it a triple threat where Reigns turns on Ambrose. Seth comes back face and declares he wants back what he never lost, small feud with Reigns.

Reality: Seth comes back as the NA rep of the league of nations.

Striker

I think because everyone is more sensitive today, and do not like stereotypes.

Would we ever see an Iraq angle like Slaughter did back in the early 90s? Does the Asian tag team always have to come out to Asian-inspired music? Does the millionaire white man need an African American as his servant?

We are in 2016, and WWE has to be more PC, hence why it is the PG era.
I'm not talking being more conservative among picking out gimmicks (though the show in that era was also a PG program, so...). But it's been proven when you do the foreign heel and do it hard (ahem, this guy), you can get major heat. Where are the heels? Your 'heel' champion of 2015 was wrestling like he was a babyface.

As for the themes, you're missing it. You look at Hogan, the Warrior, Macho Man, Big Bossman, Mr. Perfect, Ricky Steamboat, Demolition, Ted Dibiase, Rick Rude, list goes on. Each guy here had a specific character but had a personality at behind it with a suitable theme. Today it's just generic dudes fit with an apropos generic theme song. Aside from a few.

Caderfix

Your 'heel' champion of 2015 was wrestling like he was a babyface.

I don't quite get that.

Ok, he was doing impressive moves and spots, but why does that makes him less of a heel? Can't a heel be athletic and impressive? Honestly, the idea that a heel shouldn't "wow" people makes no sense to me. As long as he/she's not a good person and is constantly doing bad things to faces, he/she is a heel.

Rewatching WM31's main event.

That pop when Seth's music hits. Seth-kun... ;_;

Such a whirlwind of emotions that main event was.

'Holy shit, they're letting Brock just destroy Roman"
"Oh no, they're actually going to have Roman win"
'SETH!!!!"
"Oh no he's only out there so Roman doesn't have to get pinned"
"Okay, he's only out there so Brock doesn't have to get pinned by Roman"
'HOLY SHIT JDFLJALFKJLJ"

Sad to say a HHH vs. Reigns ending will fail to live up to the last two endings of WM, unless they pull a surprise MitB match at WM out of their ass, and have Ambrose cash in at the end, to mirror's last year, leading to Roman turning heel on Ambrose later on.

Even though Seth was booked terribly he's still one of my favorites. Dude can work and puts on a great performance. He deserves his title back dammit when he returns.

Oersted

What will actual happen:

Rollins wants title from Roman.

HHH screws Rollins over.

Rollins vs HHH, Brock vs Roman

Cagey

Banned
I don't quite get that.

Ok, he was doing impressive moves and spots, but why does that makes him less of a heel? Can't a heel be athletic and impressive? Honestly, the idea that a heel shouldn't "wow" people makes no sense to me. As long as he/she's not a good person and is constantly doing bad things to faces, he/she is a heel.

The heel is supposed to make you hate him. Seth wrestled like he was back in ROH and pulling out all of the tricks to make the crowd like him, as if wrestling was a neutral gymnastics performance and not hero/villain driven storytelling.

…The reason I’m leaving is you people. Because after I’m gone, you’re still going to pour money into this company. I’m just a spoke on the wheel. The wheel is going to keep turning and I understand that. Vince McMahon is going to make money despite himself. He’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire. You know why he’s not a billionaire? Because he surrounds himself with glad-handed, nonsensical, douchebag (censored) yes men, like John Laurinaitis, who’s going to tell him everything he wants to hear, and I’d like to think that maybe this company will better after Vince McMahon is dead. But the fact is, it’s going to be taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family.”

klonere

Banned
I'm not talking being more conservative among picking out gimmicks (though the show in that era was also a PG program, so...). But it's been proven when you do the foreign heel and do it hard (ahem, this guy), you can get major heat. Where are the heels? Your 'heel' champion of 2015 was wrestling like he was a babyface.

As for the themes, you're missing it. You look at Hogan, the Warrior, Macho Man, Big Bossman, Mr. Perfect, Ricky Steamboat, Demolition, Ted Dibiase, Rick Rude, list goes on. Each guy here had a specific character but had a personality at behind it with a suitable theme. Today it's just generic dudes fit with an apropos generic theme song. Aside from a few.

There is close to zero creative energy on the main roster. Tyler Breeze's gimmick could draw super heat, I mean look at some of the most hated/controversial celebrities out there. Who wouldn't want to see a facsimile of Justin Bieber/Zayn Malik get the shit kicked out of them? Bieber is one of life's biggest heels right now.

But Vince probably has some weird hangup about Breeze so he is worse than useless as a talent right now.

Seth....well I agree, as the year rolled on, especially against Cena he wrestled a very babyface style. But his initial feuds against Orton, Ambrose etc he won through fuckery and was not doing all that much. Which incidentally made all those matches quite eh. The Orton/Rollins Mania match was a gif. Cena told all the agents to go and fuck themselves at some point of the year and started having ROH main event kickout 1000 move matches against anyone who wanted to, the most egregious of those being the Owens series which was a bunch of zero physiology cotton candy wrestling. Then Seth character totally degenerated into being an ultra bitch who constantly looked to Mom and Dad for approval and got pinned by his own geek security goons. He was explictly being set up to be the new HHH and instead got lower card heel booking.

Remember when he threatened to kill Edge? I miss that Seth...

As for foreign heels, they don't have much legs (Rusev is now jobber status) and the WWE don't have the creative ability to do them with any sense of subtly or class which makes them very hard to do without being grossly offensive.

JavyOO7

Rollins is shows too much showmanship with his offense so I can see why one would say he's a face instead of a heel.

You gotta be like Owens but even he falls into the showmanship trap. But he does things that are really bad guy-like. Shows intensity, jeers at the crowd, walks away from a confrontation when faced with a baby face days before their match, etc...

Caderfix

The heel is supposed to make you hate him. Seth wrestled like he was back in ROH and pulling out all of the tricks to make the crowd like him, as if wrestling was a neutral gymnastics performance and not hero/villain driven storytelling.

He was pulling the tricks to show how good he is while screwing many baby faces.

That's the part where I disagree. The "movez", as some say, are just a added bonus, making the bad guy look good and worthy of the title.

EDIT: I don't agree with the line of thinking that things should be black and white, as, in my opinion, grey works very well and is far more exciting. Heels don't need to not impress or run from confrontation, and faces don't need be 100% clean or overcome all odds.

Top Bottom