• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Sephzilla

Of course it was good. Lucha Underground doesn't need this question.

6xQx9YT.gif

I guess you're right

What event? I can't check out the link right now. Please refer to this delightful Google spreadsheet: goo.gl/dYRXTV
It's time should've gotten a B- at least lol
It felt like somebody backstage yelled "But kids love the circus!" 5 minutes before he was supposed to go on.

Smackdown from like 2003 to 2010 is wacky like that though. The big buildup to Mordecai only to kill him off in 2 months. Hade Vansen vignettes teasing a feud with the Undertaker and then he never wrestled a match on TV. Eric Escobar's entire 3 month career.
I was going to mention how SD had so Kent great guys to get vignettes but come for a gew matches and they're gone. Mordecai is probably the biggest one imo.

Vince hated his debut with a fiery passion and thought he sucked. He was never on TV again and was released less than two months after that debut where he actually beat M.V.P.
I still don't know why they put him against MVP either.

Kaladin

One thing I don't get. Classic WWE mixed in fantasy and science fiction story telling elements well. Hell, some of the Undertaker stuff was even on the level of Lucha Underground.

Why can't they bring that back to their product today?

Sephzilla

One thing I don't get. Classic WWE mixed in fantasy and science fiction story telling elements well. Hell, some of the Undertaker stuff was even on the level of Lucha Underground.

It would require some decent writers

Fox318

Meltzer's podcast with Cornette was sorta eye opening.

When Meltzer talked about how the average WWE viewer was in his mid 20s in the late 90s, and now 20 years later the average WWE viewer is in their mid 40s....

Product is dying because it targets kids who grow up to not watch it anymore.

If this was anyone other entertainment product they would change the writers or people making creative decisions with research like that.

thefro

Sad to see him go, and I loved the BullFit gimmick, but let's be real, he never was going to get on the main roster.

I was surprised he even got signed, but it was a pretty different system. He does have a different look but I never saw the wrasslin' ability.

Kaladin

If this was anyone other entertainment product they would change the writers or people making creative decisions with research like that.

Yep. Look at other long running series. Take Harry Potter for instance. As Harry Potter and the viewers got older, the series went from YA to more of an epic fantasy series.

Even some of the more well written kids TV series have grown up as their characters and audience have grown up.

Exactly! You target your average viewers. Hell you can get kids interested in almost anything but keep your alumni happy.

Sephzilla

I'm not entirely surprised Bull quit NXT. He showed up with kind of a dumb look and then shortly after he arrived, Corbin and Owens arrived and both promptly stole his "big unstoppable heel" gimmick and did it better.

Kaladin

I'm not entirely surprised Bull quit NXT. He showed up with kind of a dumb look and then shortly after he arrived, Corbin and Owens arrived and both promptly stole his "big unstoppable heel" gimmick and did it better.

At least he got to try a comedy gimmick instead of being lost in the shuffle. Bull Fit is likely something he can run with post NXT.

Sephzilla

BullFit was a fun gimmick for about 3 weeks. But then it was clear he was never going to actually slim down or change anything about him besides smiling a bit more. Oh well, at least I got to see him wrestle in Green Bay against The Drifter Elias Sampson.

Read this interview with Kevin Thorne, it's always cool to read about the new ECW and guys you loved. I wish that he talked about Mordecai.

LycanXIII

Don't think he quit. Marcus Louis and Sylvester Lefort are gone today too.

I hate to use the PG talk, but the PG era makes that a very fine line to walk. It requires you to have very good writers who know how to intertwine dark and YA type story without it being too over the top.

I hate to use the PG talk, but the PG era makes that a very fine line to walk. It requires you to have very good writers who know how to intertwine dark and YA type story without it being too over the top.
Also like someone mentioned, Vince isnt the sole owner of WWE anymore. These advertisers are owners as well, they control this lite product.

Kaladin

Bull Dempsey was never a guy who would be more than a low card comedy gimmick in WWE. But he can go to some indie and make good money because of his name recognition and good work rate for that kind of wrestler.

I can see him in a Colt Cabana type really, but he'll never be as good as Cabana has been.

Kaladin

True, and that is just not the kind of writers they're hiring these days. I think it is safe to say we will never have another character like Undertaker or Mankind. They tried with The Wyatt Family, but it just didn't work.

MC Safety

Also like someone mentioned, Vince isnt the sole owner of WWE anymore. These advertisers are owners as well, they control this lite product.

It's not so much sole ownership (although that does play a part) as it is the need to grow the brand.

You look at comic books and it's the snake eating its own tail. The industry has catered to its existing fan base for years to the exclusion of new readers. The WWE needs to grow, and to do that it has to gain a younger audience.

Also, not that anyone will take this to heart, but there's a cautionary tale about something being too insular to perpetuate itself.

It's not so much sole ownership (although that does play a part) as it is the need to grow the brand.

You look at comic books and it's the snake eating its own tail. The industry has catered to its existing fan base for years to the exclusion of new readers. The WWE needs to grow, and to do that it has to gain a younger audience.

Also, not that anyone will take this to heart, but there's a cautionary tale about something being too insular to perpetuate itself.
I still think it's easier to get kids involved more so than it is adults. As long as it looks like fun, littles ones fall in line. But shit, my younger cousin who once liked it, stopped paying attention when he got into maybe the 7th grade. He saw it wasn't as interesting as it once was. Even though I'm still in it strong lol.

Also they did cater to the little kids, that's been the problem these past years. They abandoned the core.

I need Brock to do this Roman

10814%20-%20Jack_Doan%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20gillberg%20referee%20spear%20sunday_night_heat%20tiger_ali-singh%20wwf.gif

Also, what do you all think of AJ being in the dog house due to signing a deal with those one people to make his action figures?

Also, I would rather have Dempsey's low card comedy act than pretending like we're supposed to take Samson's shitty Drifter gimmick seriously.

DMczaf

Seriously tho, AJ's flying forearms are getting over with the standard WWE crowds. You could see the crowd physically pop when he does it.

Sephzilla

Watched the JBL/Ron Simmons thing last night, pretty good watch. Ron seems like a cool dude

Also, I would rather have Dempsey's low card comedy act than pretending like we're supposed to take Samson's shitty Drifter gimmick seriously.

The Drifter is so goddamn boring. I'm kind of surprised Full Sail hasn't turned on him yet.

Everything post carefully or there will be....trouble.

I won't stand for this gimmick infringment

Top Bottom